Dye Laser book recommendation?

lee...@yahoo.com

Nov 7, 2006, 1:13:10 PM11/7/06
Are there any books about how to design dye lasers? Just like
"Solid-State Laser Engineering" for solid-state laser?

All books I've read are talking about "how it works" "here is the
diagram"...these books didn't give any useful information about
numerical design.

STEVE ROBERTS

Nov 8, 2006, 10:54:58 AM11/8/06

what kind of dye laser do you wish to design? I can send you to
scholarly journal articles, there was only one bood on dye lasers as
such, written in the 70's and is very bad.
there is however tonnes of published stuff in the university system,
what do you want, cw, pulsed, flashlamp, naroow linewidth , raw power
etc?

schafer, dye lasers. is all I can rememeber, but dont waste your time.

Steve Roberts

lee...@yahoo.com

Nov 8, 2006, 6:34:50 PM11/8/06
just got this book yesterday. This is a thin, introduction book. I
just want to design a grating tuning mechanism with a narrowed beam
output. Much like the Lambda Physik Scanmate Dye laser. If you could
find good articles for me, I'd appreciate a lot!
p.s. the lambda physik scanmate : pumping beam 28 ns, tunable output
about 27 ns.

STEVE ROBERTS

Nov 10, 2006, 10:43:34 AM11/10/06

lee...@yahoo.com wrote:
> just got this book yesterday. This is a thin, introduction book. I
> just want to design a grating tuning mechanism with a narrowed beam
> output. Much like the Lambda Physik Scanmate Dye laser. If you could
> find good articles for me, I'd appreciate a lot!
> p.s. the lambda physik scanmate : pumping beam 28 ns, tunable output
> about 27 ns.

actually not bad, lots of documentation on this one

Theodore W. Hansch is the guy who came up with the baseline design,
google
Hansch Cavity and lotsa stuff will show up. it will take me a few days
but I can find some PDFs of the ones that are not on line. A Hansch
cavity is a dye cell with a telescope at one end to expand the
intracavity beam to fill the wavelength selecting grating which is
mounted in Littrow mode.

Steve

STEVE ROBERTS

Nov 10, 2006, 10:51:25 AM11/10/06
this is a start :

Tuned nitrogen laser pumped dye laser G. Capelle and D. Phillips
Applied Optics, Vol. 9, No. 12, Dec. 1970
An excellent article which discussed tuning a dye laser using a grating
as well as dye cell design.

Repetitively pulsed tunable dye laser for high resolution spectroscopy
T. W. Hansch
Applied Optics, Vol. 11, No. 4, April 1972
Describes the finer points of tuning a dye laser using both a grating
and an intra-cavity etalon.

steve