Recommendation for a colour printer

Les Desser

Jun 10, 2009, 10:42:49 AM6/10/09
I have a friend who is an illustrator - does hand drawings, scans them
in and then does final touching up on Photoshop.

He has asked me for a recommendation for a suitable colour printer that
will do accurate prints.

Volume is not high - maybe 25 - 50 pages a month.

My gut feel is that he would be best served with an inkjet printer but I
don't have a clue as to what features to look out for. I presume that
the ability to calibrate the printer is important. Cost is an issue so
not too expensive.

Can anyone recommend a suitable printer?

Thanks
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

Message has been deleted

Les Desser

Jun 10, 2009, 4:32:56 PM6/10/09
In article <31ov25d94mklvhije...@4ax.com>, Joel
<Jo...@NoSpam.com> Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:38:09 writes

>If your friend just want a good enough then get one of the Epson Inkjet
>printer for around $100-300

Thank you.

Any recommendations for actual models or at least what features to go
for?

Is it the regular printers or the Photo printers that he needs?

JD

Jun 10, 2009, 7:58:28 PM6/10/09
Les Desser wrote:
> In article <31ov25d94mklvhije...@4ax.com>, Joel
> <Jo...@NoSpam.com> Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:38:09 writes
>
>> If your friend just want a good enough then get one of the Epson
>> Inkjet printer for around $100-300
>
> Thank you.
>
> Any recommendations for actual models or at least what features to go for?
>
> Is it the regular printers or the Photo printers that he needs?

I use an Epson Stylus Photo R280 and it's a nice, inexpensive photo
printer. I paid $100. Sadly, it's been discontinued and replaced with
the Epson Artisan 50 Ink Jet Printer, also $100. It looks like the same
printer but I can't guarantee that. The cartridge numbers are different.

Don't be surprised by the Epson printer price. Mine prints a nice
photograph. Epson makes their money on the cartridges. Both these Epson
printers have six individual ink cartridges which is nice, you're not
throwing away all your colors when you run out of one.

But, the six individual cartridges cost more than the printer if you buy
the high capacity cartridges.

Your friend will have to decide if he needs a photo printer. I guess
that depends on the actual illustrations.

--
JD..

Message has been deleted

john

Jun 11, 2009, 11:45:44 AM6/11/09

You could also consider using an Epson printer with an aftermarket
continuous ink system - Google for these. They are much less
expensive to run.

Mike Russell

Jun 11, 2009, 2:47:51 PM6/11/09
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:45:44 +0100, john wrote:

Need to know more. Format size is probably the biggest factor to consider
at this time. Then permanance, color gamut, and general durability of
media.

If he just wants letter sized comps to show a customer, any inexpensive
inkjet will do a very good job.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com

Message has been deleted

Les Desser

Jun 11, 2009, 4:36:12 PM6/11/09
In article <110620091353459218%H...@snotmail.com>, High Priest
<H...@snotmail.com> Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:53:45 writes

>Les, I print photos for a professional (See hamilton-archives.com)
>whose signed, numbered prints sell for around $12,000 so you can
>imagine we are both _very_ fussy about quality.

[.....]

Thank you for your very detailed post and to all the others for their
suggestions and comments.

I've forwarded all the post. I'll be back if he has any queries.

Many thanks again.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mike Russell

Jun 12, 2009, 1:11:50 PM6/12/09
Epson's are my favorite as far as image quality and permananeces, and can
be very economical with a continuous ink system.

The quality of almost all of the recent inkjets is excellent. Hp printers
are convenient, though, and you'll never hear that (expensive) sound of the
jets cleaning themselves ever again, since for HP the heads are built into
the cart.

Message has been deleted

Mike Russell

Jun 12, 2009, 2:28:56 PM6/12/09
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:39:34 -0700, MO full name wrote:

> Sounds expensive (HP) and that refilling your own not practical.

Didn't mean to convey that impression. The newer Epson carts are chipped,
so you can't easily do refills - though there are ways around that. I have
an HP all-in-one that does a couple hundred 4x6 prints on a set of
cartridges, as well as all our normal printing (which is a relatively small
amount). New carts are about $40 or for both the larger black and white.
The best thing is no cleaning cycles, and no jets to get clogged.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Talker

Jun 12, 2009, 7:57:26 PM6/12/09
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:11:50 -0700, Mike Russell
<grou...@MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote:

>Epson's are my favorite as far as image quality and permananeces, and can
>be very economical with a continuous ink system.
>
>The quality of almost all of the recent inkjets is excellent. Hp printers
>are convenient, though, and you'll never hear that (expensive) sound of the
>jets cleaning themselves ever again, since for HP the heads are built into
>the cart.

That's why I prefer HP over the Epson...no more clogged heads. I
have an Epson R220 that I use exclusively for printing on CDs and
DVDs. I also have an HP Photosmart 7550 and a Kodak 1400 Pro (thermal
dye).
The cost of the cartridges is about the same for both the Epson
and the HP. If I buy the twin pack of color cartridges (One
tri-color, the other photocolor) and one black cartridge for my HP, it
costs about $72. If I buy the multicolor pack and one black cartridge
for the Epson. it costs about $84.
The only down side to the HP is that the color cartridge contains
three colors, so if one color runs out, you have to throw away the
other two colors in order to change to a new cartridge.

Talker

DavidA

Jun 12, 2009, 7:32:32 PM6/12/09

I just bought a Canon PixmaPro 9000. Cost around $450 maybe a bit
more than your friend wants to pay, but colour reproduction is superb
and prints up to A3 or 13"x19". I believe any of the Pixma range
produce good results.

David

Message has been deleted

Misifus

Jun 13, 2009, 10:40:58 PM6/13/09

Epson R1900

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

Message has been deleted

Dave

Jun 14, 2009, 9:11:42 AM6/14/09
Misifus wrote:

>Epson R1900

No Misfit, wrong..!
Never buy any printer where the printheads are not on the cartridge.

The cost of replacing the heads was nearly what I paid for the Epson
where after I started buying HP, and now I am using Canon.

important note...
When doing Pro Prints, I am making use of a profesional printer
and the printer at home is for day to day work.

Message has been deleted

Les Desser

Jun 15, 2009, 5:28:19 PM6/15/09
In article <140620091635526313%H...@snotmail.com>, High Priest
<H...@snotmail.com> Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:35:52 writes

>Les, there was apparently much interest in this topic so I and maybe
>the other correspondents would be interested to read a postscript. What
>did he buy, how did it perform etc.

Thanks for all the input. I will try and find out and report back