The oldest doamin name ?

Kevin Coster

Jul 26, 2001, 7:05:33 AM7/26/01
to alt.internet.providers.uk
Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?

microsoft.com = 02-May-1991

Anybody ?

Graham Lyth

Jul 26, 2001, 7:27:01 AM7/26/01
"Kevin Coster" <kev_o...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?
>
> microsoft.com = 02-May-1991

hp.com 03-Mar-1986 ?

Graham

--
Graham Lyth
email: graham AT lyth DOT co DOT uk

Graham Lyth

Jul 26, 2001, 7:32:19 AM7/26/01
"Graham Lyth" <gra...@TAKETHISOUT.lyth.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Kevin Coster" <kev_o...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?
> >
> > microsoft.com = 02-May-1991
>
> hp.com 03-Mar-1986 ?

And another: mit.edu 23-May-1985

Rob Harvey

Jul 26, 2001, 7:34:08 AM7/26/01
"Kevin Coster" <kev_o...@hotmail.com> wrote:

ibm.com = 19-Mar-1986

was the oldest I could find... but then I had another look :-)

isi.edu = 10-Mar-1986 but I bet there are older ones

I guess you look for the first US Universities to use arapanet and look those
up, but you might find they predate WHOIS, so all the dates might be the same.

Rob
--
Robert Harvey
rob at ukservers dot net

Tony Lucas

Jul 26, 2001, 7:38:21 AM7/26/01

> "Graham Lyth" <gra...@TAKETHISOUT.lyth.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "Kevin Coster" <kev_o...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?
> > >
> > > microsoft.com = 02-May-1991
> >
> > hp.com 03-Mar-1986 ?
>
> And another: mit.edu 23-May-1985

cmu.edu was on the of the first Uni's Online I believe:

24-Apr-1985

Regards,

Tony Lucas
XCalibre Communications Ltd
http://www.xcalibre.co.uk
http://www.serverhoster.co.uk Now Online!

Kevin Coster

Jul 26, 2001, 7:34:32 AM7/26/01
to alt.internet.providers.uk
apple.com = 19-Feb-1987

"Kevin Coster" <kev_o...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

John Molineux

Jul 26, 2001, 7:46:57 AM7/26/01
> Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?
>
> microsoft.com = 02-May-1991
>
> Anybody ?

There is probably a very easy way, by reading some ancient articles on the
Internet history, but how about looking at the people with big ARIN IP space
for an overview...

ford.com registered 01-Sep-1988
ge.com registered 05-Aug-1986
ibm.com registered 19-Mar-1986
att.com registered 25-Apr-1986
xerox.com registered Thu, Jan 09, 1986

probably some of the ".mil" and ".edu" domains will be v. old.

apple.com, 19-Feb-1987, beats Microsoft somewhere at least.

xerox.com is the earliest I found using this method before I got bored <g>,
and it makes perfect sence it should be one of the first when you think
about computer history, Xerox PARC n'all.

John

Stuart Wallace

Jul 26, 2001, 7:52:00 AM7/26/01
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:05:33 +0100, "Kevin Coster"
<kev_o...@hotmail.com> caused a disturbance in the force by posting:

>Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?
>
>microsoft.com = 02-May-1991
>
>Anybody ?

Try oracle.com 02-Dec 1988, not sure if its the oldest tho'

Peter Gradwell

Jul 26, 2001, 8:09:30 AM7/26/01
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:46:57 +0100, "John Molineux"
<jo...@spam.molnet.com> wrote:

>xerox.com is the earliest I found using this method before I got bored <g>,
>and it makes perfect sence it should be one of the first when you think
>about computer history, Xerox PARC n'all.

Your all wrong. BBN wrote the first routers and use them to connect to
a host at SRI international.

sri.com -> 17-Jan-1986

Unfortunately bbn.com has obviously lost it's info, because I can't
belive it was registered in 2001.

However, interestingly, as in most cases, Stanford was there before
SRI.

stanford.edu -> 04-Oct-1985.

