Riverdance & Celtic music

Mark V. Weber

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

I just broke down and got the Riverdance CD. Since I discovered Enya
{she *was* hiding my my back yard, you know ... ;-) }, I've gotten
very much into Celtic music. I've looked at Enya (all 4 CD's),
Clannad, Cheiftans and Riverdance. (Any recommendations for more
music from anyone along a similar vein?) I'm so happy, not only did I
find the song from Riverdance I liked - where the young lady (with
the sweet, spiritual, ghostly voice) was singing a capalla - I also
got the words to the song! I would like to share the words to this
song, as written in the CD jacket, with you'all, as they are so
beautiful. (BTW - The * song* is called Riverdance - I guess their
'signature'piece.....)

Hear my cry
In my hungering search for you
Taste my breath on the wind
See the sky
As it mirrors my colours
Hints and whispers begin

I am living to nourish you, cherish you
I am pulsing the blood in your veins
Feel the magic and power of surrender to life
(Uisce Beatha)

Every finger is touching and searching
Until your secrets come out
In the dance, as it endlessly circles
I linger close to your mouth.

Mark
==========================
non ex transverso sed deorsum
{Down, not across}

DarkAngelJ

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

Mark V. Weber wrote:

> I just broke down and got the Riverdance CD. Since I discovered Enya
> {she *was* hiding my my back yard, you know ... ;-) }, I've gotten
> very much into Celtic music. I've looked at Enya (all 4 CD's),
> Clannad, Cheiftans and Riverdance. (Any recommendations for more
> music from anyone along a similar vein?)
> Mark
> ==========================
> non ex transverso sed deorsum
> {Down, not across}

a good place to start is the "Celtic Heartbeat Collection".
They are compilation cds. I don't know how many are out but I
have really liked everything I've heard.
I have one called "Celtic Christmas" that I listen to all year long
just because it's that great.

speaking of compilation Christmas albums... does anyone have that
"Dark Christmas" (I think that is the title) out on Projekt? and if
so, Is it any good?

-Jen

Brunichild

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

Mark V. Weber wrote:

> I just broke down and got the Riverdance CD. Since I discovered Enya
> {she *was* hiding my my back yard, you know ... ;-) }, I've gotten
> very much into Celtic music. I've looked at Enya (all 4 CD's),
> Clannad, Cheiftans and Riverdance. (Any recommendations for more
> music from anyone along a similar vein?) I'm so happy, not only did I
> find the song from Riverdance I liked - where the young lady (with
> the sweet, spiritual, ghostly voice) was singing a capalla - I also
> got the words to the song! I would like to share the words to this
> song, as written in the CD jacket, with you'all, as they are so
> beautiful. (BTW - The * song* is called Riverdance - I guess their
> 'signature'piece.....)
>
> Hear my cry
> In my hungering search for you
> Taste my breath on the wind
> See the sky
> As it mirrors my colours
> Hints and whispers begin
>
> I am living to nourish you, cherish you
> I am pulsing the blood in your veins
> Feel the magic and power of surrender to life
> (Uisce Beatha)
>
> Every finger is touching and searching
> Until your secrets come out
> In the dance, as it endlessly circles
> I linger close to your mouth.
>
> Mark
> ==========================
> non ex transverso sed deorsum
> {Down, not across}

I LUV celtic music & i definitly recommend Loreena McKennit. My fav is
"Lady of Shallot"

Blade

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

Any Kate Bush fans out there?

I really *adore* the second side of Hounds of Love--it's a
trippy-concept-album story that is really GREAT to listen to at about
5:30 after the clubs...

--Medea the Black
There is a delicate balance in iDEATH. It suits us.

Atalanta Pendragonne

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

On 3 Jun 1997 11:53:36 GMT, "Mark V. Weber" <dutc...@villagenet.com>
wrote:

Haven't heard the Riverdance CD. I *did* pick up the Lord of the Dance
soundtrack, because it has a version of Siul a Ruin on it (one o' my
fave Celtic tunes). I listen to a lot of Celtic music, my favorites
tend to be a bit less "New Age"y, like Horslips, Steeleye Span,
Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Tempest, Boiled in Lead, and Black 47.

