Perl UI ideas

1 view

Kirk Is

Dec 5, 2005, 1:12:27 AM12/5/05
I know Perl ain't much of a hack, but here goes anyway:

ObHack:
helping my girlfriend with her art school project, I have to apply
gluestick, wait 90 seconds, THEN attach the paper to the background. Perl
to the rescue! Grabbed the iBook and did something like

#!/usr/bin/perl
for($i = 90; $i > 0; $i--){
print $i,"\n";
sleep 1;
}
print "^G";
print "\n";

It worked as well as I could have expected...it was much better once I
decided to count 90 and display rather than just sleep 90 (exact timing
didn't matter, btw) And I could do something else and let the system beep
summon me.

A partial hack was entering ^G so perl could print it out...I'm sure there
might be a few ways of doing this...I couldn't remember how to get emacs
to insert a literal ctrl-character, and doing it on the shell just gave me
an immediate beep, but I noticed interactive mode perl gave me the
"delayed beep" I was hoping for. So I started writing the above script by
typing

> perl > beepin90.pl
print qq(print "^G";);

(btw am I the only one who feels "guilty" using .pl rather than .perl for
Perl programs, because .pl was used for prolog back in compsci class?)

ANYWAY.

Another recent Perl program does the equivalent of a du...but it dumps out
an HTML page with a collapsable tree view. I had an app to do that for
Windows but not Mac, so I wrote my own in Perl.

Discussion point: is a Masters Degree "worth" it for professional Java
programmers? I've seen so many bozos who have big degrees but can write a
simple factorial program during an interview that I'm intensly skeptical,
but my family likes the idea of extra education for me, even though I'm
31.

Real Question: any new suggestions for good multiplatform UIs in Perl? I
wrote a ugly mess of "Tk" for one project at my last company. And of
course I "punted" and wrote DHTML output recently...(not interactive with
the Perl, notably) Anything new? I liked VB3/VB4 back in the day for this
kind of stuff... any other great languages for that? I'd especially like
it if they tended to make fairly "native" looking stuff...

Anyway thanks for all the suggestion about encryption. I'm not so crazy
about "mounting encrypted volumes", I'd really like some that just made an
archive or encrypted versions of the original files, like that blowfish
app.

--
QUOTEBLOG: http://kisrael.com SKEPTIC MORTALITY: http://kisrael.com/mortal
"No why. Just here." -John Cage, Life Magazine's "Why are we here"