Grupy dyskusyjne Google nie obsługują już nowych postów ani subskrypcji z Usenetu. Treści historyczne nadal będą dostępne.

Seattle ISP AVVANTA down?

19 wyświetleń

K7AAY

nieprzeczytany,
15 gru 2006, 20:08:3215.12.2006
do
Ever since yesterday's storm, my AVVANTA account's been useless.

Their phones are "all circuits busy" and their web site is down.

Anyone know when they plan to be back in service, or why?

Whois info for, avvanta.com:
Registrant:
Blarg! Online Services, Inc.
PO Box 1827
Bellevue, WA 98009-1827
US

Domain name: AVVANTA.COM

Administrative Contact:
Hostmaster, Blarg hostm...@blarg.net
PO Box 1827
Bellevue, WA 98009-1827
US
+1.4258186500
Technical Contact:
Hostmaster, Blarg hostm...@blarg.net
PO Box 1827
Bellevue, WA 98009-1827
US
+1.4258186500

gef...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
15 gru 2006, 20:30:4715.12.2006
do
Same issue here. I spent over an hour on the phone with Qwest & they
were clueless. 1 rep said there is no trouble ticket, a second said
there was but had no eta. Focal Communications provides blarg's
currently down phone service. I plan to call them, I needed my friend's
connection to get their #. I hope they're back soon, I use them for my
business. It appears that Bellevue got hit hard.

Penn...@derrymaine.gov

nieprzeczytany,
15 gru 2006, 22:10:3915.12.2006
do
"K7AAY" <john.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ever since yesterday's storm, my AVVANTA account's been useless.
>
>Their phones are "all circuits busy" and their web site is down.

Power is still down in a lot of places. Nasty little wind storm last
night.

>Anyone know when they plan to be back in service, or why?

As soon as they can, as to why, it's how they make money.

--
http://www.zaguates.com/games/gridlock.html

gef...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
15 gru 2006, 23:55:3815.12.2006
do
One bit of good news, I sent my domain a test email earlier from Yahoo
& it didn't bounce, so it would appear that Blarg/Awanta is somehow
cacheing emails. I just wish there was a way to get an eta on their up
time.

gef...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
16 gru 2006, 02:51:5316.12.2006
do
In case any other Awanta/Blarg customers read this, I was able to speak
with Focal tonight.
They are fully aware of the issue as is Blarg. While I didn't
understand the technical terms they used, this is apparantly a very
major outage caused by the storm, & both Blarg & Focal are waiting for
Qwest to complete repairs. Qwest has not given them an eta. The Focal
rep's GUESS (at my request) was for them to be back up on Sunday. He
emphasised that is an unoffical guess & that they are dependent on
Qwest.
Wiadomość została usunięta

K7AAY

nieprzeczytany,
16 gru 2006, 12:39:1016.12.2006
do
That they don't have a backup out of area, even so little as to
redirect their phone number to another provider with a recorded
message, and don't redirect their domain and put up a web page giving
status, tells me they don't care enough what their customers think.

This is the Internet after all, designed to allow redundancy and backup
sites out of area. How much would it have cost them to have a
reciprocal agreement with an out-of-area ISP?

K7AAY

nieprzeczytany,
16 gru 2006, 16:22:2216.12.2006
do
Here's list list of non-MSN alternatives to Avvanta:

101 Computer Center
Ados
Aracnet-SpiritOne
ATL Communications
Avvanta - down since Thursday; no explanation, backup dial-in fails,
phones off the hook.
Bendtel
BHI Advanced Internet
Blue Mountain Internet
Capitol Quik Internet
CNNW Cyberpnet NW
Coho.net
Coinet
Columbia Learning Center
Computer Services
Cyberconnectics
Datajockeys LLC
DSL Blast
DSL Northwest
DSL Only
E-Z Net
Earth-Web.net
Eastern Oregon Net
Easystreet Online Services
Europa
Freedome Northwest
Granite Telecom
HEI Communications
Hevanet Comunication
IFish.net
Infinity Internet
Internet Partners
IPS Internet Pro
Isomedia
Limo.Net
Macforce
Mammoth Networks
Netifice Comm
New Edge Networks
North Coast Phone Ctr
Nwlink
NWNetcom
Northwest Nexus
NW Nexus Pacnet
Oasis High Speed
OB|S Oregon Best Internet
OIP/Earthlink
Oregon Trail Internet
Oregon-Net.com
Outlaw Internet
Pacifier Online
PC Made EZ
Pocketinet
Preferred Connections
Preferrered Long Distance
Premier Connections
Prinetime
Proaxis
Quik Internet - a franchised operation. Found my local office short on
knowledge and capability, would not use them.
Rainier Group
Rio.com
Saw.net
Scatter Creek Infonet
Skagit
Solid Technology, Inc.
Spire Technology, Inc.
Spirit One Internet
Spirit One
Sterling Communication
SW Washington Medical
TST Onramp
Unicom
Union America
Unions America
USFAMILY Net
Virtually Cheap
Vision Net
Visionary Comm http://www.vcn.com only CO MT SD WY
WyaNet http://wyanet.com
Whiz to Coho.net www.coho.net
Willamette Valley Internet
Win4co
World Access Network
Worldport Online
Yournetplus

K7AAY

nieprzeczytany,
16 gru 2006, 16:25:0216.12.2006
do
FYI, Qworst advises 3 days to cut over to MSN service, which costs
$32/mo plus tax for 1.5Mbps down.