Check out the lyrics to "Twa Corbies" sometime.... ;>

Atalanta Pendragonne atal...@hotmail.com
"Wrap tight your cloak around me and I'll whisper close my dreams"
- Horslips, SWORD OF LIGHT
Mother of Serpents http://www.geocities.com/soho/2273
Atalanta's Bookshelf http://www.flash.net/~susan0

Ben Brooks

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97
to IrishRose

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, IrishRose wrote:

Try Loreena McKennit (sp?). She is Canadian-Irish. Wonderful music.

Ben

Ben Brooks
bena...@seattleu.edu

WWW: http://www.seattleu.edu/~benagain/bens.htm

LIT WWW: http://www.seattleu.edu/student/clubs/LIT/lit.htm

Spec WWW: http://www.seattleu.edu/student/spec/main.htm

Ben's Preditcion Rating: >90% for the last 3 weeks.

enigma

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

In article <01bc6fcb$397d79e0$Loca...@dutchman.villagenet.com>, "Mark V. Weber" <dutc...@villagenet.com> wrote:

>I just broke down and got the Riverdance CD. Since I discovered Enya
>{she *was* hiding my my back yard, you know ... ;-) }, I've gotten
>very much into Celtic music. I've looked at Enya (all 4 CD's),
>Clannad, Cheiftans and Riverdance. (Any recommendations for more
>music from anyone along a similar vein?)

try Kate Price, Mary Black, Sarah McLachlan

John Wolfe

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

Well...along the same lines as Riverdance...I would pick up Lord of
the Dance. I would also pick up the videos, as there is some
SPECTACULAR dancing in them. Both Riverdance and Lord of the Dance
are videos. And if either one of them come to your town, I would
highly recommend goind to See them, Michael Flatley is awesome

Drew
Meow

wrote:

>I just broke down and got the Riverdance CD. Since I discovered Enya
>{she *was* hiding my my back yard, you know ... ;-) }, I've gotten
>very much into Celtic music. I've looked at Enya (all 4 CD's),
>Clannad, Cheiftans and Riverdance. (Any recommendations for more

Sparrow

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

As a purist here, I feel I have to point out that while the Riverdance,
Loreena McKennit, Anuna, &c. music is very nice, it is not *traditional*
Celtic music, just rooted therein. Just looking for Mcs and O's on the
labels probably won't get you what you want if you are looking for the
floaty stuff, but if anyone is interested in recommendations for more
solidly traditional music I can provide those.

Mira(ge)

Tracy Sapperstein-Byrne

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

Hey Mark ... you may also want to check out Lord of the Dance ...
produced by Michael Flaterly (I believe he wrote it too). It's really
cool, the entire show tells a story about a sprite and the devil, and
Michael as the hero and the virgin in white, etc.

The music is phenomenal, the dancing is exciting, electric, and
erotic/exotic all at the same time. I'm not sure if it's out on tape
yet ... PBS was playing it for their annual fundraiser, and if I'd
pledged $200, I could have had it on tape, so I'm assuming it's
somewhere ... I havent seen it anywhere else yet though.

Best of luck,
Tracy
http://www.gocomptek.com
http://www.gocomptek.com/fairies
http://www.gocomptek.com/jaymar

Thessalia

Jun 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/9/97

In article <19970604010...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, sev...@aol.com
(Severr) writes:

>if you like enya, you'll also like loreena mckennitt...

I don't.
I spent seven years taking classical voice lessons,
and I can't stand to listen to LM for more than about
five minutes at a time because -she-cannot-sing-on-key-.
I don't like her, but I've had to put up with her so much
that I've grown used to her music. She has a few nice songs
(Lady of Shalott, The Dark Night of the Soul, The Old Ways),
but her total inability to nail her high notes sets my nerves
on edge. There are some nice women's Celtic cds out there
(my mom's into that stuff and has loads of it) with vocalists
of far higher calibre than Loreena (who is, AFAIK, Canadian
anyhow).

<wanders into other room to check mom's cd rack>

Yup. Mom has one by Narada called Celtic Voices:
Women of Song, which I seem to recall thinking was nice.
I have one called Celtic Odyssey that also had interesting
things on it. Nightnoise (a celticish-newagey band) has been
putting stuff out on Windham Hill forever; I'd recommend
"At the End of the Evening". Maire Brennan, singer for
Clannad, has a solo album or two out.

