Canadian Walmart Photo Centre Problems?

1 view

Doug Mitton

Nov 9, 2008, 11:03:15 AM11/9/08
Hi All;

I'm looking to see if anyone can confirm a change on the Walmart Photo
web site. It appears it has gone "Internet Explorer" only as I can't
get Konqueror or Mozilla on Linux (or WinXP) to work. The clerk at
the store says she is processing online orders. It was working fine
for the last couple of years and up to 1 month ago. The "look" is now
different also.

I submit photos regularly online then go to the store and pick them
up. My main use of this though is to send pictures to my parents in
another province who do not have a computer.

Sometime in the last month it appears they have started using a new
"shopping cart" vendor. Regardless, the new system allows uploading,
editting and the like BUT as soon as you select photos to send to the
"Shopping Cart" the list is empty and the message states "you must
select size, finish and quantity prior to submitting your order".

As you might expect there is no "Contact Us" link on the photo site or
the shopping-cart software. I have sent a message via the main
Walmart page but it is a Mon-Fri only system.

Regardless, do any other Linux using Canadians use this service, is it
working for you and if so, what browser are you using?

TIA!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
SPAM Reduction: Remove ".invalid" from my domain.

David W. Hodgins

Nov 9, 2008, 1:04:09 PM11/9/08
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:03:15 -0500, Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> I'm looking to see if anyone can confirm a change on the Walmart Photo
> web site. It appears it has gone "Internet Explorer" only as I can't

Using http://www.walmartphotocentre.ca

I was able to upload a photo, select it for printing, select the shopping
cart, and which store to pick it up from, and went as far as the "enter
contact information". Except for having to use the "basic uploader",
instead of the java applet, everything seems to be ok.

I'm using opera 9.62 on Mandriva linux 2009.0, with java version 1.6.0_10.

Opera is available at http://www.opera.com/download/linux/

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Doug Mitton

Nov 11, 2008, 9:30:12 AM11/11/08
Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>Hi All;
>
>I'm looking to see if anyone can confirm a change on the Walmart Photo
>web site. It appears it has gone "Internet Explorer" only as I can't
>get Konqueror or Mozilla on Linux (or WinXP) to work. The clerk at
>the store says she is processing online orders. It was working fine
>for the last couple of years and up to 1 month ago. The "look" is now
>different also.
>
>I submit photos regularly online then go to the store and pick them
>up. My main use of this though is to send pictures to my parents in
>another province who do not have a computer.
>
>Sometime in the last month it appears they have started using a new
>"shopping cart" vendor. Regardless, the new system allows uploading,
>editting and the like BUT as soon as you select photos to send to the
>"Shopping Cart" the list is empty and the message states "you must
>select size, finish and quantity prior to submitting your order".
>
>As you might expect there is no "Contact Us" link on the photo site or
>the shopping-cart software. I have sent a message via the main
>Walmart page but it is a Mon-Fri only system.
>
>Regardless, do any other Linux using Canadians use this service, is it
>working for you and if so, what browser are you using?
>
>TIA!

Well, I haven't really heard from Walmart BUT I have found a solution.

I have been using Mozilla Firefox 1.5.x since my original
installation. It seems that Walmart has now made this version
obsolete. If I upgrade to (interim) 2.0.0.17 or the current 3.0.3 all
is working again.

I guess I'm a little at fault BUT I do wish they would provide
meaningful error messages in situations like this. My poor-ole 1.5.x
version was working so well.

Any way, it seems to be resolved ... for now!

Thanks for all the feedback and comments!

Claude Hopper

Nov 11, 2008, 12:30:44 PM11/11/08
Doug Mitton wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I'm looking to see if anyone can confirm a change on the Walmart Photo
> web site. It appears it has gone "Internet Explorer" only as I can't
> get Konqueror or Mozilla on Linux (or WinXP) to work. The clerk at
> the store says she is processing online orders. It was working fine
> for the last couple of years and up to 1 month ago. The "look" is now
> different also.
>
> I submit photos regularly online then go to the store and pick them
> up. My main use of this though is to send pictures to my parents in
> another province who do not have a computer.
>
> Sometime in the last month it appears they have started using a new
> "shopping cart" vendor. Regardless, the new system allows uploading,
> editting and the like BUT as soon as you select photos to send to the
> "Shopping Cart" the list is empty and the message states "you must
> select size, finish and quantity prior to submitting your order".
>
> As you might expect there is no "Contact Us" link on the photo site or
> the shopping-cart software. I have sent a message via the main
> Walmart page but it is a Mon-Fri only system.
>
> Regardless, do any other Linux using Canadians use this service, is it
> working for you and if so, what browser are you using?
>
> TIA!

