[POLL] Bands you're too embarrassed to like...

Jacqueline

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
to mention on alt.gothic...

I'll start...

The band that I like that I'm kind of embarrassed to be known, especially on
alt.gothic is...

<drumroll>

The Backstreet Boys

Jacqueline, who'd like to lick Howie D. all over =D

PS... come on people... don't make me the only one to do this poll :)

siani evans

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00

Jacqueline wrote:

> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> to mention on alt.gothic...

i don't have one. no, really, they all know i love cyndi lauper, and
many of them do too. i revel in my bad taste.

siani

Jet Boy

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
In article <zayX5.2764$NB1....@news2.atl>,

"Jacqueline" <jacqu...@gothictomb.com> wrote:
> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning
"goth"
> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too
***embarrassed***
> to mention on alt.gothic...

8<snipped>8

> The Backstreet Boys

Jesus, that's harsh. It makes my "coming out" a bit easier. :)

> Jacqueline, who'd like to lick Howie D. all over =D

Speoch.

> PS... come on people... don't make me the only one to do this poll :)

My closet Fave has to be Love/Hate, I started listening to them years
ago. Thrill to such P.C. masterpieces as Ola Mola (ethnic caricatures).
Tap your feet and sing along to "party tunes" like Beer Money, or One
More Round (self explanatory). Bring back that feminist poetry-reading
chick to your pad and slap Gang Bang Slavegirl (also self-explanatory)
on your sound system. Love/Hate were.... unenlightened... like a lot of
the LA rock bands of the time, but they had a crudity and
unpleasantness that the other bands couldn't match.

Ah, to look back and laugh.

$teve

--
Charybdis26 at hotmail dot com
"Pain against unfair odds"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Johnan

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
Jacqueline <jacqu...@gothictomb.com> wrote in message

> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> to mention on alt.gothic...
>
> I'll start...
>
> The band that I like that I'm kind of embarrassed to be known, especially
on
> alt.gothic is...
>
> <drumroll>
>
> The Backstreet Boys
>
> Jacqueline, who'd like to lick Howie D. all over =D
>
> PS... come on people... don't make me the only one to do this poll :)

Err... uhmmmm... (looks over shoulder...)

Old Culture Club tapes...

(What? ME? Hell, no I never admitted to that!!!)

Johnan

(We're all here, because we're not all there...)

Kris

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
>Jacqueline wrote:
>>
>> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
>> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
>> to mention on alt.gothic...

I'm not embarrassed of them, but hell, they might make other people cringe
so...

Things in my Music Collection that would make Spider proud :P

Michael Jackson - The History CD set.
Insane Clown Posse - Ringmaster
Joan Osborne - St Theresa single
Amanda Marshall - Let It Rain single
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Greatest Hits (Tour Edition)

for H*ydn...

Regurgitator - ...Art
Powderfinger - Internationalist
The Next Wave - Various Artists.. all Aussie Nineties type stuff (some of it's
good though. honest.)
Jebediah - Slightly Odway (iirc)
Ammonia - 11th Avenue
Spiderbait - Ivy and the Big Apple
Superjesus - Sumo
Triple J's Hottest 100 Vol 3.
Insurge :)

I also own Spice Girls stuff, Backstreet Boys stuff, 311, Eminem, JayZ, 2Pac,
Puff Daddy...

I've got Bauhaus and the Cure next to Santana and Clapton, The Union
Underground, Megadeth's Cryptic Writings Japanese Tour Edition... Iron Maiden..

I can't help it.

I swear I can't.

I have at least three Chopin cds too.

~Kris.

Here we are again
Just face to facing
Each other another day
~NickelBack

zentariana

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 16:24:45 -0500, "Jacqueline"
<jacqu...@gothictomb.com> shared with us all:

>I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
>bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
>to mention on alt.gothic...

i'll join in to help you out :) not that i'm ever at all embarrassed -
why should i be? all my music is good stuff!!

i like country.
i like n'sync. and britany spears. and christina agulera.

and this one other lady, i have no idea who she is but she looks very
nice in a corset and jeans.. "i don't want to need you if you won't
need me"..

mm...i like "music" that alain sends me.. usually ;) after getting
used to it.. which sometimes takes months.

i also like coolio. and tupac. and bette davis and the carpenders. and
lots of other people that make you people cry and hide from me because
i am truely special.

*curtsey*

~becky~

-----

"there is nothing worse that getting a video
and sitting down to watch it and having it
not be rewound."

- some brilliant woman who frequents my store.

zentariana

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:05:48 GMT, "Johnan" <las...@texas.net> shared
with us all:

>Err... uhmmmm... (looks over shoulder...)
>
>Old Culture Club tapes...

karmakarmakarmakarmakarma cameliaaaaaaaaaaan... :)

that's really a very deep song. about how we change our very essense
to try to fit in with those around us.

*nodnod*

>(What? ME? Hell, no I never admitted to that!!!)

blackmail!! woohoo!!

>(We're all here, because we're not all there...)

i like that.

skep...@my-deja.com

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00

> >I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially
concerning "goth"
> >bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too
***embarrassed***
> >to mention on alt.gothic...

Crap. Here goes my dark secret: Lyle Lovett.

-skepticle
who thinks Insane Clown Posse has redeeming features. maybe.

pixie

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
<jacqu...@gothictomb.com> wrote:

>I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
>bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
>to mention on alt.gothic...
>

>I'll start...
>
>The band that I like that I'm kind of embarrassed to be known, especially on
>alt.gothic is...
>
><drumroll>
>
>The Backstreet Boys

*shrug* No shame in that.

I love *NSYNC. I have a thing for Joey Fatone. I so do. I will watch
anything on TV that has him. First, it started out as "wow, that
guy's all scummy! He's out of place!" and then it was, "yeah, but he's
kind of... cute." I even have marionettes of *NSYNC. *NSYNC good.

I duuno, I like all sorts of stuff. Mostly Britpop. It's shameful to
like Gay Dad, no? I like Gay Dad.

*shrug*

pixie
"Although I am the gatekeeper to the gates of the
unholy boy's club known as hell, I am sensitive to
the needs of women, and I walk the path of evil
alone."

Marshdrifter

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
Jacqueline wrote in message ...

>I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
>bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
>to mention on alt.gothic...

Queen
Arlo Guthrie (I'd mention Woody as well, but that's not
so embarrassing)
Big Audio Dynamite
Yaz
Paul McCartney (funny how I'm not embarrassed to mention
the Beatles or John Lennon)
Martin Newell (horrible horrible stuff, but I love it)

And in my closet I have the amazing vinyl skeletons:
Nearly the complete works of Styx.

Stephen

Margaret A Sawyer

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
Excerpts from netnews.alt.gothic: 6-Dec-100 [POLL] Bands you're too
emb.. by "Jacqueline"@gothictomb.
> The band that I like that I'm kind of embarrassed to be known, especially on
> alt.gothic is...

Cruxshadows. I like one song of theirs. Embarrassing as all hell. I also
listen to Marilyn Manson. I listened to him when Portrait first came
out, and old habits die hard. :D

I actually have no shame in admitting that I like things like Britney
Spears, Vertical Horizon, and even N 'Sync. They're fun. :D

Megan
--
Megan Sawyer
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~msawyer - New and Improved!

exile

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00

}
} Things in my Music Collection that would make Spider proud :P
}
} Michael Jackson - The History CD set.

