Huge Announcement - WHITBY!

Jane Stroke Alice

Jan 11, 1995, 8:49:51 AM1/11/95

HELLO THERE...be prepared to be very excited...

For all you excitement-hungry goths out there, start packing your
make-up and crimping your hair RIGHT NOW as

WHITBY '95
(September 1st - 3rd)

is well under way and YOU HAVE GOT TO GO TO IT!

If you went last year, you will know exactly why.

If not, this is what just *might* be on offer (apart from the prospect
of over 200 goths all trying to get in a seaside pub at once...)

Friday - everyone turns up, books into their top seaside resort guest
houses, and GETS TO THE PUB. You will never have seen so many goths in one
pub - no! really! From then on, after several pleasant beers with many
black clad friends, there will be...

Gothic Blind Date - Whitby's very own 'Cilla BLACK' (har-de-har!)

Gothic fashion show - the latest modes in fishnet...

Gothic Disco until the Small Hours...

TRADITIONAL PILGRIMAGE TO THE ABBEY (you *have* to see this to believe it)

Saturday - Hangovers...of course...but then...

The *BIZARRE BAZAAR*...just wait and see...

FOUR TOP GOTH BANDS - so far, Children on Stun confirmed...

Walking up and down and waving your arms to popular gothic hits (i.e.
more discos for those not yet too ****ed to dance)

BACK TO THE ABBEY - we can't reveal too many details of this but ask
Sexbat about last year :)

Sunday - well, nothing arranged yet but last year, all 200 of 'em sat
outside the pub until it opened and alarmed an *awful* lot of tourists...
Tearful fairwells at the station from that gorgeous woman you met at
the abbey last night, and weep openly and smudge your eyeliner as you
realise it's another YEAR UNTIL THE NEXT ONE.

Enough hype. It will be very very very good. If you like goths, you will
think 'BLOODY HELL!'

If you want to be on the mailing list for more information (when we get it!)
email me on jane...@sheffield.ac.uk...

Jane Stroke Alice ... still one of the foulest goths in all England :)
(jane...@sheffield.ac.uk)

Jane Stroke Alice

Jan 12, 1995, 5:54:38 AM1/12/95
Jane Stroke Alice babbled incoherently...

>HELLO THERE...be prepared to be very excited...
>
>For all you excitement-hungry goths out there, start packing your
>make-up and crimping your hair RIGHT NOW as
>
> WHITBY '95
> (September 1st - 3rd)
>
>is well under way and YOU HAVE GOT TO GO TO IT!

OK, and I forgot a few things because Jo 'Whitby Queen Goth' was sitting
behind me making my type badly.

Someone mailed me and said, 'What the hell are you on about?' The plan is
simply to get as many goths in one place at once, and Whitby, with all its
Dracula connections and wild, romantic seaside villageness is the one place.
We did it last year, half by accident, and got 250 goths from all over
the country turning up. It was so good that we're trying to organise it
in advance this time, and get bands, a club, and some events on whilst
there's so many goths together!

Anyone who wants to put on a band, stall, event, or any other happening which
would appeal to almost 500 captive goths out on a spree, or anyone who
wants to help, (especially with the fashion show - goth.models!), or anyone
like Sexbat who has decided to mastermind a re-enactment of the Batcave
in the local Whitby nitespot (?!), please let me know and I will pass the
message on to Jo.

(This includes world-famous bands, etc. :) )

Also please note we are planning on having a *creche* so having gothbrats
will not be an excuse this year...

Accommodation could get scarce, but if you contact the Whitby Tourist
Board, they can help you either with finding a Bed & Breakfast (we paid
£16 a night last year), or a holiday cottage (£7 a night and a nice view of
the sea!)

If anyone outside the UK is planning on coming here, try and include this
in your stay. Your children will laugh at you if you miss it.

>Enough hype. It will be very very very good. If you like goths, you will
>think 'BLOODY HELL!'
>
>If you want to be on the mailing list for more information (when we get it!)
>email me on jane...@sheffield.ac.uk...

Jane Stroke Alice

PS. We're not making any money out of it...:)

Steve Welburn

Jan 15, 1995, 7:04:23 PM1/15/95
In article <789935...@skin.demon.co.uk>
Sha...@skin.demon.co.uk "Shawnee Sequeira" writes:

> > Is something cool going on there which I might partake in?
>
> Last time I talked to Jo, the date for the fest was the first weekend in
> September (1st-3rd?).
>
> I'd suggest not waiting until the last minute to book your
> accomodations.

