Radio Shack Catalogs online

McGarnagle

Jun 10, 2009, 1:42:45 AM6/10/09

I don't know if this has ever been brought up here:

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/

Click on "catalogs" and see every page of almost every Radio Shack
catalog.

This brought back many memories of my youth. The Radio Shack catalog
was the bomb back in the day and I would look through every page when
it first came out every year.

Les Cargill

Jun 10, 2009, 2:01:22 AM6/10/09

I remember two things about Radio Shack: One, they had parts in
cardboard boxes on banquet tables. Two, the "mystery box" full
of random parts. I am convinced Dad bought those to teach me about
electronics.

Okay, three - buying 6L6 with gold pins. Wonder if any of those lasted?

And Supertape.

Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise,
ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice
red uniforms - Oh damn!

--
Les Cargill

Jim

Jun 10, 2009, 2:16:15 AM6/10/09

Just what I need, another way to waste time on the computer!

But seriously, this is a cool site. I *distinctly* remember some of
the copy. Like the "color organ" from the 70's. I just found an 8"
Utah (radio shack painted and labeled) guitar speaker that I have from
1973. Sold for $9.95 back then.

McGarnagle

Jun 10, 2009, 4:05:11 AM6/10/09
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 02:01:22 -0400, Les Cargill <lcar...@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

>McGarnagle wrote:
>> I don't know if this has ever been brought up here:
>>
>> http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/
>>
>> Click on "catalogs" and see every page of almost every Radio Shack
>> catalog.
>>
>> This brought back many memories of my youth. The Radio Shack catalog
>> was the bomb back in the day and I would look through every page when
>> it first came out every year.
>
>I remember two things about Radio Shack: One, they had parts in
>cardboard boxes on banquet tables. Two, the "mystery box" full
>of random parts. I am convinced Dad bought those to teach me about
>electronics.
>
>Okay, three - buying 6L6 with gold pins. Wonder if any of those lasted?
>
>And Supertape.

Yup, whenever I would buy an LP, I would then buy a RS red 8 track
tape and record it. This used to piss my dad off -

"Now that you took me to the record store I need you to take me to
Radio Shack and get an 8 track tape to record it to."

"Why didn't you just buy the 8 track in the first place? You're
wasting your damn money."

...but I knew all to well how much crap 8 tracks were and how they
started to self-destruct the moment you started playing them.

McGarnagle

Jun 10, 2009, 4:10:56 AM6/10/09
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 23:16:15 -0700, Jim <j...@askmebeforeyousend.com>
wrote:

Did anybody ever listen to the "stereo" sound effect tapes Radio Shack
used to sell? My dad always bought those.

They were stereo demonstration tapes and funny. The ones I liked best
were the Russian Roulette when they slid the gun across the table, the
ping pong match and the shopping depts when you went up on the
elevator. Wish I still had those.

Les Cargill

Jun 10, 2009, 4:26:36 AM6/10/09
McGarnagle wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 02:01:22 -0400, Les Cargill <lcar...@cfl.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>> McGarnagle wrote:
>>> I don't know if this has ever been brought up here:
>>>
>>> http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/
>>>
>>> Click on "catalogs" and see every page of almost every Radio Shack
>>> catalog.
>>>
>>> This brought back many memories of my youth. The Radio Shack catalog
>>> was the bomb back in the day and I would look through every page when
>>> it first came out every year.
>> I remember two things about Radio Shack: One, they had parts in
>> cardboard boxes on banquet tables. Two, the "mystery box" full
>> of random parts. I am convinced Dad bought those to teach me about
>> electronics.
>>
>> Okay, three - buying 6L6 with gold pins. Wonder if any of those lasted?
>>
>> And Supertape.
>

> Yup, whenever I would buy an LP, I would then buy a RS red 8 track
> tape and record it. This used to piss my dad off -
>
> "Now that you took me to the record store I need you to take me to
> Radio Shack and get an 8 track tape to record it to."
>
> "Why didn't you just buy the 8 track in the first place? You're
> wasting your damn money."

VRRRRRRRRR*PONK* .

I remember the cost of the LP plus the blank tape being less
than the 8 track version.

> ...but I knew all to well how much crap 8 tracks were and how they
> started to self-destruct the moment you started playing them.

Yessir. I used to collect dead ones from friends. You could repack
them, then dub 'em off on reel to reel, and give 'em back.

Those catalogs are awesome. Find me a catalog with numbers
in units of microseconds today.

Also - the 1978 catalog - that guy holding the CB mic looks
familiar. Was he one of the troopers in the Blues Brothers?
I think he's called Charles Napier.

http://content6.flixster.com/photo/67/53/98/6753988_tml.jpg

He's probably not the same guy as this Charles Napier

http://www.historickarachi.com/images/Charles%20Napier.jpg

--
Les Cargill

Les Cargill

Jun 10, 2009, 4:29:06 AM6/10/09

HA!

"General Talbot (Tall) Story: Charles Napier

Known to some as 'The CB Guy' from countless Radio Shack ads in the
'70's, Chuck Napier is a beloved icon of craggy good humor."

http://www.tvdads.com/roger/roger4.html

Yeah, it's him.

--
Les Cargill

Jim

Jun 10, 2009, 10:23:53 AM6/10/09

I have a couple of setup CD's in 5.1. There's one with a tractor driving
through a field, and cows mooing. It drives my dog nuts!