} Creedence Clearwater Revival - Greatest Hits (Tour Edition)

Michael... I can sorta' see. {Tho' I'd think it misguided... it is
something the press would have us feel.}

Why anyone would be embarrassed at Creedence is beyond me.

} I have at least three Chopin cds too.

Just so long as it's not Strauss.
--
-{exile}----------------------{http://www.freespeech.org/apophysis/}-
"Hope I die before I get old." {Who}

exile

Glyph

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00

"Jacqueline" wrote:
> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> to mention on alt.gothic...
>
> I'll start...

> The band that I like that I'm kind of embarrassed to be known, especially
on
> alt.gothic is...
>
> <drumroll>
>
> The Backstreet Boys
>
> Jacqueline, who'd like to lick Howie D. all over =D
>
> PS... come on people... don't make me the only one to do this poll :)

Oh god, okay fine here it comes..

!!*Weezer*!!

"I wanna go back! I wanna go back! And I don't even know how I got off the
track! I wanna go back, Yeaaaaaheh!"

(hides in shame)

God I feel like I just masturbated in public or something...

Glyph
http://members.tripod.com/glyph0

rufus

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
<jacqu...@gothictomb.com> wrote:

> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> to mention on alt.gothic...
>
> I'll start...
>
> The band that I like that I'm kind of embarrassed to be known, especially on
> alt.gothic is...
>
> <drumroll>
>
> The Backstreet Boys

Blegh.

Anyway.

Mine are:

Shania Twain
Vince Gill

There's a great deal more '80s metal and roots rock that I like but I'm
*not* embarassed about it, so that doesn't count.

rufus

--
Queen of the Industrialsprites
rufus AT bway DOT net

Margaret A Sawyer

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
Excerpts from netnews.alt.gothic: 6-Dec-100 Re: [POLL] Bands you're
too.. by "Glyph"@bellsouth.net
> Oh god, okay fine here it comes..
>
> !!*Weezer*!!

/ahem/ There is no wrong reason to love Weezer. Everyone and their mom,
no matter what social strata loves Weezer. :D

pixie

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 20:51:16 -0500, Margaret A Sawyer
<msaw...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

>Excerpts from netnews.alt.gothic: 6-Dec-100 Re: [POLL] Bands you're
>too.. by "Glyph"@bellsouth.net
>> Oh god, okay fine here it comes..
>>
>> !!*Weezer*!!
>
>/ahem/ There is no wrong reason to love Weezer. Everyone and their mom,
>no matter what social strata loves Weezer. :D

How can you not? Weezer is happy! And fun!

I heard one of their songs on the radio the other day, and now I'm
gonna have to buy the CD. It's like law or something. Weezer.

pixie, who also openly admits to liking Rush. Go Geddy!

IHCOYC XPICTOC

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
exile <ex...@21stcentury.net> wrote:

: } I have at least three Chopin cds too.

: Just so long as it's not Strauss.

If classical is embarrasing, colour me pink. Of course, most of my
classical music is Baroque or earlier. I used to think it was all
downhill since Papa Bach died, until I realised: it's all been downhill
since Pope Gregory died.

Orff is probably the most embarrasing thing there.

Other things that would probably bring a screech:

Soundtracks: -The Apostle-. Emmylou Harris and Robert Duvall do a lovely
version of "I Love to Tell the Story. . ."

Other soundtracks: Xena (x2); 13th Warrior

Abraxas Pool

Deep Forest

Funkadelic: Maggot Brain

Semisonic: Feeling Strangely Fine

Kenny Wayne Shephard: Trouble Is

--
IHCOYC XPICTOC http://members.iglou.com/gustavus ihcoyc(at)aye.net
+ NOLI Vibrabimus volvemurque usque ad reditum boum. ABDUCI +

Message has been deleted

Marshdrifter

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
Mark Greene wrote in message <90n0uh$gue$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>Billy Joel

Ach, I forgot about Mr. Joel. Yeah, I
like him too, although most of his stuff
that I have is also on vinyl which doesn't
get played.

Stephen

Marshdrifter

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
pixie wrote in message ...

>pixie, who also openly admits to liking Rush. Go Geddy!

Rush is a really good band, although I dislike a lot
of their lyrics on the philosophical level (probably
because I had a roommate who pretty much used
Rush as his own personal Yoda, it was scary).

No reason to be embarrassed.

Stephen

zentariana

Dec 6, 2000, 7:12:34 PM12/6/00
On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:49:37 GMT, skep...@my-deja.com shared with us
all:

>Crap. Here goes my dark secret: Lyle Lovett.

psht. don't be ashamed of him.
lyle lovett is awesome.

Stellar

Dec 6, 2000, 7:27:30 PM12/6/00
On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:05:48 GMT, "Johnan" <las...@texas.net> wrote:

>> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
>> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
>> to mention on alt.gothic...

>Old Culture Club tapes...

>(What? ME? Hell, no I never admitted to that!!!)

Oh, come -on-. Embarrassed of liking Culture Club and Cyndi Lauper?
According to you guys, I should be embarrassed of my entire music
collection (which is available for public consumption at
http://www.angelfire.com/goth/stellar/mymusic.html). I've got
everything from ABBA to Frank Zappa (literally), and if I had to say
there's one I'm a bit shy about mentioning, it'd be the Monkees. :)
I think a good 85% of my music is so ungothy, most would freak. But
nevertheless, I'm quite proud of my fondness for the eighties, and I
never said I was goth to begin with. I'm just here. And I am just
me. :)

~Stellar
http://www.mindspring.com/~heado

Jhaerak

Dec 6, 2000, 8:52:11 PM12/6/00
Jacqueline wrote:

> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> to mention on alt.gothic...
>
> I'll start...
>
> The band that I like that I'm kind of embarrassed to be known, especially on
> alt.gothic is...
>
> <drumroll>
>
> The Backstreet Boys
>
> Jacqueline, who'd like to lick Howie D. all over =D
>
> PS... come on people... don't make me the only one to do this poll :)

2Unlimited

JE(xx)

Mark Greene

Dec 6, 2000, 10:27:29 PM12/6/00
In article <0LyX5.36673$Yd.15...@news5.aus1.giganews.com>,
"Johnan" <las...@texas.net> wrote:
> Johnan

> (We're all here, because we're not all there...)

Anamaniacs? Damn that sounds familiar

And yes, somewhere around here I've got the Anamaniacs sampler tape
with Yacko doing the Nations of the World, and Wacko doing the State
Capitals. :p

--
gothae subnoto baritus
Burning our skins to be renewed, but never hiding the charred look as

Mark Greene

Dec 6, 2000, 10:30:18 PM12/6/00
In article <90mfpv$2rd$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

skep...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Crap. Here goes my dark secret: Lyle Lovett.

If he was once good enough for Julia Roberts to marry, he cannot be as
bad as he is made out to be. Really.

Mark Greene

Dec 6, 2000, 10:33:57 PM12/6/00
In article <FuAX5.516$n3.2...@feed.centurytel.net>,
"Marshdrifter" <swa...@spam.centurytel.net> wrote:

> And in my closet I have the amazing vinyl skeletons:
> Nearly the complete works of Styx.
>
> Stephen

But in between the sappy ballads and (bad) fuzzy guitar solos, they can
angst with the best of 'em. GAF, IMHO.

--
gothae subnoto baritus
(who still has a Pieces of Eight and Paradise Theatre album)

Mark Greene

Dec 6, 2000, 10:42:10 PM12/6/00
In article <zayX5.2764$NB1....@news2.atl>,

"Jacqueline" <jacqu...@gothictomb.com> wrote:
> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially
concerning "goth"
> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too
***embarrassed***
> to mention on alt.gothic...