Buy your own photo printer.

--
Claude Hopper :)

? ? ¥

ray

Nov 11, 2008, 12:37:49 PM11/11/08
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:03:15 -0500, Doug Mitton wrote:

> Hi All;
>
> I'm looking to see if anyone can confirm a change on the Walmart Photo
> web site. It appears it has gone "Internet Explorer" only as I can't
> get Konqueror or Mozilla on Linux (or WinXP) to work. The clerk at the
> store says she is processing online orders. It was working fine for the
> last couple of years and up to 1 month ago. The "look" is now different
> also.
>
> I submit photos regularly online then go to the store and pick them up.
> My main use of this though is to send pictures to my parents in another
> province who do not have a computer.
>
> Sometime in the last month it appears they have started using a new
> "shopping cart" vendor. Regardless, the new system allows uploading,
> editting and the like BUT as soon as you select photos to send to the
> "Shopping Cart" the list is empty and the message states "you must
> select size, finish and quantity prior to submitting your order".
>
> As you might expect there is no "Contact Us" link on the photo site or
> the shopping-cart software. I have sent a message via the main Walmart
> page but it is a Mon-Fri only system.
>
> Regardless, do any other Linux using Canadians use this service, is it
> working for you and if so, what browser are you using?
>
> TIA!

Maybe it's time to dump the other evil empire, as well.

Harold Stevens

Nov 11, 2008, 1:25:08 PM11/11/08
In <6ntu7d...@mid.individual.net> ray:

[Snip...]

> Maybe it's time to dump the other evil empire, as well.

There was a similar thread about a month ago concerning ATT morons:

I looked nearly half an hour for an ATT contact about their total FUBAR
webpage experience but finally gave up.

Customers? We don't need no steeenking customers! We're M$/ATT/WalMart!

No wonder the world's heading into a major business meltdown:

This column is dedicated to the top managers of American business whose
policies and practices helped ensure Barack Obama's victory. The
mandate for change that sounded across this country is not limited to
our new President and Congress. That bell also tolls for you. Obama's
triumph was ignited in part by your failure to understand and respect
your own consumers, customers, employees, and end users. The despair
that fueled America's yearning for change and hope grew to maturity in
your garden.

More:

http://www.businessweek.com/managing/content/nov2008/ca2008117_654471.htm

JMO; YMMV...

I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

ray

Nov 11, 2008, 1:33:40 PM11/11/08
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:25:08 -0600, Harold Stevens wrote:

> In <6ntu7d...@mid.individual.net> ray:
>
> [Snip...]
>
>> Maybe it's time to dump the other evil empire, as well.
>
> There was a similar thread about a month ago concerning ATT morons:

> I looked nearly half an hour for an ATT contact about their total FUBAR
> webpage experience but finally gave up.
>
> Customers? We don't need no steeenking customers! We're M$/ATT/WalMart!
>
> No wonder the world's heading into a major business meltdown:
>
> This column is dedicated to the top managers of American business
> whose policies and practices helped ensure Barack Obama's victory.
> The mandate for change that sounded across this country is not
> limited to our new President and Congress. That bell also tolls for
> you. Obama's triumph was ignited in part by your failure to
> understand and respect your own consumers, customers, employees, and
> end users. The despair that fueled America's yearning for change and
> hope grew to maturity in your garden.
>
> More:
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/managing/content/nov2008/
ca2008117_654471.htm

> JMO; YMMV...

I generally eschew WM, but recently I was looking for a Crosman 1377 air
pistol. The price advertised on the WM website was lower than others I
could find, so on a whim I printed out the instructions for ordering one
from the local store (not sold on internet). I took the printout to the
sporting goods department, as instructions said to do. After waiting a few
minutes to find a clerk, I was tolk I would have to got to "site to store"
to order that. So I did. No one there. Punched the button to summon
assistance. After about five minutes a clerk shows up. I explain what I'd
like, so he disappears into the back room and other few minutes later
shows up with another clerk. Talk to her and explain the situation (third
time now, remember) and I'm told she'll have to call her supervisor to
place the order. At this point, I decided the $5 I'd save over Sportman's
Warehouse was not worth it and left - while the clerk is shouting to me
that all she has to do is call her supervisor out.

