Back aches

Standard-speaker

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
Get a fanny pack. They work, next to no pain. I was going through the same
pain as you last year at this time, got a fanny pack, and -no more pain-
It's not worth wrecking your back to carry a domke.

Andy Scott
Staff Photographer
Standard-Speaker
Hazleton, PA

>Newsgroups: alt.journalism.photo
>Subject: Re: Back aches
>Date: 16 Jan 1996 08:36:36 GMT
>
>JESUS I'M IN PAIN! Im 22 and already the back pains of a PJ have
>introduced themselves. im sitting here without the ability to really
>move. i have carried my bags all day, i don't know how muc it weighs but
>it's about 15-20 pounds. funny that my lower back on the right hurts
>most cuz i carry my bag on the right. go to a massage person.
>
>last time i had it was bliss. it's worth it. she told me all my muscles
>were in spasm. people change their car oil every 3000. i say get a
>massage every other week.
>
>good luck
>

>In article <4dcaum$3...@news-f.iadfw.net>, Sal <phot...@airmail.net> wrote:
>>Ted Ostrowski <tostr...@frontier.canrem.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I've just been laid up in bed for a little more than a week.I have suffered
>>>yet another case of extreme back pain that ran all the way down to my feet,an
>>>movement no matter how slight produced a series of sharp pains. This injury
>>>had nothing to do with PJ(what actually happened is that I was snow shoeing
>>>down a steep incline and one foot slid the other dug in and I went for a nast
>>>tumble)but I have noticed some disscussion about camera bags vs vests and som
>>>of you mentioned back troubles. So my question is this, Do you believe that
>>>PJ's have more back trouble than lets say Portrait Photographers and if so
>>>why? is the weight of the gear or the odd positions we put ourselves into for
>
>>>that shot? any ideas.
>>>Thanks Ted
>>
>>Photographers in general have back problems. Comes from years of
>>lugging all that stuff. PJ's worse than most. Comes from years of
>>lugging stuff on their shoulders.
>>
>>I use a cart whenever I can (even with two full Domke bags), and
>>always carry TWO bags of even weight. If you have to carry it, try to
>>
>>make it even on both sides.
>>
>>I have had back probs ever since I started lugging stuff, but breaking
>>my back (triple compression fracture) after falling off a ledge during
>>a group photo ( I was shooting them), has left me always aware of the
>>back, and particularly sensitive to the correct way to pick stuff up.
>>
>>Hope this helps.....
>>
>>Sal/Dallas
>>

>--
>o-------------------------------o-------------------------------------------o
>|James Keivom - Photojournalist | To see my portfolio, set your browser to: |
>|Boulder, Colorado | http://rtt.colorado.edu/~keivom/Home.html |
>o-------------------------------o-------------------------------------------o

FULL INTERNET ACCESS MicroServe Information Systems ALL USENET GROUPS
25+ Gigs of files 800.380.INET voice T1,56,PPP,UUCP,WWW,...
Unlimited Time www.microserve.net $100 yearly
(Pa) Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, Stroudsburg, Hazleton
"THE NORTHEAST EXTENSION ON THE INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY"
------------------your unlimited Internet access provider----------------------

Tim Biller

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
> Do you believe that
> PJ's have more back trouble than lets say Portrait Photographers and if
> so why? is the weight of the gear or the odd positions we put ourselves
> into for that shot? any ideas.
> Thanks Ted
Certainly they do, if my experience and that of many other PJ's in here
is valid.

1) Portrait photographers have studios, PJ's don't
2) In studios PP's have tripods/camera stands upon which they put
Hasselblads/Mamiyas etc, PJ's carry all their kit either in bags,
backpacks, vests or all three.
3)PJ's have to lug (as in (2) vast amounts of heavy kit as well as their
personal gear long distances, or for long periods of time. A PP has to
lug his/hers from the studio - car - location - car - studio.
4)PP's have assistants. PJ''s don't
5)PP's get paid more, so can afford better medical treatment.
6)Very few PP's get shot at, threatened, jostled, spat at, treated like
shit and forced to wait long periods for derisory payments.

I'll stop now, as I could go on for hours. But that would pointless,
much, with the greatest respect, like the question. Hope your back is
better soon.

timbo!

Tim Biller
Moving Stills UK
+44(0)973 380518

Ted Ostrowski

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
Tim thank you for such an insightfull point of view,it's clear from your
posting that you enjoy your work and that you you took time to reply to my
pointless question when you were in a good spirits, and Tim my back is sore
because sir, it only hurts when I laugh.
Cheers
Ted

FishFotoJr

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
Tim,

I think you hit the nail right on the head!

Overworked, underpaid, frustrated in love with my job PJ at large.....

Steven E. Frischling
Freelance News Photographer
NYPD Working Press #0067

Too young to be respected; Too old to not be taken seriously; INVINCIBLE!;
Fear was just a word in the dictionary; Life was a right, not a gift;
Death was only a concept; STRENGTH!--Nikon F4s ad 1992

Neil Barker

Jan 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/22/96
In article: <4dvctp$q...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> fishf...@aol.com
(FishFotoJr) writes:

> I spent today waist deep in a freezing Dleware River on the New
> Jersey/Penn. boarder shooting flooded homes.

So when do we see the centre-spread in Playgirl then Steven ? :-))
(I'd just like to state the NO, I do not buy Playgirl and would have to
send a 'friend' out to buy it.....)

> I love this! back ache, foot pain and all

Well, this last Saturday I was at a football match (soccer to our
colonial friends) and the expression that came to mind was :-

"It's Spanner Cold" - Tightens the nuts....

--
Neil Barker : ne...@nbarker.demon.co.uk
Birmingham, England.

FishFotoJr

Jan 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/22/96
I was wearing Morning Pride Bunker Gear (fire clothing) and Fire Walker
Boots. They were great until I found a little drop off and went in over
my waist, after that my pants filled with water, my partenr took a photo
of me standing inthe road in my skivies holding my bunker pants and boots
upside down with all the water rushing out. I could not feel my feet for
close to an hour(I had dry clothes in the car). A family that's house was
flooded took pity on me and brought me and and sat me by the fire and gave
me a pair of sweat pants to wear. It is a good way to get up close photos
of people affected by the flood, being in their homes like that.

Yes the flooding was caused by the sudden melting of the snow. If it
thaws out again in the next week, we expect the same kind of damage,
inwhich case I will be there during the floods, not the day after.

I seem to like covering distaster because it puts alot of things in
perspective.

Stay Dry and Above Water Y'all

FishFotoJr

Jan 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/22/96
One woman police officer of the NYPD posed and was canned from tghe NYPD
because she stupidly wore her badge and part of her uniform in the spread,
she was also on "notice" One guy police officer of the NYPD posed for
Playgirl, he go no action because he wore nothing that showed him as a
police officer and he donated all the monet from the shoot to a homeless
children charity.

I spent today waist deep in a freezing Dleware River on the New

Jersey/Penn. boarder shooting flooded homes. I could not feel my feet
for an hour or so, then they hurt severly and now they are just raw, but I
got good pictures, at least I think.

I love this! back ache, foot pain and all