Denon vs. Onkyo

BadBlud

May 23, 2001, 11:53:38 AM5/23/01
Okay, I'm narrowing things down.
I need opinions on these two combinations:
Denon AVR-5800 w/ Denon DVM-3700
or
Onkyo TX-DS989 w/ Onkyo DV-C501.

Thanks!

Paul D.

May 23, 2001, 3:50:10 PM5/23/01
For receivers, I would choose Integra over both of those,
www.integrahometheater.com

For DVD players, go with a Panasonic, Toshiba or Pioneer as the Onkyo and
Denon players are merely just rebadged Toshiba players with a couple of
hundred bucks tacked onto the price. That's a steep price to pay for players
that don't support CDR or MP3. But if you have to match, Integra makes a DVD
player, along with a great CD player.

BadBlud <bad...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

Ron

May 23, 2001, 2:17:57 PM5/23/01

The Denon 5800 is one of the best receivers around, period
-- both performance and build quality. I understand the
Integra is also good (though I haven't heard it or looked
under the hood).

The Denon 3700 performance is superlative (CD audio is
absolutely amazing). On the down side, its slow control is
(for me) a serious shortcoming, is is the lack of CD-R or
CD-RW play capability. I seriously doubt it's a rebadged
Toshiba (Toshiba has no carousel player that approaches the
3700 -- they can't even close to the 3700 in their day
dreams). In addition, Denon Customer Service is superb
compared to Toshiba's sleazy crap.

-- Ron

Steve

May 23, 2001, 2:26:37 PM5/23/01
"Paul D." <pa...@noneya.com> wrote:
>For receivers, I would choose Integra over both of those,
>www.integrahometheater.com

Integra is Onkyo, isn't it?

Paul D.

May 23, 2001, 5:44:33 PM5/23/01

Steve <st...@advocate.net> wrote in message

Not really...it's a few steps above Onkyo. There used to be Onkyo and Onkyo
Integra..Onkyo was the cheaper mass produced stuff and the Integra was the
higher end stuff. Now Integra is a seperate line, to put more seperation
between the two brands I would assume.

Brandon D. Edgar

May 23, 2001, 3:50:42 PM5/23/01
I'd go with the Onkyo set up but with the DV-S939 instead of the 501. DVD
Audio is totally astounding and with their flagship reciever you shouldn't
buy an already outdated DVD player. After that, all you'll need is a
progressive scan compatible TV and you'll pretty much have the ultimate home
theater in my opinion. Depending on your speaker choice of course.

Matt

May 23, 2001, 4:59:48 PM5/23/01
I'd go with the Denon 5800 if given a choice between that or the Onkyo 989.
The Denon 5800 is one of the best recievers on the market today, I don't
think you will find many models that will beat it. I feel the Denon
outclasses the Onkyo 989, in both features and performance. I'd go with the
Denon DVM-3700 too, just to keep things simple.
Matt

Stewart Pinkerton

May 23, 2001, 5:40:27 PM5/23/01
Steve <st...@advocate.net> writes:

In the same sense that Mark Levinson is Harman-Kardon, yes.

--

Stewart Pinkerton | Music is art, audio is engineering

It's Only Me!

May 23, 2001, 7:30:19 PM5/23/01
I now own a 5800 and I have auditioned the Onkyo 989 (lower Priced version
of the Integra DTR9.1) Marantz 18EX, and the Marantz 19EX prior to buying
the 5800. While all are real good receivers, the Denon 5800 is significantly
better. You just have to listen to it to tell the differences.
The 5800 is definately the superior receiver!

"Matt" <menge...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dennis' Newsgroups

May 24, 2001, 12:11:04 AM5/24/01

"Ron" <ron***KILL_SPAM_DEAD***a...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> The Denon 5800 is one of the best receivers around, period
> -- both performance and build quality. I understand the
> Integra is also good (though I haven't heard it or looked
> under the hood).

Agreed. Great unit.

> The Denon 3700 performance is superlative (CD audio is
> absolutely amazing). On the down side, its slow control is
> (for me) a serious shortcoming, is is the lack of CD-R or
> CD-RW play capability. I seriously doubt it's a rebadged
> Toshiba (Toshiba has no carousel player that approaches the
> 3700 -- they can't even close to the 3700 in their day
> dreams). In addition, Denon Customer Service is superb
> compared to Toshiba's sleazy crap.

I don't know if it is still the case or not, but the earlier Denon DVD
players were Panasonic OEM guts.

