Earth Like Planet Discovered 20 Light Years Away

1 view

CoreyWhite

May 1, 2007, 12:05:36 PM5/1/07
A twin for planet Earth?

EUROPEAN astronomers may have made the most important scientific
discovery of the new millennium. The scientists believe they have
detected an Earth-like planet circling a red dwarf star a mere 20
light-years away.

That's roughly 120 trillion miles for those calculating the frequent
flier points between here and the heart of the constellation Libra.

Now dubbed 581c - a name only a tax accountant could love - it is one-
third of a planetary system circling a star called Gilese 581.

Little is known about the planet besides the fact that it is 50
percent larger than Earth and five times heavier. Its temperature is
believed to range between 32 and 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Scientists
also suspect the presence of an atmosphere and water, both essential
elements for life as we know it.

In the last decade, astronomers have discovered roughly 200 planets
outside our solar system, but 581c is the first to bear even a
superficial resemblance to our own. There's a lot of excitement about
that, even though it is unlikely that a human will ever set foot on
that rocky world.

Just the possibility of another habitable planet is so tantalizing
that scientists will devote countless hours to studying every piece of
data about it until we can answer one question: Do we have neighbors
on 581c?

With the discovery of this Earth-like world, scientists believe it is
only a matter of time before similar planets are discovered, perhaps
even closer to us than 581c.

boson boss

May 1, 2007, 12:59:12 PM5/1/07

Would be back from another planet in about 50 years?

CoreyWhite

May 1, 2007, 1:34:02 PM5/1/07

You haven't heard of this yet? The Aliens are already here Boson!
They have made contact.