Under-rated Mike Campbell? discuss.

Path

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99
Mike Campbell of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers is one
of my favorite, very tasty guitar players. He never seems
to overplay or underplay, always just right. And for that
matter Tom hisownself is a very good rhythm guitar player
as well, and good rhythm players are becoming a lost breed.

anyhow, anyone know any of Mike's licks, gear, prefs and
such?

just wondering.

-**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?a ****-
Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser - FREE -

DJMangin

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99
>anyhow, anyone know any of Mike's licks, gear, prefs and
>
>such?

I've played in a couple bands where we did "breakdown" and "Running down a
dream" Both of which are great TP&TH songs, and the latter is one of Campbells
best riffs IMHO.

Breakdown as well, since, again IMO, TP doesn't do enough stuff in a blues vein

mcl

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99
I've long admired Campbell, for the reasons mentioned above. One of his
better known tracks, (although some people may not know he co-wrote it,) is
The Boys of Summer by Don Henley. There was a great sidebar in Guitar Player
years ago that detailed how he got his sound on that track - I've looked but
can't find the issue anymore.

For details on his current setup, check out last month's Guitar Player. As
you might expect, it's mainly vintage gear.

Samuel Bethune

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99

Path wrote in message ...

>Mike Campbell of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers is one
>of my favorite, very tasty guitar players. He never seems
>to overplay or underplay, always just right. And for that
>matter Tom hisownself is a very good rhythm guitar player
>as well, and good rhythm players are becoming a lost breed.
>
>anyhow, anyone know any of Mike's licks, gear, prefs and
>such?

Check out the May 1999 issue of Guitar Player. There's a very good article
on Petty and Campbell which discusses their instruments and gear in detail,
as well as Campbell's home studio, where the Echo album was recorded. You
can't miss this one.......Tom & Mike are on the cover!

Sam

david esmond

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99

> For details on his current setup, check out last month's Guitar Player. As
> you might expect, it's mainly vintage gear.

and as you might NOT expect lhe uses a lot of solidstate amps (at least on
this album).........