RPM and Robben Ford

Chris Conway

Sep 16, 1992, 6:45:39 AM9/16/92
Any comments/opinions on the following:

RPM Guitar Method (Books and videos),

Robben Ford's Blues book/cassette combination. (sorry, I can't
remember the actual title)

Chris.

Elliott New

Sep 16, 1992, 9:57:08 AM9/16/92

Robben Ford has two book/cassette lessons. One has been out for several years
(I think it's called Robben Ford - Blues Hotlines). It takes you thru a
long solo that he plays, part by part, explaining the theory behind the lick,
and plays it slowly. Then, up to speed. It's pretty good, esp. if you like
Robben Ford.

The newest one is called Robben Ford "Blues Rhythms". It is fantastic.
He goes thru about 15 different blues groove, showing you all sorts of
neat chord voicings to play. Great for learning some blues comping.

Elliott New

John Finley

Sep 18, 1992, 9:12:01 AM9/18/92

funny you should mention it, i just picked up Robben Ford's video "Blues and
Beyond" (or something like that)...i think it's from REH video...i'd say the
vast bulk of it consisted of Robben jamming, which is fine by me cause i think
he's one of the best players alive...check him out in concert...there was some
informational material, but not a whole lot...mostly, you can listen to him
play and try to pick up on his phrasing...the book it came with did include
transcriptions to about half the solos he played on the video...all in all, i
like it, but not as well as two other videos: Larry Carlton's and
Eric Johnson's...like Robben Ford's, these video's give you insight into
the player's approach to the instrument rather than just feeding you a bunch of
licks...but i felt like i came away with more from the Carlton and Johnson
videos than from Robben Ford's...

i haven't heard about his book/cassette combination...please post the title
and publisher of it when you find out what they are...

johncfinley
jo...@frodo.b30.ingr.com 205.730.3774

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly
enforced." - Frank Zappa

"If only god would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit
in my name in a Swiss bank." - Woody Allen