Definitions For Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One of Four Parts)

Richard Ballard

Oct 10, 2003, 4:29:24 PM10/10/03
Copyright 2003 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

<*> Parts Two, Three and Four are contained in concurrent messages
titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part
Two/Three/Four of Four Parts)", respectively. I provide an
accompanying list of Wicca-related references in subsequent
messages entitled "A Reference List for Prospective Wiccan Novices
(Part One/Two of Two Parts)", respectively.

<*> The evening of October 30th [midnight October 31st Stonehenge
time] brings the sabbat Samhain (pronounced Sow-in, Sah-vin, or
Sahm-hayn), a celebration of the harvest season's end. Samhain
marks the Wiccan God's death in some European Traditions -- the
Crone Goddess mourns the God's passing for the next six weeks.
Samhain marks winter's beginning and is a time to celebrate the
eternal wheel of reincarnation. Samhain falls opposite Beltane
[midnight May 1st Stonehenge time, summer's beginning] on the
Wheel of the Year. Beltane (summer's beginning) and Samhain
(the harvest season's end) are the two most important sabbats.

<*> European monarchs marked the sabbat's beginning by lighting
balefires (bonfires -- 'balefire' is an English word meaning
'boon' or 'extra') typically on the highest hills. Having sex
with ladies from the families of lesser nobility was included
within the balefire ritual. Lesser nobility then could light
their own balefires on lower hills, and could begin their own
celebrations (and themselves have sex with ladies from the
families of lesser nobility or commoners). The ritual sex included
within the balefire celebrations equates to the Aristocracy's
(e.g., the King's, Baron's, or local landowner's) 'first night'
privileges -- the Aristocracy's right to control who could
marry whom and the Aristocracy's right to bed any young lady
first on her wedding night. The balefire ritual replenished
the Aristocracy's energy and symbolically blessed the young
ladies bedded by the Aristocrats. The balefire ritual also
maintained the continuity of the Aristocracy -- 'the pecking
order' is a time-honored tradition.

<*> British and Irish Pagans lit their own Samhain balefires
on lesser hilltops after sunset on October 30. The Pagans'
balefires focused the dead God's energy, pushed back the
darkness, repelled evil, and purified the hilltop's ritual space.
The balefire rituals and concurrent harvest celebration also
tangibly reminded the Pagans about the Aristocracy's (e.g.,
the King's, Baron's, or local landowner's) real power over
the Pagans: "Winter is coming -- wanna eat?"

Coven initiations [both "robed" initiations and "skyclad" (naked)
initiations] are performed on Samhain. Witches commune with the
dead on Samhain, holding their ritual Feast of the Dead and
celebrating the eternal cycle of reincarnation. Necromancy
spells and rituals performed during Samhain are more likely
to succeed.

In the United States, Samhain sometimes is celebrated in
conjunction with a Halloween party. With Samhain approaching,
many Wiccans are discussing Wicca more openly, and many of
their friends are hearing about Wicca for the first time. These
friends might ask "How can I learn about Wicca?"

I wish to offer some basic definitions. But before offering
these definitions I must state that I am _not_ a Wiccan, a witch,
a Pagan or a satanist. People ask me "Why are you providing these
definitions on the Internet?" One reason is that I heard about
Wicca in an acquaintance's chance comment, and learning details
about Paganism and Wicca has cost me much time and trouble. Another
reason I provide these definitions is the flood of negativism on the
Pagan- and Wicca-related Internet newsgroups. It appears that
everybody has a license to criticize and complain, but few have a
license to make a positive contribution.

I have defined my documents' current scope: Providing information
about 21st Century Pagan and Wiccan practices based upon my reading,
my Internet newsgroup participation, and my arms-length observations
in my locale. IMO this is the information that _not committed_
prospective Wiccan novices seek. Assembling that information cost
me much time and trouble -- time and trouble that _not committed_
prospective Wiccan novices can avoid by reading my documents. In
the future (and time permitting) I might enlarge the scope of my
documents to include the historical Pagan and Wiccan definitions and
references preferred by conservative and _already committed_ Pagans
and Wiccans.

Some basic definitions:

A) I believe that *Magick* is the goal-oriented use of Chaos,
a different term than 'magic' which refers to 'stage magic'
(prestidigitation).

Magick is strongly based in human sexuality. Human sexuality
can be a magickal goal, but need not be. More often human
sexuality is one magickal means used to achieve a goal. Human
fertility magick and agricultural fertility magick are religion
for Wiccans, and some Wiccans might state that fertility (not
human sexuality) is the important part of Wicca. I believe that
many Magickians would smile and reply 'There is more than one
way to worship the Goddess.'

People have protested about my above statement "some
Wiccans might state that fertility (not human sexuality) is the
important part of Wicca." "some" is not an attempt to "cover
all of Wicca". However, Wicca is primarily a Goddess-worshipping
religion. Mother is one of the Wiccan Goddess's three personas.
Women who treasure their fertility are common among Wiccans.
And in a downsizing United States economy with increasing
un(der)employment and competition, I predict that many currently
working women will decide to interrupt their work careers to
explore motherhood -- a financially (and sometimes emotionally)
expensive long term quest for _both_ partners that decreased
Government revenues for day care and education will _not_ lighten.

Magick sometimes is described as being dark or light magick.
Dark magick (sometimes called left-handed magick) tends to be
obscuring, domineering and obstructing _chaotic_ magick used
with little regard for ethics or morality. [Imagine the most
misleading pre-election political advertisements possible --
a perfect example of chaotic dark magick. Misleading statements
can produce chaotic (magickal) results.] Dark magick often
is associated with satanism and has gained popularity in the
past several years. Light magick (sometimes called right-handed
magick) tends to be illuminating, clarifying, non-interfering
and empowering _benign_ magick used beneficently.

Magick sometimes is described as being low magick or high
magick. Low magick typically denotes simple magick spells
performed by individuals. High magick typically denotes
ceremonial magick rituals usually performed by groups. Both
complexity and the number of participants differentiate high
magick from low magick. Ritual tools and complexity help
focus and strengthen magickal power, while participation in
group rituals helps focus individuals' magick powers into one
coherent force.

Despite vocal opposition, I stand upon my statement that
High Magick _typically_ denotes ceremonial magick rituals
usually performed by like-minded groups of people. This
definition is based both upon my reading and upon my life
experience. One purpose of ceremony is to strengthen group
members' common efforts -- like-minded individuals sharing
a common experience are bound closer together by common
(deliberately impressive ceremonial) perspective. Participants'
group-related efforts are better focused and mutually
reinforced -- this is basic psychology. An individual
ceremonial ritual can focus one person's attention, but no
mutual reinforcement among like-minded group members is
possible within individual ceremonial rituals.

B) *Chaos* is a generic term -- it can describe global warfare
or a squealing infant. (Any person wondering how I equate a
squealing infant with chaos should not sleep several consecutive
nights due to a crying cholically infant, and observe how their
own mental performance and mood deteriorates.) I believe that
Magickians are individuals who utilize (and sometimes purposefully
create) Chaos in order to realize their own goals.

Most people are _reactively_ familiar with the so-called
Murphy's Law: 'What ever can go wrong will'. Chaos Magickians
utilize Murphy's Law _PROactively_ -- they purposefully create
an environment and situations where events are likely to go
wrong with confusing, tiring, resource-wasting and demoralizing
effects upon the participants. The Chaos Magickian's long-term
goal is to force the (energy- and resource-) exhausted victim
to submit to the Magickian's purpose. For example, traveling
in circles within a slow-moving reluctant bureaucracy is a
soporific form of Chaos Magick.

A group making continuous trivial insults (or making
continuous empty or real threats) is another example of
Chaos Magick. Like a group stoning an individual with pebbles,
the significance of each insult/threat is minimal but the
combined effect is tiring and demoralizing. Why do I equate
deliberate insults/threats to Chaos Magick? Psychological
intimidation in the form of personal uncertainty can cause
mental distraction and confusion, with resultant impairment
of concentration leading to dysfunctional behaviour and/or
impaired performance, in turn leading to additional distraction
and confusion -- i.e., self-reinforcing chaos. Spoken
flippantly, repeated trivial insults and threats could drive
a man to drink (or worse).

IMO the Wiccan greeting 'Blessed be' is a mixed blessing.
'Blessed be' can denote the benign wish "May your attempts at
pregnancy be successful." 'Blessed be(e)' also can denote the
pin used to poke holes in a condom to facilitate pregnancy and
subsequent forced marriage, an act that _either_ partner can
initiate -- sexually transmitted diseases can complicate this
action. (I discuss other 'blessed be' interpretations in
the 'Definitions Part Three' message.)

Some people say that 'Blessed Be' is a mere greeting
meaning nothing more than Goodbye and Goodluck and that I am
stretching this greeting's intention to preposterous levels.

I stand on my statements based upon common language
usage in my locale. And based upon the downsizing United States
domestic economy with high un(der)employment and record credit
levels, I anticipate that many people (a gender-independent term)
will consider marriage as one solution to their worsening
financial problems.

C) Historically (and ironically) the word *craftsman* (and its
modern variant *craftsperson*) has referred to a perfectionist
whose work is beyond reproach -- Chaos-free. Yet those who
practice Magick often are said to practice 'The Craft'.

