Re: Oil leaking out of pole transformer

Message has been deleted

RBM

Jun 29, 2005, 7:02:18 AM6/29/05
How Moronic!!! oil in the wires to lubricate motors. Where do you come up
with this garbage, everyone knows the oil is to make the electricity run
smoother
<butte...@icecreamman.com> wrote in message
> >There is probably transformer oil leaking from the transformer that
>>supplies electricity to your house. It's running thru the wires and
>>leaking out. Call the power company and bitch like hell till they
>>replace the goddamn thing.
>
> This explains the oil leaking out of some of my outlets. The ones
> lowest to the floor leak the most oil. I thought the power company
> put oil in the lines on purpose to help lubricate motors and stuff.

Joseph Meehan

Jun 29, 2005, 9:17:46 AM6/29/05
RBM wrote:
> How Moronic!!! oil in the wires to lubricate motors. Where do you
> come up with this garbage, everyone knows the oil is to make the
> electricity run smoother

Yea, but with the new synthetic oils it can also help with the motors.

Got to watch the old stuff however. If it leaks out the EPA will be
after you.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

<RJ>

Jun 29, 2005, 9:36:44 AM6/29/05
But there's always a "drip loop" at the service entrance.

If oil were coming in that way,
there'd also be water coming in
each time it rains....

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:45:42 -0500, butte...@icecreamman.com wrote:

>>There is probably transformer oil leaking from the transformer that
>>supplies electricity to your house. It's running thru the wires and
>>leaking out. Call the power company and bitch like hell till they
>>replace the goddamn thing.
>
>This explains the oil leaking out of some of my outlets. The ones
>lowest to the floor leak the most oil. I thought the power company
>put oil in the lines on purpose to help lubricate motors and stuff.

<rj>

Message has been deleted

G Henslee

Jun 29, 2005, 4:04:52 PM6/29/05
TPut...@AmericaOffline.com wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:22:51 -0700, "SteveB"
> <desertNOSP...@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>"Harry" <ha...@everhart.com> wrote in message

>>>I vaguely remember this oil in transformers as being a source of PCB's.
>>>Can anyone shed light on that?
>>>
>>>Harry
>>
>>Transformers used to contain polychlorinated biphenyls. Since they were
>>found to be carcinogenic, they were phased out as they were located, or as
>>they just went out of service from old age.
>>
>>Transformer explosions due to many causes can be spectacular and scary
>>events.
>>
>>Steve
>>

> What are polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)? I recall hearing about
> this and did also hear thy no longer use this stuff. But the one
> thing I never understood was what PCBs are? Is that the oil itself,
> or something added to it, or some other part of the transformer?
> What is it?

The short story, for use as coolants and lubricants in electrical
equipment such as capacitors and transformers and various other
applications due to their general chemical inertness and heat stability.

http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/pcb/

zxcvbob

Jun 29, 2005, 4:39:05 PM6/29/05
PaPaPeng wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:02:18 -0400, "RBM" <rbm2(remove
> this)@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>How Moronic!!! oil in the wires to lubricate motors. Where do you come up
>>with this garbage, everyone knows the oil is to make the electricity run
>>smoother
>

> That's a good one. I'll use it some day.

> Seriously a transformer does not have any moving parts that need
> lubrication. The oil is for cooling and the transformer is immersed
> in oil. If the oil leak is significant the transformer can overheat
> and maybe even burst into flames. A leak is a problem the elec util
> company will be concerned about.

Older transformers are filled with PCB rather than oil. I didn't see
the original post in this thread, but a leaking transformer on the
utility pole can be a very serious enviromental problem.

Bob

Erik

Jun 29, 2005, 5:55:21 PM6/29/05

> Older transformers are filled with PCB rather than oil. I didn't see
> the original post in this thread, but a leaking transformer on the
> utility pole can be a very serious enviromental problem.
>
> Bob

I heard the oil in older transformers just contain PCB's... who knows.

I do know you don't want to be around a transformer explosion. I suggest
keeping any and all away from that pole, and calling your electric
company asap.

If they don't get excited about it right off the bat, I'd notify the
fire department as well.

Good Luck!

Erik

Erik

Jun 29, 2005, 6:00:11 PM6/29/05

> >>How Moronic!!! oil in the wires to lubricate motors. Where do you come up
> >>with this garbage, everyone knows the oil is to make the electricity run
> >>smoother

One of the things I always liked about working on electrical stuff, is
the fact that electrons aren't always leaking out of disconnected wires
making a big mess..

Erik

MC

Jun 29, 2005, 7:05:15 PM6/29/05
The oil used most today is mineral based.

