Curry?

Stanislaw Skowronek

Mar 4, 2003, 4:29:57 PM3/4/03
Hello all,

What is the bright yellow oil-soluble dye in curcuma (main ingredient of
curry), which can be excited by near-UV, like 395 nm? More important, can
it lase? ;)

Stanislaw Skowronek

--
The truth may be out there, but the lies are in your head.
-- Terry Pratchett

Piotr Zysek

Mar 4, 2003, 5:28:39 PM3/4/03
Hello!
I see that you are from Poland too :)

--
Best regards,
Piotr Zysek

Art

Mar 4, 2003, 6:08:45 PM3/4/03
I've heard of a Jello laser and a Kool-Aid laser, but a curry laser?
hmmm.... spicy!

ROITHNER LASERTECHNIK

Mar 5, 2003, 4:27:17 AM3/5/03
...it's not the question CAN IT LASE? - it's the question WHEN will it lase?
I'm sure it will lase sooner or later - it's only depending how hard you
pump it...;-))

A. Roithner

"Stanislaw Skowronek" <ssko...@et.put.poznan.pl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]

NightRunner

Mar 5, 2003, 11:33:18 AM3/5/03
"Instant curry; is it a flash in the pan?"
- Benny Hill

:-)

- NR

Rene Tschaggelar

Mar 5, 2003, 12:52:26 PM3/5/03
Dou you consider a population inversion to be a function of the
input power ?

Rene

Fucian

Mar 5, 2003, 1:42:27 PM3/5/03
Jello laser?Can someone point me towards more information about this?How would
it be pumped and what kinda output can i expect?How difficult would sometihng
liek this be?

MAtt

Adam

Mar 5, 2003, 3:05:29 PM3/5/03
"ROITHNER LASERTECHNIK" <off...@roithner-laser.com> wrote in message news:<Vpj9a.40148$AV5.5...@news.chello.at>...

> ...it's not the question CAN IT LASE? - it's the question WHEN will it lase?
> I'm sure it will lase sooner or later - it's only depending how hard you
> pump it...;-))
>
> A. Roithner

I want to see pictures if you get it to lase. :)

Steve Roberts

Mar 5, 2003, 4:37:45 PM3/5/03
fuc...@aol.com (Fucian) wrote in message news:<20030305134227...@mb-co.aol.com>...

edible lasing was first documented by Schawlow etc al.

You need disodium flourescein dye, its edible and nontoxic but not
something I'd want to do a lot, unless you like pissing orange in the
morning. or Rhodamine 6G, which is carcinogenic and mildly poisonous,
mixed into your jello. You need a exciting laser with a fast risetime,
high peak power pulse in the UV, ie pulsed nitrogen or excimer , maybe
qswitched fast 532 from a doubled yag.

There is quite a list, beer, vodka, jello,quinine water etc...

Steve Roberts

Mike Poulton

Mar 5, 2003, 4:43:20 PM3/5/03

Optically pumped to all hell, and not much output. It's basically a dye
laser with the dye dissolved in Jell-o gel instead of in a flowing solvent.
Edible with the right dye and solvent. Ethanol and fluorescein in gelatin
would be interesting -- "laser shots" instead of "Jell-o shots"?

--
Mike Poulton
MTP Technologies

Live free or die! http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/

Unless the government has a really excellent reason, anyone should be
allowed to possess, own, purchase, store, use, publish, say, or do
anything that does not cause demonstrable harm to another person without
that person's consent. "To fight terrorism" in the vague sense is not
even close to sufficient reason.

Sam Goldwasser

Mar 5, 2003, 6:30:05 PM3/5/03
Mike Poulton <mpou...@mtptech.com> writes:

> On 05 Mar 2003, fuc...@aol.com (Fucian) said:
>
> > Jello laser?Can someone point me towards more information about
> > this?How would it be pumped and what kinda output can i expect?How
> > difficult would sometihng liek this be?
>
> Optically pumped to all hell, and not much output. It's basically a dye
> laser with the dye dissolved in Jell-o gel instead of in a flowing solvent.
> Edible with the right dye and solvent. Ethanol and fluorescein in gelatin
> would be interesting -- "laser shots" instead of "Jell-o shots"?

There's actually a serious research paper on this topic. See the info
in the Laser FAQ:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasercdy.htm#cdycdye

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Adam

Mar 5, 2003, 7:59:14 PM3/5/03
fuc...@aol.com (Fucian) wrote in message news:<20030305134227...@mb-co.aol.com>...

I was told that you can pump red jello with an argon laser and it
comes out yellow. A few watts in might get you a couple hundred
milliwatts output?

