cellphone headset hack

1 view

Kirk Is

Jun 10, 2006, 6:08:39 PM6/10/06

I bought a handsfree thing for my cellphone. I don't like those things
that cling to your ear, so I usually go for one that's like a onesided
pair of walkman headphones, with a microphone hanging down (Note to self:
they work better when the mute button isn't accidentally pressed)

My hack is that after the little plastic piece that goes against my head
on the non-earphone size fell off, all that was left was a little ball
joint that was very painful without the missing piece. ObHack, I had a
decorative round pin/badge thing (like were so big in the 80s new wave
and/or punk fandoms) that had lost its pin, and this nestles well between
the plastic ball joint and my delicate head... it even has a little rim
that makes it less likely to slide off.

The downside is it's a seperate piece to lose, so I'm open to further
suggestions...

Nice to see a little traffic here. I gues it kicks around, oldtimers who
still usenet and don't remove it from their subscribed list...

--
QUOTEBLOG: http://kisrael.com SKEPTIC MORTALITY: http://kisrael.com/mortal
"Anyone who says life is short really isn't paying attention." --March 4 2001

Eli the Bearded

Jun 16, 2006, 8:03:28 PM6/16/06
In alt.hackers, Kirk Is <kis...@sunfire12.eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:
> ObHack, I had a decorative round pin/badge thing (like were so big in the
> 80s new wave and/or punk fandoms) that had lost its pin, and this nestles
> well between the plastic ball joint and my delicate head... it even has a
> little rim that makes it less likely to slide off.
>
> The downside is it's a seperate piece to lose, so I'm open to further
> suggestions...

So are you attaching it, or just slipping it in place when putting on
the headset?

Myself, I'd gut the handset of an old (these days) ma bell phone and
put the headset in there. Then just hold in place with your shoulder,
optionally using one of the stick-on shoulder pads.

ObHack:
New (at long last) computer system at work. Per my standard I installed
linux on it. It is one of very few linux desktops at $COMPANY, but
operations here being fairly flexible on what people can use, and my
work being Unix based, no one raised an eyebrow. A certain percentage
of the servers are linux, and to keep in step with those I used the
current office standard distrobution: SuSE 10.

Thing is, my new computer (but not my old) is a 64 bit CPU. Whenever
possible I installed both 64 and 32 bit packages, but now I'm finding
compiling and running stuff to be tricky. In some cases (eg mplayer)
getting the latest version, as opposed to the source package I had
lying around helps. But even with mplayer the 64 bit version won't
play some important formats (wmv) as only 32bit codec dlls are
available.

I did some research on building a 32bit version, but the suggestion
in the mplayerhq FAQ (configure --cc="gcc -m32" --as="as --32" \
--with-extralibdir=/usr/lib) didn't work. Too much of the code has
#ifdef stuff that opts for 64bit code even with those options (gcc
bug? mplayer bug? I don't know).

Other suggestions I saw had people using 32bit chroot'ed environments.
Ugh.

Here's what I got to work: took the mplayer binary from my old box,
copied it to the new, ran 'ldd mplayer', found the missing libraries
and installed them in a new /usr/local/lib32 directory, and made a
wrapper script mplayer32:

#!/bin/sh
# Wrapper for 32bit mplayer (needed for 32bit codecs)
# 16 Jun 2006
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib32 ; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
mplayer=/usr/local/bin32/mplayer
exec $mplayer "$@"

And that works. No jail, but it does depend on having a precompiled
version (and required libs).

Anyone have tips for the build-it-yourself kinda guy with respect to
x86_64? I've rebuilt my favorite window manager (sawfish) for this
platform, but it doesn't work as expected. It might be just looking
for files in all the wrong places, but an strace to show the files
being opened crashes.

Elijah
------
and my berkeley db programs segfault on database open