Another new book out

Paul.L...@googlemail.com

Oct 2, 2008, 9:55:37 AM10/2/08
Hi all,
With the mighty array of new Titanic books released this year, I
thought I'd add my own to the list. Its an electronic book, in pdf
format, which I sell on CD rom or via email. It amount to 335 A4 pages
and covers the issue of the Titanic and the Californian with many
documents that were only released to the public last year by the UK
Government, as well as papers from the private files of Walter Lord
and Leslie Harrison. I've received some good reviews, including one
from the Titanic International Society (to be published in mid
October)

There are more details at http://www.paullee.com/book_details.php

With best wishes

Paul
--
http://www.paullee.com

Steven Davies-Morris

Oct 2, 2008, 1:15:24 PM10/2/08

Thanks for posting. I shall check out the samples online today.
NP: nothing

Paul.L...@googlemail.com

Oct 2, 2008, 1:16:32 PM10/2/08
On 2 Oct, 18:15, Steven Davies-Morris <sdav...@fakeemailaddy.com>
wrote:

> Paul.Lee.1...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > With the mighty array of new Titanic books released this year, I
> > thought I'd add my own to the list. Its an electronic book, in pdf
> > format, which I sell on CD rom or via email. It amount to 335 A4 pages
> > and covers the issue of the Titanic and the Californian with many
> > documents that were only released to the public last year by the UK
> > Government, as well as papers from the private files of Walter Lord
> > and Leslie Harrison. I've received some good reviews, including one
> > from the Titanic International Society (to be published in mid
> > October)
>
> > There are more details athttp://www.paullee.com/book_details.php

> > With best wishes
>
> > Paul
> > --
> >http://www.paullee.com
>
> Thanks for posting.  I shall check out the samples online today.
> --
> Cheers, SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man
> Systems Theory internet music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
> on MySpace: <www.myspace.com/systemstheory>
> on Last FM: <www.last.fm/music/Systems+Theory>
> get "Codetalkers" *free* at <www.mikedickson.org.uk/codetalkers>
> NP: nothing

Thanks, I hope you'll like it. Theres a wealth of new information in
there!

Paul
--
http://www.paullee.com

Paul.L...@googlemail.com

Oct 2, 2008, 2:55:51 PM10/2/08
wrote:
> Paul.Lee.1...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > With the mighty array of new Titanic books released this year, I
> > thought I'd add my own to the list. Its an electronic book, in pdf
> > format, which I sell on CD rom or via email. It amount to 335 A4 pages
> > and covers the issue of the Titanic and the Californian with many
> > documents that were only released to the public last year by the UK
> > Government, as well as papers from the private files of Walter Lord
> > and Leslie Harrison. I've received some good reviews, including one
> > from the Titanic International Society (to be published in mid
> > October)
>
> > There are more details athttp://www.paullee.com/book_details.php

> > With best wishes
>
> > Paul
> > --
> >http://www.paullee.com
>
> Thanks for posting.  I shall check out the samples online today.
> --
> Cheers, SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man
> Systems Theory internet music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
> on MySpace: <www.myspace.com/systemstheory>
> on Last FM: <www.last.fm/music/Systems+Theory>
> get "Codetalkers" *free* at <www.mikedickson.org.uk/codetalkers>
> NP: nothing

Interestingly, I've just been interviewed by Roy Basnett of
Liverpool's city talk radio station about my book. I'm not sure when
the piece will be broadcast though.

Cheers!

Paul
--
http://www.paullee.com

Paul.L...@googlemail.com

Oct 2, 2008, 2:57:14 PM10/2/08
On 2 Oct, 19:55, "Paul.Lee.1...@gmail.com" <Paul.Lee.

Its being broadcast from 2am tomorrow morning (UK time). You may be
able to hear it via streaming audio.

BW

Oct 2, 2008, 9:15:22 PM10/2/08
I bought and read Paul's book several e-book several months ago. One
thing Paul gets into, that I had no knowledge about, is the 'politics'
behind previous Titanic/Californian books and debates.

Well worth it.