JP

Jun 10, 2009, 1:45:15 PM6/10/09
wrote:

>McGarnagle wrote:

Battery Club...

Claude V. Lucas

Jun 10, 2009, 1:55:51 PM6/10/09
In article <39sv255g3e431no5o...@4ax.com>,

The Battery Club seems to have taken the last swirl down the bowl.

RS wanted to charge me > $20 for 4 LR44s...

No wonder they're vanishing.

RichL

Jun 10, 2009, 3:00:44 PM6/10/09

The catalog that used to absorb my attention more than any other was the
Lafayette one. Then I first moved to the DC area oh, so many years ago,
there was a Lafayette Electronics store right down the street from me.
I could get most of the stuff in the catalog there and place an order
for the stuff they didn't have in stock.

They didn't have the Designated Hitter back then either...ah, the good
old days!

WB

Jun 10, 2009, 6:57:08 PM6/10/09
McGarnagle wrote:

> This brought back many memories of my youth.

I have a couple of old Lafatette, Olson Electronics, and
Heathkit manuals from 58 thru 70's ( the end of HiFi Quad ! )
I collected years ago from ebay ... I don't see many of them
posted any more.

They are great readers in the head ..

Jim

Jun 10, 2009, 7:05:28 PM6/10/09

How 'bout McGee Radio out of Kansas City? I bought stuff through them,
and still have some catalogs.

PAIA?

SWTCP?

WB

Jun 11, 2009, 11:23:52 AM6/11/09
Jim wrote:

> How 'bout McGee Radio out of Kansas City? I bought stuff through them,
> and still have some catalogs.
>
> PAIA?
>
> SWTCP?

Never heard of those ..

Stephen Cowell

Jun 11, 2009, 11:26:42 AM6/11/09

"WB" <nos...@no.com> wrote in message

> Jim wrote:
>>
>> How 'bout McGee Radio out of Kansas City? I bought stuff through them,
>> and still have some catalogs.

Speaker pulp stroke-book... every cheesy speaker
you could imagine, and some good ones, too.

>> PAIA?

Still around... modular analog synths, theremin kits.

>> SWTCP?

Not sure... forgot that one.
__
Steve
.

Jim

Jun 11, 2009, 3:29:48 PM6/11/09

See: http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/

Some nice amp kits in the early 70's, in addition to the digital stuff.
They did some of the Popular Electronics kits, like the "plastic
tiger" and "universal tiger," both of which my dad built. My first
guitar amp that he built me had a plastic tiger power amp.

Dad also built me a stereo amp with two plastic tiger output stages, two
hifi preamp channels, and the preamp channels out of this thing:
http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/Catalog1971a/Page12.jpg

He build a stereo Universal Tiger for himself
http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/PopularElectronics/Oct1970/PE_Oct1970.htm
But I don't remember him ever really using it.

JP

Jun 11, 2009, 4:57:52 PM6/11/09
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:00:44 -0400, "RichL" <rple...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

My third electronic device was a Lafayette walkie talkie on channel 11
or 12...I turned it on and actually connected with a CB guy a few
blocks away. I ended up joining the CB club and going to meetings. I
got a lot of knowledge from that guy. I was about 5th grade or so at
the time...my first was a Philco tube multi band SW radio. I have
never seen one like it since. I bought an antenna kit and put it on
the roof. Man, that thing would bring in all sorts of stuff.Spent many
an evening listening to SW..then I got a jap transistor radio, found a
rock station and the rest is history...lol

DGDevin

Jun 11, 2009, 9:55:44 PM6/11/09
RichL wrote:

> The catalog that used to absorb my attention more than any other was
> the Lafayette one. Then I first moved to the DC area oh, so many
> years ago, there was a Lafayette Electronics store right down the
> street from me. I could get most of the stuff in the catalog there
> and place an order for the stuff they didn't have in stock.

My old man was an electronics junkie, so our house always had catalogs from
RS, Lafayette, Heathkit and so on kicking around. It got worse when he got
into ham radio, my mom was just thrilled when he announced he was putting up
a sixty-foot tower in the back yard....

Stephen Cowell

Jun 11, 2009, 11:16:40 PM6/11/09

"Jim" <j...@askmebeforeyousend.com> wrote

> Stephen Cowell wrote:
>> "WB" <nos...@no.com> wrote
>>
>> Not sure... forgot that one.
>
> See: http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/
>
> Some nice amp kits in the early 70's, in addition to the digital stuff.
> They did some of the Popular Electronics kits, like the "plastic tiger"
> and "universal tiger," both of which my dad built. My first guitar amp
> that he built me had a plastic tiger power amp.

Just a bit before my time... I just thumbed through a 1982
Byte magazine I found in storage, they were gone by then.
Got my first micro (TRS Model 1) about 1981.
__
Steve
.

Jim

Jun 12, 2009, 12:12:22 AM6/12/09

I used to have fun at Radio Shack. Type in a couple of lines of BASIC,
and walk away with the screen scrolling RADIO SHACK SUCKS!

JP

Jun 13, 2009, 2:17:39 PM6/13/09

Just getting out of college and the IBM XP with 2 180k floppies, sorry
dot matrix printer, and a green monitor hit the market for about $5K