Who authored this sher?

Saqib Ali

Nov 12, 2007, 6:41:04 PM11/12/07
Does anyone know who authored the following sher:

http://security-basics.blogspot.com/2007/11/blog-post.html

?

Message has been deleted

Naseer

Nov 13, 2007, 12:00:39 PM11/13/07
On Nov 13, 10:40 am, Sachin <sachin.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Saquib,
> Could you write the sher here in English script for the benefit of
> Urdu lovers like me who do not know Urdu script yet. May be I would be
> of help regarding the author then.
> Thanks,
> Sachin

janaab-i-Sachin Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

Please take a look at the link below and you will get your answer.

http://groups.google.com.au/group/alt.language.urdu.poetry/browse_frm/thread/2a5ab7a837cb31f3/691554cb6ab4ef57?hl=en#691554cb6ab4ef57

Naseer

Saqib Ali

Nov 14, 2007, 12:00:12 AM11/14/07
> Please take a look at the link below and you will get your answer.
> http://groups.google.com.au/group/alt.language.urdu.poetry/browse_frm...

Shukriya Naseer,

What does baavarii mean? And do you write it in urdu?

Thanks
saqib
http://security-basics.blogspot.com/

Naseer

Nov 14, 2007, 3:24:33 AM11/14/07
On Nov 14, 5:00 am, Saqib Ali <docbook....@gmail.com> wrote:

> What does baavarii mean? And do you write it in urdu?

janaab-i-Saqib Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

baavrii.....baaorii.....................baaolii

The word means rabid/mad/insane/crazy

be+zabar+alif+vaao+re+zer+ye

be+zabar+alif+vaao (with hamzah on top)+re+zer+ye

be+zabar+alif+vaao (with hamzah on top) + laam+zer+ye

I hope this helps.

Naseer

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Naseer

Nov 17, 2007, 4:31:00 AM11/17/07
On Nov 16, 6:55 am, Sachin <sachin.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 13, 10:00 pm, Naseer <qures...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi Saquib,
> > > Could you write the sher here in English script for the benefit of
> > > Urdu lovers like me who do not know Urdu script yet. May be I would be
> > > of help regarding the author then.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Sachin
>
> > janaab-i-Sachin Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.
>
> > Please take a look at the link below and you will get your answer.
>
> >http://groups.google.com.au/group/alt.language.urdu.poetry/browse_frm...
>
> > Naseer
>
> Mohataram Nasir,
> Yeh sher jisse Hindi mein "Doha" (two-liner) kahate hain, saint-poet
> Kabir (you can follow this link for more detailshttp://boloji.com/kabir/intro.htm)
> kaa likha hua hain. And to answer a separate question "baavari" means,
> depending on the contexts used, paagal yaa naadaan, insane.
>
> Angrezi aur Urdu ko saath mein hi estimaal kar raha hun, abhi meri
> Urdu utni pukhta nahi hain, mazarat-khwa huun...
> Khair Andesh,
> Sachin

janaab-i-Sachin jii aadaab 'arz hai.

I am glad that my hunch has been correct and that this dohaa is by
Sant Kabir.

agar aap apnii Urdu ko "puKHtah" karnaa chaahte haiN to ALUP meN aate
jaate rahiye!:) yahaaN par aap ko Urdu ke baRe baRe logoN (Afzal
Sahib, Raj Kumar Sahib, Sarwar Sahib, Zafar Sahib, UVR Sahib, Zoya
Sahiba, Amjad Sahib, Sharma Sahib, Chakravarti Sahib vaGhairah) se
baat-chiit karne kaa mauqa' mile gaa awr dekhte hii dekhte aap kii
Urdu meN bihtarii aa jaae gii. yaqiin-an.

KHair-andesh,
Naseer

Saqib Ali

Nov 18, 2007, 11:22:03 AM11/18/07
Shukriya Naseer Aur Sachin Sahib,

I tried to look up baavri in urdu lughat but couldn't find it. seems
like it is a not a urdu word.

Another Favor:
Can you please proof-read the urdu script of the sher at:
http://security-basics.blogspot.com/2007/11/blog-post.html

I am new to urdu, so I dont want to make any mistakes in spellings
etc....;

Shukriya

Raj Kumar

Nov 18, 2007, 11:49:48 AM11/18/07
On Nov 18, 8:22 am, Saqib Ali <docbook....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another Favor:
> Can you please proof-read the urdu script of the sher at:http://security-basics.blogspot.com/2007/11/blog-post.html
>
> I am new to urdu, so I dont want to make any mistakes in spellings
> etc....;

Saqib saahib, I took a look at your page and found the spellings all
right. However, I suspect that the contents of the first line of this
dohaa aren't quite right; rhythm-wise, something is lacking here. You
have written:

dunyaa baRii baavarii, patthar puujne jaaye,

which does not conform to the bahr in which dohaas are written. In my
opinion,

(1) in the first part of the misra, a word is missing and
(2) in the second part, 'poojne jaaye' should be 'poojan jaaye'.

On an earlier occasion, Naseer saahib has suggested:

dunyaa baRii baavarii hai patthar puujne jaae

You'll see, he did introduce the word 'hai' here --- in agreement with
my first comment --- however, its placement is not right; it better be

dunyaa baRii hai baavarii, patthar poojan jaaye

Now please read the line aloud and see how rhythmic it sounds and
feels. :)

Raj Kumar

Naseer

Nov 18, 2007, 12:26:01 PM11/18/07
janaab-i-Saqib Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

> I tried to look up baavri in urdu lughat but couldn't find it. seems

> like it is a not a urdu word.

Urdu/Hindi meN kuchh alfaaz haiN jinheN donoN laam awr re se likhaa
jaa saktaa hai. jaise kaalaa/kaaraa. Without going into linguistically
"accurate" details, one may consider the re words as "dialect".