D) According to Scott Cunningham's well-regarded text "Wicca:
A Guide For The Solitary Practioner" (pg. 63), the eight *sabbats*
are days of power. Four sabbats coincide with Solstices and
Equinoxes (the beginnings of the four seasons), and the other four
sabbats are based upon ancient folk festivals, including those of
the ancient Near East.

Within her text "Inside A Witches' Coven" Ms. Edain McCoy states
(pg. 140) that the origin of the word sabbat is the Greek word
'sabatu' meaning 'to rest'.

I believe that the word sabbat also shares linguistic roots with
the Hebrew words Saba (e.g., Sheba, an ancient kingdom of southern
Arabia), Sabaism (the worship of stars and the heavens), Shebat
(the fifth month of the Jewish calendar that roughly coincides
with Imbolg), and 'shabbath' [to rest; (i.e., Sabbath, a period
of rest)].

Some Covens perform _no magic_ during sabbats, treating sabbats
as occasions for rest and rejoicing. Other Covens view sabbats
as a time for powerful magick (often fertility magick). Whether
magick is performed during a sabbat celebration depends upon a
Coven's Tradition.

*****End of Part One*****

The comments contained herein are my opinions. This message
was not solicited by Amazon.com, any author, any artist, or their
agent(s), publisher(s), producer(s) or distributor(s).

I am _not_ an Islamic or Judaic scholar.

I am _not_ legally qualified to provide medical, psychological,
legal, financial or religious opinions, but I have discussed some
issues with my Attorney and have read extensively in these areas.
I have strong opinions.

202.5 cm. 99.1 kg.
I got no problems.
Other people got problems.

$10K rise in new home costs
due to higher plywood prices?
$600K for a starter house in LA?
What about gas for the Chevy?
'Life in the trailer park'
is a *long* sentence.

There is short term thinking,
there is long term thinking, and
there is a time and a place for both.
05:35:09 _8:35:03
1 02 03 06 09
21 8 23 05

Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
--
Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging & security
Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
Last book review: "Combatting Cult Mind Control"
by Steven Hassan

Richard Ballard

Dec 2, 2003, 6:44:05 AM12/2/03
Copyright 2003 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

Parts Two, Three and Four are contained in concurrent copyrighted

messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part
Two/Three/Four of Four Parts)", respectively. I provide an
accompanying list of Wicca-related references in subsequent

copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for Prospective

Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two of Two Parts)", respectively.

<*> IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.
On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
"A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
on this Internet newsgroup.

<*> December 22 is the sabbat Yule, The Winter Solstice. When
the Wheel of the Year turns to Yule, the Wiccan God (who died
at Samhain -- October 31st) is reborn of the fertile Goddess.
During Yule the Wiccan Goddess and the reborn Wiccan God are
reunited. At the Spring Sabbat they will conceive the son
who becomes the reborn Wiccan God at next year's Yule sabbat.

<*> On this, the longest night of the year, the Wiccan God is
represented by the sun which returns in longer days to again
bring warmth and fertility to the land. Yule's importance is
based upon Pagan times, when the season's increasing darkness
and cold required that the sun (the God) be lured back to the
fertile earth (the Goddess in her mother role). During Yule
ritual celebrations the High Priest and High Priestess (or a
pair of selected individuals) symbolize the God and Goddess
reunited.

<*> Some Wiccan Traditions alternate their God personna. The
Oak King rules as Horned God from the Winter Solstice (Yule,
December 22nd) through the Summer Solstice (Midsummer,
June 22nd) and the Holly King rules as the Horned God from
Summer Solstice through Winter Solstice. These Traditions
might stage a Yule ritual battle symbolizing the Oak King
vanquishing the Holly King -- in a Midsummer ritual battle the
Holly King will vanquish the Oak King. This 'changing of the
Kings' marks the annual cycle of the sun, and can symbolize
the seasonal change of Wiccan partners.

<*> In Greek mythos the goddess Persephone (Proserpine) alternately
spent six months belowground in Hades as Pluto's queen and
consort, and six months aboveground with her mother Ceres, the
goddess of fertility and abundance. The earth was barren and
cold while Persephone's mother Ceres mourned during the six
months Persephone spent with Pluto. The earth was fertile and
warm during the six months Persephone spent with Ceres.

<*> In the Twenty First Century with its high divorce rates another
analogy can be drawn. Children of divorced parents often live
with each of their biological parents during a portion of the
year. Yule and Midsummer (end of the school year) are times
when childrens' transition between parents might occur.

<*> Yule is the most celebrated of all the Sabbats -- the return
of the sun's light and warmth is a universal concern and customs
marking the sun's return have pervaded other cultures and
religions. For example, the Norse Tradition of a twelve-day-long
Yule celebration probably is reflected in the song "The Twelve
Days of Christmas". And wreaths (popular decorations during the
Christmas holiday) symbolize The Wheel of Life in Pagan cultures.

<*> Other Pagan cultures used fire to symbolize the return of the
sun. Many of these cultures tended perpetual flames or candles
throughout the year. At Yule the flames were allowed to burn
out and the candles were extinguished. Then the fires were
rekindled and the candles were relit, joyously symbolizing the
return of the sun. Lovers celebrated a rekindling of their
romantic love along with the rekindling of the perpetual flames.
Sometimes the extinguishing and rekindling of perpetual flames
was accompanied by a seasonal change of Pagan partners.

With this Sabbat approaching, many Wiccans are discussing Wicca

Some basic definitions:

*****End of Part One*****

I got no problems.
Other people got problems.
00: 21 _8 02 03/35 06 09

Richard Ballard

Jan 14, 2004, 11:04:14 AM1/14/04
Copyright 2003, 2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.

Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

Parts Two, Three and Four are contained in concurrent copyrighted
messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan Novices
(Part Two/Three/Four of Four Parts)", respectively. I provide
an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in subsequent
copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for Prospective
Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two of Two Parts)", respectively.

IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.

On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
"A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
on this Internet newsgroup.

<*> February 2 is the sabbat Imbolg (pronounced Em-bowl'-g).
Imbolg, (also called Imbolc and Oimelc, words that both translate
as "ewe's milk"), originated as a celebration honoring The Goddess's
attempt to end harsh hungry Winter and hasten warm balmy Spring by
luring back the God, who represented the warm sun. The Greeks and
Romans dedicated this celebration to their Goddesses of Love (Diana
and Venus, respectively). On this day the Irish celebrated
St. Bridget's Day -- young women (representing virgins) dressed
in old worn clothing went door-to-door begging for alms. On Imbolg
the French celebrate The Feast Day of St. Blaize, the saint of
winter protection and healing. Imbolg also has been called
Candlemas in Anglo-Saxon cultures because of the custom of lighting
a circle of candles (ritual fires) to hasten the return of the Sun
and the return of Spring's warmth. Often the candles substitute
for the celebratory outdoor balefires that create an lovemaking
atmosphere during other sabbats -- the ritual performed within
the circle of candles is obvious.

<*> In the United States Imbolg coincides with Groundhog's Day,
a day when the groundhog Punxsutawney Phil rises from his winter
slumber and seeks his shadow. No shadow indicates an early Spring,
while a strong shadow indicates six more weeks of harsh Winter.

<*> All these celebrations share a common theme: hastening the
end of the harsh hungry Winter and hastening the return of
Spring with its agricultural fertility.

With this sabbat approaching, many Wiccans are discussing Wicca

more openly, and many of their friends are hearing about Wicca
for the first time. These friends might ask "How can I learn
about Wicca?"

<*> I wish to offer some basic definitions. But before offering

these definitions I must state that I am _not_ a Wiccan, a witch,
a Pagan or a satanist. People ask me "Why are you providing these
definitions on the Internet?" One reason is that I heard about
Wicca in an acquaintance's chance comment, and learning details

about Paganism and Wicca has cost me (and continues to cost me)

much time and trouble. Another reason I provide these definitions
is the flood of negativism on the Pagan- and Wicca-related Internet
newsgroups. It appears that everybody has a license to criticize
and complain, but few have a license to make a positive contribution.

<*> I have defined my documents' current scope: Providing information

about 21st Century Pagan and Wiccan practices based upon my reading,
my Internet newsgroup participation, and my arms-length observations
in my locale. IMO this is the information that _not committed_
prospective Wiccan novices seek. Assembling that information cost

(and continues to cost) me much time and trouble -- time and trouble

Some basic definitions:

[...]

possible within individual ceremonial rituals. At the mundane
level, High Magick relates to Low Magick as chaos-causing conspiracy
relates to one individual's attempts to create disruptive chaos.

<*> Both Magickians and Magicians (i.e., Prestidigitators)
employ chaos within their Craft. Chaos confuses and distracts
the Magickian and Magician's subjects, making the subjects
more susceptible to suggestion and influence.

IMO the Wiccan greeting 'Blessed be' is a mixed blessing.
'Blessed be' can denote the benign wish "May your attempts at
pregnancy be successful." 'Blessed be(e)' also can denote the
pin used to poke holes in a condom to facilitate pregnancy and
subsequent forced marriage, an act that _either_ partner can
initiate -- sexually transmitted diseases can complicate this
action. (I discuss other 'blessed be' interpretations in
the 'Definitions Part Three' message.)

Some people say that 'Blessed Be' is a mere greeting
meaning nothing more than Goodbye and Goodluck and that I am
stretching this greeting's intention to preposterous levels.

