did any body see jerk photog at Wash pro life march

PrePhoto

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
Having covered the past two DC marches live and direct, Id have to suggest
that whoever was on that stand was probably *with* the macrh organizers.
They didnt seem to have their media minds in order - anyone with an IFPO
card could have gotten on to the podium. Somebody probably decided to give
the guy working the fund-raising angle his own work space.... The first
year I went, every grandma with a 110 camera thought *she* should be
allowed on the photo platfom because the was the *press*chair from the
East Raddish committee. No control of access at all.

Just the Wednesday Morning Ramble
Dave

FishFotoJr

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
At certain events, a single news gathering organization will at times
request the privilage of having a stand to themselves. At the trip of the
Pope the NY Times and A.P. had there own stands. I put a lens down on the
stand to change a lens, and the Times photog kicked it off the platform, I
was pissed off!

Chances are in DC the stand was Time, NY Times, Wash Post, A.P. Reuter, or
Sygma.

Steven E. Frischling
Freelance News Photographer
NYPD Working Press #0067

Too young to be respected; Too old to not be taken seriously; INVINCIBLE!;
Fear was just a word in the dictionary; Life was a right, not a gift;
Death was only a concept; STRENGTH!--Nikon F4s ad 1992

FishFotoJr

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
The Times'r was a she, and I was very pissed because durring th Glenn
Harris Christina Rosado (the teacher who ran off and tried to marry his
student) events here in NYC a Times'r said to me, and I quote:

"When she comes out, what are you gong to do?" I said "Stand here and get
my photos" He replied, "No, You are going to step aside and let me get my
shots! I am from the Times!"

I was using an 18f3.5 to shoot against the car and an 85f1.8 to shoot her
coming out, he had an 80-200 and 300 rather than getting up. He then got
anf in in the press mess grabbed mty SB-24 and dropped it into a puddle,
it was fried!

I like the guys at the Times, they are nice and their office people are
great, but they need to learn that news reportage does not revolve around
them, in NYC I would say it revolvs around the NY Post or NY Daily News
(The picture paper)

FishFotoJr

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
Neil,

In this case most photogs had 18s, 20s and 24s because we were going to
have to shoot through the window of a car, I had the 18 and was not
diving. The Times'r had the 300f2.8, which was nuts, even the guys who
were taking high positions used 80-200s and were damn tight.

This guy has a rod up his bum. I know others who have head "problems"
with him, he just hates young guys, he thinks we are rude, when in fact
many of us know each other and help each other out and it is some of the
older guys just try and shove us out.

Neil Barker

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
In article: <4e8d26$c...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> fishf...@aol.com
(FishFotoJr) writes:

> "When she comes out, what are you gong to do?" I said "Stand here and
> get my photos" He replied, "No, You are going to step aside and let
> me get my shots! I am from the Times!"

Oh yes indeedy....

There was a great story a short while back similar to this, in my area.

Several photographers were waiting outside court for someone to emerge.
All but one were using 'sensible' lenses, but there's always the one who
thinks he's it and puts on an ultrawide.

Said person emerges from court - photographers start clicking away. This
certain prat dives forward, pushing his 18mm right in the subjects face
and blocks everyone elses shot.

One *very large* snapper kicked him up the arse so hard he was lifted
off the ground.....

--
Neil Barker : ne...@nbarker.demon.co.uk
Birmingham, England.

Keith Walter

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
On 24 Jan 1996 07:35:33 -0500, fishf...@aol.com (FishFotoJr) wrote:->
>I put a lens down on the
> stand to change a lens, and the Times photog kicked it off the
platform, I
> was pissed off!

I'd have been more than pissed off, If he'd kicked one of my lenses off,
he would have rapidly followed it.

--
Keith Walter
came...@dial.pipex.com

FishFotoJr

Jan 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/26/96
Most Metro Police Units with photo units use the still and video set up
together and a matter of policy they always wear a jacket that says
"POLICE" on the back. I know the cops here in NYC have jackest that say
NYPD, Boston PD say "BPD POLICE", esspecially in DC where there are so
many police departments they always wear jackets that ID themselves.

Stephen M. Schelb

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
In article <899470...@nbarker.demon.co.uk> Neil Barker <Ne...@nbarker.demon.co.uk> writes:
>From: Neil Barker <Ne...@nbarker.demon.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: did any body see jerk photog at Wash pro life march
>Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 19:45:28 +0000

>Oh yes indeedy....

Here in the midwest, we kindly refer to these shooters as WASHs
(wide-angle-shit-heads).

Tim Biller

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
<ROFL>

I _wonder_ who that was Neil <vbg>

timbo!

Tim Biller
Moving Stills UK
+44(0)973 380518

Neil Barker

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
In article: <DLw94...@cix.compulink.co.uk>
tbi...@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Tim Biller") writes:

> <ROFL>
>
> I _wonder_ who that was Neil <vbg>

You know Dan Chung then.....

Tim Biller

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
ROFL!!! Oh yes. Inspector Gadget.

I remember visiting Stradbroke when he was on his pre-entry course.
After 2 weeks everyone hated him - his Canon's and his mobile (a Sony
Mars Bar) What a wally.

Newsteams big hope, so I gather. Gets lots of broadsheet bylines. I
make a pint of standing right in front of him at every
opportunity<snigger>

He'll learn. The hard way.

FishFotoJr

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
Hey Timbo,

Come on, I don't write in America, why do you write in British....:-)
(Joke folk, please send all flames to the United State Presidential
Candidate, Senetor Bob Dole at 1(202)414-6400).

Sal

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
>I was using an 18f3.5 to shoot against the car and an 85f1.8 to shoot her
>coming out, he had an 80-200 and 300 rather than getting up. He then got
>anf in in the press mess grabbed mty SB-24 and dropped it into a puddle,
>it was fried!

I'd say the guy deserves an ass whippin.

Neil Barker

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
In article: <DLy9...@cix.compulink.co.uk> tbi...@cix.compulink.co.uk
("Tim Biller") writes:

Annotated for Fish.....

:-)

> ROFL!!! Oh yes.

Rolling On Floor Laughing.

> Inspector Gadget.

Kids cartoon character - a tool for everything !

> I remember visiting Stradbroke when he was on his pre-entry course.

Photojournalism training college in the UK. Pre-entry is a one-year
course before starting work on a newspaper.

> After 2 weeks everyone hated him - his Canon's and his mobile (a Sony
> Mars Bar) What a wally.

Sony mobile phone, the same size as a Mars chocolate bar - reputedly
fits inside a Mars Bar wrapper !

> Newsteams big hope, so I gather. Gets lots of broadsheet bylines.

Photo agency in Birmingham.

> I make a pint of standing right in front of him at every
> opportunity<snigger>

Quite right, too !

> He'll learn. The hard way.

Yup, by steel toe-caps, I suspect :-)

I think I'll start a 'Dan Chung' thread tomorrow.....there's some truly
hilarious stories about our Dan.....

:-)

Tim Biller

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
Thanks for the educational content there Neil<g>

More Dan Chung stories please!!!

FishFotoJr

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
Sal,