New Website to Critique

javawizard

Jan 14, 2009, 7:07:16 PM1/14/09
I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would you be willing
to check it out and send me any critiques you may have?
Thanks,
- Jeff
www.grandsolver.com

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jan 14, 2009, 7:37:56 PM1/14/09
On 2009-01-15, javawizard wrote:
> I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
> Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would you be willing
> to check it out and send me any critiques you may have?

The text is running out of the box at the right:
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/testing/grandsolver.jpg>

Author:

Raymond Schmit

Jan 14, 2009, 7:52:59 PM1/14/09
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:07:16 -0800 (PST), javawizard
<javaw...@aol.com> wrote:

>I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
>Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would you be willing
>to check it out and send me any critiques you may have?

Very difficult to explain .....
- so many dark pictures on a so long page nearly empty
- no menu
- 3 choices repeated once
- after choicing one page - the only way to get back is the "back" key
- could you remove the left part ? really not needed.

Bergamot

Jan 14, 2009, 7:57:42 PM1/14/09

javawizard wrote:
> I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
> Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com

http://www.bergamotus.ws/screenshots/grandsolver.png
I don't get it.

--
Berg

Ed Mullen

Jan 14, 2009, 10:18:05 PM1/14/09

I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular incident
involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans, hot dogs, pizza
... need I say more?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jan 14, 2009, 11:41:17 PM1/14/09
javawizard wrote:

> I've put together an interesting little website

..several years ago...

> called The Grand Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would
> you be willing to check it out and send me any critiques you may
> have?
> Thanks,
> - Jeff
> www.grandsolver.com

<frame src="http://www.odd-info.com/grand" frameborder="0" />

Same domain you've been posting for years. I don't see any improvement
in your style. Same old markup. Just a new domain name stealthed in
frames. You're still using FrontPlague 4.0 and a mess of google ads.

<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html.critique/browse_thread/thread/6d3a29bf631e461?q=%22odd-info.com%22>
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/browse_thread/thread/12ec6775e207202f?q=%22odd-info.com%22>

--
-bts

andrew

Jan 14, 2009, 11:43:54 PM1/14/09
On 2009-01-15, Ed Mullen <e...@edmullen.net> wrote:

> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular incident
> involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans, hot dogs, pizza
> ... need I say more?

Your post has stimulated me to revive an old page of mine:

Rough Justice in the HTML Newsgroups
http://www.andrews-corner.org/rough_justice.html

and of course your post has been added:-). Anybody remember the infamous
'pig's vomit' comment?

Andrew

--
echo 'hfrarg...@tznvy.pbz' | \
tr 'A-M N-Z a-m n-z' 'N-Z A-M n-z a-m'

asdf

Jan 15, 2009, 12:51:39 AM1/15/09

"andrew" <and...@skamandros.invalid> wrote in message

man... u got waaaaaay to much time on your hands :)

Neredbojias

Jan 15, 2009, 11:46:00 AM1/15/09
On 14 Jan 2009, Ed Mullen <e...@edmullen.net> wrote:

> javawizard wrote:
>> I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
>> Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would you be willing
>> to check it out and send me any critiques you may have?
>> Thanks,
>> - Jeff
>> www.grandsolver.com
>
> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular incident
> involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans, hot dogs, pizza
> ... need I say more?

No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me. Hopefully,
old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/

Ed Mullen

Jan 15, 2009, 1:13:17 PM1/15/09
andrew wrote:
> On 2009-01-15, Ed Mullen <e...@edmullen.net> wrote:
>
>> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular incident
>> involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans, hot dogs, pizza
>> ... need I say more?
>
> Your post has stimulated me to revive an old page of mine:
>
> Rough Justice in the HTML Newsgroups
> http://www.andrews-corner.org/rough_justice.html
>
> and of course your post has been added:-). Anybody remember the infamous
> 'pig's vomit' comment?
>
> Andrew

LOL. Loved it.

http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_ngcult.php

;-)

One nice thing about egoists: They don't talk about other people.

