Do I need a permit/inspection for any electrical work?

peter

Jul 12, 2006, 4:24:35 PM7/12/06
I heard if you do electrical work in your own home, you need to get a permit
or inspection, or else it is illegel and would void your HO insurance.

Is this true? I have to call for an inspection for simply replacing a light
switch, or replacing a receptacle with a GFCI?

Message has been deleted

Gideon

Jul 12, 2006, 4:57:51 PM7/12/06
Nobody on this newsgroup can complete answer your questions.
Phone your local government, talk with the inspectors and get
precise answers that apply for your community. It is a painless
process. I phoned just this Monday and discussed about 10
potential permit issues with one of our inspectors. Nobody is
going to trace your phone call and put your name in a ledger. :)

Zoning situations can vary tremendously. For example:
- One friend of mine lives 10 miles away and he can completely
rewire his entire house without a permit or inspection. He
can tear out and replace the service panel "on his own." In
fact, he has never even contacted the power company since
he just pulls the meter when he is doing major wiring. (note:
power companies severely frown upon that practice).
- I can legally replace my service panel, but I need a permit and
inspection of the work after it is complete and before the power
is turned back on.
- A friend 2 miles away must hire a licensed electrician to
replace the service panel. The homeowner can't do any of the
service panel replacement himself, unless you count signing the
check. (about $1400 in our area for an average replacement).

Talk with your inspectors. You can learn a lot about the process,
and you can often get some good, free advise on various aspects
of a project.

Good luck,
Gideon

Pete C.

Jul 12, 2006, 5:22:46 PM7/12/06

It varies from location to location, but in nearly all cases simply
changing devices (switch / outlet / light fixture) in an existing box
location are excluded from permit requirements. Call your local building
department and ask to be sure.

Pete C.

Edwin Pawlowski

Jul 12, 2006, 7:27:04 PM7/12/06

"peter" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Depends on where you live. Depends on the type of work to be done. Call
your local building inspector.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 12, 2006, 8:42:06 PM7/12/06
peter wrote:
> I heard if you do electrical work in your own home, you need to get a permit
> or inspection, or else it is illegel and would void your HO insurance.

You heard wrong.
Electrical work is not rocket science,
despite what the collection of fools around here say.

> Is this true? I have to call for an inspection for simply replacing a light
> switch,

No.

> or replacing a receptacle with a GFCI?

No.

In both cases you are not adding any load.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 12, 2006, 8:43:17 PM7/12/06

Gideon wrote:
> Nobody on this newsgroup can complete answer your questions.

I just did, fool.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 12, 2006, 8:43:55 PM7/12/06

Fool.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 12, 2006, 8:44:37 PM7/12/06

Fool.

Edwin Pawlowski

Jul 12, 2006, 9:10:37 PM7/12/06

"TheNIGHTCRAWLER" <thenigh...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

>> Depends on where you live. Depends on the type of work to be done.
>> Call
>> your local building inspector.
>
> Fool.

So the Nightcrawler crawls out of the swamp to spread silly nonsense. Sure,
a lot of things can be done with no permit, but other work requires
inspection and permits.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 12, 2006, 9:45:45 PM7/12/06

Like, duh!

You must have missed the part where he asked about "simply replacing a
light
switch, or replacing a receptacle with a GFCI".

The answer is, "NO, you don't need any stinking inspection."

Not "Depends on where you live".

Fool.

Edwin Pawlowski

Jul 12, 2006, 9:51:03 PM7/12/06

"TheNIGHTCRAWLER" <thenigh...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> Like, duh!
>
> You must have missed the part where he asked about "simply replacing a
> light
> switch, or replacing a receptacle with a GFCI".
>
> The answer is, "NO, you don't need any stinking inspection."
>
> Not "Depends on where you live".

Yes, it may require a permit. Enforced? Of course not, but law on the
books? Yes.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 12, 2006, 10:08:00 PM7/12/06

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "TheNIGHTCRAWLER" <thenigh...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> > Like, duh!
> >
> > You must have missed the part where he asked about "simply replacing a
> > light
> > switch, or replacing a receptacle with a GFCI".
> >
> > The answer is, "NO, you don't need any stinking inspection."
> >
> > Not "Depends on where you live".
>
> Yes, it may require a permit.

