Source for Natural Gas Gaslights

John R. Gordon

May 19, 2001, 7:47:55 PM5/19/01
Does anyone have a good source (online preferrably) for ordering outdoor
Gaslights? (and other outdoor gas lighting?) We had an "Alladin" gaslight
growing up, and I'd like to get something that looks similar, now that I
have natural gas.

Thanks!

John
jrgo...@ingr.com

Peter

May 19, 2001, 10:37:09 PM5/19/01
On Sat, 19 May 2001 18:47:55 -0500, "John R. Gordon"
<jrgo...@knology.net> wrote:

>Does anyone have a good source (online preferrably) for ordering outdoor
>Gaslights? (and other outdoor gas lighting?) We had an "Alladin" gaslight
>growing up, and I'd like to get something that looks similar, now that I
>have natural gas.

I'll bet your gas company has a whole list of local suppliers.
Gas companies have even been known to have discount coupons for such
devices.

John Gilmer

May 20, 2001, 6:04:13 AM5/20/01

"Peter " <pete...@earthlink.netNOSPAM> wrote in message

Most gas companies stopped this when the natural gas crunch of the mid 70's
hit. They used to put up gas lamps that ran 24/7. No more! You can get
electric fixture that look like gas lamps with mantles (the cloth thing when
makes a bright white light when the gas flame hits it.)

Gas companies still want to sell as much gas as they can but they don't want
to "look" wasteful; hence, no more outside 24/7 gas lamps.

John R. Gordon

May 20, 2001, 2:43:31 PM5/20/01
John,

I appreciate the comments, but how is a gas lamp more "wasteful" than
running an electric lamp 24x7?

Thanks.
"John Gilmer" <gil...@crosslink.net> wrote in message

Kevin P. Fleming

May 20, 2001, 2:54:31 PM5/20/01
I too am about to install natural gas lighting in my backyard... my local
gas company does not have any incentives for doing so, but they do actively
promote it. Interestingly, less than 20 miles from my home, there are at
least six natural-gas fired electric power plants under construction, but I
can't believe that burning the gas into electricity, transporting that to my
house, then turning the electricity into light would be cheaper or more
energy efficient than just making light from the gas in the first place :-)

As far as 24/7 operation, when the lamp controls are turned down to their
lowest setting, the amount of gas burned is incredibly small (less than a
pilot for a stove or furnace). I don't feel bad about that at all, when I
consider how much less energy I'll be using when the lights are turned up, I
bet the overall usage will be lower.

For the original poster, just do a search on the 'Net for gas lamps; I've
found three or four manufacturers, and most of them have links to retailers.
Also contact companies in your area that install mid-to-high end gas grills
and fireplaces, they will most likely sell lamps as well (but probably only
as special order items).

Edwin Pawlowski

May 21, 2001, 9:17:22 PM5/21/01
> > <jrgo...@knology.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Does anyone have a good source (online preferrably) for ordering
outdoor
> > >Gaslights? (and other outdoor gas lighting?) We had an "Alladin"
> gaslight
> > >growing up, and I'd like to get something that looks similar, now that
> > >have natural gas.

Cunningham Gas Products has a selection. The web page is
www.cunninghamgas.com
Ed
e...@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

John R. Gordon

May 22, 2001, 7:09:32 AM5/22/01
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I apprecite the help.

John

"Edwin Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message

Abe

May 28, 2001, 3:49:31 PM5/28/01
John, I know you've already got your question answered, but I wanted
to tell you that my neighborhood in NC was started in 1997 and every
home has a gas lamp. They use the solar-controlled versions that turn
themselves down during the day and up at night. Some neighbors have
even tweaked them a little lower. Zero maintenance for me in 3+
years.

Good luck.