The Crashing Economy - Useful Bibliography of Recent News

NY.Trans...@blythe.org

Jan 13, 2008, 6:25:17 PM1/13/08

The Crashing Economy - Useful Bibliography of Recent News

Via NY Transfer News Collective * All the News that Doesn't Fit

[We've put out a lot of these articles, but have had to be selective.
This is quite useful list of links for those who want more. -NYTr]

sent by Riaz K Tayob - Jan 13, 2008

For any who may have missed some of these items, or just turned back
to TV infotainment, here are some of the top stories of the last month
or so..

- ------------------------------------------------

The U.S. Recession Has Arrived

Housing Crash - Realtors Quit
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/csm/brand/SIG=114211ceu/**http%3A%2F%2Fwww.csmonitor.com%2F

Experts say we're approaching a recession. For most Americans, it's
already started. http://ga3.org/ct/lpNVpX61NYwg/

Recession -- Who Cares?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barbara-ehrenreich/recession-who-cares_b_80748.html

Bush convenes Plunge Protection Team
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?&&xml=/money/2008/01/07/ccview107.xml

George Bush ponders tax rebates as Goldmans Sachs says recession will
hit US this year
http://business.timesonline.co..uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article3162452.ece

Food riots of the 21st century
http://www.mg.co.za/articledirect.aspx?area=/insight/+insight__international/&articleId=328941

Forget oil, the new global crisis is food
http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=213343

Consuming passion
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/jan/07/health.foodanddrink

Welcome to Third World, USA
http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/290065

Global Food Crisis -- Credit Crunch Could Pale in Comparison
http://www.safehaven.com/article-9165.htm

Inflation Squeezing Struggling U.S. Economy
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1217/p01s01-usec.html

U.S. Economic Collapse Infects World
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aUs1KMhofeRg

Car dealers close as Ford, GM, Chrysler keep cutting
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=4078401&page=1

U.S. Home Foreclosures Hit Record High
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/06/AR2007120601052.html

Why the era of cheap food is over
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1231/p13s01-wogi.html

Getting ready for a no-growth future
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080104.wreckoning0104/BNStory/International/home?cid=al_gam_mostview

The high costs of doing nothing, part I Spending on adaptation and
mitigation now is an investment, spending later is a waste
http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2008/1/8/145549/7963

Eating Fossil Fuels
http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/100303_eating_oil.html

Beyond the Point of No Return It?s too late to stop climate change ? so
what do we do now? http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/12/10/165845/92

The coming recession: Not an accident
http://www.jamesclayfuller.com/2007/12/recession-not-accident.html

The Last Days of the United States Dollar
http://www.321energy.com/editorials/kunstler/kunstler112707.html

Severe food shortages, price spikes threaten world population
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2007/dec2007/food-d22.shtml

US mayors? report: Hunger and homelessness intensify in US cities
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2007/dec2007/mayo-d29.shtml

The Coming Collapse of the Modern Day Banking System
http://www.counterpunch.com/whitney12172007.html

The impending destruction of the U.S. economy

Hospital bills almost doubled during the past decade
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-hospitals1307dec13,0,2841271,full.story

Morgan Stanley issues full US recession alert
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml;jsessionid=OVEHPHGIHWD1XQFIQMGCFFWAVCBQUIV0?xml=/money/2007/12/10/bcnusa110.xml

US Home Foreclosures Hit Record High
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/06/AR2007120601052_pf.html

Global food crisis looms as climate change and fuel shortages bite
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/nov/03/food.climatechange

Report: World food prices to rise
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CHINA_WORLD_FOOD_PRICES?SITE=TXSAE&SECTION=BUSINESS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

S&P: US home prices fall by a record in October for 23rd straight month
of deceleration
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071226/NEWS0102/913246373/-1/FOSNEWS0405

Is A World Wide Famine In The Works?
http://www.countercurrents.org/riggins211207.htm

After We Lose Our Homes, Is Our Retirement Next?
http://blog.aflcio.org/2007/12/07/after-we-lose-our-homes-is-our-retirement-next/

U.S. consumer prices rise more than anticipated
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071215.RTICK15-7/TPStory/
TPBusiness/America/

Lovelock: The Point of No Return is Behind Us
http://www.heatisonline.org/contentserver/objecthandlers/index.cfm?id=5725&method=full

Why America's Currency Is the World's Problem
http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,520700,00.html

"A Generalized Meltdown of Financial Institutions"
http://counterpunch.org/whitney11242007.html