I've a few albums remaining, mostly 70's and 80's stuff I'm not at all
embarassed about.... the aforementioned Styx and Rush, Michael Stanly
Band (Heartland, You Can't Fight Fashion, and Live at the Agora), The
Cars....as for the embarassing stuff....

Billy Joel
Mott the Hoople
Tomita
John Tesh

Oh, and while not a real group... I have a Promise Keepers tape.
Occasionally I listen to it, when the mood hits.

Yes, I have weird tastes for my weird moods.

--
gothae subnoto baritus

Elixxir

Dec 6, 2000, 11:46:14 PM12/6/00
Jacqueline wrote:

> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> to mention on alt.gothic...

Are you kidding? My lack of taste is legendary dammit. :)

Most of it revolves around bad 80's pop - Culture Club, Milli Vanilli, Salt
'n Pepa, Technotronic, Juice Newton (good gawd...did I really just say
that?!), Tiffany...I could go on and on.

And, of course, we haven't even touched on my all-time fave big-hair bands
of the 80's - Poison, Dokken, Ratt, Faster Pussycat, Motley Crue,
Cinderella, Bon Jovi...ack...I could go on and on here too...

But the one that really has The Boy hanging his head in shame to be seen
with me lately is Eminem. There doesn't appear to be any defense for that
one...

Elixxir, Interrogator of the Male Mind
(who can at least fall back on nostalgia to excuse the others...)

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Show/1150/index.html

Jhaerak

Dec 7, 2000, 12:06:14 AM12/7/00
Elixxir wrote:

> Jacqueline wrote:
>
> > I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> > bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> > to mention on alt.gothic...
>
> Are you kidding? My lack of taste is legendary dammit. :)
>
> Most of it revolves around bad 80's pop - Culture Club,

Seen 'em live.

Je(xx) (*shudders at the memory* worst part is - I quite enjoyed it....
:-( )
--
New web page up and runni... crawling.
http://clik.to/jhaerak

Stellar

Dec 7, 2000, 12:08:56 AM12/7/00
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:03:20 -0600, "Marshdrifter"
<swa...@spam.centurytel.net> wrote:

>>I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
>>bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
>>to mention on alt.gothic...
>

>Queen
>Arlo Guthrie (I'd mention Woody as well, but that's not
>so embarrassing)
>Big Audio Dynamite
>Yaz
>Paul McCartney (funny how I'm not embarrassed to mention
>the Beatles or John Lennon)
>Martin Newell (horrible horrible stuff, but I love it)

I don't understand why it's embarrassing to like Yaz, Queen and Big
Audio Dynamite. -Or- Billy Joel, -or- Weezer....I have all of the
above. And it doesn't embarrass me in the least. But, then again,
one of my specialties is being able to spout off lyrics from nearly
any band played on today's "normal" radio anyway. I'm kind of a
walking musical dictionary in that respect.

~Stellar
...having a ball, down at the Globe :)

http://www.mindspring.com/~heado

Tiny Human Ferret

Dec 7, 2000, 12:54:09 AM12/7/00
IHCOYC XPICTOC wrote:

> exile <ex...@21stcentury.net> wrote:
>
> : } I have at least three Chopin cds too.
>
> : Just so long as it's not Strauss.
>
> If classical is embarrasing, colour me pink. Of course, most of my
> classical music is Baroque or earlier. I used to think it was all
> downhill since Papa Bach died, until I realised: it's all been downhill
> since Pope Gregory died.
>
> Orff is probably the most embarrasing thing there.
>
> Other things that would probably bring a screech:

<snips>

> Funkadelic: Maggot Brain

Dood! Funkadelic r00lz.

I personally don't think I should be faulted for this, but I really like old
Oingo Boingo and Tangerine Dream. Kraftwerk is excellent, too.

--
Be kind to your neighbors, even | "Global domination, of course!"
though they be transgenic chimerae. | -- The Brain

Tiny Human Ferret

Dec 7, 2000, 1:04:34 AM12/7/00
rufus wrote:

> In article <zayX5.2764$NB1....@news2.atl>, "Jacqueline"
> <jacqu...@gothictomb.com> wrote:
>
> > I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> > bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> > to mention on alt.gothic...
> >
> > I'll start...
> >
> > The band that I like that I'm kind of embarrassed to be known, especially on
> > alt.gothic is...
> >
> > <drumroll>
> >
> > The Backstreet Boys
>
> Blegh.
>
> Anyway.
>
> Mine are:
>
> Shania Twain
> Vince Gill
>
> There's a great deal more '80s metal and roots rock that I like but I'm
> *not* embarassed about it, so that doesn't count.

I can see being embarassed over Shania Twain, since I'm embarassed over her
too. But... "so you say you're... Brad Pitt?"

But as for Vince Gill? Hell, he's one of the finest guitar players alive, no
shame in liking that.

I have to admit a pathetic weakness for Randy Travis, mostly the song "Love
You Forever, Amen".

And every now and then I hear some blast from the past in the form of Lynyrd
Skynyrd doing "Can't You Smell That Smell"... and I gotta crank all knobs
completely clockwise. Except for the "balance" of course.

> rufus

The Dark Siren

Dec 7, 2000, 1:18:38 AM12/7/00
>From: "Marshdrifter" swa...@spam.centurytel.net

>Yaz

OMG! How can you be embarassed about this band???I love Yaz...just
happy,bouncy...blahh!!! It's almost a ritual in my abode...wake up...grumble at
bird...open up shades to let evil day-moon in...put on Yaz or
Erasure...although sometimes Harry Belafonte squirms in for a particularly
eccentric day!
XOXOXOBITE!XOXOXO
***The Dark Siren
"Patience is the darkest side of Power"~Zampano, __HOUSE OF LEAVES__

The Dark Siren

Dec 7, 2000, 1:29:16 AM12/7/00
Jacqueline wrote:>
>I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
>bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
>to mention on alt.gothic...
>
>I'll start...
>
>The band that I like that I'm kind of embarrassed to be known, especially on
>alt.gothic is...
>
><drumroll>
>
>The Backstreet Boys
>
>Jacqueline, who'd like to lick Howie D. all over =D

OK...my tastes vary tremendously,what being raised on anything & everything
between Donna Summers, ABBA, Air Supply & Willie Nelson! But here go some of my
*personal* evils...

~Heart *gasp!*
~Arrested Development
~Missy Elliot(awwww yeeeaaaah!)
~Debby Boone (I know! But it was my first album...the first song that ever came
outta my throat was "You Light Up My Life!")
~Billy Joel (Not too guilty though...saw others admitting to it!)
~Bette Midler
~Prince(heh!heh!)

Other than that, nothing that I would call particularly embarassing...grew up
on old Heart & Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Styx, Rush...love classic rock in
general...no shame! ~8)

*maniacbounce*

Dec 7, 2000, 2:02:25 AM12/7/00
Jacqueline wrote:

> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> to mention on alt.gothic...

*sigh* might as well answer this one

in no particular order of embarrasment...

- Paul Brandt (new country. 'nuf said.)
- Jars of Clay
- the Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack
- the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat soundtrack
- Joy Electric
- Pat Benetar

and... *drumroll*
- The Osmonds
*shudder*
I have my reasons

ManiacBounce
oh crap, now I have "Down By the Lazy River" stuck in my head. god help us all.

