Leonard Cline and HPL

HELL

May 2, 2006, 7:54:52 PM5/2/06
I never heard of Leonard Cline before now but, he seems to have a been
a friend of HPL and a member of the Lovecraft Circle? Does anyone
know anything about him or his books? The only book of his I found at
my local library is The Dark Chamber which based on what is written on
Amazon.com is about someone trying to regain some forgotten memory
through the use of strange drugs.

Anyone know more about The Dark Chamber or Leonard Cline's short
stories?

Are any of his works part of the Mythos?

ram...@ramsey-campbell.com

May 3, 2006, 6:53:16 AM5/3/06
I don't think Cline was in contact with Lovecraft, who praised THE DARK
CHAMBER in SUPERNATURAL HORROR IN LITERATURE. He also, oddly, entered a
summary of the plot in his Commonplace Book, from which I believe
Derleth took it as the basis of his "collaboration" with HPL "The
Ancestor". Derleth later warned me to be careful which entries from the
Commonplace Book I used, and I suspect he had this in mind (presumably
he hadn't read Cline's novel when he used the plot).

HELL

May 3, 2006, 5:12:21 PM5/3/06

There seems to be a good deal of similarities between The Hounds of
Tindalos by Long written in 1931 and The Dark Chamber written in 1927
by Leonard Cline both stories are about finding primal even pre-human
memories and both stories end up with the main character's
metamorphosis into a pre-human slime like state.

Was Long a friend of Leonard Cline? Did Long ever work with Leonard
Cline?

Thanks ;)

ram...@ramsey-campbell.com

May 3, 2006, 5:28:48 PM5/3/06
Long's tale was published in 1929, Cline's in 1927. Neither involves
anybody being transformed into slime. I don't think the authors knew
each other.

my-name-...@hotmail.co.uk

May 3, 2006, 5:37:53 PM5/3/06
pre human slime?

Clark Ashton Smith's Ubbo Sathla?

Drax

May 3, 2006, 5:50:39 PM5/3/06

Maybe I am wrong but, I thought both stories had a metamorphosis into
a pre-human state? That state being Prehistoric unicellular organism?

ram...@ramsey-campbell.com

May 4, 2006, 7:18:41 AM5/4/06
In Cline's novel the searcher in the depths of memory regresses to
savagery but certainly doesn't lose his biped form. Long's protagonist
is found decapitated, "starkly nude, and his chest and arms were
covered with a peculiar bluish pus or ichor" (an image to arouse the
Freudians, no doubt), but that's as close to slime as either gets.

In 1992 Necronomicon Press published THE LADY OF FROZEN DEATH, five
Cline weird tales collected and introduced by the excellent Douglas
Anderson. None is Lovecraftian.

Drax

May 4, 2006, 4:54:22 PM5/4/06
On 4 May 2006 04:18:41 -0700, ram...@ramsey-campbell.com wrote:

>In Cline's novel the searcher in the depths of memory regresses to
>savagery but certainly doesn't lose his biped form. Long's protagonist
>is found decapitated, "starkly nude, and his chest and arms were
>covered with a peculiar bluish pus or ichor" (an image to arouse the
>Freudians, no doubt), but that's as close to slime as either gets.

I must have been think of Clark Ashton Smith's Ubbo Sathla.