<*> I stand on my statements based upon common language usage

in my locale. And based upon the downsizing United States

domestic economy with high un(der)employment (few new jobs
are being created), record credit levels and rapidly rising
cost-of-living (e.g., rapidly rising food and energy costs),

[...]

Some Covens perform _no magick_ during sabbats, treating sabbats

Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com

Last book reviews: "Necronomicon" & "Necronomicon Spellbook"
by Ed Simon

Richard Ballard

Mar 6, 2004, 12:43:13 PM3/6/04
Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.

Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

Parts Two, Three, Four and Five are contained in concurrent

copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan

Novices (Part Two/Three/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.

I provide an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in
subsequent copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for
Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two of Two Parts)", respectively.

IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.
On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
"A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
on this Internet newsgroup.

<*> March 21 is the sabbat Ostara (pronounced Oh-star-ah), a sabbat
celebrating the Earth's fertility and the Sun's return. Ostara
marks the Spring Equinox, the time in the Earth's annual cycle
when the Sun again crosses the Equator and returns to the Earth's
Northern Hemisphere. Many Ostara myths concern deities' struggles
to return from the Underworld to the Land of the Living. Odin,
Osiris, Mithras, Orpheus, and Persephone are among the deities
associated with the sabbat Ostara and these death/rebirth myths.

<*> Ostara, a sabbat of great importance in Greek, Roman, and the
Nordic lands, is named after the ancient German virgin goddess
of Spring. The Teutons honored their Spring goddess Eostre
at this festival -- some associate the Teutonic goddess Eostre
with the Christian holiday Easter. And Teutonic custom dictates
that new clothing (symbolizing rebirth) be worn at Ostara -- it
is considered extremely bad luck to wear new clothing before the
Ostara celebrations.

<*> The Greco-Roman tradition celebrated Ceres, their grain goddess,
from Ostara until the first harvest -- grain is 'the staff of
life'. The lamb (and more importantly the egg) symbolize Ostara,
fertility and youth. In Greco-Roman times, young men playing the
roles of lusty young gods would offer lilies (another Greco-Roman
symbol of life) to young women during Ostara. A young woman
accepting a lily (and the young man's intimacies) was accepting
a wedding engagement.

<*> Slavic cultures believe that Death has no power over the living
during Ostara. Slavic Ostara rituals include symbolically
throwing Death into a river to drown. After this ritual
drowning, Slavs pass red-dyed eggs among celebrants during
their procession to the Ostara ritual feast.

<*> These Slavic Ostara celebrations bear remarkable resemblence
to Mardi gras, an annual masked celebration held in Paris and
in New Orleans, both river cities. The masks worn during
Mardi gras are symbolic attempts to confuse Death by obscuring
the identity of the living. The masks worn during Mardi gras
also permit royalty (i.e., the deities) to celebrate anonymously
and safely among the common people.

<*> In British Ostara rituals, a young man and young woman
respectively were chosen to symbolize Lord of the Greenwood
(a British version of the Horned God) and the Green Goddess
(a fertile young virgin/mother).

<*> St. Patrick's Day roughly corresponds with Ostara, the
everpresent green symbolizing fertility and bounty. After
repeatedly being driven out of Ireland, Patrick's procession
journeyed to Tara, the seat of high government, on Easter
to reaffirm Patrick's faith. Beer effectively is grain wine
(sacred to Ceres), and grain wine flows freely on
St. Patrick's Day. Honey traditionally symbolizes the Spring
Pagan Sabbats -- IMO mead (honey wine) also deserves its place
on the Ostara banquet table.

<*> IMO Ostara could have been the inspiration for naming
Scarlett O'Hara's fertile plantation 'Tara' in Margaret Mitchell's
novel "Gone With The Wind". In Greco-Roman times, farmers sought
special Ostara blessings for their freshly-tilled fields.

<*> On the North and South American continents, Native Americans
having astronomical knowledge celebrated the Spring Equinox
and the Sun's return. Pagans consider Native American burial
mounds and other native American historical sites to be sacred
places. Pagans often hold equinox and solstice celebrations
at publicly-accessible Native American sites.

[...]

I stand behind my statements based upon common language usage

*****End of Part One*****

Last book review: "Guerrilla Television" by Michael Shamberg

Richard Ballard

Mar 6, 2004, 2:21:40 PM3/6/04
In article <20040306124308...@mb-m03.aol.com>,
rball...@aol.com (Richard Ballard) writes:

>Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
>Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
>Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
>with a <*> marker.
>
>Parts Two, Three, Four and Five are contained in concurrent
>copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan
>Novices (Part Two/Three/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.
>I provide an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in
>subsequent copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for
>Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two of Two Parts)",
>respectively.

Starting this issuance, I provide an accompanying list of

Wicca-related references in subsequent copyrighted messages
entitled "A Reference List for Prospective Wiccan Novices

(Part One/Two/Three of Three Parts)", respectively.

>IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.
>On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
>"A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
>on this Internet newsgroup.

Sorry 'bout dat.

Richard Ballard

Apr 11, 2004, 2:31:04 PM4/11/04
Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

Parts Two, Three, Four and Five are contained in concurrent
copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan
Novices (Part Two/Three/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.
I provide an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in
subsequent copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for

Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two/Three of Three Parts)",
respectively.

IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.
On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
"A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
on this Internet newsgroup.

<*> The evening of April 30th [midnight May 1st Stonehenge time]
brings the sabbat Beltane (pronounced Beel-teen or Bell-tayn),
a celebration of fertility and life above all else. Beltane
marks summer's beginning and is a time to celebrate the
eternal wheel of reincarnation and the return of the Wiccan God.
Beltane falls opposite Samhain [midnight October 31st
Stonehenge time, winter's beginning] on the Wheel of the Year.
Beltane (the final phase of planting) and Samhain (the third
and final harvest) are the two most important sabbats.

<*> Many Pagans believe that the name Beltane derives from the
English word 'balefire' meaning 'boon' or 'extra'. European
monarchs marked the Beltane sabbat's beginning by lighting
balefires, typically on high hills -- having sex with ladies

from the families of lesser nobility was included within the
balefire ritual. Lesser nobility then could light their own

balefires on lower hills (and themselves have sex with ladies
from the families of lesser nobility or commoners), and could
begin their own Beltane celebrations. The ritual sex included

within the balefire celebrations equates to the Aristocracy's
(e.g., the King's, Baron's, or local landowner's) 'first night'
privileges -- the Aristocracy's right to control who could
marry whom and the Aristocracy's right to bed any young lady
first on her wedding night. The balefire ritual replenished
the Aristocracy's energy and symbolically blessed the young

lady bedded by the Aristocrat. The balefire ritual also

maintained the continuity of the Aristocracy -- 'the pecking
order' is a time-honored tradition.

<*> During Beltane, Pagan commoners celebrated having survived
Winter's hardship and renewed their sense of community under their
monarch and nobility. The balefires symbolized the warmth and
vigor of the life-giving Sun and a commitment to maintain the
Pagan family. The balefire ritual also focused the Aristocracy's
power within the minds of their subjects: 'We control the farm land
and winter will return -- wanna eat?' Monarchs and nobility
provided much food and drink to be served during Beltane
celebrations -- a treat and a relief after Winter's sparse,
drab fare.

<*> Celebrants customarily took home a smoldering piece of the
Beltane balefire to light the first cookfire of summer and to
bring summer blessings to their own home -- the celebration
continues at home after the community Beltane fertility
celebration. The same custom prohibits giving Beltane balefire
embers to outsiders. This taboo reflects European belief that
faeries could not ignite their own fires but must obtain fire from
humans. Tradition states that faeries dress as humans, visit
community Beltane celebrations, and request balefire embers to
start their own fires (propagate life). The same tradition states
that faeries obtaining fire embers gain some measure of power over
the donor. This European tradition reflects a normal human desire
to exclude outsiders from (the Beltane) fertility rituals.

<*> Dancing around the May Pole is another Beltane tradition.
In Pagan times the May Pole was constructed by removing all but
the topmost branches from a communal pine tree. White and red
ribbons that represented the Pagan Goddess and God, respectively,
were attached to the tree beneath the remaining pine branches.
Women holding the white ribbons and men holding the red ribbons
danced around the May Pole, interweaving the white and red ribbons
around the May Pole. The May Pole represented a phallus, the
untrimmed topmost pine branches represented pubic hair, and the
interwoven ribbons represented the female birth canal surrounding
the phallus.

With this sabbat approaching many Wiccans are discussing Wicca

Some basic definitions:

expensive long term quest for _both_ partners that reduced
Government support for daycare and education will _not_ lighten.

nights due to a squealing infant, and observe how their own mental

performance and mood deteriorates.) I believe that Magickians
are individuals who utilize (and sometimes purposefully create)

chaos in order to realize their own goals.

Most people are _reactively_ familiar with the so-called

Murphy's Law: 'Whatever can go wrong will'. Chaos Magickians

*****End of Part One*****

"All Rights Reserved"?
If I 'right' must I reserve?

Richard Ballard

May 28, 2004, 3:04:44 PM5/28/04
Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

Parts Two, Three, Four and Five are contained in concurrent
copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan
Novices (Part Two/Three/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.
I provide an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in
subsequent copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for
Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two/Three of Three Parts)",
respectively.

IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.
On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
"A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
on this Internet newsgroup.