Ed Mullen

Jan 15, 2009, 1:16:00 PM1/15/09
Neredbojias wrote:
> On 14 Jan 2009, Ed Mullen <e...@edmullen.net> wrote:
>
>> javawizard wrote:
>>> I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
>>> Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would you be willing
>>> to check it out and send me any critiques you may have?
>>> Thanks,
>>> - Jeff
>>> www.grandsolver.com
>> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular incident
>> involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans, hot dogs, pizza
>> ... need I say more?
>
> No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me. Hopefully,
> old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.

It has. I never mix hot dogs, baked beans and pizza anymore unless
separated by at least 24 hours.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

Blinky the Shark

Jan 15, 2009, 2:25:06 PM1/15/09
Neredbojias wrote:

> On 14 Jan 2009, Ed Mullen <e...@edmullen.net> wrote:
>
>> javawizard wrote:
>>> I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
>>> Unified Problem Solver at www.grandsolver.com . Would you be willing to
>>> check it out and send me any critiques you may have? Thanks,
>>> - Jeff
>>> www.grandsolver.com
>>
>> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular incident
>> involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans, hot dogs, pizza
>> ... need I say more?
>
> No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me. Hopefully,
> old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.

Ya old fart.

:)

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Neredbojias

Jan 16, 2009, 7:11:58 AM1/16/09
On 15 Jan 2009, Ed Mullen <e...@edmullen.net> wrote:

>>> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular
>>> incident involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans,
>>> hot dogs, pizza ... need I say more?
>>
>> No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me.
>> Hopefully, old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.
>
> It has. I never mix hot dogs, baked beans and pizza anymore unless
> separated by at least 24 hours.

Huh? The point was that pot goes with scotch, not bourbon...

:)

Neredbojias

Jan 16, 2009, 7:24:14 AM1/16/09
On 15 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>>> I remember the 60s. This site reminds me of one particular
>>> incident involving huge amounts of bourbon and pot, baked beans,
>>> hot dogs, pizza ... need I say more?
>>
>> No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me.
>> Hopefully, old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.
>
> Ya old fart.
>
>:)

Ya know, the older a fart gets, the more it dissipates until eventually
it becomes so tenuous that it can no longer logically be considered a
fart at all. Ergo, when I stop stinking, I'm dead though I may be "one
with the universe".

Blinky the Shark

Jan 19, 2009, 2:41:53 AM1/19/09
Neredbojias wrote:

>>> No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me. Hopefully,
>>> old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.
>>
>> Ya old fart.
>>
>>:)
>
> Ya know, the older a fart gets, the more it dissipates until eventually it
> becomes so tenuous that it can no longer logically be considered a fart at
> all. Ergo, when I stop stinking, I'm dead though I may be "one with the
> universe".

As the zen master said to the hot dog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Blinky the Shark

Jan 19, 2009, 2:43:36 AM1/19/09
Neredbojias wrote:

>>> No, but why you are belaboring your lack of taste eludes me. Hopefully,
>>> old age has brought you at least some, uh, refinement.
>>
>> It has. I never mix hot dogs, baked beans and pizza anymore unless
>> separated by at least 24 hours.
>
> Huh? The point was that pot goes with scotch, not bourbon...
>
> :)

They are both relabeled paint thinner. Now, where are the Doritos?

Ed Mullen

Jan 19, 2009, 1:29:36 PM1/19/09
Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Neredbojias wrote:

>>> Ya old fart.
>>>
>>> :)
>>
>> Ya know, the older a fart gets, the more it dissipates until eventually it
>> becomes so tenuous that it can no longer logically be considered a fart at
>> all. Ergo, when I stop stinking, I'm dead though I may be "one with the
>> universe".
>
> As the zen master said to the hot dog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Love it! Just swiped it for my tagline file. :-)

Harmony of aim, not identity of conclusion, is the secret of sympathetic
life. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Neredbojias

Jan 19, 2009, 5:46:01 PM1/19/09
On 19 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>>> It has. I never mix hot dogs, baked beans and pizza anymore unless
>>> separated by at least 24 hours.
>>
>> Huh? The point was that pot goes with scotch, not bourbon...
>>
>> :)
>
> They are both relabeled paint thinner. Now, where are the Doritos?