Bullshit.

> Enforced? Of course not, but law on the
> books? Yes.

I bet you can't prove your delusion.
(that would require a cite, dumbski)

Keep shopping for kielbasa at Home Depot.

komobu

Jul 12, 2006, 10:42:44 PM7/12/06
I dont agree with your advice at all. I think there are a lot of
variables that the OP hasnt stated clearly. What is his/her deffinition
of a "home". If it was his own single family residence, and he is the
owner on record, you may be correct. If it is a condo or other multiple
family residense, your advice could very well be in error. The smart
reply would be to ask for more info, or call the city. Our city even
has a web page where you can check on line what can and can not be done
without a permit. It appears to me you just want to bother people and
you dont care about the ramifications of the advice you spit out.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 12, 2006, 11:09:11 PM7/12/06

komobu wrote:
> I dont agree with your advice at all.

Another fool.
This ng is full of them.

> I think there are a lot of
> variables that the OP hasnt stated clearly. What is his/her deffinition
> of a "home".

A fool just throws common sense out the window, fool.
I don't care if it's a fucking teepee.
He asked about replacing a switch and receptacle.

> If it was his own single family residence, and he is the
> owner on record, you may be correct.

You just contradicted yourself:

"I dont agree with your advice at all".

Fools tend to do that a lot.

> If it is a condo or other multiple
> family residense, your advice could very well be in error. The smart
> reply would be to ask for more info, or call the city.

Keeeeeeerrrist, man, he asked about replacing a switch and a
receptacle.
The smart thing would be to spend ten minutes and be done with it.
Only a fool would have to ask for more info, fool.

> Our city even
> has a web page where you can check on line what can and can not be done
> without a permit.

Well, what does your city say about replacing a switch and receptacle?

> It appears to me you just want to bother people and
> you dont care about the ramifications of the advice you spit out.

It's a fucking switch and receptacle, fool.
That may be a major project for you, but God damn, don't assume
everybody is as stupid as you are.

Al Bundy

Jul 13, 2006, 12:44:43 AM7/13/06
"TheNIGHTCRAWLER" <thenigh...@fastmail.fm> wrote in

Water seeks it's own level.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 13, 2006, 1:06:03 AM7/13/06

And here you are.

Kyle

Jul 13, 2006, 8:31:42 AM7/13/06

TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:
> peter wrote:
> > I heard if you do electrical work in your own home, you need to get a permit
> > or inspection, or else it is illegel and would void your HO insurance.
>
> You heard wrong.
> Electrical work is not rocket science,
> despite what the collection of fools around here say.

That's OK, I failed out of rocket science my freshman year of college.
Of course, the University of Delaware called it "Honors Aerospace
Engineering".

You need to be more specific in your response, instead of vague and
insulting.

Point is, even a licensed electrician can get things wrong. The
licensed electrician who had done work on the house we bought (before
the previous owner's estate sold it) had reversed polarity in nearly
every room in the house. The electrician we had out to fix it created
another problem the inspectors caught.

So if you're replacing a light switch or outlet, be DAMNED sure you
know what you're doing, or call a licensed electrician. If you're doing
anything more complicated than that, call an electrician.

And if you're unsure, yeah, call your local municipality's code
enforcement office - simply Google the name of your municipality
(county, city, township, whatever) and "inspection" or "inspectors" and
you can find who to contact.

Kyle

Jul 13, 2006, 8:32:03 AM7/13/06

Go away, troll.

tra...@optonline.net

Jul 13, 2006, 8:39:36 AM7/13/06

Kyle wrote:
> TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:
> > peter wrote:
> > > I heard if you do electrical work in your own home, you need to get a permit
> > > or inspection, or else it is illegel and would void your HO insurance.
> >
> > You heard wrong.
> > Electrical work is not rocket science,
> > despite what the collection of fools around here say.
>
> That's OK, I failed out of rocket science my freshman year of college.
> Of course, the University of Delaware called it "Honors Aerospace
> Engineering".
>
> You need to be more specific in your response, instead of vague and
> insulting.
>
> Point is, even a licensed electrician can get things wrong. The
> licensed electrician who had done work on the house we bought (before
> the previous owner's estate sold it) had reversed polarity in nearly
> every room in the house. The electrician we had out to fix it created
> another problem the inspectors caught.
>
> So if you're replacing a light switch or outlet, be DAMNED sure you
> know what you're doing, or call a licensed electrician. If you're doing
> anything more complicated than that, call an electrician.