<*> June 21 (midnight June 22 Stonehenge time), the Northern
Hemisphere's Summer Solstice, is the sabbat Midsummer. This
sabbat was called Vestalia in ancient Rome, Alban Heflin in
the Anglo-Saxon Tradition and All Couple's Day in Greece.
Summer Solstice marks the longest day(light) of the year, the
height of the Sun's (the Wiccan God's) power. June is the
traditional time to wed in Europe and in the United States.

<*> In Scotland the Midsummer sabbat was called Feill-Sheathain.
Scottish sabbats honored Cerridwen the Crone Goddess (reminiscent
of Hamlet's witches) and featured the cauldron, a Celtic symbol
of life, death, and rebirth. The cauldron symbolized that the
sun is not truly dead, but was reborn from the Goddess at Yule
(nominally five months later). The Celts would light balesfires
(and conduct their ritual celebrations) from sunset the night
before Midsummer until sunset the next day. "Biiken", the old
Norse word for balefire, apparently still is used to describe
Midsummer fires.

<*> The Midsummer sabbat celebrates fertility. The Wiccan Goddess
is heavy with pregnancy, new farm animals soon will be born,
and the Earth is green with crops and vegetation. Yet
fertility rites continue both to ensure an abundant harvest
and also to ensure the continued prosperity of Pagan families.
The Midsummer sabbat also celebrates the Sun which warms the
fertile Earth, and celebrates the strength of the Horned God
and father. Midsummer balefires symbolize the strength of the
Sun and the Pagan father, and (a-hem) fertility celebrations
often accompany the lighting of the balefire.

<*> Some Pagan Traditions alternate their God persona. The
Holly King rules as Horned God from the Summer Solstice (Midsummer,
June 22nd) through the Winter Solstice (Yule, December 22nd).

The Oak King rules as Horned God from the Winter Solstice (Yule,

December 22nd) through the Summer Solstice (Midsummer, June 22nd).
These Traditions might stage a Midsummer ritual battle symbolizing
the Holly King vanquishing the Oak King -- in the Yule ritual battle
the Oak King will vanquish the Holly King. This 'changing of
the Kings' ritual marks the annual cycle of the sun, and can
symbolize the seasonal change of Pagan partners.

<*> In Greek mythos the goddess Persephone (Proserpine) was abducted
by Pluto (the God of the Underworld). Persephone's mother Ceres
(the Goddess of fertility and abundance) mourned and the Earth
grew barren. The Earth survived only through the other Gods'
intervention. The other Gods forced a compromise where Persephone
alternately spent six months aboveground (Summer) with her mother
Ceres, and six months belowground in Hades (Winter) as Pluto's queen
and consort. The earth (and Persephone) was fertile and warm during
the six summer months Persephone spent with Ceres. The earth (and
Persephone) was barren and cold during the six winter months Ceres
mourned Persephone's time as Pluto's consort.

<*> Twenty-First Century society with its high divorce rates offers
another analogy. Children of divorced parents often live with each
of their biological parents during a portion of the year. Midsummer
(end of the school year) and Yule (semester break) are times when
children's' transition between parents might occur. And the
'changing of the Kings' can symbolize separation and divorce --
a new and loving partner vanquishing an indifferent, abusive, or
(morally-)bankrupt partner.

<*> Many Traditions view Midsummer as a time for family closeness.
Scandinavians celebrate Thing-Tide just after the time of Midsummer.
Thing-Tide is a gathering of families to conduct business before
celebration and feasting. St. John's Day is celebrated in Ireland
just before the time of the Midsummer sabbat. Some Irish believe
that faeries cart off prized livestock and unsuspecting human
revelers (particularly young maidens) on St. John's Day. German
folklore contains numerous stories of foolish and naive persons
wandering into the night woods during Midsummer and never returning.
Consider the tale of 'Hansel and Gretel', where a witch attempts
to roast Hansel and to hold Gretel as a servant.

<*> The association of Midsummer with family closeness (and with
stories of family members disappearing during Midsummer) might
be related to the myth of Persephone's abduction by Pluto.
The Holly King / Oak King Tradition might be related to the myth
of Persephone serving two rulers -- Pluto the god of Hades and
Persephone's mother Ceres, the goddess of fertility and abundance.

<*> During Midsummer, Pagans traditionally gathered magickal
and medicinal plants to dry and store for winter use. (This
practice explains why Midsummer sabbat is called Gathering Day
in Wales.) The Celtic Druids gathered their sacred mistletoe
(the golden bough) on Midsummer sabbat. The North American
Miami Indians gathered buckeyes (horse chestnuts) to fashion
into protective amulets and jewelry. Lavender gathered during
Midsummer have been used as aphrodisiac incense. Pine cones
gathered during Midsummer have been fashioned into amulets of
protection, fertility and virility.

With this sabbat approaching many Wiccans are discussing
Wicca more openly, and many of their friends are hearing about
Wicca for the first time. These friends might ask "How can I
learn about Wicca?"

I wish to offer some basic definitions. But before offering
these definitions I must state that I am _not_ a Wiccan, a witch,
a Pagan or a satanist. People ask me "Why are you providing these

definitions on the Internet?" One reason is that I first heard

about Wicca in an acquaintance's chance comment, and learning
details about Paganism and Wicca has cost me (and continues to
cost me) much time and trouble. Another reason I provide these
definitions is the flood of negativism on the Pagan- and
Wicca-related Internet newsgroups. It appears that everybody has
a license to criticize and complain, but few have a license to make
a positive contribution.

I have defined my message's current scope: Providing information

about 21st Century Pagan and Wiccan practices based upon my reading,
my Internet newsgroup participation, and my arms-length observations
in my locale. IMO this is the information that _not committed_
prospective Wiccan novices seek. Assembling that information cost
(and continues to cost) me much time and trouble -- time and trouble
that _not committed_ prospective Wiccan novices can avoid by reading

my messages. In the future (and time permitting) I might enlarge
my messages' scope to include the historical Pagan and Wiccan

definitions and references preferred by conservative and
_already committed_ Pagans and Wiccans.

Some basic definitions:

A) I believe that *Magick* is the goal-oriented use of Chaos,
a different term than 'magic' which refers to 'stage magic'
(prestidigitation).

Magick is strongly based in human sexuality. Human sexuality
can be a magickal goal, but need not be. More often human
sexuality is one magickal means used to achieve a goal. Human
fertility magick and agricultural fertility magick are religion
for Wiccans, and some Wiccans might state that fertility
(not human sexuality) is the important part of Wicca. I believe
that many Magickians would smile and reply 'There is more than
one way to worship the Goddess.'

Readers have protested my opinion "some Wiccans might state that

fertility (not human sexuality) is the important part of Wicca."
"some" is not an attempt to cover all of Wicca. However, Wicca

primarily is a Goddess-worshipping religion. Mother is one of
the Wiccan Goddess's three personas. Women who treasure fertility

are common among Wiccans. And in a downsizing United States
economy with increasing un(der)employment and competition, I

predict that many working women will interrupt their careers to

explore motherhood -- a financially (and sometimes emotionally)

expensive long term burden for _both_ parents that reduced
(or constant in an inflationary environment) Government funding

[...]

rituals performed by groups. Both complexity and the number
of participants differentiate Low Magick from High Magick.
High Magick's ritual tools and complexity help to focus and

strengthen magickal power, while participation in group rituals
helps focus individuals' magick powers into one coherent force.

B) *Chaos* is a generic term -- chaos can describe global warfare

or a squealing infant. (Any person wondering how I equate a

squealing infant with chaos should attempt sleeping several
consecutive nights with a squealing colicky infant, and should
observe how their mental performance and mood deteriorates.)

I believe that Magickians are individuals who utilize (and
sometimes purposefully create) chaos in order to realize their
own goals.

Most people are _reactively_ familiar with the so-called
Murphy's Law: 'Whatever can go wrong will'. Chaos Magickians
utilize Murphy's Law _PROactively_ -- they purposefully create
an environment and situations where events are likely to go

wrong with confusing, tiring, resource wasting and demoralizing

effects upon the participants. The Chaos Magickian's long-term
goal is to force the (energy- and resource-) exhausted victim
to submit to the Magickian's purpose. For example, traveling
in circles within a slow-moving reluctant bureaucracy is a

soporific form of Chaos Magick designed to enforce silent
acceptance.

A person or group making continuous trivial insults (or making

continuous empty or real threats) is another example of

Chaos Magick. Like a mob stoning an individual with pebbles,

the significance of each insult/threat is minimal but the
combined effect is tiring and demoralizing. Why do I equate
deliberate insults/threats to Chaos Magick? Psychological

intimidation causes personal uncertainty, mental distraction
and confusion, ruins the victim's concentration, impairs
mental and (fatigued) physical performance, and potentially
leads to dysfunctional behavior -- i.e., self-reinforcing chaos.

Spoken flippantly, repeated trivial insults and threats could
drive a man to drink (or worse).

Both Magickians and Magicians (i.e., Prestidigitators)
employ chaos within their Craft. Chaos confuses and distracts

onlookers, making the onlookers more susceptible to suggestion
and influence.

IMO the Wiccan greeting 'Blessed be' is a mixed, potentially
chaotic blessing. 'Blessed be' can denote the benign wish

"May your attempts at pregnancy be successful." 'Blessed be(e)'
also can denote the pin used to poke holes in a condom to
facilitate pregnancy and subsequent forced marriage, an act

that _either_ partner can initiate. (Sexually transmitted
diseases can complicate this action). I discuss other
'blessed be' interpretations in my 'Definitions Part Three'
message.