"Erik" <er...@dejathis.com> wrote in message

SteveB

Jun 29, 2005, 7:48:30 PM6/29/05

"zxcvbob" <zxc...@charter.net> wrote in

> Older transformers are filled with PCB rather than oil. I didn't see the
> original post in this thread, but a leaking transformer on the utility
> pole can be a very serious enviromental problem.
>
> Bob

And if it has PCBs in it or not, a leaky transformer is an incident waiting
to happen. Get on the phone immediately. Send an e mail to them with the
words "IMMINENT DANGER" as the title so you have a record of when you made
them aware of this situation.

Steve

SteveB

Jun 29, 2005, 7:49:58 PM6/29/05

"MC" <mwcl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> The oil used most today is mineral based.

I heard it was opossum oil. From the opossums that arc across the lines

Ever heard the expression "slick as possum grease"?

STeve ;-)

G Henslee

Jun 29, 2005, 8:09:27 PM6/29/05
RBM wrote:

<top posting corrected>

>>This explains the oil leaking out of some of my outlets. The ones
>>lowest to the floor leak the most oil. I thought the power company
>>put oil in the lines on purpose to help lubricate motors and stuff.
>

> How Moronic!!! oil in the wires to lubricate motors. Where do you

come > up
> with this garbage, everyone knows the oil is to make the electricity
> run
> smoother

Hook, line, and sinker...

Message has been deleted

SteveB

Jun 29, 2005, 2:22:51 PM6/29/05

"Harry" <ha...@everhart.com> wrote in message
>> Seriously a transformer does not have any moving parts that need
>> lubrication. The oil is for cooling and the transformer is immersed
>> in oil. If the oil leak is significant the transformer can overheat
>> and maybe even burst into flames. A leak is a problem the elec util
>> company will be concerned about.

Harry

Jun 29, 2005, 2:01:17 PM6/29/05

PaPaPeng

Jun 29, 2005, 1:43:28 PM6/29/05
this)@optonline.net> wrote:

>How Moronic!!! oil in the wires to lubricate motors. Where do you come up
>with this garbage, everyone knows the oil is to make the electricity run
>smoother

That's a good one. I'll use it some day.

Seriously a transformer does not have any moving parts that need

JohnR66

Jun 29, 2005, 9:17:03 PM6/29/05

"SteveB" <desertNOSP...@cox.net> wrote in message
Yes, they can be! Check out the video of a substation disaster (about in the
center of the page):
http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm
John

Curly Sue

Jun 30, 2005, 10:00:18 AM6/30/05
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:45:42 -0500, butte...@icecreamman.com wrote:

>>There is probably transformer oil leaking from the transformer that
>>supplies electricity to your house. It's running thru the wires and
>>leaking out. Call the power company and bitch like hell till they
>>replace the goddamn thing.
>

>This explains the oil leaking out of some of my outlets. The ones
>lowest to the floor leak the most oil. I thought the power company
>put oil in the lines on purpose to help lubricate motors and stuff.

If this is coming from an old (before mid-70s) transformer, then call
the EPA as well as the power company!

If by some chance there are PCBs, you should be concerned about
personal exposure as well as a world of pain, remediation-wise. This
is persistant stuff. Cross your fingers.

Sue(tm)

Bud

Jun 30, 2005, 11:00:05 AM6/30/05
G Henslee wrote:

>> What are polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)? I recall hearing about
>> this and did also hear thy no longer use this stuff. But the one
>> thing I never understood was what PCBs are? Is that the oil itself,
>> or something added to it, or some other part of the transformer?
>> What is it?
>

> The short story, for use as coolants and lubricants in electrical
> equipment such as capacitors and transformers and various other
> applications due to their general chemical inertness and heat stability.

I think their major virtue in transformers, over oil, was that they were
non-flamable. This made a big diference in the fire protective
construction that was required around them.

Bud--

Chris Lewis

Jun 30, 2005, 11:22:41 AM6/30/05
According to Bud <remove....@isp.com>:

PCBs remain stable with the other desired properties (ie: non-conductive,
non-corrosive) over a wider temperature range than the previously available
alternatives. But they _do_ burn if you heat them high enough.

PCBs _often_ create dioxins when overheated or inadequately burned.

In fact, there's some suggestion that the main toxicity problem with PCBs
isn't the PCBs themselves, but trace amounts of dioxin in "used" PCBs. ISTR
a report that said that PCBs _themselves_ haven't been proven to be toxic,
but dioxins sure have, and most "waste PCB" contains traces of dioxins.

--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Ross Richardson

Jun 30, 2005, 11:49:04 AM6/30/05
The oil is also a dielectric...insulator. In the bigger one it is a
cooling agent.

