Anyone else see this questionable E-bay laser?

Buffo

Apr 22, 2006, 12:12:07 PM4/22/06
Have a look at item # 7612579452 on E-bay...
(link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7612579452)
"Krypton Argon Laser with brand new bulb!"

ahhh... "Bulb"???? Don't know that I've ever seen an ion laser that
used a "bulb" before...

What's more, I don't think a 643 tube (the smallest available tube that
I know of that works as a mixed gas tube) would fit inside a 532
housing, and we've already discussed why whitelighting a 532 tube won't
work, which makes me wonder what sort of "bulb" was actually installed
by the seller. (Seller claims in the listing to have recently replaced
the tube.) I just don't see how it could possibly be Kr-Ar...

And I don't know where on earth they're selling these things for
"$20,000 new".

My spider-sense is tingling... but to be fair I asked the seller for
pics of the head in operation showing the multi-line whitelight
operation. (I'm not holding my breath though.)

Lostgallifreyan

Apr 22, 2006, 12:30:13 PM4/22/06

Sam Goldwasser

Apr 22, 2006, 1:18:21 PM4/22/06
Lostgallifreyan <no-...@nowhere.net> writes:

Well, in all fairness, he does use the word "tube" in the description.
But at 96% Feedback, no model number, no power measurements, no
additional information, really mediocre photos, obviously quite old with
a 150-type power supply, not sure how high it will go. I'd bid $25. :)

Patriot

Apr 22, 2006, 1:42:50 PM4/22/06
Also, he states it as being a krypton argon, yet, under the description he
lists the colors it emits, no yellow no red listed. Hmm...

Dave

"Sam Goldwasser" <s...@saul.cis.upenn.edu> wrote in message

Max Video

Apr 22, 2006, 4:33:08 PM4/22/06

This one caught my eye as just last week I received back from Evergreen
Lasers an Omnichrome 643 ar/kr laser that they rebuilt for me. BTW,
professional and an excellent rebuild.. Highly recommended!!!! While
they didnt put in a new "bulb", Evergreen put in new windows, new
beamsplitter, and many other improvements to have the tube speced at
230mw at 8 amps tube current. They also exchanged the optics out from
the original confocal micscropy TEMoo RYB optics, to TEMo1 RYGB optics.

Needless to say, I am very pleased with their workmanship! When shipped
back to me, Evergreen insured the laser for $10K, which should be
ballpark what Melles Griot would charge for a new 643. I do know Melles
Griot wants >5K+ for a replacement tube.

Seller had a Buy It Now price of $4000.00
I would say without a doubt it is a 150 tube as a 643 tube is not going
to fit in a 150 housing.
Patriot is right, where is the red and yellow listed in the
description, only argon lines.

spam@frontiernet.net C what I mean

Apr 22, 2006, 7:33:26 PM4/22/06
I emailed the seller and told him about the "tube" and the $20k new price
seemed unreal to me.. He said that new it was indeed about $20k.. I was
wondering if anyone ever did sell those for that much.. sounds a bit out of
the ball bark to me.. 300mW white lights from Laser Physics were only going
for $12k.

"Max Video" <stagefr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Buffo

Apr 22, 2006, 9:32:55 PM4/22/06

C what I mean wrote:
> I emailed the seller and told him about the "tube" and the $20k new price
> seemed unreal to me.. He said that new it was indeed about $20k..

Well, at least the seller replied to you. I have yet to receive a
reply to my question...

Either way though, I agree with Sam. 4 negatives with less than 100
transactions, no power measurements, crappy pictures, no model number
(or other info), and contradictory information in the header (Kr-Ar
listed but only argon lines claimed in the color list) tells me to stay
away from this one.

Sam Goldwasser

Apr 22, 2006, 9:57:46 PM4/22/06
"C what I mean" <no sp...@frontiernet.net> writes:

> I emailed the seller and told him about the "tube" and the $20k new price
> seemed unreal to me.. He said that new it was indeed about $20k.. I was
> wondering if anyone ever did sell those for that much.. sounds a bit out of
> the ball bark to me.. 300mW white lights from Laser Physics were only going
> for $12k.

That kind of exaggeration isn't the problem. Everything else is!

STEVE ROBERTS

Apr 24, 2006, 10:51:59 AM4/24/06

You can get 3-5 mW of 488 and 3-5 mW of 568 out of a 60X sized tube,
did that on the pump bench before. But that is in a low gain mode that
doesnt last long and you need to supress 647 and 530 or its squirelly.
DZ laser actually makes a 60K in teh blue yellow for confocal
microscopy. But I doubt this is one of them

Steve Roberts