Moe Trin

Nov 12, 2008, 3:03:39 PM11/12/08
On 11 Nov 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.linux, in article
<6nu1g4...@mid.individual.net>, ray wrote:

>Harold Stevens wrote:

>> Customers? We don't need no steeenking customers! We're M$/ATT/WalMart!
>>
>> No wonder the world's heading into a major business meltdown:

I don't know if you are still subscribed to Av Leak & Spy Technology,
but if you are, see the 'Correspondence' section in the November 10,
2008 issue... two of them actually - top of page 8 "Dark Side of
Outsourcing" and item on the left of page 10 "Why Seniors Hate To Fly".
The item "A Mixed Blessing" on the end of page 9 also rings a bell.

For those not in the aviation or defense industry (and thus unlikely to
find that magazine), the last two are referring to the joys of airline
flights. About two years ago, Southwest Airlines ran a TV ad speaking
about extra fees charged by some airlines, and wondered "What's Next?"
(and came up with the brilliant idea of pay toilets on the planes).

>I generally eschew WM, but recently I was looking for a Crosman 1377
>air pistol. The price advertised on the WM website was lower than
>others I could find, so on a whim I printed out the instructions for
>ordering one from the local store (not sold on internet). I took the
>printout to the sporting goods department, as instructions said to do.

[snip tale of "not my job - see the people over ---> there"]

Minor question - was this the usual case of incompetence, or was this a
result of you trying to buy a weapon of mass destruction? WalMart and
others do sell firearms and munitions in store, but you've got to jump
through hoops to satisfy federal/state/county/city/store regulations. I
ran into such crap recently when trying to buy... paper targets. I
guess the concern is about training terrorists - maybe I should content
myself by using tin-cans and bottles (make that beer cans and whisk[e]y
bottles) instead.

Old guy

ray

Nov 12, 2008, 3:45:08 PM11/12/08

A .177 air pistol is hardly a "weapon of mass destruction". In most
jurisdictions, it is not classified as a firearm - in the state of Idaho
they are freely sold over the counter - in fact WM has several air rifles
on display in their aisles - ready for sale. I went to Sportsman's
Warehouse, picked one off the aisle display, went to checkout, paid for it
and went home.

As to targets, if you're doing air guns, you might want to look into metal
field targets. Deploy at whatever distance, unroll the string, shoot the
target through the hole - it falls backward - pull the string to reset.
Airgun field target is a really cool sport.

ray

Nov 12, 2008, 3:45:07 PM11/12/08
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:03:39 -0600, Moe Trin wrote:

A .177 air pistol is hardly a "weapon of mass destruction". In most

Harold Stevens

Nov 12, 2008, 5:19:19 PM11/12/08
In <slrnghmdkj.g...@compton.phx.az.us>:

[Snip...]

> I don't know if you are still subscribed to Av Leak & Spy Technology

That's a real blast from the past! I haven't seen that since leaving the
aerospace/defense world 4+ years ago. I could afford them only when they
came free as a part of the workplace library. :)

> about extra fees charged by some airlines, and wondered "What's Next?"
> (and came up with the brilliant idea of pay toilets on the planes).

The $30 roundtrip "fee" I'll pay American to check one very small bag at
Thanksgiving is quite likely the last "fee" like that I'll pay for those
nickel and dime scams while waiting for American to go Chapter 11.

Bringing this back a bit more on topic: I had the "pleasure" of doing an
upgrade/maintenance cycle on an XP install I found in a dumpster, now in
a multiboot setup with SuSE 10.0 and Kubuntu 8.04.

I was reminded just how expensive M$ products are, and not only in terms
of the retail price alone. There's the added burden of doing the regular
malware updates. Those updates and followup scan are at least an hour or
more. And I keep waiting for the nagware at any moment to remind me it's
time to enter my credit card info to continue this protection racket.

I've never had any problem keeping malware of any sort off Linux servers
and desktops, when I was at work, or in personal use. Linux is much more
secure from gitgo, and costs almost nothing to maintain outside a simple
and routine quick daily maintenance check on most recent distros.