K7AAY

nieprzeczytany,
16 gru 2006, 16:28:3316.12.2006
do
Here are links to the ISPs mentioned previously who Qworst listed as
DSL providers:

http://www.50states.com/isp/oregon.htm

http://www.50states.com/isp/washington.htm

gef...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
16 gru 2006, 18:41:5016.12.2006
do
While I'm not happy with them either at the moment, I assign equal
ersponsability to Qwest.

gef...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
16 gru 2006, 18:42:0416.12.2006
do
While I'm not happy with them either at the moment, I assign equal
responsability to Qwest.

K7AAY

nieprzeczytany,
16 gru 2006, 22:56:4316.12.2006
do

gef...@gmail.com wrote:
> While I'm not happy with them either at the moment, I assign equal
> responsability to Qwest.

Qwest didn't pick a facility without redundancy. Things always
break... and most professional comm facilities have multiple links with
multiple facilities as a result. I am very surprised there's a single
point of failure for my ISP.

Big Al

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 02:39:5017.12.2006
do
Is Avvanta the only Qwest DSL ISP that has been down all of this time?
I haven't heard of anyone else complaining.

It does seem pretty damn irritating that Avvanta can't even redirect
www.avvanta.com to a working page showing the current status.

By the way, ref. geffra's comments on the email...

I sent a test message last night, from a Linux box using Postfix.
The message is still in the mailq, with the msg:
[TEMPFAIL] destination not valid within DNS (in reply to RCPT TO command))

So your message is still on your ISP's smtp server.
It will keep trying to send the message until in gives up in a day or two,
and then bounce the message.

Or maybe Avvanta will spring back to life before then, and the message
will get through.

But it has nothing to do with Avvanta caching email.

Al

kevinfre...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 12:10:1117.12.2006
do
We've been with Blarg/Avvanta for like 6 years or so and they've been
down a total of something like only 20 minutes or so. This is unheard
of and I don't blame Blarg at all considering their track record. I do
wish there was SOME kind of info posted about it or, heck, even if a
Avvanta rep go on here and post something.

Anyone with any solid info please clue us in -- I can only "borrow" my
neighbor's wifi for so long.

~ Kevin

gef...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 13:20:4417.12.2006
do
The phone # I used to contact Blarg's vendor is 1-877-ask-foca
Also see http://www.focal.com/contact/
They seem to be the only ones with ANY information. I agree on the
redirect, this is really getting irritating.

gef...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 13:27:4517.12.2006
do
Yes, my test email just bounced. grr. They're hosting my business
domain. This really bites.

K7AAY

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 13:37:2617.12.2006
do
More folks are starting to weigh in

gef...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 15:26:4617.12.2006
do
I just spoke with Focal/Broadwing. They said their system showed that
Avvanta/Blarg was supposedly back up yesterday. They confirmed with a
test that their ticket was incorrect & Blarg's circuits are still down.
They have opened a new ticket. They are going to try to contact Blarg
with some private phone numbers they have to find out what Blarg knows
about the situation & they promised to call me back with information,
which I will post here.

Bob F

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 15:49:0017.12.2006
do

"K7AAY" <john.b...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Ever since yesterday's storm, my AVVANTA account's been useless.
>
> Their phones are "all circuits busy" and their web site is down.
>
> Anyone know when they plan to be back in service, or why?

My Comcast cable and internet is finally back today after being
down since the storm.

Bob

harrydr

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 15:50:0117.12.2006
do

gef...@gmail.com wrote:
> I just spoke with Focal/Broadwing. They said their system showed that
> Avvanta/Blarg was supposedly back up yesterday. They confirmed with a
> test that their ticket was incorrect & Blarg's circuits are still down.
> They have opened a new ticket. They are going to try to contact Blarg
> with some private phone numbers they have to find out what Blarg knows
> about the situation & they promised to call me back with information,
> which I will post here.

blargs netblock was not being routed on the internet as of last nite
so until that happens, they dont exist. They are going to have to
do some explaining. There is no reason they could not have moved
the site for a few days just to have a notice up saying what is going
on.