Siobhan

Dec 7, 2000, 1:34:54 AM12/7/00
On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 21:11:52 -0500, pixie <ei...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 20:51:16 -0500, Margaret A Sawyer
><msaw...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

>>/ahem/ There is no wrong reason to love Weezer. Everyone and their mom,
>>no matter what social strata loves Weezer. :D
>>
>How can you not? Weezer is happy! And fun!

That's *why* I don't like them

Siobhan
shiny people over there. happy people over there. we're cranky
meat-eating people with guns

....Normal is what cuts off your sixth finger and your tail...
http://www.virulent.org sio...@virulent.org
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." ~DH Lawrence

exile

Dec 7, 2000, 2:33:19 AM12/7/00
IHCOYC XPICTOC <gust...@shell1.iglou.com> writes:
} exile <ex...@21stcentury.net> wrote:
}
} : } I have at least three Chopin cds too.
}
} : Just so long as it's not Strauss.
}
} If classical is embarrasing, colour me pink. Of course, most of my

Not "classical" ...Strauss.

Christina L Sawyer

Dec 7, 2000, 2:50:10 AM12/7/00
Excerpts from netnews.alt.gothic: 7-Dec-100 Re: [POLL] Bands you're
too.. by Tiny Human Ferret@clark.

> And every now and then I hear some blast from the past in the form of Lynyrd
> Skynyrd doing "Can't You Smell That Smell"... and I gotta crank all knobs
> completely clockwise. Except for the "balance" of course.

Most people I know secretly like Lynyrd Skynyrd. I have this horrible
tendancy to yell "FREEBIRD!!!" at bands when I see them live. I saw
Wheatus (The Teenage Dirtbag Song people) and when I yelled that at the
lead singer he gave me a somewhat puzzled look. At least Sisters of
Mercy played Sweet Home Alabama when we did that. :D

Christy
--
http://www.spookee.net - Feel the spo0kee goodness.
School of Art, Carnegie Mellon University

Juniper

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

Christina L Sawyer wrote:

> Most people I know secretly like Lynyrd Skynyrd. I have this horrible
> tendancy to yell "FREEBIRD!!!" at bands when I see them live. I saw
> Wheatus (The Teenage Dirtbag Song people) and when I yelled that at the
> lead singer he gave me a somewhat puzzled look. At least Sisters of
> Mercy played Sweet Home Alabama when we did that. :D

When we saw Dag Julian perform a summer or two ago some one "requested"
Freebird, and we got this entertaining rendition called "stairway to
freebird"

Juniper

Margaret A Sawyer

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Excerpts from netnews.alt.gothic: 7-Dec-100 Re: [POLL] Bands you're
too.. by *maniacbounce*@hotmail.c
> - Jars of Clay

Ahh, I love Jars of Clay. Once a really great open-minded Christian
friend and I swapped mix tapes. I'm now in love with DC Talk, Jars of
Clay, and the Newsboys, and she's one of the biggest Marilyn Manson fans
I know, and actually went out and bought the KMFDM CD. :D

Lucid H. Dreaming

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
In article <zayX5.2764$NB1....@news2.atl>, Jacqueline wrote:

>The band that I like that I'm kind of embarrassed to be known, especially on
>alt.gothic is...
>
>PS... come on people... don't make me the only one to do this poll :)

Prepare to die in Shock

Roxette
Martha and the Muffins
Psuedo Echo
The Specials
Duran Duran
Blondie
Air Supply
Duran Duran
The Proclaimers
Billy Idol
Genesis
King Crimson
Radio Head
Fear Factory
Front Line Assembly
Ministry
Skinny Puppy
Meat Beat Manifesto
Blue Oyster Cult
Prodigy
The Chemical Brothers
Iron Maiden
Moonspell
Aerosmith
Rancid
Human League
Icehouse
Alice in Chains
Smashing Pumpkins
The Tourists
Peter Gabriel
Stone Roses
This Mortal Coil
The Cure (Anything Past Pornography)
Nick Cave (Anything after the Birthday Party)
Soul Coughing
Filter
The Police
Green Day
Offspring
Meredith Brooks
Skyscraper
Autohaze
Third Eye Blind
The Men
The Byrds

I'm sure there's more but these are the ones I can find...

Bah

? - Who realy is embarresed by liking any of this
--
http://www.kuro5hin.org: Better than slashdot, but not as good as Usenet.
-- Rusty

zentariana

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 06:04:34 +0000, Tiny Human Ferret
<kla...@clark.net> shared with us all:

>I have to admit a pathetic weakness for Randy Travis, mostly the song "Love
>You Forever, Amen".

ohohoh!! if you wanna see a crying becky, play that song around me. it
gets me very quickly. he's -so- awesome. i -adore- that man.

zentariana

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:46:14 GMT, "Elixxir"
<eli...@hotmailSPAMSUX.com> shared with us all:

>Are you kidding? My lack of taste is legendary dammit. :)

from your list.. minus emenim (*shudder*), i'd say you have great
taste :)

zentariana

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On 07 Dec 2000 06:29:16 GMT, drks...@aol.com (The Dark Siren) shared
with us all:

>~Prince(heh!heh!)

you ever see his movie "purple rain"? we had that at my store and i
rented it and fell in love all over again. and he did "when doves cry"
which i -love- ..

but that last part of the movie.. when he sings purple rain.. i cried
so much. (but, of course, i cry -all- the time at about everything so
that's not news)

zentariana

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On 7 Dec 2000 19:19:52 +1100, dth2...@zen.art.rmit.edu.au (Lucid H.
Dreaming) shared with us all:

>Prepare to die in Shock

yeah. that you'd be ashamed.

>Roxette
>Martha and the Muffins
>Psuedo Echo
>The Specials

got "stupid marriage"?? ;):) HUSH UP!!

>Duran Duran

ohohoh!! "come undone" has been a favorite song of mine since the
first time i saw VH1!!

>Blondie
>Air Supply
>Duran Duran

ahem.

>The Proclaimers

love 'em.

>Billy Idol

it's a nice day for a white wedding is an excellent song :P

>Genesis

that guy is next to god, dammit.

>King Crimson
>Radio Head

my first concert :) he's so amazing. i don't like the new album
though.

>Fear Factory
>Front Line Assembly
>Ministry
>Skinny Puppy
>Meat Beat Manifesto
>Blue Oyster Cult
>Prodigy
>The Chemical Brothers
>Iron Maiden
>Moonspell

.. is a very good band :P

>Aerosmith

>Alice in Chains
>Smashing Pumpkins

>Peter Gabriel

>The Police
>Green Day
>Offspring
>Meredith Brooks

should never be embarassing, dammit.

kest

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
In article <3A2F2601...@clark.net>,

Tiny Human Ferret <kla...@clark.net> wrote:

> I personally don't think I should be faulted for this, but I really
like old

> Oingo Boingo <snip>

How can a band that played songs about dead people and had large
halloween concerts not be GAF?

(On the subject of this thread, so I listen to Disney music. What's your
point?)

"It's just not a good idea to argue philosophy with God. Especially when
he's stoned."
-Spider, on God, Satan, and the duckbilled platypus

Greylock: Spookyfynder General and Hammer of the Infidel

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Last episode leik...@aol.coma (Kris) said:

So, do you like any goth?

>for H*ydn...
>Powderfinger - Internationalist

As Australian bands go, they don't suck cheap whores.
There are worse.

>Jebediah - Slightly Odway (iirc)

I own a Jebediah single, oddly. I didn't buy it, it was a promo.
Me mate from uni is their manager. :) </namedrop>
The second album is better.

