Refrigerator - Ice Maker-Water Dispenser Problem, solved

rick

Feb 12, 2006, 5:15:42 PM2/12/06
Reference: Whirlpool Refrigerator, Model ET1FTTXK B02; mfg 2003

Perhaps this will help somebody. About a year ago, our relatively new
Whirlpool refrigerator has a filtered water system, and both the ice maker
and the dispenser suddenly stopped working. I could hear the electric water
solenoid operate, but no water would come out. The water filter had been
changed recently, so I was fairly confident that it wasn't the source of the
problem, but removed it nonetheless.

(As an aside, the manual states that although it is recommended, the filter
is not necessary for the system to operate (but considering the difference
it makes in the taste of our water and ice, i wouldn't even think of not
using one!) and the filter is easily removed and replaced without having to
shut off the water at the wall valve.)

The system still failed to operate without the filter in place. Naturally i
then checked for good water flow at the line, and it was fine. Not knowing
what else to do, I called for a repair tech.

A repairman came out and disconnected all the lines, valves, etc. and could
find no problem. Yet when he reinstalled everything, the water flowed
normally! All he could say is there must have been a small blockage
somewhere in the line that resolved itself with his disturbance of the
system parts, and consequently charged us for a service call.

Fast-forward 1 year: the system suddenly stops working for the 2nd time.
Again, I had changed the filter about two month previously, so routine
maintenance wasn't suspect - but I removed it and emptied it out (you be
amazed at the black particles that come out, after only a month or 2!), and
tried the water dispenser - still nothing. Again, i disconnected the water
line and verified good flow.

I reconnected the water line and reinstalled the filter (which I had
emptied), and upon trying the water dispenser again I could hear water
flowing into the filter - and then stopping. This told me - and I think
this is a key point to check - that water was at least getting that far into
the system.

Determined not to call out the repair man again, I then went online
searching for a solution, and read somewhere that a user reported finding a
"frozen water tank" in his refrigerator's water system (make and model not
mentioned) which of course prevented his ice maker from working which he
subsequently determined was caused by a blockage. Suddenly it hit me:
Recently I had taken a beer from the fridge, and found it to be
slightly-frozen, which was unusual (we keep both the fridge and the freezer
temperature settings slightly colder than the "normal" mark.) I mentioned
this to my wife, and she remembered that she, too, had removed something
from the refrigerator section that was also frozen. Could it be that our
problem was as simple as a frozen water line, tank, etc?

Consequently, we removed everything from the freezer, placing the contents
temporarily into ice chests, and unplugged the refrigerator power cord.
Thirty minutes later, I reconnected the power and - whatddya know, the water
flowed! (Note: the fact that the repair technician had the power off for
about half an hour is no doubt what "fixed" the problem the first time, as
well; i.e., the ice blockage had time to thaw.)

I changed the thermostat setting of both the fridge and the freezer sections
to a "hair" on the warm side of normal, and I fully expect that this will
solve the problem.

buffalobill

Feb 13, 2006, 7:05:10 AM2/13/06
add a $10 digital display thermometer with a min-max button and monitor
the fridge product temperature in a one unmoving glass of water daily
for a week, resetting thermometer off/on after 24 hour readings of temp
and minimum and maximum each day. desired temp 35-40 degrees.
like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFRVK/qid=1139832143/sr=1-22/ref=sr_1_22/103-0610568-1891850?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=284507

Joey

Feb 13, 2006, 8:53:29 AM2/13/06
Rick,

I had the same exact problem on my Whirlpool. I used weed trimmer line
to feed down the plastic lines to feed out any obstructions and then
lowered the temp. Been working fine ever since.

rick

Feb 13, 2006, 12:24:56 PM2/13/06
Great advice, BB. Thanks!
rr

"buffalobill" <wjoh...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

rick

Feb 13, 2006, 12:26:16 PM2/13/06
Joey, I never woulda thought to use weed trimmer line. Great idea - just
hope I won't have to use it! :)

rr

"Joey" <J_nospa...@moultriega.net> wrote in message

rick

Feb 13, 2006, 12:30:15 PM2/13/06
By the way, I'm paying $23.95 + s/h for the Whirlpool #8171413 water
filters. Does anyone know of a better deal that this online site?

https://www.apcoinc.com/forder.asp?mgroupid=00004&msgroupid=00004

Thanks,
rick

"rick" <m...@myisp.com> wrote in message

Ted Mittelstaedt

Feb 14, 2006, 4:27:45 AM2/14/06

> By the way, I'm paying $23.95 + s/h for the Whirlpool #8171413 water
> filters. Does anyone know of a better deal that this online site?
>
> https://www.apcoinc.com/forder.asp?mgroupid=00004&msgroupid=00004

Plumb in a standard water filter available from the local home improvement
store upstream of the refrigerator and just replace that, rather than
replacing the
cartridges. That is how everyone used to handle water lines into icemakers
in
refrigerators, until the refrigerator manufacturers figured out that if they
designed the fridge to use weird-shaped nonstandard water filters that they
could create a cash cow for themselves.

