Gradients are fun. Whooo Hooo!!!

c-tide

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
I've got to give it to you Gary, playing with gradients is
kind of addictive ...

Here's my first real try at it:

http://www.geocities.com/jpjp45_2000/temp/grad_1.jpg

Nothing spectacular, but I had a lot more fun doing that
than finding something to do at work. It was a slow day.

c-tide
---

Gary Schooley

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00

c-tide wrote:

I love it! Nice TV-line look around the edge. It's too bad a gradient can't be
made to "conform" or follow a curve. Maybe they'll come up with that in future
versions.

Thanks for posting it.

Gary Schooley

Jinky Dee

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
Very cool!

Gary Schooley

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00

c-tide wrote:

> I've got to give it to you Gary, playing with gradients is
> kind of addictive ...
>
> Here's my first real try at it:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/jpjp45_2000/temp/grad_1.jpg
>
> Nothing spectacular, but I had a lot more fun doing that
> than finding something to do at work. It was a slow day.
>
> c-tide
> ---

OK, try this: http://schooley.home.texas.net/Abstract5.jpg *grin*
Made with only one gradient pass. I set up a conical gradient with a
fluorescent spectrum, from the center out. Make a duplicate layer, but turn it
to difference. Flip horizontal. Flatten image. Duplicate layer > Difference
again. Flip vertical. Flatten image. Duplicate layer > Difference. Rotate 90
degrees. Flatten image. Duplicate layer > Difference. (bored yet? Now it gets
interesting :o)

Once the pattern is duplicated into a symmetrical 4-way pattern, the top
difference layer makes everything go black; you can't see a pattern. BUT,
everything you do on that layer that makes a "difference" between the
"differences", makes a "difference" that you can see. Make sense? No? Good!
Then I'm not the only one confuzzled! *hehe* Now, apply the Chrome filter and
see what happens.

What's interesting is that not everything makes a difference that's visible or
worth seeing. But, if you apply Lens flare or Chrome, then it gets real nice.
It's also interesting to note that what you see in the preview thumbnail is NOT
what you will get when you apply it to the image.

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with *LOL*

Gary Schooley

Dorothy Combs

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
Beautiful! I liked Gary's too.

Dorothy

Mr. Jim

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
Gary Schooley wrote:

> It's too bad a gradient can't be
>made to "conform" or follow a curve. Maybe they'll come up with that in
future
>versions.

You want it? I'll send it to you.

--

Jim Hall
home.att.net/~hall.j.m

c-tide

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
Gary Schooley wrote:

> c-tide wrote:
>
> > I've got to give it to you Gary, playing with gradients is
> > kind of addictive ...
> >
> > Here's my first real try at it:
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/jpjp45_2000/temp/grad_1.jpg
> >
> > Nothing spectacular, but I had a lot more fun doing that
> > than finding something to do at work. It was a slow day.
> >
> > c-tide
> > ---
>

> OK, try this: http://schooley.home.texas.net/Abstract5.jpg *grin*
> Made with only one gradient pass. I set up a conical gradient with a
> fluorescent spectrum, from the center out. Make a duplicate layer, but turn it
> to difference. Flip horizontal. Flatten image. Duplicate layer > Difference
> again. Flip vertical. Flatten image. Duplicate layer > Difference. Rotate 90
> degrees. Flatten image. Duplicate layer > Difference. (bored yet? Now it gets
> interesting :o)
>
> Once the pattern is duplicated into a symmetrical 4-way pattern, the top
> difference layer makes everything go black; you can't see a pattern. BUT,
> everything you do on that layer that makes a "difference" between the
> "differences", makes a "difference" that you can see. Make sense? No? Good!
> Then I'm not the only one confuzzled! *hehe* Now, apply the Chrome filter and
> see what happens.
>
> What's interesting is that not everything makes a difference that's visible or
> worth seeing. But, if you apply Lens flare or Chrome, then it gets real nice.
> It's also interesting to note that what you see in the preview thumbnail is NOT
> what you will get when you apply it to the image.
>
> It'll be interesting to see what you come up with *LOL*
>
> Gary Schooley

I was playing around with patterened difference gradients, but hadn't
thought about sandwiching a layer between them. That's a pretty
interesting idea. The gradient you had up looked pretty good. I really
liked the geometry of it. Nice job.

I'll have to try your idea today when I can sneak in the time.

I've also been trying to figure out a way to apply a spherize type
effect to the gradient without the distorition, just using what ships
with PS 5.5. I can't get the effect I'm looking for yet. I may have
to bust out the old filter factory plug-in again and see what I can
come up with.