I saw this band live, once, at The Loft, before they got big - they weren't
good.

>Triple J's Hottest 100 Vol 3.

*shudder*
If you go to the JJJ website, you can vote in this year's poll.

>Insurge :)

Technically, goth-via-industrial.

My child, thou art saved!

------
H*ydn www.goth.org.au I'msopsuedosopsuedoI'm www.darkwave.org.uk/faq/ag
Deemed "Officially rockin'" by Narnia and "Heartbreaker" by Barbarella
Deemed "the sarkiest, bitterest bastard on the newsgroup" by Basingstoke
Deemed "One-half of ACG's hottest platonic relationship..."

Greylock: Spookyfynder General and Hammer of the Infidel

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Last episode Jhaerak <Jha...@btinternet.com> said:
>> Most of it revolves around bad 80's pop - Culture Club,
>Seen 'em live.

'80s Culture Club, or the Sad Old Tranny tour?

Greylock: Spookyfynder General and Hammer of the Infidel

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Last episode dth2...@zen.art.rmit.edu.au (Lucid H. Dreaming) said:
>Psuedo Echo
>Blondie
>Billy Idol
>Front Line Assembly
>Skinny Puppy
>Human League

>This Mortal Coil
>The Cure (Anything Past Pornography)
>Nick Cave (Anything after the Birthday Party)
>The Byrds

Hey, kraant - next time I'm in Melbourne, remind me to thump you most
soundly o'er the head.

Hardrock Llewynyth

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Thus did "Jacqueline" <jacqu...@gothictomb.com> the Unworthy write
in this Year of Our Lord Wed, 6 Dec 2000 16:24:45 -0500:

>I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
>bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
>to mention on alt.gothic...

There are no bands or artists i'm embarrassed about listening to, and
will happily mention them to everyone at large.

There are may bands/artists who i get a lot of shit for likeing; to
which my usual response is "If i wanted your opinion, i'd give you an
enema. Foad."

Hardrock.

--
"Canada: the country that could have had American technology, French
cuisine, and English culture; but instead wound-up with French

Hardrock Llewynyth

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Thus did sio...@virulent.org (Siobhan) the Unworthy write in this
Year of Our Lord Thu, 07 Dec 2000 06:34:54 GMT:

>shiny people over there. happy people over there. we're cranky
>meat-eating people with guns

"Broccoli tastes like broccoli. But meat tastes like murder, and
murder tasts pretty fucking good!"

Hardrock, looking for his Nyquil.

Hardrock Llewynyth

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Thus did Christina L Sawyer <cl...@andrew.cmu.edu> the Unworthy write
in this Year of Our Lord Thu, 7 Dec 2000 02:50:10 -0500:

>Most people I know secretly like Lynyrd Skynyrd. I have this horrible
>tendancy to yell "FREEBIRD!!!" at bands when I see them live. I saw
>Wheatus (The Teenage Dirtbag Song people) and when I yelled that at the
>lead singer he gave me a somewhat puzzled look. At least Sisters of
>Mercy played Sweet Home Alabama when we did that. :D

I can say with all honesty that i do not secretly like Skynyrd.

I fucking crank the stereo and blast them at everyone within range
dammit!

I don't like their well-known stuff as much tho. My absolute favorite
song is "The Ballad of Curtis Low".

Hardro^WThe Breeze

Hardrock Llewynyth

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Thus did Mark Greene <gree...@my-deja.com> the Unworthy write in
this Year of Our Lord Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:42:10 GMT:

>I've a few albums remaining, mostly 70's and 80's stuff I'm not at all
>embarassed about.... the aforementioned Styx and Rush, Michael Stanly

Rush. One of my all-time favorite bands.

A band that could teach pretention to goths.

hardrock

Hardrock Llewynyth

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Thus did *maniacbounce* <maniac...@hotmail.com> the Unworthy
write in this Year of Our Lord Thu, 07 Dec 2000 07:02:25 GMT:

>- Pat Benetar

OOoo, that woman has one of the best voices EVER!

Have you ever heard her do straight blues? It's like she was born to
it.

Hardrock

Hardrock Llewynyth

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Thus did dth2...@zen.art.rmit.edu.au (Lucid H. Dreaming) the
Unworthy write in this Year of Our Lord 7 Dec 2000 19:19:52 +1100:

>? - Who realy is embarresed by liking any of this

Why? I love most of those. There are a lot of really really good
bands in that list. And most of the others at least have some
camp/silliness value (like Green Day and Offspring, who i really
like).

hardrock, with the exception of Air Supply

Lucid H. Dreaming

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
In article <3a3a0f47...@news.wn.com.au>

, Greylock: Spookyfynder General and Hammer of the Infidel wrote:
>Last episode dth2...@zen.art.rmit.edu.au (Lucid H. Dreaming) said:
>>Psuedo Echo
>>Blondie
>>Billy Idol
>>Front Line Assembly
>>Skinny Puppy
>>Human League
>>This Mortal Coil
>>The Cure (Anything Past Pornography)
>>Nick Cave (Anything after the Birthday Party)
>>The Byrds
>
>Hey, kraant - next time I'm in Melbourne, remind me to thump you most
>soundly o'er the head.

For liking those bands or for thinking they are embarresing? :>

I'm only embarressed admitting I like most of those on alt.gothic.

This Mortal Coil, The Cure and Nick Cave, I'm just plain embarressed by
Fat Bubba and Nick went waaaay downhill later down the track. :P
And This Mortal Coil sound pretty but have >< much talent or song writing
ability.

>H*ydn www.goth.org.au I'msopsuedosopsuedoI'm www.darkwave.org.uk/faq/ag

? - Who forgot to mention "Not Drowning, Waving" and a couple of
other things he still can't remember...

*LittleChinaGirl*

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
In article <zayX5.2764$NB1....@news2.atl>,

"Jacqueline" <jacqu...@gothictomb.com> wrote:
> The band that I like that I'm kind of embarrassed to be known,
> especially on alt.gothic is...

I'm a Britney groupie. I love the tarty little girl thing, especially
that great high-camp Rolling Stone shoot. While I'm not a fan of the
tangerine pvc Oops look, I did like the glam factor of the Lucky
videoclip.

*LittleChinaGirl*
(wishing her old school uniform looked like that)

--
~...I can resist everything but temptation...~
email...china_doll@pretention.net =^;^=

Nick/Yaruar

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, *maniacbounce* wrote:

> > I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> > bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> > to mention on alt.gothic...

Not that I'm embarrassed at all, but some faves are...

Tansads
Digable Planets
Jason Rebello (greatest living Jazz painist...)
Citizen Fish
Kylie
Robbie Williams
Travelling Wilburies
Dire Straights....

Need I go on!

Nick/Yaruar

Message has been deleted

Spider

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
In article <qCEX5.64584$3u1.19...@news3.rdc1.on.home.com>,

"Elixxir" <eli...@hotmailSPAMSUX.com> wrote:

> Are you kidding? My lack of taste is legendary dammit. :)

It's Variety! But that must just be me trying to justify my taste...

<snip music I love<

> But the one that really has The Boy hanging his head in shame to be
seen
> with me lately is Eminem. There doesn't appear to be any defense for
that
> one...

You appricate his rhyming pattern? [1]

> Elixxir, Interrogator of the Male Mind
> (who can at least fall back on nostalgia to excuse the others...)

--
Spider
TurboTramp's PR Frontman
"And you can have this heart to break" -Billy Joel
[1] Who has the album... and Real Slim Shady is playing on my winamp
right now...