> Another Favor:
> Can you please proof-read the urdu script of the sher at:http://security-basics.blogspot.com/2007/11/blog-post.html
> I am new to urdu, so I dont want to make any mistakes in spellings
> etc....;

I shall send you an Urdu -gif document for this dohaa. I hope your e-
mail address is as shown in your profile.

janaab-i-Raj Kumar Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

Would the following be metrically accurate.

dunyaa baRii hai baavarii, patthar poojan jaae
ghar kii chakkii koii nah puuje jis kaa piisaa khaae

..or does koii need to be written "koe" i.e with a hamzah over baRii
ye?

KHair-andesh,
Naseer

Saqib Ali

Nov 18, 2007, 1:31:47 PM11/18/07
> dunyaa baRii hai baavarii, patthar poojan jaaye
> Now please read the line aloud and see how rhythmic it sounds and
> feels. :)

Raj Sahib,

You are correct. The flow is much better now. I have updated the urdu-
script to reflect your suggestions:
http://security-basics.blogspot.com/2007/11/blog-post.html

Buhat Buhat Shukriya
Saqib

Saqib Ali

Nov 18, 2007, 1:42:08 PM11/18/07
> ..or does koii need to be written "koe" i.e with a hamzah over baRii ye?

Naseer Sahib,

When I first heard the sher it was pronounced with "koe" i.e with a
hamzah over baRii ye. But then I didn't know how to write that in
urdu. With your kind suggestion I have updated the urdu script to use
baRii ye.

Shukriya
Saqib

Raj Kumar

Nov 18, 2007, 3:30:30 PM11/18/07
On Nov 18, 10:31 am, Saqib Ali <docbook....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > dunyaa baRii hai baavarii, patthar poojan jaaye
> > Now please read the line aloud and see how rhythmic it sounds and
> > feels. :)
>
> Raj Sahib,
>
> You are correct. The flow is much better now.

shukriya, azeez-e-man!

> I have updated the urdu-
> script to reflect your suggestions:http://security-basics.blogspot.com/2007/11/blog-post.html

Of course, the update 'sounds' much better now ---- however, I wonder
if your font-system is capable of crowning 'baRi ye' with a 'hamza'
--- if it can, it has to be done at three places (jaaye, koye and
khaaye)!!!

R.K.

Raj Kumar

Nov 18, 2007, 3:40:26 PM11/18/07
On Nov 18, 9:26 am, Naseer <qures...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> janaab-i-Raj Kumar Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.
>
> Would the following be metrically accurate.
>
> dunyaa baRii hai baavarii, patthar poojan jaae
> ghar kii chakkii koii nah puuje jis kaa piisaa khaae
>
> ..or does koii need to be written "koe" i.e with a hamzah over baRii
> ye?

Yes, in my opinion, this word has to be "koe" (21) ---- though, in my
reply to Saaqib saahib, I wrote it as "koye", which some people might
mis-understand as (22). Believe me, I never intended that!

R.K.

Naseer

Nov 18, 2007, 3:48:14 PM11/18/07
muHtaram Raj Kumar Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai

> Yes, in my opinion, this word has to be "koe" (21) ---- though, in my
> reply to Saaqib saahib, I wrote it as "koye", which some people might
> mis-understand as (22). Believe me, I never intended that!

You know that I know nothing about this 21, 22 business. I was not
questioning your transliteration "koye" which I did read as it stands
(but I just happen to write it as koe). I just wanted to be sure that
it was n't "koii" (hamzah+zer+chhoTii ye) since I was hoping to send
Saqib Sahib the dohaa in Urdu script.

Thank you for getting back to me.

KHair-Khvaah,
Naseer

Saqib Ali

Nov 22, 2007, 9:08:32 PM11/22/07
Sachin Sahib aur Naseer Sahib,

I posted the same question earlier on the shayri.com and somebody
suggested this Doha is actually by Ibrahim Ashk, and not by Kabir.
See:
http://www.shayri.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58441

Now I am confused. :-(

Saqib Ali

Naseer

Nov 23, 2007, 6:10:55 PM11/23/07

janaab-i-Saqib Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

dekhiye Sahib, yaqiinii taur par to maiN yih nahiiN kah saktaa kih yih
dohaa Sant Kabir hii kaa hai.

yih bhii ho saktaa hai kih janaab-i-Ibrahim Ashk Sahib ne apne kalaam
meN is dohe ko "quote" kiyaa ho(?).

KHiar-KHvaah,
Naseer

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

UVR

Nov 23, 2007, 8:33:06 PM11/23/07

(1) mujhe naheeN lagtaa Ibrahim Ashk saahib ne apne kalaam
meN is dohe ko "quote" kiyaa hogaa. jis Ghazal ke beechoN-
beech is dohe ke gaaye jaane kaa zikr kiyaa gayaa hai, us
Ghazal ki na behr dohe ke meter se milti hai, na us ki zameeN.
Ibrahim Ashk bhale hi koi "Meer" naheeN, lekin itne gaye guzre
shaa'ir bhi naheeN k is qism ki harkat par utar aayeN.

(2) mujhe lagtaa hai k Ms. Mitalee ne yeh doha Khud hi quote
kar diyaa hogaa. yeh gaane bajaane waale ba'az awqaat
aisaa kar jaate haiN. kabhi doha, to kabhi (kisi aur Ghazal
kaa) sh'er, yaa kuchh aur. kaaran koi unheeN se poochhe.
haaN magar maiN ne dekhaa zaroor hai k aisaa karne par
unheN "taaliyoN kii gaRgaRaahaT" se sarfaraaz kiyaa jaataa
hai.

-UVR.