I had to take it out of my plug-ins folder because it aggrivates me
so bad, I'll spend hours torturing myself until I realize how bad I am
at higher math.

c-tide
---

c-tide
---

Gary Schooley

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

c-tide wrote:

> I was playing around with patterened difference gradients, but hadn't
> thought about sandwiching a layer between them. That's a pretty
> interesting idea. The gradient you had up looked pretty good. I really
> liked the geometry of it. Nice job.
>
> I'll have to try your idea today when I can sneak in the time.
>
> I've also been trying to figure out a way to apply a spherize type
> effect to the gradient without the distorition, just using what ships
> with PS 5.5. I can't get the effect I'm looking for yet. I may have
> to bust out the old filter factory plug-in again and see what I can
> come up with.
>
> I had to take it out of my plug-ins folder because it aggrivates me
> so bad, I'll spend hours torturing myself until I realize how bad I am
> at higher math.
>
> c-tide
> ---
>
> c-tide
> ---

*Yuck!* Math! I'm allergic - it makes me break out in little "F's".

What's interesting is when you have a normal layer and a difference layer, and it's
black, anything you apply to the difference layer that actually distorts things,
makes a pattern appear; and if it doesn't "distort", it makes no pattern.

Check this out: http://schooley.home.texas.net/Abstract7.jpg
I used the "Messing > Accident > Don't ask > Wow!" filter on it. I used a number of
methods on it and don't eeeeeeven remember how I did it, but it's just too freaky to
trash. Maybe I should make it a bitmap and apply it to my 3-D Maze screen saver
walls. *grin*

Gary Schooley

Jack Naipier

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
Hi Gary,

You got me playing with Gradients too now....
Take a quicky at http://home.earthlink.net/~djjoker/index.html the page is a
bit slow, bottom image.
Comment please (even bad ones)

Gary Schooley <scho...@texas.net> wrote in message

Gary Schooley

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

Jack Naipier wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> You got me playing with Gradients too now....
> Take a quicky at http://home.earthlink.net/~djjoker/index.html the page is a
> bit slow, bottom image.
> Comment please (even bad ones)

*HEHEHE* It's catching, ain't it? Very cool! (and very large!) Looks kind of
like one of my fireballs only inside out.

Hope all the pro's don't get bent as us children play :o)

Well, even as we speak, I am working on a simple page of links to some of the
stuff we are coming up with. My bookmarks are over flowing with things I keep
making and uploading. It'll be for everyone, so if you want something it let me
know and I'll add the URL. I don't want to put a lot of time in that page; just
URL's to actual pics, not sites. There are already plenty of site links pages
out there.

Maybe I'll have it up in an hour or so. :o)

Gary Schooley

Steve Deffeyes

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:01:41 -0500, Gary Schooley <scho...@texas.net>
wrote:

>OK, try this: http://schooley.home.texas.net/Abstract5.jpg *grin*
>Made with only one gradient pass. I set up a conical gradient with a
>fluorescent spectrum, from the center out. Make a duplicate layer, but turn it
>to difference. Flip horizontal. Flatten image. Duplicate layer > Difference
>again. Flip vertical. Flatten image. Duplicate layer > Difference. Rotate 90
>degrees. Flatten image. Duplicate layer > Difference. (bored yet? Now it gets
>interesting :o)
>
>Once the pattern is duplicated into a symmetrical 4-way pattern, the top
>difference layer makes everything go black; you can't see a pattern. BUT,
>everything you do on that layer that makes a "difference" between the
>"differences", makes a "difference" that you can see. Make sense? No? Good!
>Then I'm not the only one confuzzled! *hehe* Now, apply the Chrome filter and
>see what happens.
>
>What's interesting is that not everything makes a difference that's visible or
>worth seeing. But, if you apply Lens flare or Chrome, then it gets real nice.
>It's also interesting to note that what you see in the preview thumbnail is NOT
>what you will get when you apply it to the image.
>
>It'll be interesting to see what you come up with *LOL*

Kept me up 'till 4am with this ya did :) Lucky for me, no work today.

Check 'em out;

http://www.deffeyes.com/difference/dif_01.jpg

http://www.deffeyes.com/difference/dif_02.jpg

http://www.deffeyes.com/difference/dif_03.jpg

http://www.deffeyes.com/difference/dif_04.jpg

#2 is kinda big 'cuz it didn't compress well, rest around 100k.

I found it comes out better if the gradient is started a little off
center. Also I applied auto levels (actually use Intellihance here)
after the chrome filter, merge layers and auto levels again, then
hue/saturation to bring out some color. #3 and #4 have a glass filter
as well.

