The Experimentalist

Apr 20, 1994, 5:55:00 PM4/20/94

Does anyone have a particular era in CoC that they are
fond of running/playing? if so, why?

paul c.
the...@uno.cc.geneseo.edu

Leif Magnar Kj|nn|y

Apr 21, 1994, 7:14:22 AM4/21/94
In article <20APR199...@news.cc.geneseo.edu>,

The Experimentalist <the...@news.cc.geneseo.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have a particular era in CoC that they are
>fond of running/playing? if so, why?

Well, I'm sort of fond of the present, mainly because it's so "close to home"
that it's easier to make situations (and thus the horrors) seem real. I have
recently concluded a modern-day campaign (the two PCs who survived with sanity
left had learned too much about Cthonians, and decided to retire to some place
the Cthonians *couldn't* reach them, so they moved to some obscure atoll in
the South Pacific. I just let the curtain fall and allowed them to believe
themselves safe, didn't have heart to tell them about Deep Ones, heh heh) and
will probably wait for some time before running CoC in this era again, however.

Another reason why I like playing in the modern era is that, if you're in the
right mood for it, it's obvious that the world is going down the crapper right
now. Pollution, wars, new epidemics, overpopulation, resurging extremist
groups, hate, and so on and so forth. How much of this is caused by deeper
reasons? Are the stars about to become right? (Incidentally, "The Stars
Are Right" is a great adventure collection; I've run about half of it with
good effect).

--
Leif Kj{\o}nn{\o}y (lei...@kari.fm.unit.no)
"Take your cigarette from its holder, and burn your initials in my shoulder.

John W. Goodrich

Apr 23, 1994, 8:20:04 PM4/23/94
Well, at first I ran BTS through the 1990's, because it seemed
easier, and it was. I mean, I let the players have all the firepower they
could legally come up with, all the tech they wanted (and could afford), and
they still had a whale of a time beating up the bad guys. I lokked LOADS of
them.
Then I tried the '20's with a much smaller group that was interested in the '20's. They were a load of fun, too (they did all the fun stuff in
Innsmouth). I haven't run 1880's yet becasse I don't have a group around,
but I think that I would greatle enjoy the experience.
Do what thou wilt. And it wilt be fun.
Member: BTS- 1989-1992
"We don't negotiate with thangs!"

John Goodrich {Jgoo...@nmsu.edu}
Student/Teacher

Muskrat500

Apr 23, 1994, 10:49:03 PM4/23/94
In article <2pcdvk...@dns1.NMSU.Edu>, jgoo...@nmsu.edu (John W. Goodrich)
writes:

> Does anyone have a particular era in CoC that they are
>fond of running/playing? if so, why?

I'm most fond of the 1920s, since it's vintage Lovecraft. I may be in a
minority, but I love the Lovecraft County modules Chaosium's been putting out.

But I'm also something of a Victorian-era fiend. If nobody's tried running
Space: 1889 using CoC rules, they should. It's a really weird blast, and
converts quite easily.

As an aside: ALL keepers should check out "Dark Themes From Beyond," the ned CD
the Wizard's Attic has released. (Available through Chaosium, I believe). It's
by FAR the best mood-music I've ever played during a session...though it should
be saved for the climactic sessions. It's VERY spooky. Especially with the
lights down low. I had a couple of players huddling in corners - literally -
when I ran the final session for "Fade to Black," a super little "Adventures in
Arkham County" haunter.

David Hines

May 1, 1994, 3:30:50 PM5/1/94
In article <2pcmmv$c...@search01.news.aol.com> muskr...@aol.com
(Muskrat500) writes:
>As an aside: ALL keepers should check out "Dark Themes From Beyond,"
>the ned CD the Wizard's Attic has released. (Available through Chaosium,
>I believe). It's by FAR the best mood-music I've ever played during a session.
>..though it should be saved for the climactic sessions. It's VERY spooky.

The soundtrack to "The Silence of the Lambs" is incredible. Howard Shore
is the composer, and he did a hell of a job making lots of eerie music.
There's *incredible* amounts of tension, and the music is always swelling,
so one always has the feeling that things are going to get even *worse.*

The music works great for any game, actually; a few friends and I used
to play "Hacker" (a card game from Steve Jackson) to it. "Hacker" is
an evil game, and has been known to make enemies. Every little event
in that game, every card dealt, felt like it was the forerunner to the
Apocalypse. I've also used it in the background during the games of
White Wolf's "Vampire," but I've never used it in CoC because, well,
I've never *run* a CoC game. But it works really, really well.

David Hines
dzh...@midway.uchicago.edu