Printable blank playing cards

Harlan Messinger

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
I'd like to be able to print my own playing cards, using an HP
Officejet ink jet printer. Does anyone know of playing card stock in
perforated sheets or sold with some other mechanism for enabling cards
to be fed through a printer? Important: the finish of the cards has to
be compatible with the ink. I got some decks of blank Fox Lake cards,
and the ink from my printer wipes right off of them even after letting
them sit over night.

Alternatively, what are good writing or drawing implements to use to
get a good, bright, permanent image onto blank playing cards?

--
Harlan Messinger
There are no Zs in my actual e-mail address.

Deathsdoor

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
Have you tried using a fine sand/glass paper on the cards to remove the
sheen before printing?

Deathsdoor.

Harlan Messinger <zzzhme...@erols.com> wrote in message

Polidor1

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
You may also try buying some spray fixative from your local art supply store.
Artists use this to "fix" the charcoal drawings they do so the drawing does not
rub off. If have used this with some success. It is a bit trial and error
though as to how much to spray on.

good luck.

Sandy

Harlan Messinger

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
"Deathsdoor" <death...@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote:

>Have you tried using a fine sand/glass paper on the cards to remove the
>sheen before printing?

The thing is that a playing card fnish was what I needed, at least I
thought so, because I want to be able to shuffle and deal these cards.
I tried going with blank index cards, and they were barely usable, so
I decided to seek out the real thing.

Harlan Messinger

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
poli...@aol.com (Polidor1) wrote:

>You may also try buying some spray fixative from your local art supply store.
>Artists use this to "fix" the charcoal drawings they do so the drawing does not
>rub off. If have used this with some success. It is a bit trial and error
>though as to how much to spray on.

I considered that, but thought that I'd either make the coat so light
that coverage would be poor, or so heavy that it would ruin the
texture of the cards and their handling ability. Since you've dealt
with the trickiness of this procedure and have gotten some
satisfaction, I may give it a try. Thanks!

Andy

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Hank Lee's (and maybe others?) sells a kit made for printing playing cards on
color lasers or copiers. dunno if they work on ink jets since the ink is
waterbased.

Andy Leviss -- magkl...@aol.com
Check out my "Look Out World!" lecture and product line:
http://members.aol.com/lookoutwld

Harlan Messinger

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
magkl...@aol.com (Andy) wrote:

Hmmmm...there's a color laser at my office. Maybe I can do my printing
there. Thanks for the resource.

Kaj Eylers

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Hmmm very interesting, could anybody give out any info regarding this kit? I
have been looking, but had no luck finding it :o(

TIA,
Kaj

"Andy" <magkl...@aol.com> wrote in message

dhu...@my-deja.com

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
In article <383916a4$0$32...@reader2.casema.net>,

"Kaj Eylers" <k...@lostcity.nl> wrote:
> Hmmm very interesting, could anybody give out any info regarding this
kit? I
> have been looking, but had no luck finding it :o(

It is a water based decal. Very similar to the ones we put on model
airplaines, cars, rockets, etc. as a kid.

I haven't made them myself but I have seen the finished product and it
looks very good.

Best,
Dan-

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

BTIllusion

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
Actually the decals are of the dry rub-on type. A water-based decal would ruin
the card. Most major magic shops carry them.

Best, Bill Taylor

Kaj Eylers

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
Anyone actually bought the stuff from Hank Lee, end knows if we're talking
water decal or rub decal here?
I think they're both not really scratch/rub proof, maybe with some spray
finish, end I remember these small borders around the symbols with both
decals. This could be solved by making the decal the size of the card of
course, but okay.
Would it be useful for making 'real' gaffs, or just photo-cards/gag cards?

Anyone?
Kaj

Ray Haddad

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 20:36:05 GMT, zzzhme...@erols.com (Harlan
Messinger) wrote:

>I'd like to be able to print my own playing cards, using an HP

>Officejet ink jet printer. Does anyone know of playing card stock in
>perforated sheets or sold with some other mechanism for enabling cards
>to be fed through a printer? Important: the finish of the cards has to
>be compatible with the ink. I got some decks of blank Fox Lake cards,
>and the ink from my printer wipes right off of them even after letting
>them sit over night.
>
>Alternatively, what are good writing or drawing implements to use to
>get a good, bright, permanent image onto blank playing cards?

Here's how I do it with a great success rate.

Get some T-shirt printing material for inkjet printers at your office
supply house. The are about $20.00 per package of 10 sheets. That's
enough to make about 250 playing cards if you fill up each sheet
before you print it. You can make around 25 cards per sheet. You'll
also need a deck of blank faced cards that you can get from any magic
dealer.

Take a blank playing card and use very fine sandpaper on the face to
remove the surface sheen from the plastic coating. Just a light
sanding is all that is required. Be thorough and make sure you don't
miss any places. It's critical to the final image.

