Court Card gif pictures

roger_tmi

Mar 11, 2007, 10:13:56 AM3/11/07
I've been spending hours tidying up scans that I have made on the
court cards - Bicycle rider back Jacks, Queens, Kings & the Ace of
Spaces. The cards only consist of 5 colours, Black, Blue, Red, Gold
and the background which is cream.

However, the scans that I have taken are 256 colour, and the edges of
the colours are nowhere near sharp. They gradually change (well
gradually when I view them in very close-up detail) from one colour to
the other.

I'm cleaning up the pictures so that the colours are sharp, but it's
an extremely long and laborious process. I'm gradually producing
'gif' pictures of 16 colours - the 5 above with the remainder of the
16 are left black. (I've found that 'jpg' pictures revert to 256
colours (minimum) and re-blur the edges.)

Can I please ask if anyone has already gone through this process, and
is willing to make the pictures available. The larger the scanned
size, the better the final quality.

Ive had Mike's permission to try and make a version of Mike Danata's
'Beach Parade', which is available on his site
www.mikedanatasmagicstudio.co.uk in the Cards section. However, this
version is for the girls (featuring pictures of lads instead of
topless girls).

Thanks.

Eric H.

Mar 11, 2007, 8:33:23 PM3/11/07
roger_tmi wrote:

> I'm cleaning up the pictures so that the colours are sharp, but it's
> an extremely long and laborious process. I'm gradually producing
> 'gif' pictures of 16 colours - the 5 above with the remainder of the
> 16 are left black. (I've found that 'jpg' pictures revert to 256
> colours (minimum) and re-blur the edges.)

Are you sure that the edges are being blurred and that you're not
reducing the quality of the JPG? Anything less than 100% quality means
it will do exactly as you describe. The min colors is a part of the JPEG
standard so that's expected.

It sounds like PNG might be the better format for you as it is great
with a small number of colors, or maybe TIFF though expect LARGE filesizes.

Remember that there's a big difference between formats that people use
for WEB publishing and PRINT publishing.

HTH

Lukan

Mar 12, 2007, 12:19:39 AM3/12/07
> However, the scans that I have taken are 256 colour, and the edges of
> the colours are nowhere near sharp. They gradually change (well
> gradually when I view them in very close-up detail) from one colour to
> the other.

You've obviously scanned them at a shit resolution. Throw out what
you've got and rescan them at 300dpi.

> 16 are left black. (I've found that 'jpg' pictures revert to 256
> colours (minimum) and re-blur the edges.)

Use Adobe Photoshop, or another semi-decent program.

roger_tmi

Mar 12, 2007, 5:47:04 PM3/12/07
Thanks for the advice. I haven't used a 'png' format before, my
scanner can only create tiff or jpg format. It might be worth a go.

The jpg's were changed to gif's immediately after the scan, so that I
could reduce the colours to 16, and then edit to the 5 colours that
the card needs.

I need to make a print of the cleaned up picture onto a blank fronted
card, so that the card and all the pictures look the same.

I'm still working on my scans, tidying them up, so I'd still like to
know if anyone has already got decent sharp scans of the court cards.
I can then create the version of 'Beach Parade' for the girls (see
www.mikedanatasmagicstudio.co.uk cards section).

roger_tmi

roger_tmi

Mar 12, 2007, 6:01:24 PM3/12/07
I scanned at 400 dots per millimeter, so it's a reasonable quality
scan to start with. Better than the 300 dpi that you suggest.
The progremme that I'm using to clean up the pictures is Paint Shop
Pro version 9. This is a Corel product, so it should be good quality
software.

Whatever the software, at this sort of resolution it's taking me a
long time to clean up the scans and produce sharp edges so that I can
print at good quality as close to a proper card as I can.

I'm still interested in hearing from anyone who has already scanned
the court cards and cleaned up the pictures. This will save me
further hours of work making the female version of 'Beach Parade'.
(I'd better put in the link to the card section of
www.mikedanatasmagicstudio.co.uk in case anyone is interested in the
source of this).

roger_tmi

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:19:39 +1300, Lukan <mxa...@wcbdcasch.com>