Looking forward to more info.

harrydr

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 15:51:1117.12.2006
do

gef...@gmail.com wrote:
> I just spoke with Focal/Broadwing. They said their system showed that
> Avvanta/Blarg was supposedly back up yesterday. They confirmed with a
> test that their ticket was incorrect & Blarg's circuits are still down.
> They have opened a new ticket. They are going to try to contact Blarg
> with some private phone numbers they have to find out what Blarg knows
> about the situation & they promised to call me back with information,
> which I will post here.

blargs netblock was not being routed on the internet as of last nite

ma...@ufoseries.com

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 16:20:2117.12.2006
do
> blargs netblock was not being routed on the internet as of last nite
> so until that happens, they dont exist. They are going to have to
> do some explaining. There is no reason they could not have moved
> the site for a few days just to have a notice up saying what is going
> on.

Thanks everyone for all the updates about Avvanta... this is the
only source of information I've found about this outage...

I've also had Blarg/Avvanta for years and years (7?), and have
been happy with them so far. But it'd be nice to see them
up and running again ASAP!

(and in the meantime, I'm using a dialup connection with
NOCHARGE.COM)

Marc

kare...@nwfirst.com

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 17:21:0817.12.2006
do
This has been the best source of info I've found for the problem to
date. Thanks for posting everyone. My main frustration has been the
inability to get my email since Thursday, since I use avvanta as my
primary email address.

Art

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 17:38:5217.12.2006
do
What storm? I didn't notice any storm.

--
Art

gef...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 19:11:4017.12.2006
do
Possible beginning of good news: Avvanta is now loading with the error
message:
1 - Unable to connect to the database host
Up until now I've been getting page not found errors.

harrydr

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 19:24:4217.12.2006
do

Art wrote:
> Bob F wrote:
> > "K7AAY" <john.b...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Ever since yesterday's storm, my AVVANTA account's been useless.
> >>
> >> Their phones are "all circuits busy" and their web site is down.
> >>
> >> Anyone know when they plan to be back in service, or why?

The GOOD news is they just reappeared on the internet so hopefully
everyone will start coming back online soon.....

]# ping blarg.net
PING blarg.net (206.124.128.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from animal.blarg.net (206.124.128.1): icmp_seq=0 ttl=53
time=49.7 ms
64 bytes from animal.blarg.net (206.124.128.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=52
time=49.8 ms
64 bytes from animal.blarg.net (206.124.128.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=52
time=49.9 ms

gef...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 20:11:3417.12.2006
do
My dsl line is back! Just waiting for email & my domain now.

ma...@ufoseries.com

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 21:32:0017.12.2006
do
My Avvanta / Qwest DSL is back, Sunday at 6:30 pm...

Can't access the avvanta.com yet, tho...

Marc

kare...@nwfirst.com

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 22:45:0217.12.2006
do
Just posted at http://www.dslreports.com/reviews/698:

Network update
Having a venue to address these concerns is good, I'd like to thank
BroadbandReports and everyone posting in this thread.

We do have contingency plans and they have been more than sufficient in
the past. These fail safes were insufficient, to put it mildly, for a
state of emergency. Now that we have all faced this level of pure
destruction in our hometowns and communities our approach to the 'what
if's' will be much more encompassing.

The office where our network is housed suffered heavily with downed
trees and pieces of equipment housed on the roof were brought offline
by flying debris.

It's impossible to plan for every potential calamity that may befall a
singular piece of equipment, as the recent crane falling in downtown
Bellevue can illustrate.

One of the future improvements to our network is a second NOC at a
geographically different location for additional redundancy. This plan
was put into effect months ago. Due to how long it takes for decent
pipes to be installed installation was delayed until Friday the 15th.

Additionally, our VOIP phone system, will be supplimented with a
regular land line that will be available to all customers wishing a
status report.

Open communication has always been at the heart of our philosophy as a
business and as individuals. As we recover from this destruction and
unroll the new services we've been preparing updates will be made to
the main web site. If you have concerns please contact us via email
(sup...@avvanta.com) or call (425.818.6500). Call volume will be heavy
for the first 24 to 48 hours.

Marc Lewis
President
Avvanta Communications

kare...@nwfirst.com

nieprzeczytany,
17 gru 2006, 23:08:4517.12.2006
do

see http://www.avvanta.com. Still awaiting status announcement
specific to various services (i.e. email, etc.)....

