What would you recommend as a decent Wireless Router?

def...@lycos.co.uk

Oct 15, 2005, 7:37:13 PM10/15/05
Hi all,

I am planning to have broadband internet installed this friday but have
not yet decided on which Wireless Router to use as there are so many
options, brands and specifications involved.

Therefore can i ask what would you recommend as a decent long-range
wireless Router, capable of serving three PC's spread throughout a four
bedroomed home?

The only one of interest so far is the Linksys WRT54GS (which i have
seen favourable reviews of):

http://tinyurl.com/9kcps

Many thanks for your help everyone!

def

David Taylor

Oct 16, 2005, 4:16:09 AM10/16/05
> The only one of interest so far is the Linksys WRT54GS (which i have
> seen favourable reviews of):

That'll work fine.

With regard to the desire for long range, they're all pretty much of a
muchness, a lot also depends on the client.

You'll find that by playing about with the location of the router, you
shouldn't have too many problems though.

David.

DKCC

Oct 16, 2005, 7:53:57 AM10/16/05
> The only one of interest so far is the Linksys WRT54GS (which i have
> seen favourable reviews of):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9kcps

I would recommend the Netgear DG834G. Easy to setup and v. reliable.

John Navas

Oct 16, 2005, 12:55:40 PM10/16/05
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <1129419433....@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> on 15 Oct 2005

16:37:13 -0700, def...@lycos.co.uk wrote:

>I am planning to have broadband internet installed this friday but have
>not yet decided on which Wireless Router to use as there are so many
>options, brands and specifications involved.
>
>Therefore can i ask what would you recommend as a decent long-range
>wireless Router, capable of serving three PC's spread throughout a four
>bedroomed home?

For longest range, get MIMO; e.g., Belkin Pre-N
Best range for a standard "value" router: D-Link DI-624

David Taylor

Oct 16, 2005, 1:00:12 PM10/16/05
> Best range for a standard "value" router: D-Link DI-624

Have you got the specs for that? I've never found any difference
between that and the Linksys except that the Linksys has alternate
firmware with a greater power output.

David.

John Navas

Oct 16, 2005, 1:11:09 PM10/16/05
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <MPG.1dbc9821a...@news.cable.ntlworld.com> on Sun, 16 Oct 2005

No precise specs, just reviews and my own experience.

www

Oct 16, 2005, 7:08:40 PM10/16/05
> >Have you got the specs for that? I've never found any difference
> >between that and the Linksys except that the Linksys has alternate
> >firmware with a greater power output.

Here's a review of the D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router + Compatible D-Link
108G NIC:
http://net-reviews.com/reviews/d-linkwireless624.htm

Hope it helps!

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor
Net-Reviews.com
http://www.net-reviews.com
Latest Reviews:
- SanDisk Digital Audio Player
- GMC Miter Saws
- Samsung DVD-R121 DVD Recorder

heldmar

Oct 17, 2005, 6:57:31 AM10/17/05
I hope this it's not a late answer to your message, I would recommend
WRT54G for my own experience, it's a wonderful router/AP that gives you
the opportunity to install new firmwares which gives you extra power
for your signal strenght.

I live in a house with concrete walls, very thick indeed, the worst
enemy for wifi signal, and I can tell you that this little bastard
(WRT54G) gives me the chance to take the signal upstairs (kind of weak
but reliable) going throught appoximately 4 thick walls and I haven't
touched antennas yet, if I do that I could get more signal upstairs
maybe.

The difference between WRT54G and WRT54GS is a 'protocol' which will
guive you more speed in your internal transmission (home's internal
LAN) WETHER you have a Linksys compatible GS antenna. BUT, WRT54GS
version is a little bit more difficult to manipulate with 3rd party
firmwares than WRT54G, not only because some firmwares don't work on
WRT54G, but Linksys' firmwares aren't the same and a 'bricked'
router/AP is harder to recuperate on a 54GS than a 54G (I've had some
experience on both).

Conclussion: I recommend gettin' into WRT54G instead of WRT54GS or
any other.

Markeau

Oct 18, 2005, 10:51:18 AM10/18/05

<def...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> I am planning to have broadband internet installed this friday but
> have
> not yet decided on which Wireless Router to use as there are so many
> options, brands and specifications involved.

I've had zero problems with a Linksys WRT54GX