YMMV.

frogs and fishes from Thessaly
a veritable posting whirlwind this evening
~~ http://members.aol.com/~thessalia/rose.htm ~~
GC3.1A:GoHu5FA5Au3 TAnFeYin PMoPeRL B/14Bk]4"3z1
cBkNr-w9 V3.5s M3p2gD ZGoClIpbFan!! C6om a21+ n9A b54
H170 g8T0993A mEa2@Z6A$$ w7! v4 r7EB p4Z856Zz D57*!
h8{PR} sF9n SsYy kZ N0994ONEBH RzS*2p3 LusFL

miakodah

Jun 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/10/97

enigma wrote:

> In article <01bc6fcb$397d79e0$Loca...@dutchman.villagenet.com>, "Mark V. Weber" <dutc...@villagenet.com> wrote:
>
> >I just broke down and got the Riverdance CD. Since I discovered Enya
> >{she *was* hiding my my back yard, you know ... ;-) }, I've gotten
> >very much into Celtic music. I've looked at Enya (all 4 CD's),
> >Clannad, Cheiftans and Riverdance. (Any recommendations for more
> >music from anyone along a similar vein?)
>
> try Kate Price, Mary Black, Sarah McLachlan

capercaillie
mouth music (more "world" than "celtic")
and labels like narada, putumayo, etc. have celtic compilations which
might be good sources to find more stuff you'd like

jupiter

Jun 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/12/97

Atalanta Pendragonne (atal...@rocketmail.com) wrote:
: On Sun, 08 Jun 1997 12:02:25 GMT, don...@wizard.com (Filigree) wrote:

: He's from Canada. He's also fairly young (around 20 I think). So good

i can't remember the exact town but to be slightly more specific, it's
cape breton nova scotia.

: it's almost scary. I hear he's got *major* attitude. My roomate can't

well this is of course second hand, and therefore not totally reliable
info. but i guess he kept telling a very straight friend of mine to come
out of his closet or something of that sort. my best friend also can
confirm the attitude thing.

but then again can you really blame him he's young and the media
worshipped him until that interview with macleans.

: The music kicks major butt, though. I heard "Sleepy Maggie" on the
: radio & went out & bought the CD.
oh i have to disagree there, i like "devil in the kitchen" far better!
but yes i have to say that his music is really good.

jupiter
--

"little, little bug-lady. little lady who is a bug. if you are
not my friend, can squash you like the bug you are."

Sabre

Jun 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/12/97

Hello All!

Ashley MacIsaac is from Cape Breton. He plays the fiddle amazingly well.

I got to see him in concert back in May, and he's pretty amazing.
THere's something really cool about celtic-grunge-rock-fiddle with
bagpipes...heheheh

FYI - I believe that he's 18 (I know he's not yet twenty). He apparently
started playing fiddle when he was in VERY LOW single digit years.

~Caradwen~

Atalanta Pendragonne wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Jun 1997 12:02:25 GMT, don...@wizard.com (Filigree) wrote:
>

> >Ashley MacIsaac is a newer musician,, although I am not sure if he's
> >Irish, and his music mixes in a little contemporary stuff (meaning a
> >beat) but it's good!

> He's from Canada. He's also fairly young (around 20 I think). So good

> it's almost scary. I hear he's got *major* attitude. My roomate can't

> stop making fun of the picture of him on the back of my copy of the
> "HI HOW ARE YOU TODAY?" CD.... Young MacIsaac stands with a sullen
> face, grunge-esque plaid flannel shirt, kilt, and combat boots, feet
> planted far apart. My roomate says he looks as if he is trying to...
> ahem, perform the final step in the digestive process and needs more
> fiber.

> The music kicks major butt, though. I heard "Sleepy Maggie" on the
> radio & went out & bought the CD.

Chance Wheeler

Jun 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/13/97

On Tue, 03 Jun 1997 20:51:13 -0700, Brunichild
<Bruni...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I LUV celtic music & i definitly recommend Loreena McKennit. My fav is
>"Lady of Shallot"

I'll go along with this recommendation. On the way back from seeing
Highlander 3 (yeah, I admit to watching it, in public) my ex and I
went to Tower and I got the CD and she got the tape for Loreena's "The
Visit'. The song 'Bonny Portmore' hooked us.