K7AAY

nieprzeczytany,
18 gru 2006, 00:40:2918.12.2006
do

kare...@nwfirst.com wrote:
> Just posted at http://www.dslreports.com/reviews/698:
>
> Network update
> Having a venue to address these concerns is good, I'd like to thank
> BroadbandReports and everyone posting in this thread.
>
> We do have contingency plans and they have been more than sufficient in
> the past. These fail safes were insufficient, to put it mildly, for a
> state of emergency. Now that we have all faced this level of pure
> destruction in our hometowns and communities our approach to the 'what
> if's' will be much more encompassing.
>
> The office where our network is housed suffered heavily with downed
> trees and pieces of equipment housed on the roof were brought offline
> by flying debris.
>
> It's impossible to plan for every potential calamity that may befall a
> singular piece of equipment, as the recent crane falling in downtown
> Bellevue can illustrate.

But, windstorms happen, several times in recent memory. Five weeks
after the Skagit River floods, there's a clear lapse in redundancy
shown once more.

> One of the future improvements to our network is a second NOC at a
> geographically different location for additional redundancy. This plan
> was put into effect months ago. Due to how long it takes for decent
> pipes to be installed installation was delayed until Friday the 15th.

Will those pipes reply on Qwest-provided infrastructure at all?

> Additionally, our VOIP phone system, will be supplemented with a

> regular land line that will be available to all customers wishing a
> status report.

Will that landline be at your primary location, or will it be
geographically separate for the sake of redundancy?

K7AAY

nieprzeczytany,
18 gru 2006, 00:43:1518.12.2006
do

gef...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
18 gru 2006, 00:59:2118.12.2006
do
Everything appears to be up EXCEPT website hosting. They also did
somehow cache at least some email. I've received about 20% of what I
usually get in 3 days, but it's spread out from Friday-today, & slowly
continues to come in.

K7AAY

nieprzeczytany,
21 gru 2006, 13:49:4021.12.2006
do
Dear Sirs and Ms:

I am teetering on the verge of discontinuing Avvanta service, and want
to give you one last chance to weigh in. I look forward to your
response, especially since you promised below:

> Open communication has always been at the heart of our philosophy as a
> business and as individuals.

Now, we pay $25/mo ($28 - $3 discount) to Qwest just for DSL service,
plus $15/mo for your Avvanta ISP.

Qwest DSL+MSN ISP is $27/mo; including the $5 'discount' we get as we
have the "Qwest Choice Home" package

MSN has redundancy, big time, whereas your firm never answered my
previous e-mail asking about redundancy, you have not come up with an
actual plan as per your website, and my phone call this morning got a
'whatever' response from your tech support.

I realize you give us dial-in access (if you are working) when we
travel which MSN does not. However, with my mobile phone, I have
faster-than-dialup data service, so that's no longer an incentive.

MSN has no USENET, true; however, I can buy it elsewhere for less than
the $13/mo difference, even a la carte, and your USENET feed has, since
day one, not been good at multi-piece posts arriving intact. The
completion problem has been asked about, and I still have no response
as to why it's so bad.

Neither my wife or I rely on avvanta.com e-mail service, given problems
we had with that last year, with a mail admin who would not reopen an
account which had overgrown your modest mailbox limits, even after the
mailbox was emptied and the listservs which overfilled it pointed
elsewhere.

I'd have to move personal web pages to Windows Live! and/or web logs at
Blogger. I would not mind doing that if it means they will be
available, unlike last weekend.

Every indicator I see points to more bad weather in the years to come,
and I have to improve the reliability of the service we rely on, and
which I use for communications to other volunteer disaster responders.
I hope you understand how important I consider this issue is.

Sincerely yours,

(redacted)

kare...@nwfirst.com wrote:
> Just posted at http://www.dslreports.com/reviews/698:
>
> Network update
> Having a venue to address these concerns is good, I'd like to thank
> BroadbandReports and everyone posting in this thread.
>
> We do have contingency plans and they have been more than sufficient in
> the past. These fail safes were insufficient, to put it mildly, for a
> state of emergency. Now that we have all faced this level of pure
> destruction in our hometowns and communities our approach to the 'what
> if's' will be much more encompassing.
>
> The office where our network is housed suffered heavily with downed
> trees and pieces of equipment housed on the roof were brought offline
> by flying debris.
>
> It's impossible to plan for every potential calamity that may befall a
> singular piece of equipment, as the recent crane falling in downtown
> Bellevue can illustrate.

But, windstorms happen, several times in recent memory. Five weeks

after the Skagit River floods, there's a clear lapse in redundancy
shown once more.

> One of the future improvements to our network is a second NOC at a

> geographically different location for additional redundancy. This plan
> was put into effect months ago. Due to how long it takes for decent
> pipes to be installed installation was delayed until Friday the 15th.

Will those pipes reply on Qwest-provided infrastructure at all?

> Additionally, our VOIP phone system, will be supplemented with a

> regular land line that will be available to all customers wishing a
> status report.

Will that landline be at your primary location, or will it be

geographically separate for the sake of redundancy?

> Open communication has always been at the heart of our philosophy as a

Nowe wiadomości: 0