Steve

Gary Schooley

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00

Steve Deffeyes wrote:

> Kept me up 'till 4am with this ya did :) Lucky for me, no work today.
>
> Check 'em out;
>
> http://www.deffeyes.com/difference/dif_01.jpg
>
> http://www.deffeyes.com/difference/dif_02.jpg
>
> http://www.deffeyes.com/difference/dif_03.jpg
>
> http://www.deffeyes.com/difference/dif_04.jpg
>
> #2 is kinda big 'cuz it didn't compress well, rest around 100k.
>
> I found it comes out better if the gradient is started a little off
> center. Also I applied auto levels (actually use Intellihance here)
> after the chrome filter, merge layers and auto levels again, then
> hue/saturation to bring out some color. #3 and #4 have a glass filter
> as well.
>
> Steve

Very cool. They look very sharp and crisp. The top looks like it is mirrored above
water; if you take and split it in half, and dim the bottom and add some ripple, it
would look like a reflection in water. Some of these would look good with the lake
applet. I should add these to my page I started for us and our musings on this ng.

Gary Schooley

P.S. What's "intellihance"?

Steve Deffeyes

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:10:42 -0500, Gary Schooley <scho...@texas.net>
wrote:

Sure, link away. What's the URL? I came in in the middle of this
gradient stuff and would like to see the rest of it. I did an action
that automates your flippy/difference routine, maybe we could offer it
for download?

http://www.extensis.com/intellihancepro/

Kinda like auto levels/auto contrast but with more control.

Steve

Gary Schooley

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00

Steve Deffeyes wrote:

> Sure, link away. What's the URL? I came in in the middle of this
> gradient stuff and would like to see the rest of it. I did an action
> that automates your flippy/difference routine, maybe we could offer it
> for download?
>
> http://www.extensis.com/intellihancepro/
>
> Kinda like auto levels/auto contrast but with more control.
>
> Steve

http://schooley.home.texas.net/Messing.htm

I don't want to just randomly add links because some of the things people come up with
may not stay on their server (and I have enough to keep straight of my own work).
Otherwise, I would put them on my own server. I don't want to have to "ask" every time I
see something good, so if anyone wants to keep their work online, send the link and I'll
add it.

Meanwhile, I already need to digress and save some of the links to what they have
already done. Lots of cool stuff that needs to be saved for posterity. *grin*

Gary Schooley

Steve Deffeyes

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 05:31:08 -0500, Gary Schooley <scho...@texas.net>
wrote:

>http://schooley.home.texas.net/Messing.htm
>
>I don't want to just randomly add links because some of the things people come up with
>may not stay on their server (and I have enough to keep straight of my own work).
>Otherwise, I would put them on my own server. I don't want to have to "ask" every time I
>see something good, so if anyone wants to keep their work online, send the link and I'll
>add it.
>
>Meanwhile, I already need to digress and save some of the links to what they have
>already done. Lots of cool stuff that needs to be saved for posterity. *grin*

Pretty neat stuff. If I get a chance I'll create a page that explains
what I did, and then you can link to that.

Meanwhile here's two more;

http://www.deffeyes.com/difference/rose_01.jpg

http://www.deffeyes.com/difference/rose_02.jpg

I did the same dif - flip - dif - flip - dif - rotate as before, then
added twirl @ 200, then duplicate - difference - flip. #1 is the
spectrum gradient. #2, believe it or not, is the chrome gradient. They
have a real glowing look, kind of reminds me of a stained glass rose
window.

Steve

Gary Schooley

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00

Steve Deffeyes wrote:

> Pretty neat stuff. If I get a chance I'll create a page that explains
> what I did, and then you can link to that.
>
> Meanwhile here's two more;
>
> http://www.deffeyes.com/difference/rose_01.jpg
>
> http://www.deffeyes.com/difference/rose_02.jpg
>
> I did the same dif - flip - dif - flip - dif - rotate as before, then
> added twirl @ 200, then duplicate - difference - flip. #1 is the
> spectrum gradient. #2, believe it or not, is the chrome gradient. They
> have a real glowing look, kind of reminds me of a stained glass rose
> window.
>
> Steve

WOW! Just plain WOW! Very beautiful indeed. Thanks for sharing some of the details of how you
did it. I must add these to the links page RIGHT NOW. Excellent. I know someone who would
definitely want these. Amazing how chrome maintains color using this method. Very cool. :o)

Gary Schooley

Tone Marie Berg

Jun 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/17/00
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:09:45 -0500, Gary Schooley <scho...@texas.net>
wrote:

> Check this out: http://schooley.home.texas.net/Abstract7.jpg

> Maybe I should make it a bitmap and apply it to my 3-D Maze screen saver
> walls. *grin*

Now, *that* would be scary. I can feel the hypnotic effect just by
thinking about it.

--
Tone Marie Berg
[ zi...@zicon.cjb.net ] [ http://zicon.cjb.net/ ]

Gary Schooley

Jun 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/17/00

Tone Marie Berg wrote:

*hehehe* You remember when you was a kid, and you'd spend the ENTIRE day in a
swimming pool... with lots of chlorine in it? Remember what your eyes felt like
and what everything looked like the rest of the night? That's what that reminds
me of. :o)

Gary Schooley