Finally and most important to me: I don't have to deal with any arrogant
Big Bidness nonsense from the likes of M$ or WalMart, with Linux.

Moe Trin

Nov 13, 2008, 3:01:18 PM11/13/08
On 12 Nov 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.linux, in article
<6o0tijF...@mid.individual.net>, ray wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> Minor question - was this the usual case of incompetence, or was
>> this a result of you trying to buy a weapon of mass destruction?
>> WalMart and others do sell firearms and munitions in store, but
>> you've got to jump through hoops to satisfy federal/state/county/
>> city/store regulations. I ran into such crap recently when trying
>> to buy... paper targets.

>A .177 air pistol is hardly a "weapon of mass destruction".

In the view of some individuals, it is. :-(

>In most jurisdictions, it is not classified as a firearm - in the
>state of Idaho they are freely sold over the counter - in fact WM has
>several air rifles on display in their aisles - ready for sale. I
>went to Sportsman's Warehouse, picked one off the aisle display, went
>to checkout, paid for it and went home.

I'm not in WM very often, but the last time I was, I'm pretty sure I
saw the standard Daisy Red Ryder stuff in one aisle. The better quality
stuff like the Crosman were under lock and key, but that's may well be
an anti-shoplifting exercise. I haven't needed a new air gun in quite
a few decades - the Sheriden Blue Streak still works very nicely TYVM.

>As to targets, if you're doing air guns, you might want to look into
>metal field targets. Deploy at whatever distance, unroll the string,
>shoot the target through the hole - it falls backward - pull the
>string to reset. Airgun field target is a really cool sport.

That's fine for plinking - but not very useful for competition. The
targets I was buying were standard 50 yard small-bore rifle targets.

Old guy

Moe Trin

Nov 13, 2008, 3:02:27 PM11/13/08
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.linux, in article
<slrnghmlj6...@aces.localdomain>, Harold Stevens wrote:

>In <slrnghmdkj.g...@compton.phx.az.us>:

>> I don't know if you are still subscribed to Av Leak & Spy Technology
>
>That's a real blast from the past! I haven't seen that since leaving
>the aerospace/defense world 4+ years ago. I could afford them only
>when they came free as a part of the workplace library. :)

The cover price (I wonder if _anyone_ pays that) is US$306 a year, but
the best subscription rate seems to be $239 for three years. I'm
probably getting my last renewal this year before retiring. The 'photo'
issue and databook is _almost_ worth it alone. The photos from the
Mars missions tips the balance for me. I _will_ miss it later.

>> about extra fees charged by some airlines, and wondered "What's
>> Next?" (and came up with the brilliant idea of pay toilets on the
>> planes).
>
>The $30 roundtrip "fee" I'll pay American to check one very small bag
>at Thanksgiving is quite likely the last "fee" like that I'll pay for
>those nickel and dime scams while waiting for American to go Chapter
>11.

I wonder if they refund the baggage fee if they loose your luggage?

Don't forget the US$2 a bottle for water or soft-drinks, and US$7 to
rent a pillow and blanket. Actually there have been a series of
articles about re-regulation - Robert Crandall (who's long gone from
AA) has been preaching it (example - speech at Wings Club in NYC on
June 10th). Freakin' idiots can't figure out how to price the product
to make money (even with substantially higher load factors and capacity
cutbacks) and they want protection from themselves. No. And they
wonder what happened to "customer loyalty" and employee morale. (If
you really think about it, the 'nickel and dime scams' is a well
established way of life - when was the last time you looked at your
phone and utility bills?)

You're close enough to Love Field - don't they go where you're going?

>Bringing this back a bit more on topic: I had the "pleasure" of doing
>an upgrade/maintenance cycle on an XP install I found in a dumpster,
>now in a multiboot setup with SuSE 10.0 and Kubuntu 8.04.

Lessee, sda1 Suse /, sda2 Kubuntu /, sda3 swap, sda4 /home - yeah,
that's a maintenance cycle on XP.

>I was reminded just how expensive M$ products are, and not only in
>terms of the retail price alone. There's the added burden of doing
>the regular malware updates.

Hmmm, I though the malware got updated within a minute or two of
connecting a windoze box to the net. Are you saying the skript kiddiez
are charging to put the latest malware on the system? My... what is
the world coming to? ;-)

Old guy

ray

Nov 13, 2008, 3:14:27 PM11/13/08

Actually, I compete with the Idaho Airgun Field Target Club every month
(March thru November). See aafta.org and pomon-airguns.com/IdahoFT.htm
among others.

