Encyclopedia on Internet (Question)

Pradeep Jain

Aug 6, 1992, 2:22:45 PM8/6/92
Hi Everyone:

Does anyone know of any encyclopedia of the world on internet. I am
aware that there are some commercial networks which offer encyclopediac
services. But it is not hard to imagine internet offering Encyclopedia
Britannica to the users. Of course, it may not have pictures (considering
lot of people like me who use VT100 :-), but only text may be very useful.
Or in the worst case, is there a encyclopedia of "smaller" worlds, like
science, sports and so on.

Thanks.

Pradeep
--

Pradeep Jain 157 Advanced Technology Lab
Home: (313) 996-8479 The University of Michigan

Robert Smart

Aug 7, 1992, 3:04:34 AM8/7/92
In article <44Y...@engin.umich.edu> pra...@engin.umich.edu (Pradeep Jain) writes:
>Hi Everyone:
>
>Does anyone know of any encyclopedia of the world on internet.

A lot of work goes into an encyclopedia, and the makers wouldn't last
long if they allowed free access. However I think that EBs from the
early part of the century, certainly from before WWI, are out of
copyright. While not 100% accurate or complete :-), those versions
of EB were well written by good people. It would certainly be fun
to have them on-line. If only there were scanners with which you could
just put a book in and it would turn the pages, not make any mistakes,
and extract the pictures as well. Actually it isn't that hard to pick
up the mistakes with a spelling checker if there aren't too many.

Bob Smart