You Know You're From North Carolina When...

Timantide

Mar 2, 2004, 1:34:11 PM3/2/04

Things I've learned from being born and reared in the tar heel state.

Opossums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air.

There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in North Carolina.

There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in North Carolina, plus a
couple no one's seen before.

Unknown critters love to dig holes under tomato plants.

If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls; it bites.

A tractor is NOT an all-terrain vehicle. They do get stuck.

Onced and Twiced are words.

It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy.

People actually grow and eat okra.

Fixinto is one word.

There is no such thing as "lunch". There's only dinner and then there's supper.

Sweet Tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're 2.

Backwards and forwards means I know everything about you.

More about North Carolinians...

1. You measure distance in minutes.

2. You've had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.

3. You know what a 'tar heel' is.

4. You see a car running in the parking lot at the store with no one in it, no
matter what time of the year.

5. You use "fix" as a verb. Example: I am fixing to go to the store.

6. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable,
grain, insect or animal.

7. You carry jumper cables in your car... for your OWN car.

8. You know what "cow tipping" is.

9. You only own four spices: salt, pepper, Texas Pete and catchup.

10.The local papers cover national and international news on one page but
requires 6 pages for local gossip and sports.

11. You think that the first day deer season is a national holiday.

12. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit "a little warm"

13.You know all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, still summer, and
Christmas.

14. You know whether another North Carolinian is from east, west, or middle
North Carolina as soon as they open their mouth or by the barbecue they eat.

15. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as "going wal-martin" or
off to"Wally World"

16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola, or pop...it's a Coke,
regardless of brand or flavor, Example: "What kinda coke you want?"

17. Fried Catfish is the other white meat.

18. You understand these jokes and forward them to your friends from NC and
those who just wish they were.

David Vestal

Mar 3, 2004, 9:30:24 AM3/3/04
tima...@aol.com (Timantide) wrote in

> Things I've learned from being born and reared in the tar heel state.

Speaking as a North Carolinian, your "learning" is a bit impaired.

> It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy.

Not in my experience.

> Fixinto is one word.

Not in my experience.

> There is no such thing as "lunch". There's only dinner and then
> there's supper.

That's as it should be. "Dinner" doesn't denote a specific mealtime, it
denotes the main meal of the day. In the largely agrarian past of the
South, lunch was the main meal of the day, so "dinner" and "lunch" are
still used somewhat interchangeably. In the more industrial north, where
factory work was more common, it was typical to eat a light lunch, then a
heavy supper after coming home. Thus, northerners tend to use "supper"
and "dinner" interchangeably. Neither is necessarily incorrect.

> Sweet Tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when
> you're 2.

It's good stuff.

> 1. You measure distance in minutes.

Eminently sensible. After all, when I ask you how far it is to get to
your house, what I'm actually asking is "how large an investment of time
will it take to get there." It makes sense to answer in the more useful
metric of time, especially since ten miles over winding back roads isn't
necessarily the same as ten miles over highway.

> 3. You know what a 'tar heel' is.

I imagine most Americans learn those sorts of state peculiarities in
fourth grade or so. "Buckeyes," "tarheels," "sooners," and so forth.

> 5. You use "fix" as a verb. Example: I am fixing to go to the store.

Are you aware that "fix" is primarily used as a verb? Perhaps God should
have fixed your brain.

> 7. You carry jumper cables in your car... for your OWN car.

Which is quite sensible. If your battery dies, and the good samaritan
who stops has none, what will you do? Thank him for his consideration,
and send him on his way? Conversely, if you stop to help someone with a
dead battery who has no cables, what will you do? Say, "tough luck,
pal," and continue on your way?

> 8. You know what "cow tipping" is.

I'm told that a few non-North Carolinians also know.

> 13.You know all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, still summer, and
> Christmas.

North Carolina has quite a pleasant climate. We just had about 8 inches
of snow last weekend. Summer temperatures typically reach peaks in the
mid-90s, and winter temperatures typically reach lows in the teens. That
also varies depending on whether you're at the coast, in the piedmont, or
in the mountains (geological variation is another quite-nice feature of
NC).