The Blackburn Story -- must see

Phil S.

Sep 8, 2008, 9:41:24 PM9/8/08
The action starts at around the 3 minute mark. About 20 minutes long.
http://www.techtubevalves.com/about_us/film_reels.php

Phil S.

Sep 8, 2008, 10:05:04 PM9/8/08

"Phil S." <psymonds...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> The action starts at around the 3 minute mark. About 20 minutes long.
> http://www.techtubevalves.com/about_us/film_reels.php
I didn't read the website until I finished the video. It appears someone is
"home" at the Blackburn site making....tubes. Could this really be?

WB

Sep 9, 2008, 12:11:52 AM9/9/08
Phil S. wrote:
> The action starts at around the 3 minute mark. About 20 minutes long.
> http://www.techtubevalves.com/about_us/film_reels.php

executive summary please.

Phil S.

Sep 9, 2008, 9:08:35 AM9/9/08

"WB" <war...@ppp.com> wrote in message

Watch the maufacturing process of the 1960's. Demo shows EL84 and ECC82
under factory production. Beaver shots of parts before assembly. Several
ways of making a cathode. Shows older hand assembly and modern mechanised
assembly with machinery closeups and slo-mo. Nifty Brit narrator.

Also very important, learn the proper pronunciation for "Mullard" -- sort of
like the duck (mallard), with a modest emphasis on the "muh" + "lard" (like
the pig fat), not "lerd" like we Yanks like to do..

Note many workers handling materials with bare hands, no eye protection,
etc., and little regard for the potential toxicity. Casual observation
suggests some jobs were reserved for women only and others for men only.

More important:, website announces the production of modern subs for ECC81,
ECC82, and ECC83, all made at the Blackburn site under the supervision of
former Philips employees, slated for release 3rd week of September. Sample
pictures -- looks like no other valve/tube you've ever seen. Branded:
TechTube, Blackburn MicroTech Solutions.

"But now with renewed interest in analogue devices, the former Mullard site
at Blackburn will once again include thermionic valves for radio
amplification as one of it's key product lines."

WB

Sep 9, 2008, 9:28:35 AM9/9/08
I will watch !

boardjunkie

Sep 9, 2008, 11:29:30 AM9/9/08
On Sep 8, 10:05 pm, "Phil S." <psymonds_no_s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Phil S." <psymonds_no_s...@comcast.net> wrote in message

The potential new offerings sure look different don't they? That won't
score points with the vintage crowd.....

JP

Sep 9, 2008, 12:32:59 PM9/9/08

Cool reel Phil...

WB

Sep 10, 2008, 9:04:22 AM9/10/08
Phil S. wrote:
> The action starts at around the 3 minute mark. About 20 minutes long.
> http://www.techtubevalves.com/about_us/film_reels.php

This is the actual video file :

http://www.techtubevalves.com/about_us/the_blackburn_story_250kbps.flv

you can down load and view locally.

boardjunkie

Sep 11, 2008, 1:36:54 AM9/11/08
On Sep 8, 10:05 pm, "Phil S." <psymonds_no_s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Phil S." <psymonds_no_s...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Hmmmm......now this is getting interesting. I had one of my guitar
shop customers over tonite and happened to mention the possibility of
the Blackburn factory producing tubes again and showed him that site.
He wasn't too thrilled with it. It looks like they stole technology
and ideas that he was planning to use in an attempt to get US tube
production happening again. We both agreed that the internal
construction is goofy with no real support other than the spot welds
at the pins. Stay tuned......I'm sure I'll get more details soon on
what happens with this.

JP

Sep 11, 2008, 11:51:36 AM9/11/08

Keep us informed please! J.P.