Ted

georgie

Feb 15, 2006, 7:09:09 PM2/15/06
"rick" <m...@myisp.com> wrote in message

> Reference: Whirlpool Refrigerator, Model ET1FTTXK B02; mfg 2003
>
> Perhaps this will help somebody. About a year ago, our relatively new
> Whirlpool refrigerator has a filtered water system, and both the ice maker
> and the dispenser suddenly stopped working. I could hear the electric
> water solenoid operate, but no water would come out. The water filter had
> been changed recently, so I was fairly confident that it wasn't the source
> of the problem, but removed it nonetheless.
<snip>

> Consequently, we removed everything from the freezer, placing the contents
> temporarily into ice chests, and unplugged the refrigerator power cord.
> Thirty minutes later, I reconnected the power and - whatddya know, the
> water flowed! (Note: the fact that the repair technician had the power
> off for about half an hour is no doubt what "fixed" the problem the first
> time, as well; i.e., the ice blockage had time to thaw.)
>
> I changed the thermostat setting of both the fridge and the freezer
> sections to a "hair" on the warm side of normal, and I fully expect that
> this will solve the problem.

We had the same problem a few months ago with our Kenmore Refrigerator. I
believe it's actually made by Whirlpool, also. The source of our problem
was ice build up in the tray near the water supply tube. Eventually, the
ice built up so much that it reached the supply tube and blocked it with an
ice cap. That, in turn, blocked the water from flowing, and froze the water
in the tube.

A hair dryer quickly defrosted the water supply tube, and the problem was
fixed.

Lindeloo

Mar 9, 2006, 7:41:58 PM3/9/06

Lindeloo

Mar 9, 2006, 7:44:00 PM3/9/06
My water dispenser stopped working last night and I was really hoping
that I wouldn't have to call for repair..... so I found this site and
this is exactly what was wrong. The water line from the frig to the
freezer was frozen solid. Not sure why everything in the veggie drawer
got frozen because my controls didn't change. I thawed the line out and
now the water dispenser works. Does everything freezing in the bottom
of the frig. mean there's more to worry about? Thanks for posting your
fix!

jennije...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2014, 1:33:57 PM2/12/14
Did you ever get a reply to this? I am wondering the same thing as we didn't adjust the temperature and have about the same amount of food/stuff in the fridge as we usually do.

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 12, 2014, 2:31:39 PM2/12/14
Sounds like a thermostat gone wild. Check the position of the sensor if
visible to be sure it did not get blocked or damaged Be sure air is
circulating in and around the food properly.

DerbyDad03

Feb 12, 2014, 7:03:09 PM2/12/14
I wonder of the OP is still following her thread considering that it's 8
years old.

Oren

Feb 12, 2014, 7:47:44 PM2/12/14
The subject line seems to support that the OP said the problem was
"solved", apparently a follow-up 8 years ago.

I doubt the OP has stuck around much after his/her problem was solved.

I could be wrong, though.

cloy...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2015, 9:54:16 AM10/19/15
My issue is similar, except dosent seem to be related to being frozen. When I plug the filter into the point where it locks, I get no water to the water dispenser or ice maker. If I remove the filter and put the filter back in just to the point before it locks in, it works and flows fine. Any suggestions? I don't like the filter not being locked in.

Oren

Oct 19, 2015, 11:37:48 AM10/19/15
On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 06:54:00 -0700 (PDT), cloy...@gmail.com wrote:

>My issue is similar, except dosent seem to be related to being frozen. When I plug the filter into the point where it locks, I get no water to the water dispenser or ice maker. If I remove the filter and put the filter back in just to the point before it locks in, it works and flows fine. Any suggestions? I don't like the filter not being locked in.

Lock the filter in, first.

There may be air in the lines. Disconnect the lines from the water
valve in back, drain the lines, connect them again, manually cycle the
ice maker (hold switch down 15 seconds? on position), try the water
dispenser again -- run it a long time to clear any air out. YMMV

tony944

Oct 19, 2015, 12:36:22 PM10/19/15

"Oren" wrote in message news:e83a2b1dmc7616p80...@4ax.com...
Perhaps HO should get filter that calls for, what it seems that filter or
water line have check valve built in
when filter locks in the place it drops out slightly causing water to shut
off.

goodie...@gmail.com

May 13, 2016, 1:48:46 PM5/13/16
I just wanted to add my personal experience here for others that find this discussion. Via a web search. My Whirlpool model WSF26C3EXF01 just had an issue with the dispenser not working but I could hear it trying because the solenoid was actuating. The ice bin looked usually frosty. My issue was the top shelf of the freezer was overpacked with food. It obstructed the hole/handle of the ice bin. This hole/handle is needed for airflow. If it is blocked, the ice bin gets too cold and the water line freezes. Clearing the pathway for airflow by clearing food away from the hole/handle, dumping the ice bin and leaving the door open five minutes fixed it.

karen.r...@forrent.com

Aug 22, 2017, 11:12:32 PM8/22/17
this fixed it!!!
Message has been deleted

czimm...@moorheadschools.org

Dec 31, 2018, 5:38:27 PM12/31/18
I had the same problem of hooking up my whirlpool fridge and the water/ ice worked but a month later both the water and ice maker were not working. I put all of the food in coolers and unplugged the fridge. After an a couple of hours I plugged it back in and the water and ice maker are working fine. The problem was frozen water in the reservior.

Thanks the post was very helpful.

--
Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message and any attached files is for
the sole use of intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and