How to fix a broken light switch box?

wwanman

Aug 19, 2002, 11:38:44 AM8/19/02
I have a single-toggle light switch box where both plastic bolt receptacles
are broken. So I have nothing to screw the switch bolts into. Ideally, the
whole box should be replaced. But, it is located behind a full length mirror
afixed to the drywall. There is a hole cut into the glass to expose the
switch and I don't know what the previous owner used to adhere the glass to
the wall with.

Any alternative suggestions on how to fix this? Otherwise, I am faced with
probably breaking the mirror (there goes my next seven years), cutting an
access hole in the sheetrock and building it all back up.

TIA.

dadiOH

Aug 19, 2002, 12:07:04 PM8/19/02
The bolt holes are totally shot? If not, try dipping the bolts into clear
nail polish before inserting them.

Alternatively and better, you could take some of the putty-like epoxy,
stick it to the switch box and insert the screws (give them a light coat of
oil first). Once the epoxy dries, you should have new threaded holes.
TURN OFF THE POWER FIRST. :)

dadiOH
___________________________

wwanman

Aug 19, 2002, 1:17:49 PM8/19/02

"dadiOH" <dad...@xmail.com> wrote in message

> The bolt holes are totally shot? If not, try dipping the bolts into clear
> nail polish before inserting them.

Yes, unfortunately they are totally broken off.

> Alternatively and better, you could take some of the putty-like epoxy,
> stick it to the switch box and insert the screws (give them a light coat
of
> oil first). Once the epoxy dries, you should have new threaded holes.
> TURN OFF THE POWER FIRST. :)

Will this work if there is absolutely nothing but the sidewall of the box
left?

Thanks alot.

Eric Tonks

Aug 19, 2002, 1:40:11 PM8/19/02
This is one of the reasons that I do not like plastic electrical boxes. At
least metal will not break off in most cases without some severe abuse.
Another is that plastic ceiling boxes cannot hold fans, even lightweight
fans because the screws cannot be depended upon to not strip out with the
weight

"wwanman" <wwan...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Gfretwell

Aug 19, 2002, 1:46:00 PM8/19/02
They make a box extender ring that goes inside the box to shield combustible
surfaces. It has threaded bosses on the surface. Maybe that will work for you
if you glue it in your box.

wwanman

Aug 19, 2002, 2:35:35 PM8/19/02

"Eric Tonks" <eto...@sunstorm.com> wrote in message

> This is one of the reasons that I do not like plastic electrical boxes. At
> least metal will not break off in most cases without some severe abuse.
> Another is that plastic ceiling boxes cannot hold fans, even lightweight
> fans because the screws cannot be depended upon to not strip out with the
> weight

I agree. And the cost between the two is nominal. Unfortunately, my whole
house is made with plastic boxes.

wwanman

Aug 19, 2002, 2:36:32 PM8/19/02

"Gfretwell" <gfre...@aol.com> wrote in message

Never heard of these before. I'll look into it. Thanks.

... ...

Aug 19, 2002, 9:00:03 PM8/19/02

How to fix a broken light switch box?

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Aug 19, 2002, 3:38pm (EDT+4) From:
wwan...@hotmail.com (wwanman)

and so it was asked...........

Is it a plastic box or is it one of those brown bakelite boxes?
My solution would be to turn off the power use a hammer and chiesl to
break up the box (really easy if its a bakelite box) pull any nails with
a pair of pliers and replace with an old work box .

L. Chang

Aug 20, 2002, 12:33:10 PM8/20/02
"wwanman" <wwan...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<8i889.18$FY5.5...@news.cpqcorp.net>...
> I have a single-toggle light switch box where both plastic bolt receptacles
> are broken. So I have nothing to screw the switch bolts into. Ideally, the
> whole box should be replaced. But, it is located behind a full length mirror
> afixed to the drywall. There is a hole cut into the glass to expose the
> switch and I don't know what the previous owner used to adhere the glass to
> the wall with.

Assuming the access is very limited as you've posted, I'd
try to get the parts that broke off (or cut a new one from a good box)
and build an L shaped piece out of it so it can have a good solid surface
to attach to your existing box and hopefully there is a good surface in your
existing box that you can epoxy the replacement onto it.

FC

wwanman

Aug 20, 2002, 1:34:10 PM8/20/02

"... ..." <BRVHR...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> How to fix a broken light switch box?
>
> Is it a plastic box or is it one of those brown bakelite boxes?
> My solution would be to turn off the power use a hammer and chiesl to
> break up the box (really easy if its a bakelite box) pull any nails with
> a pair of pliers and replace with an old work box .

It is a blue plastic box. The problem is a new box won't fit through the
hole that is cut in the full length mirror.

wwanman

Aug 20, 2002, 1:36:48 PM8/20/02

"L. Chang" <thechan...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

That just might work. I could chisel the remnants of the old bolt receiver
flush to the box and epoxy in two cutout replacements from another box.
Thanks.

Janet A. Kyle

Aug 20, 2002, 3:55:11 PM8/20/02
Perhaps you could access the box from the other side of the wall? Just a
thought.

Best regards,

The Old Retired Telephone Man

wwanman wrote:

--
To reply, remove “wxyz” from reply to address.

wwanman

Aug 20, 2002, 4:12:58 PM8/20/02

"Janet A. Kyle" <iow...@pop.erols.com> wrote in message

> Perhaps you could access the box from the other side of the wall? Just a
> thought.
>
> Best regards,
>
> The Old Retired Telephone Man

Oh, crap. Why didn't I thnk of that?

I'll have to check when I get home. Recently I had a water line bust in a
closet behind this wall and I had to take down some dry wall anyway. I have
a 50/50 chance that the switch box is on the correct side of the wall
(perindicular to the wall with the mirror) that separates the closet from
the master bathroom.

Thanks.

wwanman

Aug 21, 2002, 11:26:52 AM8/21/02

"wwanman" <wwan...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Just an update: I looked last night and the box is opposite an inside wall
of a closet. It is not near the plumbing problem unfortunately. But, I think
replacing the box entirely by cutting a new hole in the closet wall is the
best alternative.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Gfretwell

Aug 21, 2002, 12:18:27 PM8/21/02