Using your favorite picture program, make the image you wish to put on
the card in mirror image format. That is, left to right mirroring so
that text is backwards on the screen but not upside down. Make sure it
will fit on a playing card. If you make up 25 at once, make the image
into a 5 by 5 matrix to match your sheet. If not, you will have many
wasted chunks of iron on material. Try and fill it up even with joke
type material so you maximize the material use.

Cut one picture so it is slightly smaller than a playing card and iron
the picture on the card using low heat. Don't overlap the image on the
card. Make sure there is at least 1/16" or 1mm of space around the
image. Also, don't use a soft ironing surface like most ironing
boards. Use a fairly stiff piece of wood covered with one layer of
cloth. That will keep the card from being wrinkled by the heat.

After it cools, spray coat the surface of your playing card with
either Krylon Matte Finish clear coating or Krylon Gloss finish clear
coating. Use matte if you want a roughed surface or one without gloss
and the gloss for shiny cards that resemble the sheen of an ordinary
card.

I recommend only the Krylon brand because after many experiments with
other brands, it was the only one that could take repeated riffle
shuffling and not crack. It remained flexible and coated the card
well.

The finish does two things. It prevents peeling of the iron on
material because you have left a small exposed area around the image
and it makes the image scuff proof. In addition, depending on the
brand of iron on material, it makes the image sharper since it makes
the iron on material transparent.

This method works for photo quality cards or for simple text.

Have fun with this.

Best Always,
Ray

dhu...@my-deja.com

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
In article <19991122183413...@ng-ch1.aol.com>,

I think you are mistaken. FAKO sheets are rub off dry transfer. These
are printed on a color copier and wet decal. You don't need to transfer
much water to get it on the card. The decal is damp not wet and dries
quickly. I've seen the finished product and they look fantastic.

travisjd

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
Where (URL) is these kits... I would really like to have one! Has
anyone tried/had any luck with laser printers. I really like the iron
on idea! Is there anywhere you can buy single or a group of gaffed
cards in bicycle?

Any info in appriciated,
-Travis

dhu...@my-deja.com

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
In article <136f266c...@usw-ex0102-014.remarq.com>,

Hank Lee's has a slew of them. I saw some in the showroom last night.

http://www.magicfact.com

Bit 2000

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
I seriously dont think that you can print ON TOP of the finish of the cards.
The finish is normally put on afterward, and any ink that does get put on it
should wipe off. On the other hand, it seems that if you print on normal paper,
You lose the finish, and the cards will be very, very hard to work with. Looks
like you're stuck. What did you want to print that you can't buy anyway?

Polidor1

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
I bought the Custom Playing Cards kit (from Hank Lee, I think) and am about to
try it. I created the artwork on my computer and color laser printed it out on
to the sheets and it looks beautiful! I actually tried to create art that could
be color laser copied at Kinko's, but the laser print from the computer looked
much better. Now I just have to apply them to my cards. I'll let you know how
they turned out...

Best,

Sandy
Poli...@aol.com

Harlan Messinger

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
bit...@aol.com (Bit 2000) wrote:

Something entirely unrelated to magic (but I thought this would be a
good place to ask, and it was): Hebrew letters, so I can give my
Hebrew school kids decks of cards to play Concentration with and learn
the letters from.

Harlan Messinger

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Ray Haddad <rha...@iexpress.net.au> wrote:

>Here's how I do it with a great success rate.

Thanks for the testimonial!

Harlan Messinger

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
"Kaj Eylers" <k...@lostcity.nl> wrote:

>Hmmm very interesting, could anybody give out any info regarding this kit? I
>have been looking, but had no luck finding it :o(

It's not easy to find! I contacted Hank Lee, and he told me it was
"Custom Playing Cards", currently found in his Back to School Extras
section, which is in turn under the Extras link from his home page.
When I looked for it, it was a bunch of pages in from there, at
http://www.magicfact.com/extras/E999/E999-10.html. An annoying site to
navigate, and this item wasn't in the alphabetic index.

Andy

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Don't know if I just happenned to be lucky or not, but I remembered that a few
years ago I was able to scan and print a fingerprint on top of a standard
playing card using a laser printer (HP Laserjet 4P, I believe) that looked
perfect and was permanent enough that when I cleaned out my desk a couple
months ago and found some they were still perfect and quite permanent when I
tried rubbing them off.

Andy

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Not in particular defense of Hank, but just as an explanation from what I know,
Hank bases his site on his snail mailings, which are seasonal "extras" that
feature about 12 pages of new effects, books, and videos. He puts these up on
the website reformatted to fit the web browser, but otherwise pretty much
exactly how you'd see them if you were on his snail mailing list. The reason
the kit wasn't in the alphabetical index is that that index is from the catalog
he puts out every few years and this effect is only a few months old, way after
the catalog came out. I'm not saying this is the best way to run a site, but
at least figured I could shed some light on why you couldn't easily find that
stuff.