how to combine 2 internet connection together so internet can share better

Shotta_tav

Feb 11, 2008, 1:47:44 AM2/11/08

I have a wireless network and when alot of people is connected to the
network the pages open slow..i was wondering if i could connect 2
internet lines together to take the load off each other.im not talking
to increase the connection speed but to help each other out..

Help would be great..

View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=38510
http://www.wirelessforums.org

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 11, 2008, 2:33:31 AM2/11/08
Shotta_tav <Shotta_t...@no-mx.wirelessforums.org> hath wroth:

>I have a wireless network and when alot of people is connected to the
>network the pages open slow..i was wondering if i could connect 2
>internet lines together to take the load off each other.im not talking
>to increase the connection speed but to help each other out..

Yes, with some limitations. What you're looking for is a "load
balancing router". For example:
<http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=49&pl1_id=3&pl2_id=20>
<http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=226&pl1_id=3&pl2_id=20>
Methinks the Edimax BR-6641 (2nd URL above) is the more appropriate
device. It will take up to 4 WAN connections and conglomerate them
into a single LAN connection. They can be a mix of cable, satellite,
DSL, ISDN, whatever, or all the same type. The traffic load will be
roughly equally distributed among these 4 WAN connections.

That's the good part. Now, the limitations. It will NOT combine 4
different IP's into a single stream. Therefore, if you have 4
different DSL lines at 1.5Mbits/sec each, you will NOT get 6Mbits/sec
download speed from a single download. You'll get 1.5Mbits/sec and no
more. The same applies to uploads to a single IP address. However,
you can do 4 independent downloads, from 4 different servers, and get
an aggregate speed of 4 times the 1.5Mbits/sec speed of a single
connection.

Where such routers work best is situations where you have multiple
users doing different things and needed more aggregate bandwidth. That
sounds like your situation.

However, it's possible that you don't need a load balancing router.
Have you looked into QoS (quality of service)? It might be that one
of your multiple users is doing something that is screwing up the
performance for the others. For example, if your broadband connection
is asymmetrical (most are), a user hogging all your outgoing bandwidth
(as in peer-to-peer file sharing) will saturate your outgoing
bandwidth. With the ACK's on downloads being lost by this outgoing
saturation, incoming download performance is severely compromised.
Look into QoS or "Bandwidth Management".

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 11, 2008, 2:37:06 AM2/11/08
Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> hath wroth:

>Yes, with some limitations. What you're looking for is a "load
>balancing router". For example:
><http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=49&pl1_id=3&pl2_id=20>
><http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=226&pl1_id=3&pl2_id=20>

There are also a bunch of more elaborate load balancing routers at the
bottom of the page at:
<http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_list.php?pl1_id=3&pl2_id=>

Adair Winter

Feb 11, 2008, 8:23:36 AM2/11/08
"Shotta_tav" <Shotta_t...@no-mx.wirelessforums.org> wrote in message

> I have a wireless network and when alot of people is connected to the
> network the pages open slow..i was wondering if i could connect 2
> internet lines together to take the load off each other.im not talking
> to increase the connection speed but to help each other out..
>
> Help would be great..

Another solution is to use a much cheaper WRT54GL and load DD-WRT
(www.dd-wrt.com) on it following these instructions.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual-WAN_for_simple_round-robin_load_equalization
There are also many more expensise solutions.

Adair