Just because you don't know how to do more than replace a light switch
or outlet, doesn't mean that no one else does. And apparently from
your own statements above, licensed electricians are capable of doing
work wrong too. I sure as hell wouldn't have reversed hots and
neutrals all over the place.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 13, 2006, 8:54:43 AM7/13/06

Kyle wrote:
> TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:
> > peter wrote:
> > > I heard if you do electrical work in your own home, you need to get a permit
> > > or inspection, or else it is illegel and would void your HO insurance.
> >
> > You heard wrong.
> > Electrical work is not rocket science,
> > despite what the collection of fools around here say.
>
> That's OK, I failed out of rocket science my freshman year of college.
> Of course, the University of Delaware called it "Honors Aerospace
> Engineering".

Stick to macrame, fool.

> You need to be more specific in your response, instead of vague and
> insulting.

What isn't specific enough about, "NO, you don't need a stinking
permit/inspector to replace a switch and receptacle", fool?

> Point is, even a licensed electrician can get things wrong.

Non sequitur, fool.

>The licensed electrician who had done work on the house we bought (before
> the previous owner's estate sold it) had reversed polarity in nearly
> every room in the house.

Didn't you get a home inspection before buying, fool?
Did you hire a fool to do your home inspection, fool?

> The electrician we had out to fix it created
> another problem the inspectors caught.

What problem could possibly be created by switching two wires around,
fool?
You sound like a fool and a LIAR.

> So if you're replacing a light switch or outlet, be DAMNED sure you
> know what you're doing, or call a licensed electrician.

Or call anybody with an IQ over 80.
You obviously don't qualify.

> If you're doing
> anything more complicated than that, call an electrician.

Expecially if you're a fool, fool.

> And if you're unsure, yeah, call your local municipality's code
> enforcement office - simply Google the name of your municipality
> (county, city, township, whatever) and "inspection" or "inspectors" and
> you can find who to contact.

Look in the blue pages, fool.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 13, 2006, 8:57:02 AM7/13/06

Worry about something you can control, fool.

J. Clarke

Jul 13, 2006, 11:56:15 AM7/13/06
TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:

Fascinating. Just fascinating. I have this image in my mind of a pasty,
pimply-faced sunken chested scrawny 16 year old white kid who can't
frighten a housefly who in his fantasy of fantasies wants to be a big
robust black guy with a mohawk, feather earrings, lots of bling, and a
propensity to scare the crap out of pasty, pimply-faced sunken-chested
scrawny 16 year old white kids.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

kevh...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2006, 1:39:39 PM7/13/06
Not getting a permit will NOT void your house insurance. If you screw
something up, it is an accident just like falling asleep in bed with a
cigarette etc. so your insurance will still cover your house.

Oren

Jul 13, 2006, 2:14:24 PM7/13/06
On 13 Jul 2006 10:39:39 -0700, "bl...@blah.com" <kevh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Not getting a permit will NOT void your house insurance. If you screw
>something up, it is an accident just like falling asleep in bed with a
>cigarette etc. so your insurance will still cover your house.

So they cover suicide now? I wonder if the NY explosion the other
day is covered....they say the doctor was trying suicide to keep his
wife from getting a 9 million dollar home. Think they will pay?

Smoking in bed to me is a form of suicide..... I get it.. we won't pay
life insurance, but we cover the house.

Oren

Pete C.

Jul 13, 2006, 2:35:57 PM7/13/06

One life insurance policy I saw specifically indicated that it excluded
suicide for a two year period and otherwise covered it after that.

Pete C.

Pete C.

Jul 13, 2006, 2:38:04 PM7/13/06

Most insurance policies I've seen exclude deliberate criminal acts by
the policy holder so the building would likely not be covered. A life
insurance policy would likely be valid baring any exclusion period.

Pete C.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 13, 2006, 2:49:57 PM7/13/06

You retards are easily entertained.

> I have this image in my mind

One too many trips, eh retard?