Regards, Ross

SQLit

Jun 30, 2005, 12:25:16 PM6/30/05

"Curly Sue" <address...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

Hate to tell you this but the EPA will not come out any time soon. They
might contact the utility and ask the person in charge of such matters, if
your lucky.

Most of the pole mounted transformers with PCB's are long gone. The cost to
get rid of them in the 90's was,,,,, reasonable. Now days it is more
expensive and harder to do. The utilities risk management folks long ago
decided the cost for replacement or mitigation was far less than the press
and the law suits.

Call the utility like a good neighbor and ask for someone to come out and
verify with you that there is not a danger. Be willing to meet them half
way on the appointment time and date.

Curly Sue

Jun 30, 2005, 3:37:07 PM6/30/05

Perhaps, but not the interval. Someone has to determine ASAP if there
are PCBs involved. If the EPA won't help or the utility co. drags
their feet, then have a private lab analyze it if only for peace of
mind.

Erik

Jun 30, 2005, 5:05:22 PM6/30/05

> Perhaps, but not the interval. Someone has to determine ASAP if there
> are PCBs involved. If the EPA won't help or the utility co. drags
> their feet, then have a private lab analyze it if only for peace of
> mind.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

With or without the possible PCB dangers and mess, when the oil level
get's low enough, that transformer is going to fail... spectacularly
more than likely.

My understanding is they use the thermo cycle system to circulate their
coolant oil (much like the old Ford Model T cooling system). I don't
think one would have to be very low on oil to stop circulation.

Erik

SQLit

Jun 30, 2005, 6:03:46 PM6/30/05

"Curly Sue" <address...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

I work around transformers daily. I have not seen a transformer in the last
10 years that did not have the cute little tag telling you it was either PCB
free or PCB's have been removed. Yep I check every one.

Oil analysis is a tricky thing. You need a clean oil sample not something
sopped up from the ground. Someone is going to be paying upwards of $100
for the test. Surely your not advocating climbing the pole and taking a
sample? Or are you?

SQLit

Jun 30, 2005, 6:09:55 PM6/30/05

"Erik" <er...@dejathis.com> wrote in message

Depending on the manufacture, some can loose close to a 1/3 before they go
nuclear.
As long as the core connections are not exposed most will run low for a
long time.

Unless this pole pig has fins on the tank it does not use the oil as cooling
like you describe. If it does have fins I will guarantee that there are no
PCB's. The finned models are relatively new and would have been produced
after the ban on PCB's.

The silicone oil used by some transformer companies has its own set of
hazards. A lot of manufactures went back to a hybrid mineral oil.

Curly Sue

Jun 30, 2005, 9:39:40 PM6/30/05

OP has stuff leaking into his house. Take that for analysis. No pole
climbing necessary!

Anyway, PCB analysis can be done on soil samples; it doesn't have to
be clean oil.

Message has been deleted

TURTLE

Jul 1, 2005, 11:09:42 AM7/1/05

"Curly Sue" <address...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

This is Turtle.

if you want to check it for PCB stuff. The Power company when they were getting
rid of the transformer with PCB in them. When they changed them out or
determined that it did not have PCB in it. They would put a big sticker across
the side of it saying NON-PCB . if it does not have the sticker it could still
have PCB in it.

check it out.

TURTLE

Erik

Jul 2, 2005, 12:27:54 AM7/2/05

> You said: "they use the thermo cycle system to circulate thei coolant"
>
> How does that work ? I'm too young to know how a Model T worked.

Think it's called it a "thermosyphon' system too. The 'T' was also way
before my time, but here goes...

The transformer is in a big can, with outlets at the top, and inlets at
the bottom leading out to heat exchangers. There are no valves or pumps
of any kind.

The whole assembly is filled... in the case of the transformers, with
oil.

The transformer heats the oil around it, making it a little less dense.

The warm oil rises in the can and goes out the upper outlets into the
heat exchangers. Oil leaving the can is replaced by cool denser oil
entering the can's bottom from the heat exchangers. The cycle continues
as long as there is heat being produced by the transformer.

Circulation is slow at best, and not horribly efficient, but cheap and
reliable as long as the system remains upright, and full of coolant
(oil).

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if some larger transformers
include circulation pumps.

The Model T (or most versions of it if I'm not mistaken) worked much the
same way. Water picked up heat in the block, and rose out to the top of
the heat exchanger (radiator in this case), and was replaced from below
by cool water out the bottom of the radiator. It did have a belt driven
fan pulling air through the radiator, but no water pump.

I think aftermarket waterpumps were a popular modification, and possibly
even factory installed in later 'T' versions. I'm sure some old car
buff's in the group can fill in the holes...

Erik