What are you, a sloe gin man? -Er, fish. As for Doritos, I used to
like them but the last few times I bought them they tasted like
flounder feces. Been goin' with white cheddar popcorn lately, and it's
healthier, too.

Neredbojias

Jan 19, 2009, 5:55:14 PM1/19/09
On 19 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>>> Ya old fart.
>>>
>>>:)
>>
>> Ya know, the older a fart gets, the more it dissipates until
>> eventually it becomes so tenuous that it can no longer logically be
>> considered a fart at all. Ergo, when I stop stinking, I'm dead
>> though I may be "one with the universe".
>
> As the zen master said to the hot dog vendor, "Make me one with
> everything."

<grin />

I had a psychedelic friend once who was a hot dog until he finally got
off his buns and went to hamburger college.

Blinky the Shark

Jan 19, 2009, 6:56:45 PM1/19/09
Neredbojias wrote:

>>> Huh? The point was that pot goes with scotch, not bourbon...
>>>
>>> :)
>>
>> They are both relabeled paint thinner. Now, where are the Doritos?
>
> What are you, a sloe gin man? -Er, fish. As for Doritos, I used to like
> them but the last few times I bought them they tasted like flounder feces.
> Been goin' with white cheddar popcorn lately, and it's healthier, too.

All I ever keep around here is gin and vodka and the stuff it takes to
make gin-of-vodka tonics and bloody marys.

Nicole

Jan 20, 2009, 4:46:28 AM1/20/09
Neredbojias wrote:

> [...]

as I cannot make visible the original posting, I hope the link is correct.
I was at the site and I clicked 3 links at suddden, because I thought "how interesting"!

I love the site in its puritiy and I love the well chosen images.

What you can improve: Make it more harmonic.
The images shall be of the same size, standing in one row.
The headlines shall have about the same length to be in harmony.

e.g.these 3 healines.
The Inspirator

or

Math
(Numerical Conversions)

or

500 Ways To Do The Things You Do
Easier, Faster, Better

.. they shall look more the same in style and length.

I know, you searched for your images hard and they have the size they have. Never the less I would advise you for looking and cutting on. They shall fit to each other. ;-)

Nicole

Adrian

Jan 20, 2009, 9:21:47 AM1/20/09
"javawizard" <javaw...@aol.com> wrote in message
Well, it is all a matter of taste, about which everyone will have a
different opinion. IMO a quick improvement would be to change the font type,
maybe to Verdana. Chosing colors is difficult, however, I don't think the
dark blue is a success. There are currently active posts about colours
wihich contain many excellent references.

Adrian.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jan 20, 2009, 10:01:09 AM1/20/09
Adrian wrote:

> "javawizard" <javaw...@aol.com> wrote:
>> I've put together an interesting little website
>

> Well, it is all a matter of taste, about which everyone will have a
> different opinion. IMO a quick improvement would be to change the
> font type, maybe to Verdana.

If you examine his Last Century markup, you'll discover he doesn't
assign any font families at all. What you are seeing is your browser's
default font.

He doesn't use CSS at all.

Regarding Verdana, there are reasons not to use that. (It doesn't exist
on my computer, for example - not a Windows PC.)
http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jan 20, 2009, 10:22:11 AM1/20/09
Adrian wrote:

> "javawizard" <javaw...@aol.com> wrote:
>> I've put together an interesting little website
>

> Well, it is all a matter of taste, about which everyone will have a
> different opinion. IMO a quick improvement would be to change the
> font type, maybe to Verdana.

If you examine his Last Century markup, you'll discover he doesn't

Adrian

Jan 20, 2009, 10:51:38 AM1/20/09

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.non...@example.invalid> wrote in message
Oups, thank you for your remarks about verdana!
Adrian

Adrian

Jan 20, 2009, 11:00:06 AM1/20/09

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.non...@example.invalid> wrote in message
Is your advice to use arial, or perhaps universe? I would
be pleased to know.

Adrian.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jan 20, 2009, 11:10:24 AM1/20/09
Adrian wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Regarding Verdana, there are reasons not to use that. (It doesn't
>> exist on my computer, for example - not a Windows PC.)
>> http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html
>

> Is your advice to use arial, or perhaps universe? I would
> be pleased to know.