> of a pasty,
> pimply-faced sunken chested scrawny 16 year old white kid who can't
> frighten a housefly who in his fantasy of fantasies wants to be a big
> robust black guy with a mohawk, feather earrings, lots of bling, and a
> propensity to scare the crap out of pasty, pimply-faced sunken-chested
> scrawny 16 year old white kids.

Your delusions are meaningless.
You are aware of that, aren't you?

Message has been deleted

Pete C.

Jul 13, 2006, 3:51:15 PM7/13/06
gfre...@aol.com wrote:
> Building without a permit is not a criminal offense unless you are
> selling the service to a 3d party. I have never seen a policy that
> would keep you from collecting unless they could prove you
> intentionally committed arson. (like the guy in New York)
> I still wouldn't be surprised if his widow gets paid on the claim. I'm
> sure it will get reported either way.
> Making a mistake in handyman wiring has the same legal effect as
> plugging in defective christmas lights and setting the tree on fire.
> BTW getting a permit and having it inspected is no assurance that you
> didn't make a mistake. Inspectors take a quick look and go. Their
> workload prevents much more of a look. Around here they may start
> their day with 30 or 40 inspection cards.

The NY case that was mentioned is what I was referring to. Likely
homeowners insurance invalid and life insurance valid.

Pete C.

J. Clarke

Jul 13, 2006, 4:09:29 PM7/13/06
TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:

"retard"? Sorry, I overestimated your age--make it about 12.

>> of a pasty,
>> pimply-faced sunken chested scrawny 16 year old white kid who can't
>> frighten a housefly who in his fantasy of fantasies wants to be a big
>> robust black guy with a mohawk, feather earrings, lots of bling, and a
>> propensity to scare the crap out of pasty, pimply-faced sunken-chested
>> scrawny 16 year old white kids.
>
> Your delusions are meaningless.
> You are aware of that, aren't you?

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 13, 2006, 8:53:49 PM7/13/06

I call 'em as I see 'em.

> Sorry, I overestimated your age--make it about 12.

Bhaaaawwwwaaaawaaaaa!!!

Another original brain fart.

Aren't you the creative one?

Don't worry, though.

Nobody expects much from people like you.

Al Bundy

Jul 13, 2006, 9:34:29 PM7/13/06
"TheNIGHTCRAWLER" <thenigh...@fastmail.fm> wrote in

I didn't come here with "Fool fool fool" comments. So, that is not what
I seek.

You made several replies with "fool" yet you return. I reiterate,, water

J. Clarke

Jul 13, 2006, 9:42:38 PM7/13/06
TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:

As an experiment to see if you come back with a sock puppet, <plonk>.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 13, 2006, 10:48:47 PM7/13/06

It's obvious you wanted to join the fellowship of fools, fool.
There.
Feel better now, fool?

BTW, would you suggest somebody pull a permit to replace a switch and
receptacle?
(let's make it even more offical).

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 13, 2006, 10:53:06 PM7/13/06

Sock puppet?

Wow! Did you just make that up?

Your creativity is just flowing!

BTW, have you ever had an original thought in your whole pathetic life?

Justin West

Jul 13, 2006, 10:57:56 PM7/13/06
Let me get this straight, you would argue over a minor fee for a
permit? The permit lets you receive a 2nd opinion on the work you have
done. Seeing how it's so inexpensive why not just do it.

In Toronto Canada a fire alarm company was fined for removing a smoke
detector head (equivalent of taking down a light socket) and replaced
with same type. The electrical authority fined them for not having a
permit.

This has since been modified to allow this work without having to get a
permit. But imagine not being able to replace a light socket without a
permit.

As another poster mentioned, would this be strictly monitored.
Probably not until you burned your home down by doing something silly.

Edwin Pawlowski

Jul 13, 2006, 11:19:18 PM7/13/06

"Justin West" <we...@rogers.com> wrote in message

> Let me get this straight, you would argue over a minor fee for a
> permit? The permit lets you receive a 2nd opinion on the work you have
> done. Seeing how it's so inexpensive why not just do it.

A couple of reasons. If the job is minor and the person, even the
homeowner, is reasonably competent, there is no need for an inspection and
the associated fee for adding a receptacle, changing a fixture, etc.

Watch how much electrical and plumbing supplies are sold on a given day at
any Home Dept, Crappy Tire etc. Imagine the amount of paperwork required
and the cost of issuing all those permits and making all those inspections.
Town hall would be mobbed.