Does anyone want to suggest a hotel (or whatever) for the assembled throng
to take over ??? Could be fun if we end up with a whole hotel-full of goth's...
they can't really complain we're upsetting the _other_ guests then,
can they ???

alt.gothic.book.early.for.autumn

--
You have been listening to...
Steve Welburn

swel...@trashcity.org

AbDrPhibes

Jan 17, 1995, 7:06:18 PM1/17/95
what is WHITBY?
the Abominable Dr. Phibes

Jane Shaw

Jan 18, 1995, 4:33:55 AM1/18/95
Steve Welburn (swel...@trashcity.org) wrote:
: Sha...@skin.demon.co.uk "Shawnee Sequeira" writes:

: > > Is something cool going on there which I might partake in?
: >
: > Last time I talked to Jo, the date for the fest was the first weekend in
: > September (1st-3rd?).
: >
: > I'd suggest not waiting until the last minute to book your
: > accomodations.

: Does anyone want to suggest a hotel (or whatever) for the assembled throng
: to take over ??? Could be fun if we end up with a whole hotel-full of goth's...
: they can't really complain we're upsetting the _other_ guests then,
: can they ???

Hey - we tried for the whole of the Whitby Grande Hotel (200+ rooms)
but I believe the Christian Family Association Conference (or something) had
got in there first...

alt.gothic.interesting.clash.of.conventions

We're going for the biggest holiday cottage we can find :P

: alt.gothic.book.early.for.autumn

Jane Stroke Alice
(jane...@sheffield.ac.uk)

Jane Shaw

Jan 18, 1995, 4:38:49 AM1/18/95
AbDrPhibes (abdrp...@aol.com) wrote:
: what is WHITBY?
: the Abominable Dr. Phibes

WHITBY

(1) A small English north coast fishing town with pretty cottages, cliffs,
Abbey and Dracula connections.

(2) (W. Gothic Weekend) 1st-3rd September: a gathering of as many goths
as we possibly can get in one place for drinking, bands, partying on top of
cliffs all night, posing for tourists, and generally living it up...(250
turned up last year, so this year we are publicising it :) )

Jane Stroke Alice
(jane...@sheffield.ac.uk)

FAT BOB

Jan 24, 1995, 5:43:18 AM1/24/95
> In article <3fvr7u$l...@bs33n.staffs.ac.uk>, cmt...@soc.staffs.ac.uk (Tony
> Blews) wrote:
>
> > Jane Shaw (sh...@siskin.sheffield.ac.uk) wrote:
> > : So what's left, then?!
> >
> > : Can you give us some idea?
> >
> > : We've just got the last 'Penthouse Appartments' cottage!
> > : At the 'Whitby Top Goth Planning Meeting' last night we reckoned there
> are 500
> > : people interested *so far* so booking SOON would be a good idea...but
> more of this
> > : later...
> >
> > : Jane Stroke Alice
> > : (jane...@sheffield.ac.uk)
> >

> > whats it like camping-wise?
> >
> > --
> > Tony Blews (A.J....@soc.staffs.ac.uk)
> > "I don't mean to sound bitter and twisted, but I am so thats how it comes out"
> > "Love is a many splintered thing"
> Is Gethsemane playing? Or possibly going to play. Just curious because I miss them.
>

> MORBID
Will FAT BOB and THE CUREHEADS BE PLAYING THIS YEAR ?

Jane Shaw

Jan 25, 1995, 5:04:19 AM1/25/95
On the subject of WHITBY GOTHIC WEEKEND, FAT BOB (chb...@leeds.ac.uk) wrote:
: > & Tony Blews wrote:

: > Is Gethsemane playing? Or possibly going to play. Just curious because I miss them.

: Will FAT BOB and THE CUREHEADS BE PLAYING THIS YEAR ?

< from the Whitby coffee drinking session last night...>
Gethsemane are 'thinking about it` but *have* been asked. Children on Stun are definite.
Nosferatu are `possible'. Incubbus Succubus did it last year and liked it but I don't
know if they will this year. Erm. Quite a few other people have been asked and
quite a few people are *begging* to play (for free!) but the kettle boiled at this point
so I missed all that bit.

I don't think Eldritch has got back to us yet :)

If FB&TC or anyone else want to play (even if they are very big and very famous :) )
email me and I will put you in touch with Jo, the organiser.

So there.

Jane Stroke Alice
(jane...@sheffield.ac.uk) <-- this address, the one up there doesn't work!