obscure stomp boxes

SotR

Nov 8, 2009, 2:44:54 PM11/8/09
Back in the mid-70's I went to buy a Big Muff. I didn't know what they
were but saw a kid playing guitar and he stepped on a pedal and made
his sound all fuzzy. I explained this to the store clerk and he said
it was probably a Big Muff. I said I wanted one, but he pulled out
this new line of pedals he stocked. I didn't know anything about FX
back then and let him talk me into it. It was called a "Dirt Box". I
can't remember the maker but it was Japanese and looked exactly like
an Ibanez Tube Screamer, shape, color and layout, except that it had a
standard round foot button.
It actually sounded very harsh and machine gun-ish, very staccato
clipping. But it was loud and distorted so I thought "this is what I
was looking for".
Then I later heard it against a Big Muff and really regretted buying
it. It was ok for a limited (brutal) effect but not a good all around
distortion tone.
Anyway, has anyone ever heard of or remember this particular pedal? I
have no idea what ever happened to it. I did some Google time but
can't find any reference or pics of this specific pedal. It just
popped into my head last night and got me thinking back.

jtees4

Nov 8, 2009, 4:29:44 PM11/8/09

I had a Fox Fuzz back then with the out of phase switch...never heard
of them at the time, but man that thing screamed, and the phase thing
brought in some crazy overtone action. After I started using that my
friends and bandmates started calling me "Uncle fuzz". Oh yeah...the
pedal had real red fuzz on it.

****
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=789610

Ghoul

Nov 8, 2009, 5:02:59 PM11/8/09

Those were very cool! I wish I had all my old boxs!
I've added a pic of my stomp box collection to my photobucket page.
Check it out.
http://photobucket.com/Lasergoon

Jerry Shaw

Nov 8, 2009, 8:53:23 PM11/8/09

"Ghoul" <gh...@aol.com> wrote in message

(snip)

I've added a pic of my stomp box collection to my photobucket page.
Check it out.
http://photobucket.com/Lasergoon

Wow, I have only one of those - the Little Big Muff. What are the two
unlabled pedals just to the left of the wah?

Ghoul

Nov 8, 2009, 9:29:54 PM11/8/09
On Nov 8, 5:53 pm, "Jerry Shaw" <jerrys...@uniteone.net> wrote:
> "Ghoul" <gh...@aol.com> wrote in message

> (snip)
>
> I've added a pic of my stomp box collection to my photobucket page.
> Check it out.http://photobucket.com/Lasergoon

> Wow, I have only one of those - the Little Big Muff. What are the two
> unlabled pedals just to the left of the wah?

The top one is "The Fillmore" overdrive pedal. The other is a
"Lovepedal Mini Valve" that they don't make any more.
Check out the old vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeQNHvkkAOY

Dr. Zontar

Nov 9, 2009, 8:36:29 AM11/9/09
On Nov 8, 2:44 pm, SotR <suitebarbershopquar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't know anything about FX
> back then and let him talk me into it. It was called a "Dirt Box". I
> can't remember the maker but it was Japanese and looked exactly like
> an Ibanez Tube Screamer, shape, color and layout, except that it had a
> standard round foot button.

Hmmm... Matchless made an overdrive called "Dirt Box" in the 90's, but
that definitely isn't what you're looking for. If it was the 70's and
Japanese, maybe it was made by Maxon, or Shin-Ei?

> It actually sounded very harsh and machine gun-ish, very staccato
> clipping. But it was loud and distorted so I thought "this is what I
> was looking for".
> Then I later heard it against a Big Muff and really regretted buying
> it. It was ok for a limited (brutal) effect but not a good all around
> distortion tone.

Ooh. I may have to start looking for one. I'm always looking for
brutal fuzz.

> Anyway, has anyone ever heard of or remember this particular pedal? I
> have no idea what ever happened to it. I did some Google time but
> can't find any reference or pics of this specific pedal. It just
> popped into my head last night and got me thinking back.

The fact that it was very clipped and harsh makes me think it was made
by Shin-Ei. They were known for that.