There are times, though, when a person must be saved from themselves. Years
ago I was working at a fairly new house. I was doing a door installation
but the homeowner was starting to finish the basement. He wired four
receptacles using lamp cord! I pointed them out to his wife and I'm hoping
it was changed. Yes, there are truly stupid people out there.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 13, 2006, 11:35:02 PM7/13/06

Justin West wrote:
> Let me get this straight, you would argue over a minor fee for a
> permit?
> The permit lets you receive a 2nd opinion on the work you have
> done. Seeing how it's so inexpensive why not just do it.

BHHAAAAAAAWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FUCKING PRICELESS!!!
THE FOOLS JUST KEEP ON A COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> In Toronto Canada

BHHAAAWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

> a fire alarm company was fined for removing a smoke
> detector head (equivalent of taking down a light socket) and replaced
> with same type. The electrical authority fined them for not having a
> permit.
>
> This has since been modified to allow this work without having to get a
> permit. But imagine not being able to replace a light socket without a
> permit.

I CAN'T!!!!!!!!!
BHAAAWWWWAAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> As another poster mentioned, would this be strictly monitored.
> Probably not until you burned your home down by doing something silly.

BBHHHHAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWAAAAAAAWWWWWAAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAW!!!!!!!!!!!1

STOP IT!!!

YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I THOUGHT YOU CANADIAN WANKERS DIDN'T HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!

Message has been deleted

Chris Lewis

Jul 14, 2006, 9:56:07 AM7/14/06
According to <gfre...@aol.com>:

> Building without a permit is not a criminal offense unless you are
> selling the service to a 3d party. I have never seen a policy that
> would keep you from collecting unless they could prove you
> intentionally committed arson.

Caution. Most house insurance policies carry exclusions for the
consequences of illegal acts. In Canada, violating the electrical
code (for example) is an illegal act (provincial level). I assume
that it is in some US jurisdictions as well (even if only a bylaw
infraction).

In Canada, legal prosecutions for code infractions are _extremely_
rare, and usually only when the consequences were especially
severe[+]. Still, insurance companies like avoiding payouts. If
a fire is a consequence of unpermitted wiring modifications, you
can damn betcha they have incentive to refuse to pay.

Will they? Depends. Do you feel lucky?

If they do, you have to sue. Which, on top of the consequences
of a fire is going to be extremely costly. No insurance payout,
an unuseable house, and trying to pay a lawyer at the same time.

Not fun.

Do I pull a permit for minor work? No. Because I know _my_
work won't cause problems, and the overall risk is extremely low.
But certain things I do pull permits for - not because I can't
DIY them (some I do), but because they're more major/critical,
and the consequence of foulups is so high.

Furthermore, I make sure that permits are pulled for work that
contractors do for me. The permits protect _me_ from shoddy
workmanship, which is altogether too common - and a lot more
obvious now that I've been watching Holmes on Homes ;-)

[+] Just recently, a local landlord (man and wife) were fined $12K
for not providing smoke alarms. While there is a bit more
legislation regarding fire alarms than "merely" the Ontario
Building Code, the fact that five people died as a result of
the fire demonstrates that the govt. is fully capable of
enforcing the code thru the courts where "making an example"
is necessary. The papers didn't say whether the insurance companies
paid for the damage. I somehow doubt it.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Al Bundy

Jul 14, 2006, 9:50:22 PM7/14/06

> ...fool?

Krackle krackle. Squalk. and insert blabbing horn sound of Charley
Brown's teacher. Amature. Long way to go before you can catch up to the
"ex" with slam comments.

> BTW, would you suggest somebody pull a permit to replace a switch and
> receptacle?
> (let's make it even more offical).

No. I think the OP's Q was are you SUPPOSE to. If you actually do it,
that is pretty lame.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jul 15, 2006, 8:09:09 PM7/15/06

> No.

Correct.
A day late and dollar short but, correct.

> I think the OP's Q was are you SUPPOSE to.

The answer is NO.

> If you actually do it,
> that is pretty lame.

Non sequitur.

Justin West

Jul 17, 2006, 7:58:08 PM7/17/06
LOL, normally I'd let all these messages pass without a comment. But
that was priceless.. Well said.

