Miers: Abortion is murder, the Bible is the literal word of God and homosexuality is a sin

JOE

Oct 5, 2005, 6:55:25 AM10/5/05
Miers' friends say church is evidence of her viewpoints
By Seattle Times news services

Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers is a devout Christian who follows
what she believes to be Jesus Christ's teachings and opposes abortion,
according to interviews with close friends and acquaintances...

Miers' longtime on-and-off companion — himself a Texas Supreme Court
justice — and other confidants pledge that her judicial values would
be guided by the law and the Constitution. But they say her personal
values have been shaped by her abiding faith in Jesus and by her
membership in Valley View Christian Church, where she was baptized as
an adult, served on the missions committee and taught religious
classes.

At Valley View, pastors preach that abortion is murder, the Bible is
the literal word of God and homosexuality is a sin.

In a news conference yesterday, President Bush said he did not recall
discussing abortion or Roe v. Wade with Miers, 60, his longtime
lawyer. But he added:

"I made my position very clear in the course of my campaigns. I'm a
pro-life president. And I know her. I know her heart. I know what she
believes. ... And she knows exactly the kind of judge I'm looking
for."...

Miers joined Valley View 25 years ago. She and about 150 other members
split off to form a new church within the past few weeks, saying they
wanted a more staid and traditional place of worship.

One evening in the 1980s, several years after Miers dedicated her life
to Jesus, she attended a lecture at her church with Nathan Hecht, her
companion, then a colleague at her law firm. The speaker was Paul
Brand, a surgeon and the author of "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made," a
best-selling exploration of God and the human body.

Afterward, Hecht said, Miers said words he never had heard from her
before. "I'm convinced that life begins at conception," Hecht recalled
her saying. According to Hecht, Miers has believed ever since that
abortion is "taking a life."

"I know she is pro-life," said Hecht, one of the most conservative
judges in Texas. "She thinks that after conception, it's not a
balancing act — or if it is, it's a balancing of two equal lives."

Miers' campaign manager in her race for the Dallas City Council in
1989, Lorlee Bartos, recalled she was surprised to learn that her
candidate was opposed to abortion rights.

"I wanted her to meet with a group of pro-choice women, and she said
she wasn't pro-choice," Bartos said. "She said she had been pro-choice
but had changed her view."

Said her friend Ed Kinkeade, a federal district judge: "People in
Dallas know she's a conservative. She's not Elmer Gantry, but she
lives what she believes. ... I'm like, y'all, has George Bush
appointed anyone to an appellate court that is a betrayal to
conservatives?" ...

An occasional attendee of Catholic or Episcopal services through
college and graduate school, Miers was introduced to Valley View
Christian Church by Hecht.

The 1,200-member church is a nondenominational Christian church that
does not require members to subscribe to any particular point of view,
its leaders and members said. But active members such as Miers
generally are attracted by its conservative, Scripture-based
philosophy, they said.

"You could certainly say that she is a very dedicated and active
member of a conservative, evangelical Christian church," said Barry
McCarty, the church's pastor.

Miers maintained her connection with the church even when her job with
the Bush White House kept her in Washington.

< SNIP

Dana

Oct 5, 2005, 8:46:15 PM10/5/05
"JOE" <e...@joes.com> wrote in message

> Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers is a devout Christian

So what, her religion is not an issue, nor should you make it an issue.

Malto

Oct 5, 2005, 9:21:14 PM10/5/05

"Dana" <wh...@whoya.com> wrote in message

So if she was a Muslim, would that be worthy of mention?......:)

Dana

Oct 5, 2005, 9:47:55 PM10/5/05
"Malto" <Ma...@offski.commie> wrote in message

Would not matter.

robw

Oct 5, 2005, 11:08:14 PM10/5/05
Nice one.

robw

Oct 5, 2005, 11:08:53 PM10/5/05
Oh please, get real.

"Dana" <wh...@whoya.com> wrote in message

Dana

Oct 5, 2005, 11:37:00 PM10/5/05
"robw" <nodd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

wby...@ireland.com

Oct 8, 2005, 11:46:17 AM10/8/05

Why not? If her religion colors her rulings and runs in the face of
precedent then it becomes a major issue. Preconceived beliefs negate
the separation of church/state.

WB Yeats

Dana

Oct 8, 2005, 2:52:42 PM10/8/05
<wby...@ireland.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:46:15 -0800, "Dana" <wh...@whoya.com> wrote:
>
> >"JOE" <e...@joes.com> wrote in message
> >> Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers is a devout Christian
> >
> >So what, her religion is not an issue, nor should you make it an issue.
> >
> Why not? If her religion colors her rulings and runs in the face of
> precedent then it becomes a major issue.

You are just being an intolerant bigot.
Precedent does not mean it is cast in stone, those decisions that are wrong
like roe, can and should be over turned.