I normally use the following in my style sheets:

body {
font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 100%;

Bergamot

Jan 20, 2009, 1:40:19 PM1/20/09

Adrian wrote:
> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.non...@example.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

> Is your advice to use arial, or perhaps universe?

How about font-family:sans-serif;
and let the visitor see their preferred default font?

Any specific font assignment depends on the design, but most times the
generic family is as suitable as any other.

--
Berg

Adrian

Jan 20, 2009, 2:41:55 PM1/20/09

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.non...@example.invalid> wrote in message
Thanks, in future I will use one of those.
Adrian.

Adrian

Jan 20, 2009, 2:40:26 PM1/20/09

"Bergamot" <berg...@visi.com> wrote in message
True, but there aren't many fonts that are very clear on a screen.
When I write software applications verdana is my favourite, but
that doesn't seem to be a good choice vor websites.
Adrian.

Neredbojias

Jan 20, 2009, 2:54:50 PM1/20/09

>>> They are both relabeled paint thinner. Now, where are the Doritos?
>>
>> What are you, a sloe gin man? -Er, fish. As for Doritos, I used to
>> like them but the last few times I bought them they tasted like
>> flounder feces.
>> Been goin' with white cheddar popcorn lately, and it's healthier,
>> too.
>
> All I ever keep around here is gin and vodka and the stuff it takes
> to make gin-of-vodka tonics and bloody marys.

That's pretty hardcore. Gin is _distilled_; bourbon and scotch are
_crafted_. I don't know what vodka is but wouldn't be surprised if it
were an element of some Bolshevik plot designed to undermine American
capitalism. Perhaps you should have been born a sturgeon...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jan 20, 2009, 2:55:09 PM1/20/09
Adrian wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> I normally use the following in my style sheets:
>>
>> body {
>> font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
>> font-size: 100%;
>

> Thanks, in future I will use one of those.

Don't use 'one' of them; place the whole line in your stylesheet so
visitors who don't have one will get the next fall-back.

Neredbojias

Jan 20, 2009, 3:05:06 PM1/20/09
On 20 Jan 2009, "Adrian" <x...@xx.xx> wrote:

>> Any specific font assignment depends on the design, but most times
>> the generic family is as suitable as any other.
>>
>> --
>> Berg
> True, but there aren't many fonts that are very clear on a screen.
> When I write software applications verdana is my favourite, but
> that doesn't seem to be a good choice vor websites.
> Adrian.

Bah, don't be a noodle! Verdana is fine as long as you don't _misuse_
it (i.e. by making it too small, etc.)

I've read many web pages delineating objections to Verdana, and it's
like _anything_ else: the font _can be_ screwed-up if the proper care
isn't taken with its usage.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jan 20, 2009, 3:14:25 PM1/20/09
Neredbojias wrote:

> On 20 Jan 2009, "Adrian" <x...@xx.xx> wrote:
>> True, but there aren't many fonts that are very clear on a screen.
>> When I write software applications verdana is my favourite, but that
>> doesn't seem to be a good choice vor websites. Adrian.
>
> Bah, don't be a noodle! Verdana is fine as long as you don't
> _misuse_ it (i.e. by making it too small, etc.)

Correctamundo. Too many authors choose Verdana, then set the font size
at 80% or some other ridiculous small size - because Verdana looks too
large in their browsers! Well, yeah. This of course penalizes users
who don't have it, who then see their standard-sized default font in
micro-size.

Verdana is an overly-large font when compared to all the other widely
used ones.

Neredbojias

Jan 20, 2009, 5:55:07 PM1/20/09
On 20 Jan 2009, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.non...@example.invalid>
wrote:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>
>> On 20 Jan 2009, "Adrian" <x...@xx.xx> wrote:
>>> True, but there aren't many fonts that are very clear on a screen.
>>> When I write software applications verdana is my favourite, but
>>> that doesn't seem to be a good choice vor websites. Adrian.
>>
>> Bah, don't be a noodle! Verdana is fine as long as you don't
>> _misuse_ it (i.e. by making it too small, etc.)
>
> Correctamundo. Too many authors choose Verdana, then set the font
> size at 80% or some other ridiculous small size - because Verdana
> looks too large in their browsers! Well, yeah. This of course
> penalizes users who don't have it, who then see their standard-sized
> default font in micro-size.