T300bps

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

Jacqueline <jacqu...@gothictomb.com> wrote

> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> to mention on alt.gothic...

Ooh! Ooh! This is fun.

I saw Def Leppard in concert over the summer. The most fun I'd had in a
VERY long time. Got a t-shirt even. I still have their early stuff on
vinyl. Hee hee. Nothing like the Lepps to make me happy monkey.

Rush, but I've admitted that one before.

My all time favorite band is still R.E.M.

T300bps
Who maintains that R.E.M. is GOTHASFUCK, and that Sting isn't embarassing.

T300bps

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

Tiny Human Ferret <kla...@clark.net> wrote

> I personally don't think I should be faulted for this, but I really like
old

> Oingo Boingo and Tangerine Dream. Kraftwerk is excellent, too.

Um, none of those three are "goth friendly"? Shit. Add them to my list.

T300bps
Boing Boom Tschak

T300bps

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

Johnan <las...@texas.net> wrote

> Old Culture Club tapes...

I have Boy George on my wall. I can see him from here.

Don't be afraid.

T300bps

Panic Girl

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 16:24:45 -0500, "Jacqueline"
> <jacqu...@gothictomb.com> shared with us all:

> >I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> >bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> >to mention on alt.gothic...

I have this strange fondness for Simon and Garefunkel.
PANIC

I used to dream and I used to vow.
I wouldn't dream of it now.
-Morrissey

zentariana

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:00:25 -0700, Panic Girl <hmcr...@ucalgary.ca>
shared with us all:

>I have this strange fondness for Simon and Garefunkel.

their greatest hits album was my first tape ever.. i looked at it and
asked what it was.. i didn't know you could buy music. confused the
hell out of me ;)

but it's good music to clean to!! i've scrubbed far too many floors in
a "ceclia" maddness :)

kest

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
In article <3a3ee444...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>,

zenta...@hotmail.com (zentariana) wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:00:25 -0700, Panic Girl <hmcr...@ucalgary.ca>
> shared with us all:
>
> >I have this strange fondness for Simon and Garefunkel.

SImon and Garfunkel (and just Simon) kick ass.

> but it's good music to clean to!! i've scrubbed far too many floors in
> a "ceclia" maddness :)

My roommate used to start every morning by putting on Cecilia. THen we
all danced around the living room in our underwear. Better than a cup of
coffee.

"It's just not a good idea to argue philosophy with God. Especially when
he's stoned."
-Spider, on God, Satan, and the duckbilled platypus

magdalene

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
>The Pogues, who nobody else in the world seems to listen to.

I /love/ the Pogues.
And "Fairy Tale in New York" is /required/ Christmas music to listen to in my
world.

~magdalene

"Those are my horns.
All blue people have horns."
http://www.manifest-angel.com/magdalene

S0r0wbrngr

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
>but it's good music to clean to!! i've scrubbed far too many floors in
>a "ceclia" maddness :)
>
>~becky~

"Oh Cecilia, you're breaking my heart....."
i'll stop there.

ian

"I'm in the MIDDLE of something Ray."
Sorow Bringer

SkellingtonScribe

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
I'm not embarrassed, in fact I'm very open, about my obsession with the Beatles.

SS
- Goo Goo G'joob

IHCOYC XPICTOC

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Panic Girl <hmcr...@ucalgary.ca> wrote:

: I have this strange fondness for Simon and Garefunkel.
: PANIC

I am a rock; I am an island. . . .

--
IHCOYC XPICTOC http://members.iglou.com/gustavus ihcoyc(at)aye.net
+ NOLI Vibrabimus volvemurque usque ad reditum boum. ABDUCI +
+ Let's put RU-486 in the water supply! +
**** This message has been placed here by the Tijuana Bible Society ****

Panic Girl

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, --nightshade-- wrote:

> and if that's not bad enough,
>
> i even sorta liked 'vision thing.'

Hee! I bought that freakin' album for ONE song, that
was stuck in my head for about three days. It was
the only way to exocise it.

Albatross

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 07:02:25 GMT, *maniacbounce*
<maniac...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>- Pat Benetar

I love the sone _We Belong_

>and... *drumroll*
>- The Osmonds
>*shudder*
>I have my reasons

I generally say there is never a need to apologize for what
you like. You like what you like, and that is that. I can't say that
here. Think Donny is a pretty good guy, though. Saw some profile of
him recently. Growing up Mormon, and feeling a lot of allegiance to
that, yet not being able to live fully in that culture... I sort of
have a feeling of empathy for him.

~

SkellingtonScribe

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

Tiny Human Ferret wrote:

> I personally don't think I should be faulted for this, but I really like old
> Oingo Boingo and Tangerine Dream. Kraftwerk is excellent, too.
>

> --
> Be kind to your neighbors, even | "Global domination, of course!"
> though they be transgenic chimerae. | -- The Brain
> "People that are really very weird can get into sensitive
> positions and have a tremendous impact on history." -- Dan Quayle

Oingo Boingo is awesome, one of my most favorite bands of all time. Couldn't
they be considered perky goth? Heck, why not?

SS
- Yeah!

T300bps

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

Marshdrifter <swa...@spam.centurytel.net> wrote

> Queen

Okay. How can the band who did "All Dead" NOT BE GOTH?!

T300bps
Who is spotting an AWFUL LOT of bands she likes in other people's closets.

T300bps

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

Stellar <he...@mindspring.com> wrote

> -or- Weezer....

Yay, Weezer! If I have the money, I'm gonna go see them in March! I think
they're coming in March. . .

T300bps
I look just like Buddy Holly.

T300bps

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

Glyph <gl...@bellsouth.net> wrote

> !!*Weezer*!!

All Hail Geek Rock.

There is NO SHAME in this. . .shit, "In My Garage" is like, my theme song or
something. I have 12-sided dice. . .but I don't like Kiss. That's the only
real problem.

T300bps

S0r0wbrngr

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

"Smoke pot. smoke pot. everybody smoke pot."
sorry, i'm trying to find something witty to say right now, but there's a lot
of turbulence in my life right now. and i don't know how to let it go.

T300bps

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

Elixxir <eli...@hotmailSPAMSUX.com> wrote

> Most of it revolves around bad 80's pop - Culture Club, Milli Vanilli,
Salt
> 'n Pepa, Technotronic, Juice Newton (good gawd...did I really just say
> that?!), Tiffany...I could go on and on.

There is a LOT to be said for late 1980's early 1990's dance. I love
Technotronic, C + C Music Factory, etc. . . Hell, I've got some Dr. Alban
and Yello .mp3s around here.

> Faster Pussycat

Hee hee. . .

> Motley Crue

I nearly pissed myself when I heard Electric Hellfire Club cover "Shout at
the Devil." I then found my old Crue cassettes. . .

T300bps
Okay, okay. I have no musical taste.

T300bps

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

The Dark Siren <drks...@aol.com> wrote

> ~Missy Elliot(awwww yeeeaaaah!)

Ding!

> ~Prince(heh!heh!)

Ding!

Add Erykah Badu and Me'Shell NdegeOcello to that list, and again, I hang my
head in shame.

T300bps
To be burned at the stake.

daterape babykiller

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

i like just about everything you guys put up, minus enimem and
backstreet boys, but i still have a few additions.

roy orbison
barry mannilow
marty robbins
george strait

daterape babykiller

--
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the
universe is that it has never tried to contact us. -Calvin

T300bps

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

Nick/Yaruar <yar...@twisted.org.uk> wrote

> Robbie Williams

Soda Ash dark secret number 37:

Erin, Mike, and myself LISTEN to "Sing When You're Winning" almost
constantly.
"Rock DJ" contains a third of our current media vernacular, i.e. "Damn, E.
Kick it wit your torso!" I know all of the words to "Forever Texas." I
sing it in the shower.

