Plant challengers (Might belong rass)

William Baird

Jun 21, 2004, 1:14:46 PM6/21/04
I've been reading a bit on the origin of life. One of the
topics covered was the development or coopting of mitochondria
and chloroplasts. Originally, they were independant organisms
that were absorbed into other one celled organisms. One
suggestion is even that the nucleus of the eukaryotes was in
fact at one time yet another organism, but that seems to have
less support.

The thought had occurred to me that lichens have been around
for a long, long time. Fungus and algae work together in a
symbiotic relationship. Yet they have never completed the
steps above like their theoretical predecessors did.

So, what-if they do?

What are the implications of a fungus that can photosynthesize?
Truly so, rather than cooperatively.

(Beyond the Green Door potential here?)

Will

--
William P Baird Do you know why the road less traveled by
Speaking for me has so few sightseers? Normally, there

Coyu

Jun 22, 2004, 8:19:13 PM6/22/04
Will Baird wrote:

>The thought had occurred to me that lichens have been around
>for a long, long time. Fungus and algae work together in a
>symbiotic relationship. Yet they have never completed the
>steps above like their theoretical predecessors did.
>
>So, what-if they do?
>
>What are the implications of a fungus that can photosynthesize?
>Truly so, rather than cooperatively.

I dunno. It seems indicative to me that since this fusion has
not developed (so far as I know), the symbiotic relationship
has an evolutionary advantage -- somehow, the survival of both
the algae and the fungus is enhanced more than their fusion
would be.

Probably the adverse conditions in which many lichen live are
responsible.

Anyone know more? (Doug, I know you grep my name.)

William Baird

Jun 23, 2004, 1:58:39 AM6/23/04
co...@aol.com (Coyu) wrote in message
> I dunno. It seems indicative to me that since this fusion has
> not developed (so far as I know), the symbiotic relationship
> has an evolutionary advantage -- somehow, the survival of both
> the algae and the fungus is enhanced more than their fusion
> would be.

Or perhaps the intermediate has some serious disadvantages?
Or does hte chitin in the fungus inhibit the photosynethsis in
some way?

You're prolly right though. That it hasn't happened, even though
its been possible for ages and then some, is a pretty big indication
that it wouldn't.

> Probably the adverse conditions in which many lichen live are
> responsible.

True.

Then again, I keep thinking of photofungus living along the edges
of very soil and resource poor regions. Indeed, even great forests
of them thrusting up into the sky, drawing moisture from the air and
breaking down the rock. The reason I was thinking of the Green Door
scenario is that I could see them as the precusors before true plants
pushing inland into the great deserts of the inland wastelands, drawing
in moisture and creating soil...

Will

--
William P Baird Do you know why the road less traveled by
Speaking for me has so few sightseers? Normally, there
Home: anzha@hotmail is something big, mean, with very sharp
Work: wbaird@nersc teeth - and quite the appetite! - waiting
Add .com/.gov somewhere along its dark and twisty bends.

Coyu

Jun 23, 2004, 8:47:33 AM6/23/04
Will Baird wrote:

>> I dunno. It seems indicative to me that since this fusion has
>> not developed (so far as I know), the symbiotic relationship
>> has an evolutionary advantage -- somehow, the survival of both
>> the algae and the fungus is enhanced more than their fusion
>> would be.
>
>Or perhaps the intermediate has some serious disadvantages?
>Or does hte chitin in the fungus inhibit the photosynethsis in
>some way?

Nah. I think that a symbiotic form, able to dissociate into its
component parts, is probably more likely to insure the survival
of at least one of its species in extreme conditions than a
permanent, non-dissociable, endosymbiosis.

Chitin is simply a polysaccharide, like cellulose. No problems
with inhibiting photosynthesis there.