Some people state that 'Blessed Be' merely signifies 'Goodbye
and Good Luck', and that I am stretching this greeting's intention

to preposterous levels. I stand behind my statements based

upon common language usage in my locale. With the shrinking
United States domestic economy having high un(der)employment
(few new jobs are being created), record credit debt, and
rapidly rising living costs (e.g., food, housing and energy),
I anticipate that many people (a gender-neutral term) will
consider marriage to be the solution to their worsening financial
problems, and will consider pregnancy the path to marriage.

C) Historically (and ironically) the word *craftsman* (and its
modern variant *craftsperson*) has referred to a perfectionist

whose work is beyond reproach -- chaos-free. Yet ironically

those who practice Magick often are said to practice 'The Craft'.

D) According to Scott Cunningham's well-regarded text "Wicca:

A Guide For The Solitary Practitioner" (pg. 63), the eight *sabbats*

are days of power. Four sabbats coincide with Solstices and
Equinoxes (the beginnings of the four seasons), and the other four
sabbats are based upon ancient folk festivals, including those of

the ancient Middle East.

Within her text "Inside A Witches' Coven" Ms. Edain McCoy states
(pg. 140) that the origin of the word sabbat is the Greek word
'sabatu' meaning 'to rest'. I believe that the word sabbat also

shares linguistic roots with the Hebrew word 'shabbath' [to rest;

(i.e., Sabbath, a period of rest)].

Some Covens perform _no magick_ during sabbats, using sabbats

Richard Ballard

Jul 15, 2004, 8:40:55 AM7/15/04
Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

Parts Two, Three, Four and Five are contained in concurrent
copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan
Novices (Part Two/Three/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.
I provide an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in
subsequent copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for
Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two/Three of Three Parts)",
respectively.

IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.
On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
"A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
on this Internet newsgroup.

<*> August first Midnight Stonehenge time (July 31st 7:00 PM CST
in my locale) is the sabbat Lammas [an Anglo-Saxon word meaning
loaf-mass (bread) and the most commonly-used name for this sabbat].
In old Irish a variant Lunasa means 'August'. Lammas also is known
as Lughnasadh (Loo-nahs-ah), First Harvest, and the Sabbat of the
First Fruits. Lammas honors the Sun God Lugh (Loo) and his queen
Dana, but Lammas principally is a grain festival. In ancient
Phoenicia this festival honored the grain god Dagon, and a
significant portion of the harvest was sacrificed to him.
Similarly, Native Americans celebrate early August as a grain
festival and call it the Festival of the Maize. Corn, wheat,
barley, and other Northern Hemisphere grains are ready for
harvesting by early August. Lammas is the first of the three
harvest sabbats and a celebration of the Earth's fertility. Corn,
wheat, potatoes and other crops harvested around Lammas are
considered fertility plants and can be used within Lammas rituals.

<*> Lammas rituals celebrate fertility and the summer crops
not yet harvested. In Romania's Transylvanian Alps (high in the
Carpathian Mountains -- the legendary home of Dracula) a fertility
ritual involving animal sacrifice is practiced the first Sunday of
August. A live sow is slain ritually on the high slopes of
Mt. Chefleau in thanks for the abundant harvest, the sow's blood
flows into the earth, the peasants touch their hands to the wet
ground, and for protection and self-blessing the peasants use the
wet blood to mark the sign of the cross on their foreheads. Some
groups mimic this Transylvanian custom exactly, honoring the pig
as an efficient converter of grain into lean meat during abundant
times. Other Lammas celebrants might use red wine to symbolize
blood during their rituals, or might use human blood (e.g., from a
deliberate cut or female human menstrual blood) during their
Lammas ritual. And it is conceivable that some groups might use
female human virginal blood within their Lammas ritual (i.e., a
female virgin has her first sex as a part of the group's
Lammas ritual).

<*> Historically, Lammas is the traditional time for regicide --
king-killing rites. In some cultures no king was allowed to
to die a natural death. These cultures believed that regicide
facilitated the king's rebirth at Yule. These cultures also
believed that spilling the king's blood into the earth was powerful
agricultural fertility magick. Understandably, kings were
not comfortable while among their advisors during Lammas
celebrations, and masks were not used during Lammas. In the
21st Century, I wonder how many hot summer domestic arguments
lead to divorce, overthrow of the husband patriarch, and
establishment of the single female parent household?

With this sabbat approaching, many Wiccans are discussing

Some basic definitions:

E) The Wiccan *Rede* is the best-known Wiccan tenet. Depending
upon the Tradition one follows, the Rede might be a binding rule,
the Rede might be considered advice, or the Rede might be ignored.

The most common statement of the Wiccan Rede is 'An ye harm
none, do what ye will'. I have observed several different
(Wiccan Tradition-dependent) interpretations of this eight-word
statement -- the words 'harm', 'none', 'do' and 'will' all are
subject to interpretation. An obvious example: Does 'harm none'
refer to members of the given Wiccan Coven, to members of the
given Wiccan Tradition, to all Wiccans, or to humankind?
Furthermore, I have observed statements of the Wiccan Rede
(excerpted in my Part Three message) that go on for pages like
a legal contract. And I have observed Wiccan Traditions that
effectively ignore the Wiccan Rede completely. I am _not_
comfortable with all Traditions' interpretation of the
Wiccan Rede.

There are many valid Wiccan paths. Gardnerian Wicca was the
first Wiccan Tradition but many other Wiccan Traditions exist.
The Wiccan Gardnerian Tradition reflects English socioeconomic
culture 50 years ago. Gardnerian Wicca was initiated by
upper-income British who were able to hire low- and middle-income
servants. Servants led a much different life than their
prosperous masters, a difference depicted in the BBC / PBS
T V series "Upstairs, Downstairs" (whose title refers to the
different lifestyles in the upstairs servants' quarters versus
the downstairs masters' quarters). I believe that many prospective
Wiccan novices would find the traditional 'year-and-a-day'
apprenticeship _not_ acceptable if that apprenticeship was
_mandatory and unbreakable servitude_. (I am discussing an
apprentice's loss of the ability to _drop out_ of an apprenticeship
by terminating the associated service period voluntarily and early.
***I am discussing loss of freedom of choice***. A Lot can happen
during a 'year-and-a-day' apprenticeship. Some paths are
one-way paths having *no possible return* -- this hap pens too many
times.) Of course, different Wiccan Covens might interpret
Gardnerian Tradition differently, but I believe the right of Pagan
Traditions and their members, of Wiccan Covens and their members,
and of Wiccan solitary worshippers to modify their Traditions
is _mandatory_.

<*> I believe that _most_ States' common laws forbid mandatory and
unbreakable servitude, and forbid harm during an apprenticeship.
Yet I believe I know at least one state that _does_ allow
'Bills of Attainder' -- the equivalent of a mandatory and
unbreakable servitude. The contract can be written to include
monetary penalties or clauses that extend the contract
_without pay_ as a penalty for bad service -- i.e., potentially
never-ending servitude. ***Most people can NOT read legalese,
and many people sign without reading.*** Imagine the following
conversation: "Don't think of it as a legal contract -- think of
it as your own customized version of the Wiccan Rede, the first
oathbound entry in your _Book Of Shadows_." I believe that
'Bills of Attainder' are _not legally enforceable_ outside of
two states within the United States, but a potential expensive
legal mess (and other chaotic hatefulness) is possible. And
in case of trouble, poor apprentices might _not_ have the
resources even to consult an attorney.

<*> A similar difficult (and universally applicable) situation
exists when Wiccan parents (or legal guardian/s) force their
underage children (or wards) to become Wiccan Coven members,
a situation which resembles being drafted without chance
of deferment into 'the Wiccan Army'. Most Traditions require
prospective Wiccan novices under 18 years of age (the age of
legal majority in most states) to provide a written statement
of parental permission before beginning Wiccan study. That is
_much_ different than rejecting prospective Wiccan novices
under the age of 18, particularly if the novices' parents
(or legal guardian/s) are Wiccan Coven members. A particularly
unfortunate situation results if the Wiccan Coven's Tradition
includes a penalty if (upon reaching adulthood) the children
decide to leave the Wiccan Coven -- i.e., go AWOL from
'the Wiccan Army'. Wiccan oaths need _not_ include penalties
for 'walking away' from a Wiccan Coven. Raymond Buckland's
Seax-Wica Tradition is an example of a Wiccan Tradition that
includes no penalty for leaving or re-entering a Coven.

<*> The age of legal majority (the age when an individual
becomes legally empowered to sign contracts) varies from state
to state within the United States. I am _not_ qualified to
provide legal opinions and I can _not_ vouch for its
accuracy, but a table listing the age of legal majority for
the fifty United States and the United States territories is
available (as of 7/2004) on the Internet at
"http://www.dod.mil/comptroller/fmr/07b/07bappxh.pdf"
(no quotes). The age of legal consent [the age at which
an individual is legally empowered to consent to have
intercourse (i.e., not statutory rape)] is lower than the
age of legal majority in some states. Consult an attorney
before making any legal decisions.

*****End of Part One*****

The comments contained herein are my opinions. This message
was not solicited by Amazon.com, any author, any artist, or their
agent(s), publisher(s), producer(s) or distributor(s).