If your into this sort of thing, I highly recommend "where wizards
stay up late". A potted history of the early years. Most of the book
covers the year 1968-1972.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684832674/o/qid=/sr=8-1/ref=sr_aps_b_1_1/202-5467022-0765402

cheers
peter

engineering & hosting services for email, usenet, sms and web

Developer A/C. £10/month. Shell, Usenet, Web & Custom DNS

Michael McConnell

Jul 26, 2001, 8:25:24 AM7/26/01
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Kevin Coster wrote:

> Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?
>
> microsoft.com = 02-May-1991

alter.net - okay, 26-Jul-1990 (nowhere near as old as the uni's but the
oldest backbone link I could find)

...and interestingly the domain expires tomorrow ;)

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell [Eridani Linux 6.3 Now!]
Eridani Linux -- The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat-based Linux CDROMs Available

Rob Harvey

Jul 26, 2001, 8:28:25 AM7/26/01
Peter Gradwell <pe...@gradwell.com> wrote:

>Your all wrong. BBN wrote the first routers and use them to connect to

^^^^^

Oh no! I can see another flame war over apostrophes coming...

John Molineux

Jul 26, 2001, 8:36:20 AM7/26/01
"Peter Gradwell" <pe...@gradwell.com> wrote in message

> Your all wrong. BBN wrote the first routers and use them to connect to
> a host at SRI international.

> Unfortunately bbn.com has obviously lost it's info, because I can't

> belive it was registered in 2001.

Beforehand I checked on BBN, but too found the registered date to be
"inaccurate", so left it out. I did not know about the routing work it did,
however; which is interesting.

> [purchase & read]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684832674/o/qid=/sr=8-1/ref=sr_aps
_b_1_1/202-5467022-0765402

Unfortunately I have lost the ability to concentrate reading anything that
is not backlit...

> Most of the book covers the year 1968-1972.

They were obviousely very busy inventing things back then, they thought that
year was never going to end... :)

Still, xerox.com beats sri.com by 8 days. However, I agree the
Universitities (along with probably military sites) would be amonst the
first.

When you look at the ARIN database, you wonder why they they felt the urge
to give Ford Motor Company a Class A network[1] to themselves... For
pioneers who were stingy with memory (two digit year) they were very liberal
with IP addresses... does the book mention why?

John

[1] http://www.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=NET-FINET

Phil Latio

Jul 26, 2001, 8:47:31 AM7/26/01

"Tony Lucas" <to...@xcalibre.co.uk> wrote in message

> Graham Lyth <gra...@TAKETHISOUT.lyth.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "Graham Lyth" <gra...@TAKETHISOUT.lyth.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > "Kevin Coster" <kev_o...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > hp.com 03-Mar-1986 ?
> >
> > And another: mit.edu 23-May-1985
>
> cmu.edu was on the of the first Uni's Online I believe:
>
> 24-Apr-1985

www.battleofhastings.com 14-10-1066

Andrew Oakley

Jul 26, 2001, 9:10:41 AM7/26/01
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:38:21 +0100, "Tony Lucas" <to...@xcalibre.co.uk>
wrote:

>> > hp.com 03-Mar-1986 ?
>> And another: mit.edu 23-May-1985
>cmu.edu was on the of the first Uni's Online I believe:
>24-Apr-1985

The earliest possible would be October 1984. Before this date, domain
names could be anything you liked and didn't have to conform to
today's TLDs such as .com, .edu etc.

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/pressingissues2000/briefingbook/dnshistory.html

For instance, before Oct 84, "USC-ISIF" was a valid domain name.

Domain names in any form regardless of .com, .edu etc. came into
existence in November 1983. Before that date only IP addresses could
be used.

Andrew Oakley <andrew@Spam_Me_Not_oakley.net> www.andrew.oakley.net
"what is the use of music," thought Alice, "without drum machines?"

Peter Gradwell

Jul 26, 2001, 9:45:33 AM7/26/01
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:36:20 +0100, "John Molineux"
<jo...@spam.molnet.com> wrote:

>When you look at the ARIN database, you wonder why they they felt the urge
>to give Ford Motor Company a Class A network[1] to themselves... For
>pioneers who were stingy with memory (two digit year) they were very liberal
>with IP addresses... does the book mention why?

