Search your site with Google?

Bruce W...1

Oct 31, 2003, 2:02:29 PM10/31/03
I've seen number of websites that will search that particular website
with Google. It's usually accompanied by a "Powered by Google" and
logo.

Can anyone tell me how this works and if it's free? I found some
information on the Google Web API but I'm not sure if this is the same
thing.

Do you have a link to information on this search tool?

Thanks for your help.

Isofarro

Oct 31, 2003, 2:15:08 PM10/31/03

http://www.google.com/searchcode.html

> Can anyone tell me how this works and if it's free? I found some
> information on the Google Web API but I'm not sure if this is the same
> thing.

No. You _could_ use Google Web API to do the above, and a lot of different
things - but it is far much more work than the form snippet in the URL
above.

--
Iso.
Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010

kayodeok

Oct 31, 2003, 2:25:19 PM10/31/03
"Bruce W...1" <br...@noDirectEmail.com> wrote in

> I've seen number of websites that will search that particular
> website with Google. It's usually accompanied by a "Powered by
> Google" and logo.
>
> Can anyone tell me how this works and if it's free? I found
> some information on the Google Web API but I'm not sure if this
> is the same thing.

In addition to Isofarro's comments, if you wish to search
just your own site, you need to add the following:

<input type="hidden" name="as_sitesearch" value="your.site.com">

As in the code below (remove the link to Microsoft):

<form method="get" action="http://www.google.com/search">

<input type="hidden" name="as_sitesearch" value="support.microsoft.com">

<input type="text" maxLength="256" size="55" name="q" value="">
<input type="submit" value="Search Google" name="sa">

</form>

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

Isofarro

Oct 31, 2003, 2:29:08 PM10/31/03
kayodeok wrote:

> Kayode Okeyode
> http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

Hmmm... very good blog you have there. What sort of subjects
are you covering? Longhorn, syndication and web patents...

kayodeok

Oct 31, 2003, 2:49:19 PM10/31/03
Isofarro <spam...@spamdetector.co.uk> wrote in

> kayodeok wrote:
>
>> Kayode Okeyode
>> http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
>
> Hmmm... very good blog you have there.
> What sort of subjects
> are you covering? Longhorn, syndication and web patents...

I set up the blog to cover Computing in general specifically Web
Development, Perl and Computer Security, I made a conscious
decision not to comment on Microsoft stuff but I am really known
for Windows Resources (http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/) and
scanning my logs suggest my visitors come to my site searching for
microsoft stuff so I keep ending back there.

I will have to make a conscious decision to stop commenting on
Microsoft stuff but then I see this:

Gates: 'You don't need perfect code' for Security

and I am sucked back in!!!

(I am really trying not to comment on that one)

gmcclary

Oct 31, 2003, 3:00:45 PM10/31/03
"Isofarro" <spam...@spamdetector.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]

For a neat & clean site search, look at http://www.atomz.com/
It is not obvious, but a free site search is offered...

TheGuru

Nov 3, 2003, 6:57:01 PM11/3/03
"Bruce W...1" <br...@noDirectEmail.com> wrote in message news:<3FA2B1C5...@noDirectEmail.com>...

I've experienced better results from a custom site search application,
designed from the ground up to build a unique index just for your
site, rather than simply sharing an entire web index, and limiting its
results to just your URL.

You are at their mercy for refresh frequency, specifying what gets
included not included in the results, customization of the search
results appearance, etc.

I'd recommend looking at a hosted site search application. There are
a number of free ones out there, of which I recommend the following:

http://www.fusionbot.com
http://www.atomz.com

Barry Pearson

Nov 8, 2003, 11:02:17 AM11/8/03

This is what I use (free):
http://www.google.com/searchcode.html#both

It simply uses the standard public Google index, but with the option to
confine it to your domain. See:
http://www.childsupportanalysis.co.uk/site_map.htm
http://www.barry.pearson.name/site_map.htm
http://www.birdsandanimals.info/site_map.htm

It doesn't give you your own search engine. I guess you pay extra for that. If
you want something heavyweight, have a look at:
http://www.google.com/services/custom.html

--
Barry Pearson