any more UTF-8 websites out there?

Jeff

Aug 27, 2002, 2:36:19 AM8/27/02
I have found a few websites that use UTF-8 encoding, namely:

BBC Hindi:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/
(you can also type in www.bbchindi.com)

and Google's World/Hindi directory:
http://directory.google.com/Top/World/Hindi/
which gives descriptions of the sites in Hindi using Devanagari. As
far as I have found, most of the sites list use fonts instead of UTF-8
(except BBC's Hindi news).

Does anybody know of any good websites (news, literature, or anything
else really) using UTF-8 encoding?

-Jeff

Umar

Aug 27, 2002, 12:20:28 PM8/27/02
los...@yahoo.com (Jeff) wrote in message news:<26dae7d8.02082...@posting.google.com>...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu also uses UTF-8 encoding.

http://azadkhayal.tripod.com/baba.htm is my collection of Sufi poetry
in Punjabi that uses UTF-8 encoding.

Alok Kumar

Aug 28, 2002, 7:58:00 AM8/28/02
> Does anybody know of any good websites (news, literature, or anything
> else really) using UTF-8 encoding?

http://www.india-n-indian.com

sunnybad

Sep 6, 2002, 8:05:41 PM9/6/02

Hi Jeff,

I've created some a couple of homepages in Devanagari just for fun.
Check them out..

BTW, using UTF-8 for Indic languages is a recent phenomenon that is
gaining popularity gradually. I'm sure you'll see more and more
websites that will use it.

I'm one of the translators for the Marathi edition of Google:
http://tinyurl.com/1c0b

http://tinyurl.com/1c0c

http://tinyurl.com/1c0d

Also, if you do searches for Devanagari words in Devnagari (using
UTF-8), you'll get a lot of UTF-8 sites.

Let me know what you think about my pages..

Cheers,
Sunil

--
sunnybad
sunnybad's Profile: http://www.aksharamala.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=455

Alok Kumar

Sep 9, 2002, 1:07:02 AM9/9/02
sunnybad <sunnyba...@mail.aksharamala.com> wrote in message news:<sunnyba...@mail.aksharamala.com>...

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I've created some a couple of homepages in Devanagari just for fun.
> Check them out..
>
> BTW, using UTF-8 for Indic languages is a recent phenomenon that is
> gaining popularity gradually. I'm sure you'll see more and more
> websites that will use it.
>
> I'm one of the translators for the Marathi edition of Google:
> http://tinyurl.com/1c0b
>
> http://tinyurl.com/1c0c
>
> http://tinyurl.com/1c0d

Hi Sunil,
These pages are cool! Especially the google one.
Are you an employee of google or a volunteer? I just want to know the
same thing has been done for Hindi, and if not, do they need
volunteers? [I would like to be one].
Alok

Sunil Bhadekar

Sep 9, 2002, 3:58:50 PM9/9/02
Thanks Alok.

I'm just a translation volunteer for Google's Marathi interface. It's
very easy to become one.

BTW, the URLs in the previous email got replaced by the Aksharmala
interface I was using. Here they are again.

http://members.tripod.com/~sunilbhadekar/
http://www.geocities.com/sunilbhadekar/

The Google interface: http://www.google.com/intl/mr/

I hope this encourages more and more people to develop
standard-encoded homepages and webpages.

One of the main advantages I've found is that you can search using
Devanaagri terms. For e.g., here's a search I did for गाने:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%E0%A4%97%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%A8%E0%A5%87&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=mr

- सुनील

Sunil Bhadekar

Sep 9, 2002, 4:03:58 PM9/9/02

Is there support available from anywhere for the Nastaliq style for
UTF-8 encoded Urdu webpages? I don't like the standard display style
used by Windows.

- Sunil

Vinay

Sep 10, 2002, 11:53:46 AM9/10/02
I have been a Google translation volunteer for Hindi for about a year
now. And almost all of the Hindi phrases (Roman) that you see on the
Hindi homepage (www.google.com/intl/hi/) of Google were contrinuted by
truly yours (along with many others for inside pages). After knowing
about the Unicode support, I have submitted some of the phrases again
in Devanagari, however they are yet to show up on the page. And I plan
to do so for more and more words/phrases, as time permits.

As Sunil says, the process of becoming a volunteer is easy and the
task of translating (and transcribing in Devanagari Unicode) needs
many people. Would love to see more people working on the same.

विनय