No, I don't think so.

PjH : Cima Racing

Jul 26, 2001, 2:01:58 PM7/26/01
"Kevin Coster" wrote...

> Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?
>
> microsoft.com = 02-May-1991
>
> Anybody ?

Assuming you mean a 'modern' domain then that's easy. Here's the earliest
25...

1 : Nordu.net : 1 January 1985
2 : Symbolics.com : 15 March 1985
3 : BBN.com : 24 April 1985
4 : Berkeley.edu : 24 April 1985
5 : UCLA.edu : 24 April 1985
6 : Purdee.edu : 24 April 1985
7 : RICE.edu : 24 April 1985
8 : CMU.edu : 24 April 1985
9 : Rutgers.edu : 25 April 1985
10 : MIT.edu : 23 May 1985
11 : Think.com : 24 May 1985
12 : CSS.gov : 20 June 1985
13 : Harvard.edu : 27 June 1985
14 : Mitre.org : 10 July 1985
15 : MCC.com : 11 July 1985
16 : Cornell.edu : 15 July 1985
17 : UIUC.edu : 18 July 1985
18 : UDEL.edu : 24 July 1985
19 : UMD.edu : 31 July 1985
20 : UTexas.edu : 13 August 1985
21 : USC.edu : 20 August 1985
22 : WISC.edu : 30 September 1985
23 : UCI.edu : 30 September 1985
24 : DEC.com : 30 September 1985
25 : Stanford.edu : 4 October 1985

--
: Phil Huff : Cima Racing : nn...@cimaracing.co.uk :
: Fair Play on Fuel : www.enoughisenough.org.uk :

Richard Tobin

Jul 26, 2001, 5:33:01 PM7/26/01
In article <9jovp0$ugng$1...@ID-99514.news.dfncis.de>,
Tony Lucas <to...@xcalibre.co.uk> wrote:

>cmu.edu was on the of the first Uni's Online I believe:
>
>24-Apr-1985

Berkeley has the same date.

An early commercial one is sun, 19-Mar-1986. I'm sure they had an
IP block allocated long before that, because their manuals used to
tell you to use it if you hadn't got one of your own.

-- Richard
--
Insert witty comment here

Peter Gradwell

Jul 26, 2001, 6:03:58 PM7/26/01
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 19:01:58 +0100, "PjH : Cima Racing"
<repl...@address.is.valid> wrote:

>"Kevin Coster" wrote...
>
>> Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?
>>
>> microsoft.com = 02-May-1991
>>
>> Anybody ?
>
>Assuming you mean a 'modern' domain then that's easy. Here's the earliest
>25...

pray tell, how did you do that?

cheers

Gareth Attrill

Jul 26, 2001, 6:23:39 PM7/26/01
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:25:24 +0100, Michael McConnell
<so...@bitbucket.eridani.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Kevin Coster wrote:
>
>> Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?
>>
>> microsoft.com = 02-May-1991
>
>alter.net - okay, 26-Jul-1990 (nowhere near as old as the uni's but the
>oldest backbone link I could find)

std.com - 14-Jun-1989
World's first commercial dial-up.

Gareth

PjH : Cima Racing

Jul 26, 2001, 7:05:44 PM7/26/01
"Peter Gradwell" wrote...

>> Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?
>>

>> Assuming you mean a 'modern' domain then that's easy. Here's
>> the earliest 25...
>
> pray tell, how did you do that?

It's a file I've had for years. I knew it would come in useful one day :-)

Ian F.

Jul 26, 2001, 7:58:32 PM7/26/01

> Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?

www.frankcarsonsjokes.com - August 1907

Ian

Old Curmudgeon

Jul 27, 2001, 5:28:05 AM7/27/01
As the whirligig of time brings in his revenges, PjH : Cima Racing gaily
trilled:

> "Peter Gradwell" wrote...
>
>>> Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name ?
>>>
>>> Assuming you mean a 'modern' domain then that's easy. Here's the
>>> earliest 25...
>>
>> pray tell, how did you do that?
>
> It's a file I've had for years. I knew it would come in useful one day
> :-)

I think you should pass it on to Cassell so they can include it in the next
edition of 'Brewer'.

