Guitar bass rolloff knob

tbo...@emeraldnet.net

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
I have an idea to help with my overly woofie neck pickups and need some
feedback. Most guitar tone controls roll off treble. I often want the reverse
on neck pickups and have been thinking of putting a cap in series with the
pickup with a pot around it for control and bypass. To those with more
knowledge than I-
1) would it work?
2) any suggestions for cap and pot values?

Thanks- T

Chris Mohrbacher

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
It would work, but how well is an open question. For the values I would
start with a .001 cap and a 1 Meg pot, and I'd first try wiring the thing
BEFORE the volume control, e.g. between the pickup and the volume control.
If the bass rolloff was too drastic, then I'd try a larger cap &/or a
smaller pot.

Chris Mohrbacher

doov

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 14:12:30 -0800, tbo...@emeraldnet.net wrote:

>I have an idea to help with my overly woofie neck pickups and need some
>feedback. Most guitar tone controls roll off treble. I often want the reverse
>on neck pickup

I believe that the G&L Legacy may have a circuit similar to what you
are looking for. One tone control rolls of treble and the other rolls
off bass (for all pickup combinations).

Sorry I don't know more, but this might be worth looking into.

Ernie

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
tbo...@emeraldnet.net wrote:

> I have an idea to help with my overly woofie neck pickups and need some
> feedback. Most guitar tone controls roll off treble. I often want the reverse
> on neck pickups and have been thinking of putting a cap in series with the
> pickup with a pot around it for control and bypass. To those with more
> knowledge than I-
> 1) would it work?
> 2) any suggestions for cap and pot values?
>
> Thanks- T

G&L guitars come with one tone pot to roll off treble and another to
roll off base. Open one up and see what they did.

Jake

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
In the mid-seventies both Gibson & Bill Lawrence were experimenting with
chokes wired to tone pots to roll off bass. Bill Lawrence offered
something called a Tone-L-Filter which was essentially a 1.4 henry choke
wired exactly like the cap would normally be. BL recommended their own 1
meg *special taper* pots for this system, so 1.4 henries may not be the
best coil value if you use your stock pots.

Gibson used a couple of different circuits to provide treble roll-off. The
L6S had master bass & treble controls instead of the more conventional one
tone control per pickup arrangement. The treble was just like a standard
tone control (250K audio taper pot & .02mfd cap). The bass control
replaced the cap with .01 cap in series with a choke. The schematic does
not list the choke value. It is simply marked 70-062, which I can only
assume ia a Gibson part #. (probably long since out of production)

The Howard Roberts model modified this arrangement by using .03 mfd caps on
both bass & treble. The choke is # 70-442, and the free terminal of the
pot is attached between the cap & choke.

The only one of these set-ups I've personally played is the L6S. Although
I'm quite fond of that particular model, the effect of the bass control
(treble roll-of) is not particularly dramatic. I expect that is typical of
a passive control.

You didn't mention what kind of guitar or pickups you're using, but IMHO,
humbuckers are just about useless in the neck position. If you have
humbuckers with 4 wires, a coil-splitting switch is another option. You
might also consider active tone controls(expensive). If you can stand to
put a battery in your axe (sacrilage), they do offer a lot more control
than the passive knobs. While you're experimenting, bypass the tone pot
altogether. You won't lose any bass, but you will gain some treble which
may balance it out.

tbo...@emeraldnet.net wrote in article
<35EB1FCD...@emeraldnet.net>...

SEFSTRAT

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
G&L Legacy Specials have this now...one tone pot is treble rolloff, the other
is bass rolloff.

Steve
SEFSTRAT

APinne1002

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
>tbo...@emeraldnet.net wrote:

>I have an idea to help with my overly woofie neck pickups and need some
>feedback. Most guitar tone controls roll off treble. I often want the reverse
>on neck pickups and have been thinking of putting a cap in series with the
>pickup with a pot around it for control and bypass. To those with more
>knowledge than I-
>1) would it work?
>2) any suggestions for cap and pot values?
>
>Thanks- T

It does work. I have an Ibanez RG 550 that I did it to. I left the treble cut
pot in there too. Craig Anderton has a book Do It Yourself Projects For
Guitarists that describes it. He installs the cap across the two outside
terminals on the pot. The values in the book are: 500K pot and the cap can be
from 470pf to .002uf depending opn the amp your feeding and the volume pot
value. I don't remember the values I used but with a little experimentation you
can tweak it to what you want. I thought it worked great. It tightened up the
low end real nice.
Jerry

Marshall The Sound Of Rock!

j_walke...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
In article <199809010352...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

I can say from experience that this works really, really well. On my guitar I
call it the "Thickness" control. Mine is a 1meg linear taper pot (reverse
audio taper would be even better) in parallel with a 220pF cap. I've used
500K before, but don't ground the CCW leg. With this control my bridge
humbucker can be continuously varied from hot Gibson to 60s Rickenbaker
territory. You won't find a real Fender sound in between, because that comes
from the fender pickup's extreme resonant peak. This thing is also great for
acheiving that "clean up the amp from the control on the guitar" thing. I
recommend it highly for humbucker or P90 equipped guitars.

Jon Steele

The Fuchs Family

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
to tbo...@emeraldnet.net
Try a One Meg and .001 ceramic cap. Should be fine. You can experiment with the
cap values,which will change the point at which the bass rolls off. A