I am _not_ an Islamic or Judaic scholar.

I am _not_ legally qualified to provide medical, psychological,
legal, financial or religious opinions, but I have discussed some
issues with my Attorney and have read extensively in these areas.
I have strong opinions.

"All Rights Reserved"?
If I 'right' must I reserve?

I got no problems.
Other people got problems.

00: 18+ _8 02 03/35 06 09

Richard Ballard

Jul 29, 2004, 7:01:11 AM7/29/04
Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

In article <20040715084049...@mb-m18.aol.com>,
rball...@aol.com (Richard Ballard) writes:

(If regicide seems a totally foreign concept, consider during
election years the amount of time challengers spend assassinating
incumbents' characters, and the amount of time incumbents spend
assassinating challengers' characters. This time could be spent
discussing $ubstantive issue$. In my experience, when everybody
prospers everybody is happy and pleasant.)

>In the
>21st Century, I wonder how many hot summer domestic arguments
>lead to divorce, overthrow of the husband patriarch, and
>establishment of the single female parent household?

<snip>

Richard Ballard

Sep 1, 2004, 9:18:50 AM9/1/04
Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
with a <*> marker.

Parts Two, Three, Four and Five are contained in concurrent
copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan
Novices (Part Two/Three/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.
I provide an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in
subsequent copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for
Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two/Three of Three Parts)",
respectively.

IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.
On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
"A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
on this Internet newsgroup.

<*> The evening of September 21st [midnight September 22nd
Stonehenge time] is the sabbat Mabon (May-bone or Mah-boon),
named for the Welsh God who symbolized the male fertilizing
principle in Welsh mythology. Some consider Mabon to be
Persephone's male counterpart.

<*> In Europe Mabon marked the end of the second harvest when
autumn crops (grapes, nuts and apples) were gathered. The
equinox marked the infamous Festival of Dionysus (the God of
Wine) in ancient Rome. The Scottish and Welsh poured Mabon
wines onto the ground during their celebrations, symbolically
honoring the aging Goddess moving into her Crone aspect and
as a symbolic blood sacrifice so that the God might live
until Samhain.

<*> Mabon marks the beginning of Autumn, the time when the earth
has surrendered its harvest and Nature withers, to be renewed
again in the Spring. Similar to the European "Harvest Home"
festival, Pagans refer to this Autumn Equinox as "The Witches'
Thanksgiving". Typical Mabon activities include cider pressing,
grain threshing, dancing, feasting from the plentiful harvest,
and crowning a Harvest King and Harvest Queen. The Harvest King
and Harvest Queen ritually symbolize the Pagan God and Goddess,
and represent the Earth's survival through the upcoming Winter's
hardship for renewed fertility in the Spring. The color blue
symbolizes the Mabon Harvest King, while the color green
symbolizes the Mabon Harvest Queen. The cornocopia
(horn of plenty) symbolizes Mabon. The cornocopia is both
a phallic symbol and a symbol of the Earth's fertility.

<*> In China Mabon is known as Chung Ch'iu and marks the end of
the rice harvest.

<*> Judaism celebrates Succoth near this time, a harvest holiday
often observed by building a temporary outdoor dwelling decorated
with fall vegetables in which all Succoth meals are served.

<*> Contemporary United States Mabon activities can include
wine tasting parties, and summer hayrides followed by outdoor
cookouts around a bonfire.

<*> Mabon is a time when day and night are in balance, and all
other things likewise balance for one brief moment. The God
and Goddess are thought to have equal power on Mabon, as do
the forces of good and evil. Mabon marks a seasonal transition,
the Deities are aging and the Wiccan God will die with the old
year. Mabon is a time to prepare for the upcoming winter and
its hardships.

Some basic definitions:

<*> Readers have protested my opinion "some Wiccans might state that

fertility (not human sexuality) is the important part of Wicca."
"some" is not an attempt to cover all of Wicca. However, Wicca
primarily is a Goddess-worshipping religion. Mother is one of
the Wiccan Goddess's three personas. Women who treasure fertility

are common among Wiccans. In a downsizing United States domestic

economy with increasing un(der)employment and competition, I
predict that many working women will interrupt their careers to
explore motherhood -- a financially (and sometimes emotionally)
expensive long term burden for _both_ parents that reduced

<*> Some people state that 'Blessed Be' merely signifies

'Goodbye and Good Luck', and that I am stretching this greeting's
intention to preposterous levels. I stand behind my statements

based upon common language usage in my locale. The United States
domestic economy is shrinking as evidenced by high
un(der)employment (net loss of jobs, and
post-unemployment-compensation workers falling down from the
Government counts of unemployed workers); record credit debt
(including recurring monthly trade deficits); rapidly rising
living costs (e.g., natural gas and petroleum, housing and food);
and local T V commercial messages featuring home equity loans
and openly-litigious lawyers instead of locally produced products.

I anticipate that many people (a gender-neutral term) will

consider marriage the solution to their worsening financial

problems, and will consider pregnancy the path to marriage.

Yet according to Professor Lionel Tiger ("The Decline of Males:
The First Look At An Unexpected New World For Men And Women",
c1999), increasingly the hiring market is controlled by
women who favor hiring (single, economically motivated) women
supporting children. IMO this economic trend does not favor
pregnancy-motivated marriage as an enduring path to happiness
and prosperity.

given Wiccan Tradition, to all Wiccans or to humankind?

Furthermore, I have observed statements of the Wiccan Rede

(excerpted in my 'Definitions ...' Part Three message) that go on

[...]

I gut no problems.
Other people gut problems.

Richard Ballard

Oct 12, 2004, 7:37:22 AM10/12/04
[...]

The Samhain/Halloween symbol of the Crone/Witch stirring her
cauldron reflects the Pagan belief that all dead souls return
to the Crone's/Witch's cauldron to await their rebirth.

[...]

conjunction with a Halloween party. The Halloween 'trick or treat'
tradition has two origins. One 'trick or treat' origin is the
Pagan Samhain custom of leaving out a small tray or plate of food
for dead ancestors and other spirits. 'Trick or treat' also
reflects Pagans' inclusion of the Lord of Misrule within the
Samhain circle. The Lord of Misrule (the personification of
the Norse God Loki also called the Master of Merry Disport)
created merry havoc within the Samhain circle, preventing
unhappiness at the thought of summer's end and the approaching
harsh winter.

<*> With Samhain approaching, many Wiccans are discussing Wicca

Some basic definitions:

Readers have protested my opinion "some Wiccans might state that

<*> Magicians often allude to Physics, stating that magick is
phenomena not yet understood by physicists. Yet Chaos Magick
often creates and exploits victims' inability to combat chaos.
(E.g., the chief difficulty in combatting terrorism is that
terrorism is chaotically unpredictable.) IMO Chaos Magick is
a psychological and financial phenomenon as much as a physical
phenomenon.

c1999, ISBN 0-312-26311-2), increasingly the hiring market is

*****End of Part One*****

I gut know problems.

Alexander Mulligan

Oct 13, 2004, 2:05:45 PM10/13/04
In alt.magick, Richard Ballard wrote:
> Copyright 2003-2004 by Richard J. Ballard -- All Rights Reserved.
> Issued approximately twenty-one days before each sabbat.
> Each issue's new and significantly changed paragraphs begin
> with a <*> marker.
>
> Parts Two, Three, Four and Five are contained in concurrent
> copyrighted messages titled "Definitions For Prospective Wiccan
> Novices (Part Two/Three/Four/Five of Five Parts)", respectively.
> I provide an accompanying list of Wicca-related references in
> subsequent copyrighted messages entitled "A Reference List for
> Prospective Wiccan Novices (Part One/Two/Three of Three Parts)",
> respectively.
>
> IMO sexuality is an integral part of Paganism and Wicca.
> On a monthly basis I provide copyrighted messages titled
> "A neo-Tantra Reference List (Part One/Two of Two Parts)"
> on this Internet newsgroup.

Sexuality is an integral part of *life*.

Any aspect of life, which is a Magickal phenomenon, can be
a 'doorway' to a deeper understanding of the nature of
reality.

But anything that involves focussing on the physical senses,
which sex in particular does in an intense way, is contrary
to the primary goal of Magickal studies, which is to explore
the *other* side of the Self, that which can be only be
perceived with the *inner* senses.

I have never met a person with advanced Magickal skills and
knowledge who even *mentions* sexuality in connection with
Magickal practices.

[...]

<+>

--
Bells Ring Under Cerulean Ecstasy

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=2o4h0pF...@uni-berlin.de

Alexander Mulligan

Oct 15, 2004, 6:28:03 PM10/15/04
In alt.magick, Frater Hairetikos wrote:
> Alexander Mulligan <alex...@mail2america.com> wrote in message news:<2t593oF...@uni-berlin.de>...
> My understanding of incorporating sex with magic is to attain the
> single-pointed consciousness (the no-mind or gnosis) that one
> experiences during orgasm. Some magic systems teach that this no-mind
> state, where the consciousness can focus on one thing (or desired
> result in this case) without being bogged down or diluted by various
> other thoughts, is the key to magic. Mind you, I'm not saying this is
> true, just that this is one reason for incorporating sex with magic.
>
> I'm not familiar with all the other systems of sexual magic, though,
> like Tantra, etc. So I won't comment on these.