Doug Dulmage

Mar 6, 2003, 4:06:13 AM3/6/03
In article <3e65321d....@news-byoa.prodigy.net>, fly...@warpspeed.com (Art) wrote:
>I've heard of a Jello laser and a Kool-Aid laser, but a curry laser?
>hmmm.... spicy!

Actually, and this is probably 100% urban legend, but what I heard as the
discovery of the first dye laser went something like this:
Back in the early 70's or so, remember when everyone had blacklights
and Hedrix posters all over the place? Well, there were some guys that were
working for IBM or some big company that was out in the Boston area somewhere,
and it was late at night and they decided to go out for a drink while they
talked over making a liquid laser. They got into some "blacklight bar" back
then, probably a bit of stuff whisping about in the air, etc. and a noisy
band, etc. But, they being good white shirt and blue tie guys, ordered a round
of Martini's. When the martinin's arrived, the first thing they noticed was
the they were glowing?! This had them a bit stumped as they had been trying a
lot of different dyes and not seeing that much flourescence with so little
pump source energy like all these blacklights. So, they went to the bar and
asked the bartender to take all the ingredients of a martini and pour them out
into seperate shot glasses, well, before it even got poured, they could tell
exactly what it was, it was the gin! So, they bought a fifth of gin and took
it back to their lab and I guess the rest as they say, is history. Or probably
UL, but still, it would be fun to think that's how it happened. I did hear
that from a good source back in the mid 70's while I was still a kid that had
gotten my first HeNe courtesy of a very wealthy uncle who lived in Missasauga
Ont. from a neighbor who had the first laser company in Canada, a fellow named
White if I remember. And they gave me this militarized monster that he yanked
off their line and gave it to me for my 10th birthday. And yes, I still have
it, the uncle passed away on Salt Spring Island BC a few years back, all those
stories and use of gin caught up with him, but having a few millions tucked
away never made his life miserable.. And I even remember when we could take
pictures of the beam and the photo shop would give us the prints for free as
they thought that the red blotch on the print was a mistake they made in their
lab, now that's old. In fact, they even had a monster Co2 at the Ontario
Science center that they would blow up stuff with twice a day I think, I only
saw it once, but it was COOOL.....

Ah, the fun days of youth..
Doug

ROITHNER LASERTECHNIK

Mar 6, 2003, 7:51:17 AM3/6/03
delighted group! Hwo knows the linewidth and the expected liftime of such a
jell-o-curry laser? Is it TEMoo? Can I mix it with plum pudding getting a
violet mode? ha...?

A. Roithner

Art

Mar 6, 2003, 12:54:18 PM3/6/03
I remember gin and tonic glowing under blacklight. I think the
quinine in the tonic water is flourescent. This may also be urban
legend as I was not able to find anything about this - but does anyone
remember glow-in-the-dark KoolAid briefly introduced in the '60's,
then pulled from store shelves? Someone claimed to make a KoolAid
laser from this. But this was many many brain cells ago...

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:06:13 GMT, dul...@visi.com (Doug Dulmage)

xxxman01

Mar 6, 2003, 1:25:56 PM3/6/03
Mike Poulton <mpou...@mtptech.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9335A08AAB42Cm...@129.93.1.40>...

> On 05 Mar 2003, fuc...@aol.com (Fucian) said:
>
> > Jello laser?Can someone point me towards more information about
> > this?How would it be pumped and what kinda output can i expect?How
> > difficult would sometihng liek this be?
>
> Optically pumped to all hell, and not much output. It's basically a dye
> laser with the dye dissolved in Jell-o gel instead of in a flowing solvent.
> Edible with the right dye and solvent. Ethanol and fluorescein in gelatin
> would be interesting -- "laser shots" instead of "Jell-o shots"?
Ho would you eat the mirrors?

KegBot

Mar 6, 2003, 6:49:53 PM3/6/03
I've also heard of a beer laser. I guess if you pump anything with
enough power you can get population inversion.

-Kegot

Doug Dulmage

Mar 8, 2003, 9:03:34 AM3/8/03
In article <kjnf6vkgg8e6emm1i...@4ax.com>, KegBot <keg...@nullmail.net> wrote:
>I've also heard of a beer laser. I guess if you pump anything with
>enough power you can get population inversion.

I think there was one fairly well known laser eng./physic's guy that once said
something to the effect:
"If you hit a telephone pole hard enough, it'll lase".. I've heard that used a
couple of times from very different types of sources, so it must have appeared
in some article somewhere. I don't think I'd like to be the one to prove it
though.. Probably the results of some military program gone wildly bad...