Absolutely true. Ergo, if you use Verdana, you must want a
larger-appearing font that's also okay at normal size (-for those who
don't have the font.) And as you intimated, don't reduce its size.

> Verdana is an overly-large font when compared to all the other widely
> used ones.

That doesn't mean it's unusable.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jan 20, 2009, 6:18:38 PM1/20/09
On 2009-01-20, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
..

> Verdana is an overly-large font when compared to all the other widely
> used ones.

Verdana is only a little larger that Helvetica or Arial.
Helvetica/Arial is much closer in size to Verdana than it is to
Times Roman.

A page in Times with font-size: 100% is usually too small for me
to read easily. Helvetica or Verdana is comfortable.

I prefer to leave the font for blocks of text unspecified, so that
it is at the user's preferred size and font.

Author:

asdf

Jan 20, 2009, 7:59:47 PM1/20/09

"Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

At last! Somebody slagging off Times New Roman on accessibility grounds!
(and I agree wholeheartedly)

Blinky the Shark

Jan 21, 2009, 12:10:19 AM1/21/09
Neredbojias wrote:

>>> What are you, a sloe gin man? -Er, fish. As for Doritos, I used to
>>> like them but the last few times I bought them they tasted like
>>> flounder feces.
>>> Been goin' with white cheddar popcorn lately, and it's healthier, too.
>>
>> All I ever keep around here is gin and vodka and the stuff it takes to
>> make gin-of-vodka tonics and bloody marys.

That should be "gin-or-vodka", of course.

> That's pretty hardcore. Gin is _distilled_; bourbon and scotch are
> _crafted_. I don't know what vodka is but wouldn't be surprised if it
> were an element of some Bolshevik plot designed to undermine American
> capitalism. Perhaps you should have been born a sturgeon...

Well, my father's name *was* Theodore...

--
Blinky T. "Sturgeon, of course" Shark

Neredbojias

Jan 21, 2009, 5:42:49 PM1/21/09
On 20 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>>> All I ever keep around here is gin and vodka and the stuff it takes
>>> to make gin-of-vodka tonics and bloody marys.
>
> That should be "gin-or-vodka", of course.
>
>> That's pretty hardcore. Gin is _distilled_; bourbon and scotch are
>> _crafted_. I don't know what vodka is but wouldn't be surprised if
>> it were an element of some Bolshevik plot designed to undermine
>> American capitalism. Perhaps you should have been born a
>> sturgeon...
>
> Well, my father's name *was* Theodore...

Ah yes, Theodore Sturgeon, the great sf writer. I was a sf fanatic
back in the "old days" and read many-a TS piece. Anyway, to let the
cat out of the bag, I don't really drink, and when I did, beer was my
primary choice. The last real favorite I remember was "St. Pauli Girl"
dark, but I think they all change in time.

Blinky the Shark

Jan 21, 2009, 6:45:47 PM1/21/09
Neredbojias wrote:

>> That should be "gin-or-vodka", of course.
>>
>>> That's pretty hardcore. Gin is _distilled_; bourbon and scotch are
>>> _crafted_. I don't know what vodka is but wouldn't be surprised if it
>>> were an element of some Bolshevik plot designed to undermine American
>>> capitalism. Perhaps you should have been born a sturgeon...
>>
>> Well, my father's name *was* Theodore...
>
> Ah yes, Theodore Sturgeon, the great sf writer. I was a sf fanatic back
> in the "old days" and read many-a TS piece. Anyway, to let the cat out of
> the bag, I don't really drink, and when I did, beer was my primary choice.
> The last real favorite I remember was "St. Pauli Girl" dark, but I think
> they all change in time.

You never forget your first girl...

--
Blinky

Travis Newbury

Jan 22, 2009, 10:28:29 AM1/22/09
On Jan 14, 7:07 pm, javawizard <javawiz...@aol.com> wrote:
> I've put together an interesting little website called The Grand
> Unified Problem Solver atwww.grandsolver.com. Would you be willing

> to check it out and send me any critiques you may have?

PU