The little Dubya that could

Masked Avenger

Jan 24, 2003, 8:58:57 AM1/24/03
How that do-nothing, know-nothing, drink-too-much moron Dubya got into Yale
and became the leader of the free world.

http://tinyurl.com/4ucf

Pelican

Jan 24, 2003, 9:03:42 AM1/24/03
Awww, i'dnt he cute with his Dubya fixation.

Trampolina

Jan 24, 2003, 9:55:18 AM1/24/03
You are aware that you will be flamed by knee jerk reactionaries who will
insinuate that he is a genius of a leader because of election results and
that he singlehandedly masterminded it all, aren't you? You brave soul.

"Masked Avenger" <ave...@msn.com> wrote in message

Pelican

Jan 24, 2003, 10:15:08 AM1/24/03

"Trampolina" <tr...@olina.com> wrote in message

> You are aware that you will be flamed by knee jerk reactionaries who will
> insinuate that he is a genius of a leader because of election results and
> that he singlehandedly masterminded it all, aren't you? You brave soul.

Or supported by knee-jerk reactionaries who will insinuate that he's a
drunken fool bent on murdering Iraqis and who is ruining our future and
stole the presidency.

Trampolina

Jan 24, 2003, 10:14:01 AM1/24/03
Yep.

"Pelican" <pelic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

XSweetSue

Jan 24, 2003, 11:24:56 AM1/24/03

You are aware that you will be flamed by knee jerk reactionaries who will
insinuate that he is a genius of a leader because of election results and
that he singlehandedly masterminded it all, aren't you? You brave soul.

There are a lot of republicans who are
less than impressed with GWB.
The idea of giving tax breaks or incentives to folks who buy gas guzzling SUV's
is
reprehensible. It would make much more sence to give the breaks or incentives
to those who buy gas SAVING vehicles.

Sara

Jan 24, 2003, 11:13:22 AM1/24/03
Pelican wrote:

You know, I always get a kick out of it when conservatives call liberals
reactionaries and knee-jerk reactionaries is even better. No wonder
they don't mind if Dubya has a problem with words.

The definition of reactionary is:

re戢c暗ion戢r暄
adj.

Characterized by reaction, especially opposition to progress or
liberalism; extremely conservative.

n. pl. re戢c暗ion戢r搏es

An opponent of progress or liberalism; an extreme conservative.

Pelican

Jan 24, 2003, 12:10:38 PM1/24/03
> The idea of giving tax breaks or incentives to folks who buy gas guzzling
SUV's
> is reprehensible. It would make much more sence to give the breaks or
incentives
> to those who buy gas SAVING vehicles.

Though you'll undoubtedly look it up now, chances are you have no idea what
his proposal was _actually_ about or said. (Hint: has nothing to do with
soccer mom or young corporate professional buying SUVs.)

Anonymous

Jan 24, 2003, 12:19:42 AM1/24/03
"Pelican" <pelic...@yahoo.com> wrote in

I agree that the tax break is more generalized and pertains to equipment.
I've owned my own business for years and have used the break several times
for computer equipment.

The break means that I can depreciate it ALL within a year instead of over
several years. The tax break is significant.

But there is specific language about cars - that the gross vehicle weight
must be over 6,000 pounds. It was originally intended to rule out "normal
vehicles" and was for farm equipment or heavier work trucks.

However, currently it is being used MUCH more often by business people who
use the loophole to buy SUVs and decked out, luxury pickup trucks ("A Texas
Cadillac") instead of farm equipment.

So it does indeed have to do with people buying SUVs - not "young corporate
professionals" as you say, but small business owners, self employed,
consultants, etc.

Big J

-----

http://www.usenet.com

Pelican

Jan 24, 2003, 12:47:02 PM1/24/03
> So it does indeed have to do with people buying SUVs - not "young
corporate
> professionals" as you say, but small business owners, self employed,
> consultants, etc.

Exactly. It's an expansion of an existing tax credit, and it's aimed at
(small) business investment. Anything that qualifies as a heavy truck fits
the bill. Sure, lots of people are going to buy the larger SUVs (the only
ones that qualify), and there will be a chunk of them who don't really need
such a vehicle, but it's hardly a simple "credit for buying SUVs!" I'm a
small business owner myself, and credits like this help quite a bit although
I don't have the money for a large SUV (nor the need). It also helps,
obviously, those who are in any way, shape or form connected to the sales of
such vehicles (cars, vans, heavy trucks), which is good for all kinds of
people who have no idea how good it is for them.

Anonymous

Jan 24, 2003, 2:01:37 AM1/24/03
"Pelican" <pelic...@yahoo.com> wrote in

But it is a VERY often abused loop hole. Having had a business for many
years, I've been advised by several CPAs and financial planners to buy heavy
luxury vehicles for that exact purpose.