All I can really say, FH, is that I've never known anyone
who had demonstrable Magickal abilities that has ever mentioned
sex in conjunction with Magick.

There is probably some truth in what you describe above,
just as there is some truth in all the various systems. You
can achieve amazing states of consciousness with some of the
GD rituals, for example.

But you can get there a lot faster, and with a less
polluted understanding of what's really going on, using a
straightforward meditation-type approach.

I'd recommend that prospective novices avoid any such systems
like the plague.

They make me think of creepy losers that can't get a girlfriend
the normal way.

Cult alert to the max.

Hire a personal investigations firm to check them out *first*.

Rick

Oct 15, 2004, 2:00:39 PM10/15/04
Frater Hairetikos wrote:

> My understanding of incorporating sex with magic is to attain the
> single-pointed consciousness (the no-mind or gnosis) that one
> experiences during orgasm. Some magic systems teach that this no-mind
> state, where the consciousness can focus on one thing (or desired
> result in this case) without being bogged down or diluted by various
> other thoughts, is the key to magic. Mind you, I'm not saying this is
> true, just that this is one reason for incorporating sex with magic.

I'll bet you've read Frater U.:D.:'s "Practical Sigil Magick." Your
brief summation pretty well covers his take on Spare at any rate, which
I would guess is the most prevalent attitude on the topic these days.

Of course, people with sexual hang ups won't find such techniques
useful. Even if the moments of orgasm are relatively clear and some good
work gets done, the after moments will undo it just as quickly. The real
key to that sort of work is in learning how to not undo your magick
afterward. "PSM" provides a number of methods to that end, and they are
by far the most difficult elements of the method to master.

By the way, I've heard of that book going for as high as $300 since
going out of print several years back. I wish I'd hung onto my copy now,
not that I'd sell it; I'd just like to have it in the collection but I
can't currently justify the expense.

> I'm not familiar with all the other systems of sexual magic, though,
> like Tantra, etc. So I won't comment on these.

There are religious and mystical applications worthy of note. The Great
Rite, common to Wicca and other neo-pagan circles, is fairly
wide-spread. However, it never fails to amaze me when I come across
people who perform the symbolic version of the rite routinely with
Chalice and Dagger, but don't seem to know they're symbolizing the
sexual union of the Goddess and the God. Of course, the symbolic version
pails in comparison to the real deal.

Further, it seems to me to be no coincidence that so much of the poetic
literature of the mystics we have record of is so flush with sexually
tinted metaphor, or that we use the term "ecstasy" to describe both
sexual and mystical states. The two are certainly tightly intertwined in
the linguistic heritage of the West at the very least.

That reminds me of a joke I heard some years ago:

Two little kids were talking on a playground, and one says to the other,
"hey, which part do you think gets to heaven first, the head or the feet?"

The other kid says, "the head of course, 'cause you fly up to heaven."

The first kid replies, "that's what I used to think, but last night I
saw my mom with her feet up in the air, and she was shouting, 'oh God!
Oh God! I'm coming! I'm coming!'"

So the other kid says, "gee! So you're mom's gone to heaven?"

And the first kid answers: "Naw, my daddy wouldn't let her go. He was
right on top of her, holding her down."

Rick

Selfs Layer

Oct 15, 2004, 2:25:31 PM10/15/04
On 13 Oct 2004 18:05:45 GMT, Alexander Mulligan
<alex...@mail2america.com> quipped and warbled:

>I have never met a person with advanced Magickal skills and
>knowledge who even *mentions* sexuality in connection with
>Magickal practices.

Well, it really depends on whether you're talking about Tantric
excitement in general, or super-duper sexual excitement... Sure, let's
combine two of the most exciting things in life. Life uhhhh, nitrogen!
And uhhhhh, glygerin!!! Yeah, that's a great idea!

Oh, go blow yourself.... up, that is.

- Saigneur Selfs Layer, KKP, the dude at the door who acts really poor
(and who wouldn't know you if you stuck a firecracker up his bum on Bastille Day)
Le Pape of all Fried Freedom and Prince of the One Way E(x)ternal Reich(POW POW POW!)

http://www.reflectionsdivide.com
(and yeah, it works! what am i, poor?!)

Frater Hairetikos

Oct 15, 2004, 11:29:40 PM10/15/04
Alexander Mulligan <alex...@mail2america.com> wrote in message news:<2tb17iF...@uni-berlin.de>...

Yes, meditative techniques can get you there, too. But sex gets you
there just as quick and is much more enjoyable than meditation. Well,
in my opinion, at least.

> I'd recommend that prospective novices avoid any such systems
> like the plague.

This is a bit biased. Different methods work for different people.

> They make me think of creepy losers that can't get a girlfriend
> the normal way.

Most people I know of (including myself) practice this method with
their partners. I was never necessarily referring to orders or groups
that practice these methods together. I was simply referring to the
practice in general.

> Cult alert to the max.

Possibly.

> Hire a personal investigations firm to check them out *first*.

This is good advice for anyone looking to join an occult group.

> <+>

Alexander Mulligan

Oct 16, 2004, 12:32:37 AM10/16/04

The term "meditation" covers an enormous number of disparate
techniques/purposes, from remote-viewing to examining the contents of
one's conscious mind to experiencing one's inner self to out-of-body
travel to healing exercises to....

If you think sex is the way to achieve success in these and other
psychic goals, then I wish you the best of luck.

You are going to need it. Along with a few extra decades to get
where I can get in 2 weeks....

ROTFL

I certainly hope that you are joking.

[....]

Alexander Mulligan

Oct 16, 2004, 1:22:52 AM10/16/04

I just can't resist....

"Honey? Are you busy? I need to do my evening meditations
now. Would you mind getting naked and spreading your legs?"

"No, Darling, I don't want to make love to you because you
are beautiful and I love you. I want to enter the world
of dreams in full conscious awareness and I have to have
sex in order to do it. You can play tennis with your
girl friend another day."

"Well, My Love, I hope you aren't really into that novel
you're reading, because I need to do some serious self-
examination. Now, now, don't complain. You want me to
be enlightened, don't you?"

After your 5th divorce, and you are living in squalor
and working double-time because of the alimony payments,
and you still can't spell "spell", I am guessing that
you will figure it out.

:-))

Selfs Layer

Oct 16, 2004, 6:02:38 AM10/16/04
On 15 Oct 2004 22:28:03 GMT, Alexander Mulligan
<alex...@mail2america.com> quipped and warbled:

>In alt.magick, Frater Hairetikos wrote:

>> Alexander Mulligan <alex...@mail2america.com> wrote in message news:<2t593oF...@uni-berlin.de>...
>

>But you can get there a lot faster, and with a less
>polluted understanding of what's really going on, using a
>straightforward meditation-type approach.
>
>I'd recommend that prospective novices avoid any such systems
>like the plague.
>
>They make me think of creepy losers that can't get a girlfriend
>the normal way.

Uh oh... <hides in a box, underneath innuendo and hyperboleee and with
a big stick to whack you with if you come near>

I agree that jumping directly into the fire is a pretty dangerous
thing. Especially if you think you're going to get any less confused
as time going on. Confusion is, actually, the fusion of two or more
things that might be better left apart. Like saying "All pagans are
stupid because of course there's only one God". "All pagans" is rather
stupidly general, just as "only one God" is also rather stupidly
general. The only reason I can think for this mass generalization is
that emotion flows more easily if it only has one destination. If
you're trying to shoot a whole flock of ducks, it's easier if you use
a wide-spreading shotgun.

Those damn idiots! They're all alike!

Selfs Layer

Frater Hairetikos

Oct 16, 2004, 5:47:40 PM10/16/04
Alexander Mulligan <alex...@mail2america.com> wrote in message news:<2tbmj4F...@uni-berlin.de>...

I'm aware of this. What's your point? That sex can't be used to
meditative ends? To be blunt, this simply is not true. Many different
types of physiological stimuli can be used to alter one's
consciousness and sex certainly falls into this category.

> If you think sex is the way to achieve success in these and other
> psychic goals, then I wish you the best of luck.

This isn't exactly what I said, is it? Don't distort my words. I never
said sex is *the* way. I said it is *a* way. And it is. So what's the
problem here?

> You are going to need it. Along with a few extra decades to get
> where I can get in 2 weeks....

Wow, who would have thought that you have a particular method that
works best for you? This DOES NOT mean that this particular method is
the only right one for everybody on the face of the Earth.

> ROTFL
>
> I certainly hope that you are joking.

There are many different methods that people use to access different
states of consciousness. Why is this so humorous to you?

> [....]
>
> <+>

Frater Hairetikos

Oct 16, 2004, 6:05:58 PM10/16/04
Alexander Mulligan <alex...@mail2america.com> wrote in message news:<2tbphaF...@uni-berlin.de>...

Why do you always get so defensive whenever somebody's opinions differ
from your own? It reeks of the zealot trying to defend their comfort
system, the types that lash out to destroy whatever goes against their
beliefs. But you say this is not how you are. Care to clarify?

Do you honestly, for one second, think that a *normal* person would
use intercourse with their spouse to these ends if it wasn't entirely
consensual?

What you're describing is not a typical scenario of sex magic. It's a
typical scenario of you trying to ridicule something that you don't
agree with.

Is this little disagreement really over having sex to attain the
no-mind state or is it over having sex in general. You seem hostile
towards the whole subject, frankly.