Harold Stevens

Nov 13, 2008, 4:15:40 PM11/13/08
In <slrnghp1ui.d...@compton.phx.az.us> Moe Trin:

[Snip...]

> wonder what happened to "customer loyalty" and employee morale

American has come real close to putting themselves out of business with a
history of very contentious labor negotiations going back years now.

As for customers IMO with legacy airlines it's clear customers are simply
cattle. I suppose management might act genuinely surprised and sorry when
an elderly person without their medication dies aboard a metal tube stuck
most of a day waiting for takeoff out on a taxiway:

Airline passenger rights are left stranded
08:03 AM CST on Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Airline passengers looking for protection against being
stranded for hours on tarmacs shouldn't count on help from a federal
task force that's been wrestling with the problem for nearly a year.

The tarmac task force, as it is informally known, was expected to vote
Wednesday on guidelines for airlines and airports on how to craft their
own contingency plans for dealing with lengthy tarmac delays. But the
task force recommends leaving it up to airlines and airports whether
they follow the guidelines or ignore them.

Source (watch linewrap):

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/
111308dnbuspassengerrights.ab5bdd.html

Let's revisit why this is relevant to libre software.

Big Bidness is threatened by anything libre, because the focus with libre
is on *service* not *price* and Big Bidness fails miserably at service.

The SCO debacle could be summarized as one monumentally stupid attempt to
"monetize" libre software, with SCO a pissant Bid Bidness wannabe.

I won't shop WalMart, and I don't buy M$, and I despise SCO, because they
don't respect me.

IMO, it's not about gratis (price); it's about libre (respect).

> You're close enough to Love Field - don't they go where you're going?

If Southwest flew nonstop to any of my typical destinations, I would have
dumped American years ago. It's about the same drive from my place to one
or the other.

> Lessee, sda1 Suse /, sda2 Kubuntu /, sda3 swap, sda4 /home - yeah,
> that's a maintenance cycle on XP.

I very nearly did that (or something very similar), but I decided to keep
XP around, just to remind me how phrickin' GREAT Linux is. :)

Moe Trin

Nov 14, 2008, 10:19:59 PM11/14/08
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.linux, in article
<slrnghp67q...@aces.localdomain>, Harold Stevens wrote:

>In <slrnghp1ui.d...@compton.phx.az.us> Moe Trin:

>> wonder what happened to "customer loyalty" and employee morale
>
>American has come real close to putting themselves out of business with
>a history of very contentious labor negotiations going back years now.

They're far from the only one doing that - Management at Delta, NW and
United have equally screwed their employees. (Actually, I suppose you
could also say that about Brannif, Eastern, National, PanAm, Southern,
TWA, Western, and several others.) I love the comment you usually find
in the annual reports that they pay the VIPs "competitive" salaries and
bonuses in order to attract the best. That might be the stated goal,
but look what they get in return.

>As for customers IMO with legacy airlines it's clear customers are
>simply cattle.

Nope! Cattle get treated better - it's the law (as compared to)

> Airline passenger rights are left stranded
> 08:03 AM CST on Wednesday, November 12, 2008
> Associated Press

That was predicted some time ago - AW&ST 10/27/08 pg 48-51, 66

>> You're close enough to Love Field - don't they go where you're going?
>
>If Southwest flew nonstop to any of my typical destinations, I would
>have dumped American years ago.

I've lucked out, as most of the routes I needed were same plane or
non-stop flights. I've got two destinations where I'd have to change
planes, but that's still better than the alternatives.

>> Lessee, sda1 Suse /, sda2 Kubuntu /, sda3 swap, sda4 /home - yeah,
>> that's a maintenance cycle on XP.
>
>I very nearly did that (or something very similar), but I decided to
>keep XP around, just to remind me how phrickin' GREAT Linux is. :)

The few systems I've encountered with XP are usually missing the media
and are in such bad shape (user "improvements" and malware) that I
can't see any reason to continue to waste the disk space. In two cases,
I'm pretty sure the original owner had sold the media to some sucker,
and was unloading the hardware for the usual reason that vista wouldn't
fit/run on it. I'll bet they later regretted selling it.

Old guy