One CPA told me that almost all of this kind of accelerated depreciation was
for vehicles. It's a known loophole. I'm not blaming any administration for
it continuing to be open. But the Bush administration is knowingly raising
it. And they know that it will primarily be for higher middle class people
to write a great deal of vehicle expense.

Aware1

Jan 24, 2003, 3:09:23 PM1/24/03
On 24 Jan 2003 01:01:37 -0600, Anonymous <Nobody> dented & constricted
& squeezed out the following:

>But it is a VERY often abused loop hole. Having had a business for many
>years, I've been advised by several CPAs and financial planners to buy heavy
>luxury vehicles for that exact purpose.
>
>One CPA told me that almost all of this kind of accelerated depreciation was
>for vehicles. It's a known loophole. I'm not blaming any administration for
>it continuing to be open. But the Bush administration is knowingly raising
>it. And they know that it will primarily be for higher middle class people
>to write a great deal of vehicle expense.
>
>Big J

I was surprised to read it covered Lincoln Navigators
and Cadillac Escalades (sp) - jeez people - !

Aware1 (I'm sure it's being milked for all it's worth!)

Prof. Wagstaff

Jan 24, 2003, 11:14:05 PM1/24/03
Only a person infected with a bad case of class envy would complain about
someone using their family connections and wealth to get to the top. Only a
liberal rag like TIME would know that pushing the populist buttons of
certain Americans would create such a reaction from readers.

You would use those kind of connections if you had them, too. Anyone would
and someone who says they wouldn't is a liar. It's called advantage, but
Bush used the kind that isn't federally mandated that says you have to
advance someone's progress someone because their skin is black, red, or
purple. The only advantage that counts in my estimation is what is provided
by the spoils of the free market system. Of course if you've never had
access to those spoils, you're going to resent someone like Bush who had.
Bush's silver spoon upbringing would be the last thing I would think of
criticizing him for.

When all else fails, attack the rich and influential, right?

I've been in enough college classrooms with minority admits who could barely
write a sentence or could read beyond a 9th grade level. But they were
admitted to college via federal mandate, so some wags in Washington could
prove to everyone how *compassionate* and *caring* they were for the plight
of the underclasses, never mind that they were dragging down the overall
value of the education at that particular institution.

Think about that.

Prof. Wagstaff

Jan 24, 2003, 11:20:41 PM1/24/03
What tax loop holes aren't abused? I've been an advocate of scrapping the
entire tax code and starting over with some kind of flat tax, but not
exactly like what Steve Forbes proposed years ago when he ran for prez, but
a code that would drastically limit the loopholes. The IRS just can't
enforce the present code anymore.

I know a small biz owner that writes off his a majority of his home electric
bill (as he claims that's where his main office is) and both his trucks,
even though only one is actually used in his trade. And somehow, he gets
away with it.

"Anonymous" <Nobody> wrote in message

Quatorzejames

Jan 25, 2003, 5:22:31 PM1/25/03

wagstaff said,

"You would use those kind of connections if you had them, too. Anyone would
and someone who says they wouldn't is a liar. It's called advantage..."

oh, listen to you you self-satisfied piece of trash!
you're saying basically, if the system works for you, you'd be crazy to change
it.
how selfish and myopic is that?
you need to reread what you wrote and look in the mirror.
there are plenty of "upper class" folks with wealth and connections who show
"class" of a different, more meaninful kind.
they volunteer, educate, lobby and promote a more level playing field.
they are honest about a system which promotes from within while denying the
same opportunities to those from deprived or disenfranchised environments who
are just as or more deserving.
your selfish, self-satisfied and rotten attitude is transparent, and your
argument will sway no one with any true "class".
no one is envious of your blindness and self-deception.
your words show you to be the real trash.
kiss my ass and go straight to hell.

Prof. Wagstaff

Jan 25, 2003, 9:24:27 PM1/25/03
Wow, such a warm and sensitive reply from a "tolerant" liberal. Your reply
warmed the cockles of my cold, insensitive heart. I never imagined that a
liberal could be so compassionate, caring, so sensitive, so tolerant of
another person's viewpoint. I feel bad, that me, a cold hearted
conservative, couldn't learn something from such a kind hearted liberal who
really loves humankind so so so much! I'm humbled, I really am. I think I'm
going out inthe cold and feed some homeless people now, perhaps invite them
back to my warm home for cocktails and a snack. Perhaps invite them in to
sleep on my $2,000 Persian rug, and if they choose to urinate on it inthe
middleof the night, so what? I will have done my part as a fine upstanding
humanitarian. Thank you, whomever you are quatorzejames" making me see the
light!

"Quatorzejames" <quator...@aol.com> wrote in message