- Rich

ed s

Nov 9, 2009, 10:10:47 AM11/9/09

Metal Muff with Top Boost is brutal fuzz.. ed

White Spirit

Nov 9, 2009, 10:23:02 AM11/9/09
SotR wrote:

> Back in the mid-70's I went to buy a Big Muff. I didn't know what they
> were but saw a kid playing guitar and he stepped on a pedal and made
> his sound all fuzzy. I explained this to the store clerk and he said
> it was probably a Big Muff. I said I wanted one, but he pulled out
> this new line of pedals he stocked. I didn't know anything about FX
> back then and let him talk me into it. It was called a "Dirt Box". I
> can't remember the maker but it was Japanese and looked exactly like
> an Ibanez Tube Screamer, shape, color and layout, except that it had a
> standard round foot button.

> It actually sounded very harsh and machine gun-ish, very staccato
> clipping. But it was loud and distorted so I thought "this is what I
> was looking for".

Sounds like a Boss DS-1...

TheChris

Nov 9, 2009, 3:45:12 PM11/9/09
White Spirit <wsp...@homechoice.co.uk> wrote in

The DS-1 is harsh?

White Spirit

Nov 9, 2009, 6:22:21 PM11/9/09
TheChris wrote:

> White Spirit <wsp...@homechoice.co.uk> wrote in

>>> It actually sounded very harsh and machine gun-ish, very staccato

>>> clipping. But it was loud and distorted so I thought "this is what I
>>> was looking for".

>> Sounds like a Boss DS-1...

> The DS-1 is harsh?

I think so. It made a decent booster when I was in a death metal band
but for generating distortion, I found it to be horrible.

Jon

Nov 9, 2009, 8:59:32 PM11/9/09

My favorite was the Maestro Fuzz. I still have one and a Maestro
Phaser as well. One of the dials says "Balls"

Message has been deleted

Merely my opinion

Nov 9, 2009, 9:32:24 PM11/9/09

SotR

Nov 10, 2009, 1:10:51 AM11/10/09
On Nov 9, 6:32 pm, Merely my opinion <lafaexami...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Nov/Stomping_Grounds...

This "Dirt Box" was nothing like what has been suggested thus far. It
was an island unto it's self. Like I said, it actually sounded
terrible but in today's brutal distortion world it would be useful.
I think it was some Japanese start up trying to copy the Tube Screamer
but fell far short. I wish I could remember the name brand but I
can't. And can't even remember when I last had it but it was certainly
in the early 80's. I do remember a buddy had all of his gear stolen
and I sold him my Alvarez Yari 12 string and lent him some pedals. And
I do remember never getting the pedals back so that is probably where
the Dirt Box went. A real pisser too because most of them were
original Electro-Harmonix pedals. Some of them go for hundreds of $$
nowadays.

Dr. Zontar

Nov 10, 2009, 8:24:53 AM11/10/09
On Nov 9, 6:22 pm, White Spirit <wspi...@homechoice.co.uk> wrote:

> I think so.  It made a decent booster when I was in a death metal band
> but for generating distortion, I found it to be horrible.

The DS-1 can be a little shrill with a strat. You really have to watch
the tone knob or you can get the "ice pick in the ears" effect. But
with an SG or LP, through a clean amp (with the bright switch OFF),
it's a pretty nice distortion.

- Rich

Dr. Zontar

Nov 10, 2009, 8:25:53 AM11/10/09
On Nov 9, 10:10 am, ed s <esham...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Metal Muff with Top Boost is brutal fuzz.. ed

I think my bass player has one. If so, I'll try it. Thanks.

- Rich

TheChris

Nov 10, 2009, 8:41:30 AM11/10/09
"Dr. Zontar" <drzo...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:8c8ccbd7-f133-42e0-beb1-
bcc56d...@v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com:

I learned the hard way to never turn that knob past 9 o'clock :)

Honestly, I always felt it to be a smooth distortion - unlike fuzz boxes
or my Rat.... Now, THAT'S harsh :)

--
Christopher Bell
http://www.myspacecom/bellboudreaux

______________________________
| |
| Any Amp! |
| ________________________ |
| |!!o Q Q Q� Q Q Q :: | |
|==============================|
Linux user #497844

Stephen Cowell

Nov 10, 2009, 8:58:41 AM11/10/09

"SotR" <suitebarber...@gmail.com> wrote

> It actually sounded very harsh and machine gun-ish, very staccato
> clipping. But it was loud and distorted so I thought "this is what I
> was looking for".

Sounds like the infamous Sears Shin-Ei black bump.
Gnarliest sputtering fuzz available.
__
Steve
.

