Priming Flashing

BillGill

May 30, 2008, 10:18:43 AM5/30/08
I just had my roof replaced. There is one place where the new flashing is
up against the wood siding. I need to paint it white to match the rest of the
house. What is the best primer for the flashing?

Bill

Joe

May 30, 2008, 1:11:04 PM5/30/08

Hard to beat RustOleum on metal.

Joe

David Nebenzahl

May 30, 2008, 1:35:41 PM5/30/08
On 5/30/2008 10:11 AM Joe spake thus:

> On May 30, 9:18 am, BillGill <billne...@cox.net> wrote:
>> I just had my roof replaced. There is one place where the new flashing is
>> up against the wood siding. I need to paint it white to match the rest of the
>> house. What is the best primer for the flashing?
>

> Hard to beat RustOleum on metal.

Yes, or any good *oil-based* primer.

Remember the importance of prep. Be sure to clean the metal before
painting. Vinegar is good, as it slightly etches the surface to make the
paint adhere better.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

ransley

May 30, 2008, 1:58:39 PM5/30/08
On May 30, 9:18 am, BillGill <billne...@cox.net> wrote:

What, copper, galvanised, aluminum, rust oleum oil will not work best
on galvanised.

BillGill

May 30, 2008, 2:39:54 PM5/30/08

It is supposed to be galvanized. I don't expect they would have changed.

Bill

Jim Elbrecht

May 30, 2008, 2:59:31 PM5/30/08

They call it Tremclad- but it is a Rustoleum product;
http://rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=545&SBL=5
"Specially formulated to provide adhesion when topcoating galvanized
metal "

Point made, though, is 'use the right primer.'

Jim

ransley

May 30, 2008, 3:06:08 PM5/30/08

Are you sure it not aluminum