'93 Civic Si HB, Brake lights come on automatically ?

robb

Aug 21, 2011, 9:25:22 AM8/21/11
One morning the brake lights are just magically on all by themselves.

What is likely problem ?

None of the following attempts clears up the problem.

> push and release brake pedal several times
> Cranking the engine turning lights on and off along with brake
> presses

Thanks for any helpful advice or humorous anecdotes ,
robb

jim beam

Aug 21, 2011, 11:17:02 AM8/21/11

there's a small plastic plug on the brake pedal lever that activates the
brake light button. sometimes it cracks and falls out leaving the brake
lights on. look on the carpet and if you find some broken plastic
you've not seen before, that's it. just get a new one, push it in the
hole, and you're set.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Tegger

Aug 21, 2011, 6:45:25 PM8/21/11
jim beam <m...@privacy.net> wrote in

What he said.

The part is about $5 at the dealer, and is available nowhere else.

--
Tegger

jim beam

Aug 21, 2011, 9:10:42 PM8/21/11

you can also get them at junkyards. i got one there to repair a
friend's civic, and the yard's checkout people just waved me through.
just not worth charging for as far as they were concerned.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

robb

Aug 23, 2011, 5:33:28 AM8/23/11
"jim beam" wrote in message

> On 08/21/2011 06:25 AM, robb wrote:
> > One morning the brake lights are just magically on all by
> > themselves.
> > What is likely problem ?
>

> there's a small plastic plug on the brake pedal lever that activates
> the brake light button. sometimes it cracks and falls out leaving
> the brake lights on. look on the carpet and if you find some broken
> plastic you've not seen before, that's it. just get a new one, push
> it in the hole, and you're set.
> -

> nomina rutrum rutrum

That was it !
in about 8 small pieces scattered around the floor board.

Thanks for the help,
robb

robb

Aug 23, 2011, 5:44:44 AM8/23/11
"Tegger" wrote in message

>jim beam <m...@privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> On 08/21/2011 06:25 AM, robb wrote:
>>> One morning the brake lights are just magically on all by
>>> themselves.
>>> What is likely problem ?
>>

>> there's a small plastic plug on the brake pedal lever that [trim]
>> ... cracked

> The part is about $5 at the dealer, and is available nowhere else.

Thanks for help Tegger.
robb