Kyle

Jul 18, 2006, 1:50:39 PM7/18/06
J. Clarke wrote:
> Fascinating. Just fascinating. I have this image in my mind of a pasty,
> pimply-faced sunken chested scrawny 16 year old white kid who can't
> frighten a housefly who in his fantasy of fantasies wants to be a big
> robust black guy with a mohawk, feather earrings, lots of bling, and a
> propensity to scare the crap out of pasty, pimply-faced sunken-chested
> scrawny 16 year old white kids.

[Sigh] Yeah. The Intarwebs are filled with NIGHTCRAWLER's type of
arrogant, un-informed hostility. My guess is either like yours, or he's
a 36 year old vo-tech who thinks he knows everything about home repair
and construction...and has lots of white-man hostility about the
liberals, the terrrrists and illegal immigrants, thinks Rush Limbaugh
is always right, and is probably deeply confused by the fact there's
more than one street named Peachtree in his city.

I have an image in my mind of him standing at a protest dressed in
dirty shorts and a ratty t-shirt, holding a sign that says "Get a
brain, morans [sic]!"

Usually I attempt to rise above such provocations, but I'm Irish and
have had a bad couple months fighting a losing battle against the
Maryland MTA (one of their buses crushed my car when it was parked in
front of my house and they refuse to reimburse me for the normal costs
of replacing the car), and since it came as a part of someone else's
post let me take some time to demonstrate to NIGHTCRAWLER that I am
obviously a drooling imbecile incapable of tying my own shoes while he
should be elevated to godhood and we should all bow to his obviously
superior intellect.

When I wrote:
> So if you're replacing a light switch or outlet, be DAMNED sure you
> know what you're doing, or call a licensed electrician.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER responded:

> > Or call anybody with an IQ over 80.
> > You obviously don't qualify.

139. Master's degree, Princeton. Have had successful careers in retail
management, radio and television and now an ordained pastor and Finance
Analyst at Johns Hopkins University.

While that doesn't qualify me to speak with authority on home repairs,
perhaps having worked for a commercial construction company and having
years of personal experience with carpentry, concrete work, roofing and
general home remodeling (working for my father's remodeling company
part time while at seminary) gives my statement some credence.

When I opined:

> Point is, even a licensed electrician can get things wrong.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER tried with:
> > Non sequitur, fool.

Please explain how what I said doesn't follow from the discussion. Or
could it be that you, in your great wisdom and brilliance, do not know
the meaning of the Latin "non sequitur"?

When I related:

> The licensed electrician who had done work on the house we bought (before
> the previous owner's estate sold it) had reversed polarity in nearly
> every room in the house.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER retorted:

> > Didn't you get a home inspection before buying, fool?
> > Did you hire a fool to do your home inspection, fool?

Re-read what I said. "the previous owner's estate sold it". The owner
had died and his legal estate was selling the home.

If you knew what you pretend to about real estate law, in many states
an estate sale means that any home inspection is done for information
purposes only, and the estate cannot be held liable to effect repairs
of a non-structure-threatening nature. Of course, the buyer always has
the option to withdraw the bid contingent upon the results of the
inspection, but my wife and I didn't think reversed polarity was a
serious enough defect in the house to warrant that.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER has asked:

> > What problem could possibly be created by switching two wires around,
> > fool?
> > You sound like a fool and a LIAR.

And you, sir, have just proven yourself the idiot you accuse others of
being. Anyone with a basic knowledge of home electrical wiring knows
that while reversed polarity does not present a danger to most
appliances, light fixtures, etc., some delicate electronics can sustain
damage from reversed polarity, some surge suppressors may not protect
equipment against power spikes, and some equipment may not stop when
shut off or start as soon as plugged in. I don't know about you, but I
kinda like the idea of not burning out the nice new computer I just
built, or the TV, the DVD player, my PocketPC when it's recharging the
battery, etc. Nor do I want appliances or tools not shutting off when I
need them to. I want my electric done properly.

See OSHA's discussion of it here:
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/smallbusiness/sec14.html

Since you've shown you have little understanding of basic electrical
wiring, I'm gonna take a wild guess you failed out of that vo-tech
school, yes? Is that why you're so angry and feel the need to insult
everyone here?