Doug

L. Michael Roberts

Mar 11, 2003, 11:17:59 AM3/11/03
Doug Dulmage wrote:
> In article <3e65321d....@news-byoa.prodigy.net>, fly...@warpspeed.com (Art) wrote:
>
>>I've heard of a Jello laser and a Kool-Aid laser, but a curry laser?
>>hmmm.... spicy!

<snip>

> I did hear
> that from a good source back in the mid 70's while I was still a kid that had
> gotten my first HeNe courtesy of a very wealthy uncle who lived in Missasauga
> Ont. from a neighbor who had the first laser company in Canada, a fellow named
> White if I remember.

The first laser display company in Canada that offered "have laser
show, will travel" services was run by myself under the name
Lightwriter and started in 1976. I was inspired by the Lasarium
shows at the Toronto planetarium that had been started a couple of
years before. A couple of years later, the then resident laserist
from Lasarium, Ken Deaton, teamed up with a local holographer and
operated a laser display company - the company name eludes me at the
moment.

<snip>

> In fact, they even had a monster Co2 at the Ontario
> Science center that they would blow up stuff with twice a day I think, I only
> saw it once, but it was COOOL.....

Yes that was an unusual CO2 laser as it only put out around 25
watts but was about 30 ft long! It was designed with glass
construction as much as possible so that the glowing gases can be
seen by the audience seated on "bleachers" in the laser demo room.
The most effective part of the demonstration was when they used a
lens to focus the beam onto a brick and actually burned a hole in
the brick! Nowadays we could do that kind of thing with a diode
array that would probably fit in one hand.

> Ah, the fun days of youth..
> Doug

Yes I remember them well :)

--
+==================== L. Michael Roberts =======================+
This represents my personal opinion and NOT Company policy

Doug Dulmage

Mar 13, 2003, 5:53:30 AM3/13/03
In article <3E6E0C37...@NoSpamThanks.net>, "L. Michael Roberts" <no...@NoSpamThanks.net> wrote:
>Doug Dulmage wrote:
>> In article <3e65321d....@news-byoa.prodigy.net>, fly...@warpspeed.com
> (Art) wrote:
>>
>>>I've heard of a Jello laser and a Kool-Aid laser, but a curry laser?
>>>hmmm.... spicy!
>
><snip>
>
>> I did hear
>> that from a good source back in the mid 70's while I was still a kid that had
>
>> gotten my first HeNe courtesy of a very wealthy uncle who lived in Missasauga
>
>> Ont. from a neighbor who had the first laser company in Canada, a fellow
> named
>> White if I remember.
>
> The first laser display company in Canada that offered "have laser
>show, will travel" services was run by myself under the name
>Lightwriter and started in 1976. I was inspired by the Lasarium
>shows at the Toronto planetarium that had been started a couple of
>years before. A couple of years later, the then resident laserist
>from Lasarium, Ken Deaton, teamed up with a local holographer and
>operated a laser display company - the company name eludes me at the
>moment.

Well, this was the first company in Canada to actually "build" lasers from
scratch, i.e. commercial HeNe's. It wasn't laser show stuff, they just had
the first assembly line as well as a grant from NRC or someone to get started.
If I remember right it must have been about 1967 as we moved away from
their in about 1973 or so, and I was pretty dang young as I remember taking it
to elemetary school for the science fair..
But they did make one heck of a militarized laser complete with what I think
at the time was some type of gun mount to use it as a rough type of aiming
laser. The one that I got was their laser, but in a cloned box of Edmund Sci.
design. Still pretty sure the fellows name was White. My uncle was Ronald
Clinch who was one of three owners of H.G.Acres Engineering that designed
and built most of the newer hydro at Kingston? in Niagara, they were a huge
multinational company and he and his 2 other partners took it over at the
age of about 35, I remember when they were on the cover of MacCleans
or whatever that was called as the youngest millionairs in Canada at that
time, plus he was the first private person to own a Lear Jet, although he
couldn't fly it, much like the 40ft. concrete hulled 3 mast sailboat at the
Port Credit Yacht Club that he couldn't sail without hiring a crew on. But
we all had great fun at holiday and such as he was a "happy" Brit that
liked to drink a bit much, and also revelled in getting my mom who didn't
drink much to the point that she would pass out face down in the mashed
potatoes and then he'd yell out for the cook to bring out another bottle..
Also, I remember that his son was one of the volunteers that ran the HAM
station at the science center on weekends as he was still in school at the
time, but I swear the kids room at home had one of everything from the
Heathkit catolog then which was a real catalog with TV's, real stereo gear,
etc. And that's where I got my first electronic kit from on my 8th bday from
him. And then he later bought me an oscilliscope kit when I got into 7th
grade. It's nice to have an uncle like that around even when you have great
parents.

Doug