Bill Wormstedt

Daniel Allen Butler

Oct 19, 2008, 7:30:35 PM10/19/08
On Oct 2, 6:55 am, "Paul.Lee.1...@gmail.com" <Paul.Lee.

1...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> With the mighty array of new Titanic books released this year, I
> thought I'd add my own to the list. Its an electronic book, in pdf
> format, which I sell on CD rom or via email. It amount to 335 A4 pages
> and covers the issue of the Titanic and the Californian with many
> documents that were only released to the public last year by the UK
> Government, as well as papers from the private files of Walter Lord
> and Leslie Harrison. I've received some good reviews, including one
> from the Titanic International Society (to be published in mid
> October)
>
> There are more details athttp://www.paullee.com/book_details.php

> With best wishes
>
> Paul
> --http://www.paullee.com

Hello, all!

Let’s have some fun here, shall we?

OK, so I get blasted by people to whose books I give bad reviews. One
such "author" recently referred to me as an "angry man" on another
discussion board, simply because I've consistently panned the
conclusions he’s drawn from his work for the last ten years and now
I've panned his new book. (Mind you, a professional acquaintance with
whom I correspond from time to time remarked that this particular
“author” “is probably decent [at his job], but he doesn't understand
enough about Titanic to make grand conclusions. He should stick to
examining the trees and stop trying to describe the entire forest.”
Most recently I've been catching flak over the review I wrote on
Amazon.com of "Titanic's Last Secrets," even as people who are
featured in the book are dismissing it. Such is life. "Unsinkable"
is still in print over ten years after it came out, we'll see what
kind of shelf-life those other "works" have....

"OK, Butler," I can hear you saying, "what does all this self-serving
rambling have to do with Paul Lee's new e-book?" Just this: I'm here
to tell you to that I HIGHLY recommend it!

That's right, you just heard Daniel Allen Butler endorse somebody
else's work!

One poster on another board accused me of being "unhappy" whenever
anyone "rocks the boat" concerning the Titanic. Not true--I simply
object to would-be writers trying to create stories out of whole cloth
or fabricating issues where they don't exist. (You know who you
are.) I have no use for–and see no purpose in recommending–books
which add nothing of genuine substance to the Titanic story. I don’t
have time to waste on some obscure bit of scientific insignifica or
sensationalist revisionism that is trumpeted as a “startling new
discovery.” Claiming that the scupper-cover on the crew’s forward
portside head was made of inferior material that the shipyard knew
about and didn’t correct, and that the cover failed as the ship went
down, hastening her sinking by at least 37 seconds does not constitute
a “shocking new revelation..” It is, however, a waste of my time

Paul Lee’s new book is NOT one of these books. It IS a presentation
of the Californian controversy in an entirely new light, explaining
how the Lordite--anti-Lordite partisanship grew and festered over the
decades, as well as providing an insight into the personalities and
politics of each camp. He doesn't conclusively settle the controversy
of where the Californian really was and what her officers did or did
not do in the early hours of April 15, 1912--but then he doesn't try
to. He produces what are to him the best possible conclusions based
on all the physical evidence--and I do mean ALL the physical evidence--
available. His research is exhaustive. He knows his subject, and
even better, he knows his people. I was fascinated by how he followed
the two factions, pro- and anti- Lord, over the years, as well as
explained why certain people adopted the positions they did and
defended them with such vehemence.

Thank you, Paul--you've made a genuine contribution to the Titanic
story. You have every right to be proud of it. I wish you every
success with this new e-book!

All the best,

Daniel Allen Butler

The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the
management, but they ought to be!

Paul.L...@googlemail.com

Oct 21, 2008, 12:54:34 PM10/21/08
Wow, thanks Daniel, I am actually glowing with pride!

With best wishes

Paul

Steven Davies-Morris

Oct 21, 2008, 2:05:51 PM10/21/08

What I read in the samples was excellent.

Steven Davies-Morris

Oct 21, 2008, 2:08:50 PM10/21/08

Now that's what I call a ringing endorsement. By the author of my
personal "favourite-read" Titanic book. Certainly an endorsement
that pushes me forward towards buying Paul's e-book.

