Cutting wooden gears

Chris Cartwright

Jan 18, 2002, 9:55:40 AM1/18/02
Hi

I'm interested in making clocks with wooden gear trains.

The only thing I can find on the web (after many hours searching)
are 'scroll saw' approaches which necessitate large wheels and have
limited precision.

Does anyone know where I can find out about cutting 'precision' wooden
gears?

Can you cut them with a normal engineers gearcutting lathe setup
(e.g. Cowells/Sherline)?

- I know this is what instrument makers use to make wooden pipes,
flutes etc.
so guess it would work OK with a dense hardwood. Still some real
experience
would be nice before I invest in lots of equipment.

Is ther is simpler / cheaper way (e.g. adapted miniature mill)?

Any help / pointers gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Cartwright
UK.

Trevor Jones

Jan 18, 2002, 9:50:59 PM1/18/02
There was some pretty good info on wooden works clocks in Fine
Woodworking Magazine over the years.Lots of clear diagrams of the setup
using tooling that ranged from a full size (6"center height or so) metal
lathe,to hand ground cutters in a router to cut teeth.Some info on
indexing as well

Much of this info has found it's way into the reprints put out by the
publisher.A shop that stocks wood working specialty books would probably
have these books or at least,could get them for you.
This one has some info http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070060.asp
although it mainly relates to the jigsaw type of clocks if I recall
correctly
The good info ,sadly,seems to be out of print now according to this
page http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/fw_magindex_ug.asp

The Book I have before me is titled "Small Woodworking Projects" and
was part of "The Best of Fine Wood Working" series of collected
articles.
The articles were authored by Wayne Westphale and pulished in Jan 86
Iss 56 pgs 30-36,and March 86 Iss 57 pgs 58-65.These are the articles I
was referring to above.

Hope this might be of some use.
Cheers
Trevor Jones

Chris Cartwright

Jan 20, 2002, 3:56:37 AM1/20/02
Great! Many thanks for the info - will follow up with FW mag.

I was beginning to think no'one had ever done it before!

All the Best,

Chris Cartwright.

The Baron@flash.net

Jan 20, 2002, 9:18:27 AM1/20/02
You might also try http://wooden-clockworks.com/

"Chris Cartwright" <c...@fpcl.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Robert Coulson

Feb 5, 2002, 4:15:41 PM2/5/02
Chris -
I have cut wooden clock wheels on a sherline, but also on one of those
lightweight chronos wheelcutters that you could buy about twenty years ago.
For wooden wheels I used slitting saws, because I had tried to use
flycutters of the right shape without success. The wood was 'rock maple'
from an old dance floor, and the fly cutters just wedged and split the wood,
whereas the slitting saws cut beautifully and needed no finishing.
There is/was a book by E J Tyler called 'Making a wooden wheeled clock'.
I've a copy, but you may be able to get one from Mrs Shenton. It contains
some serious help on making American style wooden movement clocks.
Email me at paitc...@btopenworld.com
10-10, Bob Coulson

"Trevor Jones" <t.o....@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

TJTalbert

Feb 5, 2002, 8:59:17 PM2/5/02
Bob, what is a "slitting saw"?

Tim

Steve

Feb 6, 2002, 12:29:25 AM2/6/02
A small circular saw made for cutting metal. They are used mostly in lathes
and milling machines. The blades can be purchased in many thickness'. The
original purpose was to cut the slit in screw heads.

Steve.

TJTalbert <tjta...@aol.com> wrote in message