T300bps
The reason I'm doing you is cause your friend said no.

T300bps

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

Christina L Sawyer <cl...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote

> At least Sisters of
> Mercy played Sweet Home Alabama when we did that. :D

And lo, I hereby absolve Andy of any and all wrongdoing.

That is just too cool. Where did they do that?

T300bps
A slight case of overposting.

T300bps

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

Lucid H. Dreaming <dth2...@zen.art.rmit.edu.au> wrote

> Roxette

The pet English guy loves them, and I'm getting addicted.

> Duran Duran

Yummy. We covered "Notorious" at our latest St. Louis show.

> Genesis

Yay! With or withour Peter Gabriel? Did I mention I really like Peter
Gabriel?

> Radio Head

Women and children first. . .this is not really HAAAAAppening happening.

> Front Line Assembly
> Ministry
> Skinny Puppy

Um, how are these unacceptible?

> The Chemical Brothers

Ooooh. . .Likey likey.

> Human League

One of the best reasons to go to retro night, IMHO.

> Peter Gabriel

Ah, there he is. . .

> Soul Coughing

Getontothebus. . .

> The Police

I'm bound by international law to like anything Sting touches. The Police
rawk-diddly-awk.

T300bps

pixie

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:30:37 GMT, zenta...@hotmail.com (zentariana)
wrote:

>On 07 Dec 2000 06:29:16 GMT, drks...@aol.com (The Dark Siren) shared
>with us all:
>
>>~Prince(heh!heh!)
>
>you ever see his movie "purple rain"? we had that at my store and i
>rented it and fell in love all over again. and he did "when doves cry"
>which i -love- ..

When I was a kid, I had a thing for Prince.
Now mind you, the VCR was new technology for me at the time.

I used to tape music videos, though. I taped the "when Doves Cry"
video and would fast forward it, thinking if I made it move faster,
I'd be able to see his ass before he crawled off the screen. Not only
did my mom find this clearly stupid thing well, stupid, but I think
she was less than thrilled that her 8 year old daughter was so
desperate to see some ass.

^_^

pixie, who did see Prince's ass on the MTV awards, many years later
and was not that impressed.

"Although I am the gatekeeper to the gates of the
unholy boy's club known as hell, I am sensitive to
the needs of women, and I walk the path of evil
alone."

pixie

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:37:37 -0800, Hardrock Llewynyth
<hard...@speakeasy.org> wrote:

>Thus did Mark Greene <gree...@my-deja.com> the Unworthy write in
>this Year of Our Lord Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:42:10 GMT:
>
>>I've a few albums remaining, mostly 70's and 80's stuff I'm not at all
>>embarassed about.... the aforementioned Styx and Rush, Michael Stanly
>
>Rush. One of my all-time favorite bands.
>
>A band that could teach pretention to goths.

And see, you hate me so, and yet we have some much in common.

*big hugs*

pixie =)

pixie

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:41:13 -0800, Hardrock Llewynyth
<hard...@speakeasy.org> wrote:

>Thus did dth2...@zen.art.rmit.edu.au (Lucid H. Dreaming) the
>Unworthy write in this Year of Our Lord 7 Dec 2000 19:19:52 +1100:
>
>>? - Who realy is embarresed by liking any of this
>
>Why? I love most of those. There are a lot of really really good
>bands in that list. And most of the others at least have some
>camp/silliness value (like Green Day and Offspring, who i really
>like).

Nothing shameful about the pop-punk. I have all the Screeching Weasel
albums. And NOFX. And singles from both.

And Blink 182, which might actually be shameful, but they're fun,
mindless pop.

Which is sometimes what I need to listen to.

pixie, who almost bought the new Bratmobile album for that purpose.

Johnan

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Stellar <he...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:05:48 GMT, "Johnan" <las...@texas.net> wrote:
> >Old Culture Club tapes...
> >
> >(What? ME? Hell, no I never admitted to that!!!)
>
> Oh, come -on-. Embarrassed of liking Culture Club and Cyndi Lauper?
> According to you guys, I should be embarrassed of my entire music
> collection (which is available for public consumption at
> http://www.angelfire.com/goth/stellar/mymusic.html). I've got
> everything from ABBA to Frank Zappa (literally), and if I had to say
> there's one I'm a bit shy about mentioning, it'd be the Monkees. :)
> I think a good 85% of my music is so ungothy, most would freak. But
> nevertheless, I'm quite proud of my fondness for the eighties, and I
> never said I was goth to begin with. I'm just here. And I am just
> me. :)

Just checked out your collection on your site, and must say you've got good
taste... (definitely strange... but good...< I like that>)

I do think you're missing the subconscious intent of the thread... No one
posting is *actually* embarrassed about the music in their collections... it
is more of a identification of some of their more unusual items in contrast
to what would be considered "normal" for such a group of people... I would
actually pity the person who was so narrow in their interests that they
could only appreciate one type of music... regardless of what it was.

I liked "different" styles of music even when growing up. Growing up in the
'70s, overseas military tours in the '80s... it just added to my desire to
find new and different styles to fit my new and different moods. So each of
these eras hold important memories for me... Certain songs remind me of
special relationships... others remind me of trying times and emotional
tests... and some I like just because they had a catchy tune or a special
beat. My music reflects my life... both past AND present...

Johnan
(Who thinks he'll pop in the Village People tape after Sepultura... but only
after Lorenna McKennitt finishes...)

(Private Note:
Concerning your sales... I once sold a surfboard in the middle of Kansas...
what's the strangest sale you've ever made?)

T300bps

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00

StrangeGirl <r...@austin.rr.com> wrote

> Duran Duran. Old stuff, which I also possess far too much of on vinyl.
> <smaller voice>far too much = everything before 1988. Even rare stuff
> from Japan, Holland and Italy.

This is planet earth.

> Dead or Alive. My boi calls this the crowning jewel of my "Gay disco
> music" collection. I usually contend that Gay discos have great dance
> tunes and he shuts up ;)

No. There is NOTHING wrong with D or A. . . Any band that records "Sex
Drive" has my vote in a heartbeat.

T300bps

Johnan

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
pixie <ei...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> When I was a kid, I had a thing for Prince.
> Now mind you, the VCR was new technology for me at the time.
>
> I used to tape music videos, though. I taped the "when Doves Cry"
> video and would fast forward it, thinking if I made it move faster,
> I'd be able to see his ass before he crawled off the screen. Not only
> did my mom find this clearly stupid thing well, stupid, but I think
> she was less than thrilled that her 8 year old daughter was so
> desperate to see some ass.

I loved editing the scenes from movies and music videos to make my own
"custom" music videos... (Anyone remember how bad they looked before the
days of flying erase heads?)

I had this one that was "When Doves Cry" and "Purple Rain".... over, and
over, and over.....

Picture my suprise when one day I come home on a visit and find my mother
cleaning house to.... you guessed it.... Prince. It shouldn't have suprised
me, though. As a teenager, I came home one day and she was cleaning house to
my Japanese Koto Classics.... a record I found in a head shop in the '70s...

I guess music does join all generations....

Johnan

Jennie Kermode

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:05:48 GMT, Johnan <las...@texas.net> wrote:
>Err... uhmmmm... (looks over shoulder...)
>Old Culture Club tapes...