Alexander Mulligan

Oct 16, 2004, 6:24:30 PM10/16/04

FH said:

> There are many different methods that people use to access different
> states of consciousness. Why is this so humorous to you?

That's brilliant. You can alter your state of consciousness by hitting
yourself on the head with a hammer, too.

But there are ways of doing it that are effective and efficient, and
ways that are not.

:-|

I'm going to say this once more: I have never met a person who had
genuine mystical achievements and capabilities that ever mentioned
sex in connection with Magick.

Neither have you. Nor will you ever.

I am not interested in discussing this any further.

Your life is yours. Do what thou wilt.

But if you choose to try to learn Magick by having sex, I
*will* be laughing at you the whole time, whether you like
it or not.

Your other post here deleted unread. This is boring.
You don't know what you are talking about.

Go for it! Experience is the best teacher.

Maybe a prescription for Viagra will help?

ROTFLMAO

:-)))))))))

Kaos

Oct 19, 2004, 8:01:48 AM10/19/04
On 16 Oct 2004 22:24:30 GMT, Alexander Mulligan
<alex...@mail2america.com> wrote:

>I'm going to say this once more: I have never met a person who had
>genuine mystical achievements and capabilities that ever mentioned
>sex in connection with Magick.

Josh Geller. Whom I'd wager had far more capabilities than you.

Richard Ballard

Dec 1, 2004, 11:23:44 AM12/1/04
[...]

<*> Some Wiccan Traditions alternate their God persona. The

[...]

Days of Christmas". And evergreen wreaths (popular decorations

during the Christmas holiday) symbolize The Wheel of Life in

Pagan cultures. The evergreens used in Pagan wreaths symbolize
female fertility, while the pine cones often used in Pagan wreaths
symbolize male fertility. Evergreens symbolized deity and the
universe for the Druids. And mistletoe, the 'Golden Bough' of
the Druids, remains popular in Yule celebrations.

<*> Other Pagan cultures used fire to symbolize the return of the
sun. Many of these cultures tended perpetual flames or candles
throughout the year. At Yule the flames were allowed to burn
out and the candles were extinguished. Then the fires were
rekindled and the candles were relit, joyously symbolizing the
return of the sun. Lovers celebrated a rekindling of their
romantic love along with the rekindling of the perpetual flames.

(The corresponding emotions in the song 'Light My Fire' by
Jim Morrison and The Doors are obvious.) Sometimes the

extinguishing and rekindling of perpetual flames was accompanied

by a seasonal change of Pagan partners.

With this sabbat approaching, many Wiccans are discussing Wicca
more openly, and many of their friends are hearing about Wicca

Some basic definitions:

phenomena not yet understood by physicists. The classic science
fiction novel "The World of Null-A" by A. E. van Vogt (c1945,
SBN 425-02558-6) depicts chaos in a physical yet chaotic manner.
In this novel Gilbert Gosseyn undergoes two incarnations,
gaining abilities and understanding at reincarnation.
(Gosseyn's third incarnation is destroyed prematurely by others,
leaving Gosseyn II to cope as best he can.) During his second
incarnation, his adversaries burden Gosseyn II with an
everpresent companion -- a distracting robotic 'disruptor'.
(Alluding to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Priciple in Physics,)
Gosseyn II can control the disruptor or can concentrate
on his surroundings, but not both simultaneously. And the
uncontrolled disruptor chaotically changes Gosseyn II's
surroundings. The Chaos Magick analogy is a disruptive
human companion whose constant interference prevents a
person from concentrating on their own life and goals.

<*> Chaos Magick often creates and exploits victims' inability
to combat chaos. IMO Chaos Magick is a psychological and

financial phenomenon as much as a physical phenomenon.

"Satan's Underground: The Extraordinary Story of One Women's
Escape" (ISBN 0-88289-876-0) is author Lauren Stratford's
confused autobiography that depicts the relationship between
Ms. Stratford and her controlling everpresent 'spirit guide'
after Ms. Stratford escapes from an abusive $ex cult.

<*> Most people are _reactively_ familiar with the so-called

Murphy's Law: 'Whatever can go wrong will'. Chaos Magickians
utilize Murphy's Law _PROactively_ -- they purposefully create
an environment and situations where events are likely to go
wrong with confusing, tiring, resource wasting and demoralizing
effects upon the participants. The Chaos Magickian's long-term
goal is to force the (energy- and resource-) exhausted victim

to submit to the Magickian's purpose. On a small scale, traveling

in circles within a slow-moving reluctant bureaucracy is a

soporific form of chaos designed to enforce silent acceptance.
On a large scale, terrorism is goal-oriented deliberate chaos.

Some people state that 'Blessed Be' merely signifies

Richard Ballard

Jan 11, 2005, 6:19:22 AM1/11/05
[...]

Romans dedicated this celebration to Venus (goddess of love and
beauty) and to Diana (goddess of the moon). On this day the Irish

celebrated St. Bridget's Day -- young women (representing virgins)
dressed in old worn clothing went door-to-door begging for alms.
On Imbolg the French celebrate The Feast Day of St. Blaize, the
saint of winter protection and healing. Imbolg also has been called
Candlemas in Anglo-Saxon cultures because of the custom of lighting
a circle of candles (ritual fires) to hasten the return of the Sun
and the return of Spring's warmth. Often the candles substitute
for the celebratory outdoor balefires that create an lovemaking
atmosphere during other sabbats -- the ritual performed within
the circle of candles is obvious.

<*> The Grain Dolly (also called 'The Bride') commonly appears
during Imbolg celebrations. For Imbolg the Dolly is constructed
using dried grain from the last harvest, which is woven either
into human form or woven into symbolic form. The Dolly is dressed
differently at each Sabbat -- dressed as pregnant at Midsummer
and Lughnasadh, and dressed symbolizing the Crone at Mabon and
Samhain. At Imbolg the Dolly is dressed as a bride, and is laid
in a small corn crib (the Bride's Bed) awaiting her husband/sun.

<*> All these celebrations share a common theme: hastening the
end of the harsh hungry Winter and hastening the return of

Spring with its agricultural fertility. In the United States

Imbolg coincides with Groundhog's Day, a day when the groundhog
Punxsutawney Phil rises from his winter slumber and seeks his
shadow. No shadow indicates an early Spring, while a strong

shadow indicates six more weeks of harsh Winter. IMO the
Groundhog's Day celebration symbolizes arrival of a new
sun/suitor. If no shadow appears upon the sun/suitor's arrival,
then fertile Spring quickly arrives. But if the new sun/suitor
detects a strong shadow (symbolizing the former God), then the
new sun/suitor hides for another six weeks and fertile Spring's
arrival is postponed.

Some basic definitions:

ever-present companion -- a distracting robotic disrupter.
(Alluding to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle from Physics,)
Gosseyn II can control the disrupter or he can concentrate

on his surroundings, but not both simultaneously. And the
uncontrolled disruptor chaotically changes Gosseyn II's

surroundings thus hindering Gosseyn II's return. IMO the
corresponding Chaos Magick analogy is an interfering gossipy

human companion whose constant interference prevents a person

from concentrating on their own life and goals, and whose
gossiping ruins a person's good reputation.

Chaos Magick often creates and exploits victims' inability
to combat chaos. IMO Chaos Magick is a psychological and
financial phenomenon as much as a physical phenomenon.
"Satan's Underground: The Extraordinary Story of One Women's
Escape" (ISBN 0-88289-876-0) is author Lauren Stratford's
confused autobiography that depicts the relationship between

Ms. Stratford and her controlling ever-present 'spirit guide'

after Ms. Stratford escapes from an abusive $ex cult.

Most people are _reactively_ familiar with the so-called

<*> Some people state that 'Blessed Be' merely signifies

'Goodbye and Good Luck', and that I am stretching this greeting's
intention to preposterous levels. I stand behind my statements
based upon common language usage in my locale. The United States

domestic economy is shrinking as evidenced by rising interest
rates; high un(der)employment (net loss of full time jobs, and

post-unemployment-compensation workers falling down from the

Government counts of unemployed workers); and record credit debt
levels (including recurring monthly trade deficits). Economic
downsizing symptoms include rapidly rising living costs (e.g.,
energy, housing and food); and local T V commercial messages
featuring home equity loans, title and 'cash until payday' loans,
pawn shops, 'quick success' trade schools, and openly-litigious
lawyers instead of locally produced products and services. IMO

many people (a gender-neutral term) will consider marriage the
solution to their worsening financial problems, and will consider
pregnancy the path to marriage. Yet according to Professor
Lionel Tiger ("The Decline of Males: The First Look At An
Unexpected New World For Men And Women", c1999, ISBN 0-312-26311-2),
increasingly the hiring market is controlled by women who favor
hiring (single, economically motivated) women supporting children.
IMO this economic trend does not favor pregnancy-motivated marriage

as an _enduring_ path to happiness and prosperity.

<*> IMO an unmarried pregnant woman might consider the greeting
'Goodbye and Good Luck' a mixed blessing or even a (self-inflicted?)
curse. IMO the issue of a woman's right (and responsibility) to
control her own body was accepted in the early 1970's. (Sexual
abstinence is one method a woman can utilize to satisfy her
responsibility to control her own body.) And my state
of residence's laws do _not_ include 'common law marriage' --
sharing a residence does not equate to marriage in my state of
residence.

Richard Ballard