Facing a Global Threat to Farming and Food Supply
http://www.agweekly.com/articles/2007/11/27/news/ag_news/news19.txt

*

zzbu...@netscape.net

Jan 15, 2008, 3:56:59 AM1/15/08
On Jan 13, 6:25 pm, NY.Transfer.N...@blythe.org wrote:

> The Crashing Economy - Useful Bibliography of Recent News
>
> Via NY Transfer News Collective  *  All the News that Doesn't Fit
>
> [We've put out a lot of these articles, but have had to be selective.
> This is quite useful list of links for those who want more. -NYTr]
>
> sent by Riaz K Tayob - Jan 13, 2008
>
> For any who may have  missed some of these items, or just turned back
> to TV infotainment, here are some of the top stories of the last month
> or so..
>
> - ------------------------------------------------
>
> The U.S. Recession Has Arrivedhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7176255.stm
>
> Housing Crash - Realtors Quithttp://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/csm/brand/SIG=114211ceu/**http%3A%2F...

The Recession won't be as bad as predicted.
Since it largely Realtors and infomercials are a large part of the
cause of the recession. So extra low cost pharmo=mercials have
been created.

> Experts say we're approaching a recession. For most Americans, it's
> already started.http://ga3.org/ct/lpNVpX61NYwg/

The recession actually started around 2000, since that's about when
they
started all the massive outsourcing of US jobs for crap jobs.

> [...]

> The Coming Collapse of the Modern Day Banking Systemhttp://www.counterpunch.com/whitney12172007.html
>
> The impending destruction of the U.S. economyhttp://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article18787.htm
>
> Hospital bills almost doubled during the past decadehttp://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-hospitals1307dec13,0,2841...
>
> Morgan Stanley issues full US recession alerthttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml;jsessionid=OVEHPHGIHWD1XQ...
>
> US Home Foreclosures Hit Record Highhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/06/AR200...
>
> Global food crisis looms as climate change and fuel shortages bitehttp://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/nov/03/food.climatechange
>
> Report: World food prices to risehttp://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CHINA_WORLD_FOOD_PRICES?SITE=T...

> S&P: US home prices fall by a record in October for 23rd straight month

David Morgan (MAMS)

Jan 15, 2008, 12:55:57 PM1/15/08

<zzbu...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> The Recession won't be as bad as predicted.

I'm afraid that you're not using your brain on this one, Bunker. The
American economy is officially tanked. In order for there to be a true
'global economy' the US standard of living and the consumer oriented
"give me more 'things'" society must completely collapse. The ultra rich
will never see it, but the middle and lower class will be in a struggle
that US citizens have never experienced before.

There's a reason the US Dollar is now only worth some .58 cents to
the Euro, when in 2000 it was worth $1.28. There's a reason that
all consumable energy prices (natural gas, electricity, gasoline) in
the USA have more than doubled since 2000. There's a reason that
the US Dollar is being dumped all around the globe in favor of more
lucrative currencies (which means further devaluation is forthcoming).
There's a reason that the US is sitting at 8 Trillion dollars in debt. And
there is a reason that just under 40% of the US Domestic fiscal budget
has been borrowed from Communist China for the past several years.

> Since it largely Realtors and infomercials....

Real Estate is a minor part of the collapse, even though it was the first
of the ugliness to come that reared it's head. Had the Fed not stepped in
a "created" a few trillion phony, un-backed dollars to dump on the entire
globe (with the US getting most of it), the repercussions of the real estate
collapse would have destroyed international stock markets... where the
results of poor 'investing' based on failing assets invades all facets of the
global marketplace. This "fix" is nothing more than a bad band-aid that
will soon fall of and the sore will begin to fester.

> The recession actually started around 2000, since that's about when
> they started all the massive outsourcing of US jobs for crap jobs.

Again, you're being terribly short-sighted and missing the *real* picture.

US job outsourcing began in the late 80s. It's nothing new. What has
been the really *big* change, is that the US has allowed it's corporations
to move overseas without domestic financial accountability or taxation.

What this means is that "jobs" are no longer be "outsourced" as they
were in the 80s... but those companies are actually no longer US corps
at all.... they are now full-blown foreign companies who export to the USA,
operate under foreign laws, and pay foreign taxes. They are no longer a
valid part of the US economy, so "outsourcing" is not the issue at all.

America is in for some deep, deep doo-doo.... I give it 8 years before
total collapse creates so much domestic unrest and inequality, that it
turns the nation into a serious dictatorship. The police state that we
see today will be nothing in comparison to what it will take to control
the population.