I have several Culture Club albums, and I'm not in the least
bit embarrassed by them (though I understand that Donald sometimes is). I
still dance to those songs in clubs.
I thought about this poll for a whole two days, but I can't
come up with anything by way of answer, for myself. I have a _huge_ number
of awful records, but that's mostly because I used to review such things,
and for a while I was the only person in our office with a CD player, so I
got everything which turned up in that format... even Sarah
Brightman. <shudder> I have other music which _other_ people consider
embarrassing, but I'll happily defend any of it. [1] But then, I've never
concerned myself with being gother than anybody, and I figure I have a
fairly well developed sense of camp.

Jennie

[1] I wonder how much harder I have to work to persuade Donald to
post... ;)
--
Jennie Kermode jen...@innocent.com
Webpages at: http://www.triffid.demon.co.uk/jennie

Jennie Kermode

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:55:18 -0500, rufus <ru...@bNOSPAMway.net> wrote:
>Mine are:
>Shania Twain

Generally speaking, if somebody made mainstream music during
the 'nineties, I don't know who sie is. People occasionally slag me off
for being so ignorant, for refusing to listen to that type of radio
station... then they bitch about the shite they have stuck in their heads,
realise that doesn't happen to me, and tend to see my point. All that I
know about modern music I gleaned from verbosely tripping gay friends and
the pages of the 'National Enquirer'.
Shania Twain is an exception.
Long before I heard any of her music, I observed the effect
which she had on Adsevin. Adsevin is normally a calm, quiet kind of
person, not given to violent bursts of rage. I never heard her rant about
anything else the way she ranted about that woman and the evil she has
done to country music. Never mind the evil she has done to the general
reputation of women. So when something came on the jukebox and I was told
it was Shania, I paid attention for once.
For that temporary lapse of form, I have paid an awful price.
Now, every time I go into a shop where one of Ms Twain's
dreadful songs is playing, I recognise it (her snide, yappy voice,
somewhat reminiscent of a yorkshire terrier after one too many alcopops,
is hard to miss) and I notice the lyrics. It really is painful. Several
tons of self-important adolescent angst and smugness condensed into three
minutes of unimaginative verse and chorus repetition. I cannot think of
any punishment which could be sufficient in this case; I only hope that,
one day, age and experience will enable Ms Twain to see the error of her
ways; and that, thereafter, she is strapped to a chair and forced to
listen to her entire back catalogue until she hates it as much as I do.

Jennie

Jennie Kermode

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:35:20 -0500, --nightshade--
<ns_de_cybax_ya...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>don mclean.

That's a man whom I can only listen to in small doses, because
he can overdo it with the sugar; but I do like a lot of his stuff. I think
he pushes it very close to the edge in terms of sentimentalism. When he
gets away with it, it's interesting.

>i own and occasionally enjoy listening to the soundtrack from hair.

I like 'Frank Mills'. It's a sweet song. I only have the
Lemonheads' version, though, which my ex taped for me.

Jennie Kermode

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 22:29:07 GMT, Greylock: Spookyfynder General and
Hammer of the Infidel <Hyd...@hotmail.GOV.invalid> wrote:

>Last episode Jhaerak <Jha...@btinternet.com> said:
>>> Most of it revolves around bad 80's pop - Culture Club,
>>Seen 'em live.

>'80s Culture Club, or the Sad Old Tranny tour?

Boy George's voice is always worth listening to live. Age has
only made it stronger. And his hats are wonderful. :)

Jennie Kermode

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:30:37 GMT, zentariana <zenta...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On 07 Dec 2000 06:29:16 GMT, drks...@aol.com (The Dark Siren) shared
>with us all:
>>~Prince(heh!heh!)

I like a lot of Prince's stuff. Almost saw him live back in
'87, but the gig was rescheduled, and when we were offered the option of
our money back my friend and I accidentally spent it on some clothes we'd
fallen in love with instead. Oops.

>you ever see his movie "purple rain"? we had that at my store and i
>rented it and fell in love all over again. and he did "when doves cry"
>which i -love- ..

'Purple Rain' is a truly awful, almost unbearably
self-indulgent film. I love it. I had to beg and beg Donald to let me tape
it. Wouldn't be entirely surprised if it's been 'accidentally' taped over
by now. I used to listen to that album all the time, back in the days
before most people figured me for a goth, when they would generally assume
I was a Prince fan because of the amount of purple I wore.

Jennie Kermode

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On 6 Dec 2000 22:18:57 -0500, IHCOYC XPICTOC <gust...@shell1.iglou.com> wrote:
>If classical is embarrasing, colour me pink. Of course, most of my
>classical music is Baroque or earlier. I used to think it was all
>downhill since Papa Bach died, until I realised: it's all been downhill
>since Pope Gregory died.
>Orff is probably the most embarrasing thing there.

I like Orff. :) And Bach. And Prokofiev and Shostakovich
and Schumann; and Rachmaninov, not just as a composer but especially as a
pianist.
I have always figured that I would greatly enjoy being able
to dance to the occasional classical piece in a club, but I don't think
it's ever likely to happen.

Gru the GothCop

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 18:36:24 GMT, "T300bps"
<T300bps.spam-me-and-die.@hotmail.com> mumbled:

>Tiny Human Ferret <kla...@clark.net> wrote

>> I personally don't think I should be faulted for this, but I really like
>old
>> Oingo Boingo and Tangerine Dream. Kraftwerk is excellent, too.
>

>Um, none of those three are "goth friendly"? Shit. Add them to my list.

I say they are!!!
Christ, O/B did "Dead Man's Party"
And Tang. Dream (at least one of the guys) did the song
from Legend.

Charles (aka: the Gruamach) http://gothcop.com
alt.gothic's own Garibaldi and Godfather of St. Louis
net.goths (especially the Perkys)

Gru the GothCop

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:21:35 GMT,
zenta...@hotmail.com (zentariana) mumbled:

>On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:05:48 GMT, "Johnan" <las...@texas.net> shared
>with us all:

>>Err... uhmmmm... (looks over shoulder...)
>>
>>Old Culture Club tapes...
>

>karmakarmakarmakarmakarma cameliaaaaaaaaaaan... :)

OHMIGAWD.
I was just scrounging thru some old boxes yesterday.
I found my Culture Club vinyl album!!!
(and Prince's 1999, too)

Gru the GothCop

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 18:32:53 GMT, "T300bps"
<T300bps.spam-me-and-die.@hotmail.com> mumbled:

>Ooh! Ooh! This is fun.
>
>I saw Def Leppard in concert over the summer. The most fun I'd had in a
>VERY long time. Got a t-shirt even. I still have their early stuff on
>vinyl. Hee hee. Nothing like the Lepps to make me happy monkey.

Amongst the Culture Club and Prince records I found in
my basement, there's also a 45 of.. "Who's Johnny" by
El DeBarge.

*sigh*
I bought some fucked-up stuff when I was younger.

Paul Kelly

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Jacqueline wrote:

> I've seen a lot of polls on favorite bands, especially concerning "goth"
> bands, but let's give up the band we like that we're too ***embarrassed***
> to mention on alt.gothic...

Of all the artists in my CD or mp3 collections, the only one that people roll
their eyes at when I mention her is Milla Jovovich.

Of course, this is only because my Warlock, Smashed Gladys and Boney M records
never come out in front of visitors...

Paul

--
"No one will ever prove that the souls of men become more unjust in consequence
of death."

It is loading more messages.