Matt

Oct 8, 2005, 3:29:10 PM10/8/05

You have to understand, Dana is one of those that believes the
Constitution
really doesn't say what it says, and should be overturned. Basically, a
lunatic.
Most of us ignore it.

Matt

wby...@ireland.com

Oct 9, 2005, 10:41:38 AM10/9/05

Roe v. Wade is wrong because Dana says so. After all he ranks right up
there with John Marshall as a legal scholar. Let me clue you in. If
the Supremes ever outlawed abortion there's be a fight like you
haven't seen since Roosevelt's "switch in time saved nine." The
overwhelming majority in the US favors abortion and this isn't going
to change except in a few backwards states if the court threw it back
in the states' laps. Comprende?

WB Yeats

Dana

Oct 9, 2005, 12:29:46 PM10/9/05

> On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 10:52:42 -0800, "Dana" <wh...@whoya.com> wrote:
>
> ><wby...@ireland.com> wrote in message

> >> Why not? If her religion colors her rulings and runs in the face of
> >> precedent then it becomes a major issue.
> >
> >You are just being an intolerant bigot.
> >Precedent does not mean it is cast in stone, those decisions that are
wrong
> >like roe, can and should be over turned.
>
> Roe v. Wade is wrong because Dana says so.

Nope, because the Constitution does not even address abortion, hence by the
9th and 10th Amendments it is a state and local issue.

mordacp...@hotmail.com

Oct 9, 2005, 12:58:48 PM10/9/05
wby...@ireland.com wrote:

If Roe vs. Wade was overturned, it would become a state's rights issue
(unless Congress passed a law outlawing it, and that would never
happen).

Southern states would outlaw abortion and the poor and teenage
residents of those states would be forced into carrying to term their
pregnancies, placing a great burden on the state to care for the
unwanted children.

States with laws allowing abortions would be funding those unwanted
children (currently blue states support the red states through tax
receipt redistribution, an illegal action in itself). It would be only
a matter of time before those states would rebel against the government
and demand their tax dollars stay in the states generated.

In effect, outlawing abortion would lead to a new American civil war.

And if Congress acted to remove the issue from the states and passed a
federal law outlawing abortion nationwide, the war would start a whole
lot sooner.

Matt

Oct 9, 2005, 7:53:19 PM10/9/05
Dana wrote:
> <wby...@ireland.com> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 10:52:42 -0800, "Dana" <wh...@whoya.com> wrote:
> >
> > ><wby...@ireland.com> wrote in message

> issue.

> > >You are just being an intolerant bigot.
> > >Precedent does not mean it is cast in stone, those decisions that are
> wrong
> > >like roe, can and should be over turned.
> >
> > Roe v. Wade is wrong because Dana says so.
>
> Nope, because the Constitution does not even address abortion, hence by the
> 9th and 10th Amendments it is a state and local issue.

Your lack of knowledge of the Constitution is truly appalling. Do you
really consider yourself informed?

The law is what the Supreme Court SAYS the law is. That's what our
Constitution says. Do you believe that all of the laws the Republicans
have passed are directly addressed in the Constitution? Please indicate
where they can cut taxes. Feel free to take all the time you want. Go
ahead, just a single line will do.

Matt

Dana

Oct 9, 2005, 11:51:03 PM10/9/05
"Matt" <mattt...@sprynet.com> wrote in message

> Dana wrote:
> > <wby...@ireland.com> wrote in message

> > issue.

> > wrong
> > >
> > > Roe v. Wade is wrong because Dana says so.
> >
> > Nope, because the Constitution does not even address abortion, hence by
the
> > 9th and 10th Amendments it is a state and local issue.
>
> Your lack of knowledge of the Constitution is truly appalling.

And again, you have no idea of what you are talking about junior.
So before you go on and continue making a fool out of yourself, just show us
what clause from the Constitution specifically addresses abortion.

Matt

Oct 10, 2005, 8:30:06 AM10/10/05

Typical, ad hominem attacks and generalized ignorance.

If you can't answer the question, simply admit it. The Supreme Court
found an overwhelming right to privacy in the Constitution. Are you now
claiming you know more than the Supreme Court justices? That's what I
thought.

Idiot.

Matt

Dana

Oct 10, 2005, 4:55:52 PM10/10/05
"Matt" <mattt...@sprynet.com> wrote in message

So you admitt, you cannot show any clause in the Constitution that addresses
abortion. See you are learning something.

Matt

Oct 10, 2005, 4:55:33 PM10/10/05

In fact, I said nothing of the sort.

Abortion is quite clearly legal under the First Amendment. If you can't
figure out why, well, that would be pretty sad. But I'll give you a
hint... the concept that "life begins at conception" is a purely
religious one.

Matt