It's more up-tempo, but there is a Celtic rock group named Tempest
that you might like (and I'm working on their web page). :) You might
also try Golden Bough, and some of the Celtic Collections have some
good stuff. I got one not too long ago with all women on it, and it's
great.

Chance
(who is working on too many web pages at the same time)

If you're real bored, check out my home page, with links to my
current web projects under 'My Business'. It's all at
http://www.speedlink.com/chance

MarQ

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:31:01 GMT, cha...@speedlink.com (Chance
Wheeler) wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jun 1997 20:51:13 -0700, Brunichild
><Bruni...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>I LUV celtic music & i definitly recommend Loreena McKennit. My fav is
>>"Lady of Shallot"

Found some interesting cd's at Target of all places, in their
"mood music display". They have 4 or 5 Celtic music cd's, I picked up
one called "Celtic Bagpipes", and it's wonderful...

>I'll go along with this recommendation. On the way back from seeing
>Highlander 3 (yeah, I admit to watching it, in public)

I might rent the directors cut of the original, but I'll only
admit to seeing H3 in bits and pieces on cable...

> my ex and I
>went to Tower and I got the CD and she got the tape for Loreena's "The
>Visit'. The song 'Bonny Portmore' hooked us.
>
>It's more up-tempo, but there is a Celtic rock group named Tempest
>that you might like (and I'm working on their web page). :) You might
>also try Golden Bough, and some of the Celtic Collections have some
>good stuff. I got one not too long ago with all women on it, and it's
>great.
>
>Chance

Try to find anything from an Australian band called "Brother"
wonderful music w/ pipes, caught them a couple times at the N Texas
Irish festival, unfortunately I missed them at the Scottish festival &
Highland Games a couple weeks ago. another little band that plays
mostly at Ren Faires (I think) is called the "Scottish Rogues", they
are a wonderful group of guys, and will even accept a bit of single
malt in place of tips.

MarQ
Despite the congress, Information and Our Minds long to be Free

Opinions expressed are solely my own, and do not nescisarrily
represent the opinions of life forms that evolved from the sludge
under Newt Gingrich's Mobile Whore House and Donut Shoppe.

Atalanta Pendragonne

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997 18:17:57 GMT, rho...@usa.net (rhowan) wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:18:32 -0700, Sabre <cara...@california.com> wrote:

>>> He's from Canada. He's also fairly young (around 20 I think). So good
>>> it's almost scary. I hear he's got *major* attitude.
>

>He was quite personable the times I've met him. Haven't heard a bad word about
>him, besides when the media got in a snit about his sexual practices.

Uuuuhhhhhh.... I guess that bit of gossip didn't reach the media down
in Austin, Texas... (prudently restraining prurient curiosity)

>*snip*

>>> The music kicks major butt, though. I heard "Sleepy Maggie" on the
>>> radio & went out & bought the CD.
>

>The singer for that song, Mary Jane Lamond just put out her second CD earlier
>this spring. Yet another good celtic musician to check out, although much more
>traditional in style than MacIsaac.

>>Ashley MacIsaac is from Cape Breton. He plays the fiddle amazingly well.
>>
>>I got to see him in concert back in May, and he's pretty amazing.
>>THere's something really cool about celtic-grunge-rock-fiddle with
>>bagpipes...heheheh
>

>And the kilt. *drool* Something about men in skirts... <sigh>.

Oh YES..... I came VERY CLOSE to waylaying a guy I saw in Half Price
Books a few months back.... tasty little guy in a Black Watch kilt,
cute even though he was a White Person With Dreadlocks (which I
usually think looks kind of dumb).

>>FYI - I believe that he's 18 (I know he's not yet twenty). He apparently
>>started playing fiddle when he was in VERY LOW single digit years.
>

>Actually Ashleys 21 (if not 22 by now), older than me anyway. He was about 8 or
>9 when he started playing fiddle, but he's been stepdancing from an even earlier
>age.
>
> ~rhowan (who luvs him, but is admitedly a wee bit biased since he's her cousin)

Wish I had a noteworthy relative... I'll just have to settle for
achieving some level of fame or notoriety myself... ;)

On the subject of Things Celtic, a new club opened up here in Austin
called FADO, and there is also one in Atlanta from what I hear. Can't
vouch for the one in Atlanta, but the one in Austin is pretty neat &
worth checking out.