--
Roy Archer
http://www.royarcher.org.uk the graphics gallimaufry

PjH : Cima Racing

Jul 27, 2001, 2:06:03 PM7/27/01
"Old Curmudgeon" wrote...

>>> pray tell, how did you do that?
>>
>> It's a file I've had for years. I knew it would come in useful one day
>> :-)
>
> I think you should pass it on to Cassell so they can include it in the
next
> edition of 'Brewer'.

You're going to have to excuse my ignorance (I race cars, I don't run an
ISP!) but...

"Cassell" - Who?
"Brewer" - What?

Please do enlighten me :-)

PjH : Cima Racing

Jul 27, 2001, 2:04:09 PM7/27/01
"Ian F." wrote...

>> Just curious and a bit of fun, what is the oldest domain name?
>
> www.frankcarsonsjokes.com - August 1907

Now that's funny.

Old Curmudgeon

Jul 27, 2001, 5:15:49 PM7/27/01
As the whirligig of time brings in his revenges, PjH : Cima Racing gaily
trilled:

> "Old Curmudgeon" wrote...

>>> It's a file I've had for years. I knew it would come in useful one day
>>> :-)
>>
>> I think you should pass it on to Cassell so they can include it in the
>> next edition of 'Brewer'.
>
> You're going to have to excuse my ignorance (I race cars, I don't run an
> ISP!) but...
>
> "Cassell" - Who?
> "Brewer" - What?
>
> Please do enlighten me :-)

Dr. E, Cobham Brewer was one of those wonderfully eccentric Victorians who
collected, sorted, classified, and filed away any curious bit of information
that came his way. In 1870 the publisher Cassell decided to see if the
public might be interested in the fruits of his labours. 'Brewer's
Dictionary of Phrase and Fable' was an immediate runaway best seller and
it's undergone regular reprint and revision ever since. Have a look for it
in your local bookshop. But, beware! once you start browsing you may find it
unputdownable.

Jeremy C B Nicoll

Jul 29, 2001, 3:02:16 PM7/29/01
In article <Xns90EBECA6C577Ero...@195.8.69.79>,
Old Curmudgeon <roya...@eurosport.com.invalid> wrote:

> Dr. E, Cobham Brewer was one of those wonderfully eccentric Victorians
> who collected, sorted, classified, and filed away any curious bit of
> information that came his way. In 1870 the publisher Cassell
> decided to see if the public might be interested in the fruits of his
> labours. 'Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable' was an immediate
> runaway best seller and it's undergone regular reprint and revision
> ever since. Have a look for it in your local bookshop. But, beware!
> once you start browsing you may find it unputdownable.

It's all of that, yes, but I can't see why a list of domains would
interest them? Book of lists - yes. Guiness book of records - maybe.

Richard Wendland

Jul 30, 2001, 6:57:04 PM7/30/01
>When you look at the ARIN database, you wonder why they they felt the urge
>to give Ford Motor Company a Class A network[1] to themselves...

Probably because Ford ran the first private long-haul IP network
(including trans-atlantic to the UK!). Plenty reason for a class A in
those days. RFC896 says:

Ford Aerospace and Communications Corporation, and its parent
company, Ford Motor Company, operate the only private IP/TCP
long-haul network in existence today. This network connects four
facilities (one in Michigan, two in California, and one in Eng-
land) some with extensive local networks. This net is cross-tied
to the ARPANET but uses its own long-haul circuits;

Indeed John Nagle of Ford developed the TCP Nagle algorithm because their
network was congested at times, and they had a lot of telnet-like traffic.
--
Richard Wendland richar...@starburst.demon.co.uk

Ian Harris

Jul 31, 2001, 8:32:33 PM7/31/01
> When you look at the ARIN database, you wonder why they they felt the urge
> to give Ford Motor Company a Class A network[1] to themselves... For
> pioneers who were stingy with memory (two digit year) they were very liberal
> with IP addresses... does the book mention why?
>
> John
>
> [1] http://www.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=NET-FINET

Obviously 19/8 wasn't enough...

http://www.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=FORD-NETS