Keith Herber, RIP

Magister

Mar 14, 2009, 5:44:54 AM3/14/09
Keith Herber, IMO one of the finest writers for the Call of Cthulhu
RPG, has passed away:

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15397&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

:-(

Martin

Aaron Vanek

Mar 14, 2009, 3:17:40 PM3/14/09
On Mar 14, 2:44 am, Magister <klark...@spray.se> wrote:
> Keith Herber, IMO one of the finest writers for the Call of Cthulhu
> RPG, has passed away:
>
> http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1...
>
> :-(
>
> Martin

Damn.

Aaron

Franklin Hummel

Mar 18, 2009, 9:11:15 AM3/18/09
"Magister" <klar...@spray.se> wrote in message

Oh, gods, this is horrible news.

I know he was married and I also think he had a son. I am sadden
for them and all his loved ones.

I went to the link and saw that one of the 3 or 4 folks behind
Miskatonic River Press had posted this message. I can understand
things are up in the air with MRP, but that also is a sad thing.
Keith and the others had just started becoming more active in
CoC/Lovecraftian fandom and, gods, what a blow to them.

There is a deeply sad and bitter irony that Keith had just had
published his latest and last book, TALES OF THE MISKATONIC
VALLEY from MRP, and the dedication was to Lynn Willis, another
long-time and important contributes to CoC and
Lovecraftian/Mythos fandom, who is very ill.

Now Keith is gone.

-- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts

Magister

Mar 18, 2009, 10:20:00 AM3/18/09
Tom Lynch of Miskatonic River Press started a fundraiser for Doc's
family -- it has already reached its goal of $2000, but since Fundable
will take 10% off that, and cremation will cost $2800 according to
Tom, I'm sure that any additional contribution will be appreciated:

http://www.fundable.com/groupactions/groupaction.2009-03-14.8857145180

I've contributed once, and will do so again next week when my salary
arrives.

Yrs
Martin

Franklin Hummel

Mar 18, 2009, 12:25:45 PM3/18/09

> Tom Lynch of Miskatonic River Press started a fundraiser for
> Doc's
> family -- it has already reached its goal of $2000,

That's wonderful.

> but since Fundable
> will take 10% off that, and cremation will cost $2800 according
> Tom, I'm sure that any additional contribution will be
> appreciated:

> -
> http://www.fundable.com/groupactions/groupaction.2009-03-14.8857145180
> -

> I've contributed once, and will do so again next week when my
> salary
> arrives.

That is very kind of you.

At this time things are so very bad for me -- we just missed
being foreclosed on by a week and things are still very, very
uncertain -- there is little I can do.

Tom Lynch also gave me this link as well and I was going to post
it here, but you had first, Martin.

Would someone please post the link to yog-sothoth.com; I don't
have access there. Maybe start it in a more general topic, than
just the one for MRP, would be more helpful.

-- Franklin Hummel in Boston, Massachusetts

--
* Show Your Miskatonic University Gay Pride! *
Buy T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Buttons & Postcards at:

Magister

Mar 18, 2009, 4:37:45 PM3/18/09
On 18 Mar, 17:25, "Franklin Hummel" <hum...@world.std.com> wrote:

> Would someone please post the link to yog-sothoth.com; I don't
> have access there.  Maybe start it in a more general topic, than
> just the one for MRP, would be more helpful.

The link is already at yog-sothoth.com; it's in one of the currently
most well-visited threads and the link keeps scrolling to the left, in
the list of most recently added-to threads. So I don't think there's
need for another post. But please spread the link far and wide!

Yrs
Martin

Franklin Hummel

Mar 19, 2009, 1:53:14 PM3/19/09
"Magister" <klar...@spray.se> wrote...

The link is already at yog-sothoth.com; it's in one of the
currently
most well-visited threads and the link keeps scrolling to the
left, in
the list of most recently added-to threads. So I don't think
there's
need for another post. But please spread the link far and wide!
-----

I did send a note to Chaosium, suggesting it would be
thoughtful of them to send out a notice about all this, given the
important role Keith played in the literary development of CoC.

Keith was also the person, when he worked at Chaosium, who
suggested and urged the company to publish Bob Price's "Cycle"
books.

He really was a *Lovecraftian*.

Evans

Mar 19, 2009, 2:23:38 PM3/19/09
On Mar 19, 5:53 pm, "Franklin Hummel" <hum...@world.std.com> wrote:
> "Magister" <klark...@spray.se> wrote...

You may allready know this but I belive Chaosium are planning to
dedicate Cthulhu's Dark Cults to his memory. David Conyers made a post
about it somewhere.