Dennis

Stewart Pinkerton

May 24, 2001, 2:17:56 AM5/24/01
"Dennis' Newsgroups" <denn...@NO.SPAM.mediaone.net> writes:

>"Ron" <ron***KILL_SPAM_DEAD***a...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> The Denon 5800 is one of the best receivers around, period
>> -- both performance and build quality. I understand the
>> Integra is also good (though I haven't heard it or looked
>> under the hood).
>
>Agreed. Great unit.
>

>> The Denon 3700 performance is superlative (CD audio is
>> absolutely amazing). On the down side, its slow control is
>> (for me) a serious shortcoming, is is the lack of CD-R or
>> CD-RW play capability. I seriously doubt it's a rebadged
>> Toshiba (Toshiba has no carousel player that approaches the
>> 3700 -- they can't even close to the 3700 in their day
>> dreams). In addition, Denon Customer Service is superb
>> compared to Toshiba's sleazy crap.
>

>I don't know if it is still the case or not, but the earlier Denon DVD
>players were Panasonic OEM guts.

Yes indeed, I'd tend to go with a Denon 5800 and Toshiba SD900 pairing
rather than all Denon, since Toshiba DVD players have consistently had
leading edge performance, matched only by Sony. Denon DVD players do
seem overpriced, unlike their excellent receivers.

Jeffbon

May 24, 2001, 8:07:34 AM5/24/01
no contest.............Onkyo

Jeffbon

May 24, 2001, 8:08:30 AM5/24/01
I'm sure YOU would, Chuckie

"Paul D." <pa...@noneya.com> wrote in message

Jeffbon

May 24, 2001, 8:09:16 AM5/24/01
More baseless Toshiba paranoia!

Jeffbon

May 24, 2001, 8:10:23 AM5/24/01
Of course.......Chuckie just woke up.

Jeffbon

May 24, 2001, 8:11:18 AM5/24/01
You know what they say about people who "assume", Chuckie.

"Paul D." <pa...@noneya.com> wrote in message

BadBlud

May 24, 2001, 9:52:10 AM5/24/01
Hey everyone, thanks for all the info, and please start your own thread for
"Chuckie bashing".
I need this thread to stay on the topic.
Thanks so much.

Ron

May 24, 2001, 10:56:51 AM5/24/01

My Toshiba DVD player bit the dust after 3 years of use. My
Denon DVD player, same vintage, is running like a top.
Toshiba service (likely, he'll need it soner or later) is
the pits -- Denon is better than average.

Also, the 5800 comes with the RC-8000 (Aktis) univeral
remote that comes preprogrammed for Denon stuff. If he goes
with the Toshiba player, he'll have to reprogram the remote.
No big deal, if he's into that sort of thing -- but a
hassle, otherwise.

-- Ron

Charles Tomaras

May 24, 2001, 10:44:37 PM5/24/01
We've been through this before... but having never known any other universal
remote I LIKE the remote that comes with the 5800. After a few months of use
it's really grown on me. It's easy for the family as well. When my elderly
father comes to visit, he can change television channels, control volume,
and mute with five out of the only six physical buttons on the remote. He
never has to deal with the remote's display. Very easy for me to explain to
him. Also the remote and the 5800 have a very wide angle of acceptance for
IR. I can leave the remote on the coffee table and just hit the volume
buttons or mute button without having to pick it up and point it. I've not
experimented with the RF options for it but it seems it would be great for
multi-room use.

Charlie - Seattle

"Brian L. McCarty" <opera...@worldjazz.com> wrote in message
> in article 3b0ca1ac...@news.freeserve.net, Stewart Pinkerton at
> pat...@popmail.dircon.co.uk wrote on 24/5/01 16:17:

> > Yes indeed, I'd tend to go with a Denon 5800 and Toshiba SD900 pairing
> > rather than all Denon
>

> Then you lose the "one remote" capability.
>
> The problem with the 5800 is they stick you with the Aktis (or whatever
it's
> called) remote, probably the most powerful piece of crap remote ever made.

Randy Howard

May 24, 2001, 11:35:32 PM5/24/01
In article <tgrhnp6...@corp.supernews.com>, tom...@tomaras.com says...

> We've been through this before... but having never known any other universal
> remote I LIKE the remote that comes with the 5800. After a few months of use
> it's really grown on me.

Do people really make A/V decisions based upon bundled remote controls?
Geez... Buy a pronto,or better yet go get a Creston or Panja touchscreen
and take all your remotes and throw them in a box in a closet somewhere
(After you remove the batteries). :-)

--
ra...@thegateway.net

Ron

May 25, 2001, 3:09:07 PM5/25/01

The Aktis that comes with the Denon 5800 is on the same
order as the Pronto. The pronto would present the same
problem -- it would need to be programmed.

Apparently, McCarthy couldn't program a remote to save his
life, so it scares him out of his (already limited) wits.
Most of the rest of us will take 20 minutes and do it, no
problem.

-- Ron