Merely my opinion

Nov 10, 2009, 5:07:07 PM11/10/09
"...in today's brutal distortion world..."

Man, is _that_ ever a subjective phrase...

Can you roughly describe when this supposedly began
and thus how long its been going on?

Can you give a classic, relevent 11/2009 example?

To me the best distortion ever recorded
was BOTH *Denny* *Diaz* _and_
Elliot Randall's 'Reelin in the years.
Chops and tone...a la Tele!

Mid-70's...video- laughing- "MORE TAMBOURINE!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsrI_mIT6PQ

For mechanical demonstration purposes, this lil feller
lays down the basics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhdRvVAlxY8

SotR

Nov 11, 2009, 3:24:31 PM11/11/09
On Nov 10, 5:58 am, "Stephen Cowell"
<stephenleeNOSPAMcow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "SotR" <suitebarbershopquar...@gmail.com> wrote

I Googled that name and the one hit that was not a porno site was to
Harmony Central. It appears the Shin-Ei was a uni-vibe copy. My pedal
was definitely hard distortion.

SotR

SotR

Nov 11, 2009, 3:35:37 PM11/11/09

*****To me the best distortion ever recorded

was BOTH *Denny* *Diaz* _and_
Elliot Randall's 'Reelin in the years.

Chops and tone...a la Tele! *******

That's what I am trying to say, this Dirt Box pedal that I had did NOT
have a sweet sound. Although it had musical timbre, the clipping was
something like shaking big ball bearings in a metal trash can. Very
hard to describe because I can't think of another product I've heard
that had the same sound.
SotR

Merely my opinion

Nov 11, 2009, 4:51:05 PM11/11/09
> SotR- Hide quoted text -
> choice,

Yeah, it's remarkable how on the one hand, competition
gives choice, stands to control pricing and heralds
innovation- but on the other hand, *SO* much complete
_______ bombards us. It gives value to CONTRAST not
COMPARISON. That's the _potential_ value of sites
like Harmony Central and even usenet...

At any rate, I'm pretty sure that the Dias 'Reelin'
In The Years tone was pure guitar and amp
HOWEVER, we all know that whole AC/DC Angus
"just my guitar and amp" trip is entirely impractical
volume-wise...

EXCEPT perhaps where a a huge slew of super low
wattage amps that've come out over the past 5-10
years (and every day now it seems) are concerned.

To be brutally honest with myself "publicly", the two
amps I now own have NO business in my bedroom studio-
I'm not selling them now however, as I'd get $$$ raped
as a seller. At one point, I even N.O.S. tubed one of
them. Really, a waste. I got caught up in the
gear/tube/GAS bit -not as heavily as many, but more
than I'm now comfortable with, in retrospect. Honesty.

Now that computing speeds have advanced and almost
all of us who GIVE / GAVE a crap about electric guitar
playing are going the way of the flesh, products like
Fractal's AxeFX are becoming perfected and THE
way for us.

Final comment/question...

*WHAT* in God's name does Maxon think it's doing
selling tiny lil stomp boxes in the $400+ range?!!!

Stephen Cowell

Nov 11, 2009, 8:48:35 PM11/11/09

"SotR" <suitebarber...@gmail.com> wrote

> On Nov 10, 5:58 am, "Stephen Cowell"
> <stephenleeNOSPAMcow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "SotR" <suitebarbershopquar...@gmail.com> wrote
> >
> > > It actually sounded very harsh and machine gun-ish, very staccato
> > > clipping. But it was loud and distorted so I thought "this is what I
> > > was looking for".
> >
> > Sounds like the infamous Sears Shin-Ei black bump.
> > Gnarliest sputtering fuzz available.
>
> I Googled that name and the one hit that was not a porno site was to
> Harmony Central. It appears the Shin-Ei was a uni-vibe copy. My pedal
> was definitely hard distortion.

Didn't everyone have a Black Bump?

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/sears/fuzztone

Cost about $15... really crappy. I still have the case to one...
makes a great footswitch holder.
__
Steve
.

SotR

Mar 22, 2014, 4:35:45 PM3/22/14
OMG I found the pedal after all this time. Tried a less specific search and found this page. This is the pedal I was talking about. I guess it was made by Maxon/Ibanez as some suggested. Who knows, since my pedal was stolen this could be the very one LOL.
SotR
http://s456592474.website-start.de/ibanez-effects/rarities-prototypes/the-dirt-box/