Paul.L...@googlemail.com

Oct 21, 2008, 2:14:16 PM10/21/08
Thanks for your kind comments. I just wish more people would buy it. I
have had to give up work
due to poor health and the book is the only way I have to bring in a
tiny bit of income.

Cheers

Paul

Daniel Allen Butler

Oct 21, 2008, 4:14:03 PM10/21/08
On Oct 21, 9:54 am, "Paul.Lee.1...@gmail.com" <Paul.Lee.

You're welcome, Paul!

Daniel Allen Butler

Oct 21, 2008, 4:18:33 PM10/21/08

> Now that's what I call a ringing endorsement.  By the author of my
> personal "favourite-read" Titanic book.

And my thanks, in turn, to you, Steve!

OK, quick, somebody say something acerbic--all this mutual admiration
is getting unbearable!

All the best,

Daniel Allen Butler

The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the

managment, but they ought to be!

Paul.L...@googlemail.com

Nov 4, 2008, 10:59:43 AM11/4/08
I've had a few people email me saying that they don't have a Paypal
account and how can they order my book? If its causing problems,
you can email me directly and we can sort something out (I may get a
PO Box to help with the orders, for instance)

Cheers!

Paul
--
http://www.paullee.com/book_details.php

Paul Goodwin

Nov 4, 2008, 1:37:58 PM11/4/08

"Paul.L...@gmail.com" <Paul.L...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> I've had a few people email me saying that they don't have a Paypal
> account and how can they order my book? If its causing problems,
> you can email me directly and we can sort something out (I may get a
> PO Box to help with the orders, for instance)
>
> Cheers!
>
> Paul

I'm curious-- why an "e-book"? I tried reading one online before (Stephen
King) and it's just nowhere near as enjoyable (or easy, portability and all)
as sitting down with a good, old fashioned paper book, at least for me.
Reading vast amounts of text on a computer screen is just too taxing on
these aging eyeballs, it tends to give me headaches.

Will there be a published, "traditional" version somewhere down the line?

At any rate, best of luck with it, looks like you have some good
endorsements!

--

Paul

Paul.L...@googlemail.com

Nov 4, 2008, 7:41:51 PM11/4/08
A few reasons. (incidentally, a paper book may be an option in the
future, whenever that is)

If you were to write a book, spend the time researching it, collating
it, who would you expect to get the majority of the money? The
authors? No.
A friend (who is well known in Titanic and maritime circles) tells me
that, for every 1000 copies sold, he gets £1000. Sound good, but his
books sell
for about £16 a time. Why should authors line the pockets of book
producers?

I decided on this option after much thought. Mainstream and less
money, or more money, but less sales? I didn't expect to make much
money
out of this, certainly NOT caviar and champagne. Indeed, Don Lynch
agrees with me on this. But certainly enough cash to pay the bills
would be
nice. Unfortunately it is proving difficult. As I said, I have no
income because of my health and the Government and benefits etc. are
turning their back on me. My plan
to get a bit of cash to live on resulted in one person telling me that
I was a ****ing idiot, but I have no choice. Why should we authors
line the pockets
of book companies? We did all the darned work!

Please don't get at me about this, I am already receiving sufficient
death threats about my work to give me sleepless nights.

Paul

Paul Goodwin

Nov 9, 2008, 4:43:39 PM11/9/08

>Please don't get at me about this, I am already receiving sufficient
>death threats about my work to give me sleepless nights.

It was certainly not my intent to "get at you" about it, I'm not an author &
know little about the process, your reasons certainly seem valid, I was
merely curious as I'm seeing quite a few of these e-books appearing online.

I don't even want to get into why you would be receiving "death threats"
about your work. Wow.

--

Paul

Paul.L...@googlemail.com

Nov 21, 2008, 8:39:48 PM11/21/08
Hi Paul,
It seems that some people don't want a contrary opinion on the
Californian controversy to be aired...

I applaud people who try to market an ebook on their own; its blasted
hard work, but well worth it!
It means that a proportion of the money goes to who deserves it, even
if it means the author has
to go to all the trouble of creating diagrams, clearing copyright
issues etc.

Best wishes

Paul